Band Members Who Got You Into Other Bands

Alex

King Of The Wasteland
So you're listening to a band you like and you read/hear the news they're bringing in a new member/replacing an existing member. This new member comes in and contributes to songwriting and playing on the new album, it's different but you like it, so you decided to check out the new member's other work and you like what you hear.

Basically what bands have you got into because one of their members joined a band you already liked.

For me I got into I Killed The Prom Queen (and also Bleeding Through) because of guitarist Jona Weinhofen being in Bring Me The Horizon. I liked the BMTH album he was on and decided to check out the other bands he was in. First I Killed The Prom Queen and then Bleeding Through.

[YOUTUBE]ShYBjIfJX1A[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]c6MOiJmbrgg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]CRSXeKhFSOs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]sGojU1Mmgls[/YOUTUBE]

Still don't get my Bring Me The Horizon or Bleeding Through never let him do backing vocals, they're awesome.

So what bands did you get into because someone from a different band joined one you liked??

Great topic, I have discovered many bands because they featured members of other bands I liked already.

For example:

Guns 'N' Roses -> Slash's Snakepit -> Velvet Revolver -> Stone Temple Pilots-> Adler's Appetite

I was already a fan of Guns 'N' Roses, and after reading Slash's autobiography I decided to check out his side project "Slash's Snakepit" who released 2 albums in the 1990s. When I found out Velvet Revolver was made up of former Guns members that also led me to checking them out, and finding I liked the singer Scott Weiland's voice, and getting into classic grunge at that time, I checked out Stone Temple Pilots, finding another band I now love.

Also, from reading Steven Adler's book, I picked up the EP of his own short-lived band "Adler's Appetite", called "Alive". I highly recommend it- "Stardog" and "Alive" are awesome songs.

Another example is:

Rage Against The Machine -> Audioslave -> Soundgarden -> Temple Of The Dog -> Mother Love Bone

I first checked out Audioslave after finding out that they were a supergroup of Rage Against The Machine members with the singer from Soundgarden (who I only knew 1 song by), and I found I loved his voice. Because of that I ended up buying pretty much all the Soundgarden albums and even the side project he did with Eddie Vedder, "Temple Of The Dog", which is a great album. It was only after I bought it that I found out it was a tribute to Andrew Wood, the former singer of Mother Love Bone, who died of a drug overdose. Because of that, I listened to some MLB and found out I liked them too.

Megadeth
I discovered them through one of my roommates back in college. He and I were both Metallica fans, and he mentioned that Dave Mustaine went on to form Megadeth so I checked them out. A purchase of two albums for this band soon followed. I got their greatest hits as well as their new (at the time) album United Abominations that same semester.

Black Sabbath
Alright this one is a little more complicated. So I first discovered Dio through a South Park episode from back in 1999 that I first watched 16 years ago when I was a kid. I liked Holy Diver, the song that played in the episode. I became a fan of the real Dio and got his "Very Beast of Dio" greatest hits album. I eventually learned of his time in Black Sabbath, so I checked out some material from Dio's years in that band. Upon further research on the group it led to me purchasing a number of albums including two different Black Sabbath albums ("The Dio Years" a Dio era compilation and "We Sold Our Soul For Rock & Roll" featuring earlier songs with Ozzy) as well as a compilation of Ozzy's songs outside of Black Sabbath also. It's amusing that a joke South Park made would lead to me becoming a fan of two different musicians as well as a band they were both a part of.

Alter Bridge
Creed was one of my favorite groups when I was a teenager and I had all three of their albums so when I learned that Creed's former members had gotten back together with a new singer under a new name, I had to check that out immediately. I prefer Creed to Alter Bridge, but this definitely was a case of band members getting me into other bands.

Foo Fighters
Similar to my fan origin story for Alter Bridge. I became a fan of their earlier work (haven't heard much of the new stuff) due to Dave Grohl having been in Nirvana before Foo Fighters. The only album of Foo Fighters that I've ever purchased was "The Colour and the Shape", although the backstory for my buying that album fits exactly what this thread asked about.

There's more that I may be forgetting, however these are the first ones that came to mind. I've been recommended some of the material done by the three different lead singers who have been in Nightwish (my favorite band) outside of Nightwish, I just haven't gotten around to checking out much of any of their other work yet.

Jane's Addiction

So I'm a massive Red Hot Chili Peppers fan and was on a roll buying all their albums. I got One Hot Minute aka the album they did in the 90s everyone forgets about. It has Dave Navarro on it who had replaced John Frusciante. It's a really good album and I liked Dave Navarro's heavy output on it. This led me to check out Jane's Addiction the band he was in before and boy do I love Jane's Addiction. They're both funky and heavy at the same time which to me is the perfect match

Alter Bridge
Creed was one of my favorite groups when I was a teenager and I had all three of their albums so when I learned that Creed's former members had gotten back together with a new singer under a new name, I had to check that out immediately. I prefer Creed to Alter Bridge, but this definitely was a case of band members getting me into other bands.

Yeah that was the same for me, I was a HUGE Creed fan (still am, really), with "My Sacrifice" still being in my top 10 favourite songs of all time. I remember being absolutely gutted when Creed split up, but was delighted when I heard they were reforming with a different singer.

Yeah, the music is different to Creed but still awesome. I haven't seen Creed live but have seen Alter Bridge 3x and they are a phenomenal live band. I probably would have checked them out and become a fan sometime, but it was because of Mark Tremonti, Scott Marshall and Scott Phillips being in the band that made me pre-order their debut album without having heard a track.

I haven't listened to Myles Kennedy's previous band "Mayfield Four" but I've wanted to for years...I'll have to pick up some of their material soon, then they can be another band added to this list!

I was a big Shin's fans and freaked out when I heard that he came out with a new collaboration called Broken Bells. Different music styles but I dig both immensly. Especially since Danger Mouse is involved.

Bump

Tomahawk/Mr Bungle

Just been listening to the new Faith No More album and completely forgot that because of Mike Patton I checked out his other bands Mr Bungle and Tomahawk

[YOUTUBE]TwWQYg7aS5o[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Jt856_nRxQk[/YOUTUBE]

Even though he's the singer in all three bands he brings something different to each one. I especially like how in Mr Bungle he and the rest of the band can shift styles so seamlessly. I like how he adds all these effects to his voice as well (something he started to do with Faith No More as well)

Bump

Tomahawk/Mr Bungle

Just been listening to the new Faith No More album and completely forgot that because of Mike Patton I checked out his other bands Mr Bungle and Tomahawk

I also forgot Mike Patton got me into The Dillinger Escape Plan. He was the guest vocalist on their EP Irony Is A Dead Scene while they were looking for a permanent vocalist.

The Dillinger Escape Plan are known for being weird with their music and so is Mike Patton so they fit together quite well (I think they've even said Mr Bungle influenced them somewhat)

[YOUTUBE]ySiW7HZFONo[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]Xp8U6Mt_OG8[/YOUTUBE]

After that I checked out the other Dillinger Escape Plan stuff and love it. It's heavy, weird and generally artistic, that's why I love it

[YOUTUBE]MqXVBeEuwLU[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]d-FKM3eZTO8[/YOUTUBE]

I'm guessing that nobody likes Dave Grohl then?

I was pretty deep into the Seattle Grunge scene while growing up(not in Seattle). Four of my favorite bands -- Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Sound Garden and Alice in Chains -- came from that scene. The one that stood out to me was Nirvana, in that Kurt Cobain had somewhat of a passive aggressive tone to his music that seemed to relate to feelings of angst toward the sick sad world around him. So yeah, he was vaguely goth/emo. I didn't project that image, but I found Kurt's style to be the most emotionally compelling of the four.

We all have theories regarding the circumstances of when Kurt's story ended, his passing left fans still wanting more. Dave Grohl was Nirvana's drummer, and after Kurt's death he started Foo Fighters and participated in Queens of the Stone Age. Diehard fans I knew didn't seem impressed, mainly because Dave Grohl is a very happy person.

What stands out to me about the Foo Fighters music is that it really does make me feel good. For me; It's not music about ignoring the fact that the world is messed up, it's music about encountering hardships and overcoming them.

I was in basic training having to evolve from a sloppy punk into a clean cut service member, and my ever so stern instructor was the last person I thought I could ever relate to in this world. While other training instructors would blast death metal to project a more macho image of themselves into our minds, my instructor would play the Foo Fighters.

I remember clearly that I was pretty much at my wits end thinking that I absolutely could not adapt and was contemplating meeting with my instructor to explain why I needed to go home, and I heard this song from his office:

[YOUTUBE]1VQ_3sBZEm0[/YOUTUBE]

It was the perfect song, at the perfect time. I had seen the video before signing up, so images of it filled my head. The band in wacky costumes playing out a comical setup to what would be a pretty intense moment, Tenacious D making a special appearance also. It reminded me that I was a goofy kid being faced with an overwhelming task that would decide the rest of my life, I was looking to the sky to save me if you will. The band overcomes the challenge, and I recognized then that in spite of everything that could go wrong to inspire the events in that video, they're alive and well for having stepped up and challenged themselves to succeed.

Everytime I listen to that song, it gives me goosebumps. I have Nirvana to thank for giving Dave Grohl that initial cred, and Dave Grohl did a lot to help us better recognize an awesome band called Tenacious D.

I used to listen to Brit Band Oasis, OK the Gallagher brothers are a pair of *****, but they can sing incredibly, "Don't look back in anger" was class IMHO.

Faith No More is easily one of my favorite bands of all-time. Mike Patton is so talented and versatile that it was a no-brainer for me to start listening to Mr. Bungle. I'm not familiar with Tomahawk but will check it out because of this thread.
I've been a fan of both Guns N Roses and Stone Temple Pilots for decades, so naturally I liked Velvet Revolver. They weren't great but were at least solid for a time.
I believe Chris Cornell may have the best voice in rock n roll right now so I'll give a chance to pretty much anything he does. I was initially hesitant to give a chance to Audioslave(busy pouting about the ruination of two of my absolute favorite bands, Soundgarden and Rage, lol) and it seemed an odd mesh to me. I wasn't thrilled when first hearing them and it wasn't until years later that I gave them a real chance. Even now I find their albums a bit lacking, but think their live stuff is exceptional. Cornell also led me to being a fan of Temple of the Dog.
This is just off the top of my head, after I think on it I'm sure I'll be able to find more examples. Fun thread topic!

I'm a huge Killswitch Engage fan. As a result, I've tuned in to the other works of its members, past and present.

Jesse Leach got me into The Empire Shall Fall and Seemless.

Adam D got me into Aftershock.

Both of the men above got me into Times of Grace, which I love just as much as KsE itself.

Mike D'Antonio got me into Overcast and Death Ray Vision.

Howard Jones and JFo got me into Blood Has Been Shed; the former now being the front man of Devil You Know, I also give them a listen.

EDIT: failed to mention Joel Stroetzel, who was also part of Aftershock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back