Bad News Barrett is the *NEW* Intercontinental Champion

CyberPunk

The Show himself
So, last night BNB defeated Dolph Ziggler in a 2/3 falls match to become the new IC champion. I am not a fan of hot potato of championships but this was... All I can say I didn't see this coming, not until Kane came out. That raises the question: is BNB part of authority now? Or was this a way of taking the IC title off Ziggler to prepare him for bigger and better things? What this means for BNB?

Discuss.

And the IC title continues to be degraded.

I doubt they're pushing Ziggler up, as Barrett didn't get that much help. Plus, Reigns and Bryan are probably next in line. Maybe Rollins too. Too much championship material. Ugh, I have a feeling that we're going to see another round of hot potato for this worthless belt. Can anybody have stable IC reigns anymore?

Given BNB winning back the title, Paige practically going face, Alicia Fox going back heel and also the 3 Team Cena guys being fired... I think WWE is now in reset mode and is retracing their steps and doing what was supposed/planned to be done coming out of NoC, but was derailed due to injuries to Top Guys, etc.

The hot potatoing is dumb but it fits with the storyline, better for BNB to get it than having the IC champ get fired. For BNB it helps get him back to where he was pre-injury and also re-established him as a major heel, which I think he needed after getting some cheers last week. If BNB joins the Authority it'll be a mixed bag of mostly good I guess. Authority gets some new blood that isn't on the wrong side of 40 and BNB will have extra help keeping his title which also comes with even more heat. Drawback being between HHH, Steph, Rollins, Kane and possibly Big Show GL getting some decent mic time there Barrett.

As for Ziggler who knows? He looked strong again as he eventually lost the title after a brutal match and everytime he drops the title I hope that he moves on to bigger and better things, but now that he's "fired" he'll be off TV and thus losing momentum. I think if they really wanted to push him firing him by himself would've gotten him a lot more sympathy and made more sense considering how much more he did for Team Cena than Rowen and Ryback combined.

I was really hoping that that match could happen at Wrestlemania in order to give both guys exposure and a quality storyline, but they just threw another title match on free TV without any build-up.

I can't understand why they do that. Seriously. How does this even help the mid-card titles? The only thing it does is creating shock only for a moment. No build-up, no storyline.

Personally, I doubt Ziggler, Ryback and Rowan will be gone for more than a week. It might be a case where they force their way into the building- Big Show style- or Cena will fight to reinstate them.

Damn, I mean if they were going to fire Ziggler, I mean I'm glad Barrett is champ again but they should have just stripped Dolph of the title, held a tournament, BNB wins it at Fast Lane and Ziggler comes back, then boom we have our storyline and match at 'Mania for the IC title.

That raises the question: is BNB part of authority now?

Damn, I hope not. Two reasons: First, if they start randomly adding members to the Authority, it could get to the point where it looks like NWO..... not when Hall, Nash & Hogan initiated it, but when they began adding people like Scott Norton and Louie Spicoli, heaven help us.

Second, if ever there was a performer whose best legacy comes as a single act..... a dominant personality born to lead rather than follow..... it's Bad News Barrett. I would hate to see him become just one more sword-carrier for Triple H and Stephanie, apparently sublimated in the service of Seth Rollins' advancement. Unless there's a plan to patty-cake the IC title, let Wade do things by himself.

Then again, if they wanted to have Barrett join the Authority in order to affect a schism, splitting the group into two sections, that might be another story. That could be right up Wade's alley.

Damn, I mean if they were going to fire Ziggler, I mean I'm glad Barrett is champ again but they should have just stripped Dolph of the title, held a tournament, BNB wins it at Fast Lane and Ziggler comes back, then boom we have our storyline and match at 'Mania for the IC title.

Yeah, that would make sense. When was the last time there was a good-sized tournament for a belt? There are plenty of people who could have been added to a tournament like this, and it could even have been done as a 1-night KOTR style thing, but no...WWE just makes Ziggler lose the belt again in a random match to a bloke just back from injury.

Dolph is "Fired", I get that. So maybe WWE didn't want the IC Champion off screen while the WWE Champion is also not on TV every week, so I can sort of see why they've done it but it just screams out to me that title changes and plans are being written last minute on a weekly basis and there is no long-term plans written out for guys like Ziggler.

He isn't going to be in the main matches at WrestleMania, so why not let him try and bring some prestige back to the Intercontinental Title, rather than play hot potato with it. I'd like to see the title get a prominant spot on the WM card, but I'm not holding my breath.

Im afraid I got some Bad News! My boy is the New IC Champion,and i also didnt see that coming as well. Not until Kane forgot to mention it was a 2/3 falls match. Wade never lost the title,he got stripped because he got injured. So naturally when he was able to compete again,he got his re-match clause..

As far as the authority goes,adding him IMO wouldn't be too bad.. They need a title holder in the authority so why not add Barrett? Just as long as they dont go the NWO rout and add the popcorn guy and everyone else. I am probably in the minority here,i still think their is hope for the IC title.

I think Wade can add prestige to the belt as long as he can stay healthy. If he joins the authority so be it! I honestly dont see anything wrong with it

This goes all the way back to MITB in Barrett's case, when he got hurt. Remember how Trips was putting Barrett over in that "line up reveal" promo? He did the impression of him which was a real foreshadow that he was planned to walk out with the case rather than Rollins, the whole ending with Kane seemed to be improvised around Barrett suddenly not being "that guy".

So now Barrett is back, the best thing they can do is build him for this years MITB (which I am pretty sure he will win as IC champ..) and another feud with Dolph isn't going to do that.

As I've mentioned in other threads, there is one direction this is going in for BNB... and it's to face Chris Jericho, possibly at Wrestlemania if they can talk him into it. This feud has never happened yet has the most "sizzle" and history of almost any potential feud WWE have. NXT Rookie and Mentor facing off would be a major selling point with NXT being so prominent, also that Jericho would be going for the 10th IC title... indeed, they made a big point of telling you on the post match promo BNB is now a 5 time IC champion... Jericho perhaps gets his 10th title at Mania and the feud goes through to Summerslam... Those two in the MITB match for example would add a real feud element... perhaps Jericho doesn't get that 10th title and falls found of a "Bad News" moment where it was a career match? Either way Barrett elevates both the title and himself if that feud can happen.

If not Jericho? Then perhaps a feud with Sheamus when he returns or even a debuting Adrian Neville? Remember they always do a UK tour the fortnight after Mania, so a returning Sheamus or Neville would be a great "live crowd" match for that.

There have been a relativly high number of IC title changes, but that's not really a bad thing. Ziggler's character lends itself to shorter reigns and re-capturing the belt, but the reality is had Barrett not been hurt, he would very likely STILL be IC champion now and the MITB holder... Things like Survivor Series would have been different and Rollins may not have gotten quite the mega push he has.

I agree there is a bit of a "reset" going on, but the reality is that they have to reset some of the pieces now Bryan is returning. WWE have been smart in neutralising the "face" turn that seemed inevitable for BNB, in favour of keeping him a strong upper mid card heel. He's currently far stronger than anyone pretty much below Rollins and Trips, which for a week back is good going.

Quite where they are going with Dolph now I am not so sure... I am guessing a Rumble return for all 3 "fired" guys is on the cards once Sting gets involved. One thing I did think of, especially if BNB did join the Authority would be this could be the time for Ric Flair to return along with Orton, Ziggler, Ryback and Rowan as a variation of the Four Horsemen... Rowan in particular could get some storyline potential from being "taught" by Ric... We've long seen Zig and Ric touted as a pair... we know Ric and Orton have history, Ryback is a pretty good "enforcer" and Rowan could be the hidden "gem" just waiting to be polished by Flair with Sting or Jericho as alternates if they decide to have Ryback outside to feud with Rusev... Horsemen v Authority is a pretty interesting idea.

So, last night BNB defeated Dolph Ziggler in a 2/3 falls match to become the new IC champion. I am not a fan of hot potato of championships but this was... All I can say I didn't see this coming, not until Kane came out. That raises the question: is BNB part of authority now? Or was this a way of taking the IC title off Ziggler to prepare him for bigger and better things? What this means for BNB?

Discuss.

Good move by The Authority! It's going to help the fans get behind Ziggler even more as he chases the IC Championship again, making the IC title continue to seem important.

I don't think BNB is a part of The Authority, he should be though. He could be the muscle of the group. Nobody is scared of Kane.

I think for BNB, it draws him more heel heat. It would be great to see him being an ally of The Authority and Kane etc. still have his back protecting him as IC Champion. I can't remember the last time a IC Champion was a priority to stay as champion

Good move by The Authority! It's going to help the fans get behind Ziggler even more as he chases the IC Championship again, making the IC title continue to seem important.

I don't think BNB is a part of The Authority, he should be though. He could be the muscle of the group. Nobody is scared of Kane.

I think for BNB, it draws him more heel heat. It would be great to see him being an ally of The Authority and Kane etc. still have his back protecting him as IC Champion. I can't remember the last time a IC Champion was a priority to stay as champion

I do think BNB is like an outsider member of the Authority, as I can clearly remember him being treated as such pre-injury with matches against Ambrose and Reigns on SmackDown!

I have said that with his Bad News schtick, he would be a great alternative to Kane, and such a role could legit have helped him get higher on the card. Kane is old and can surely move onto something else,lMO.

I am not 100% on rematch clauses, but I was fairly certain you had to fight the match against the title holder you lost it to. Also, you have to be the holder's very next title defense.

Everyone keeps going on about this like it's canon but if we go this way, I am fairly certain half the roster is owed a rematch clause for one match or another.

To put it clearly, Orton lost the title at WM30, so he is entitled to a rematch against Lesnar? How is that a "rematch"?

BNB never lost the title to Ziggler, so again, how is this a "rematch"? Also the title changed hands a few times there, and if he wanted a match against the wrestler who took the title after him, shouldn't he wait until The Miz is the IC Champion again?

That being said I am glad he has the title again, now hold it for a year please. In the last four months it's changed six times. That's just shy of 3 weeks per reign.

I went to a recent Holiday Tour at the Staples Center and Bad News Barrett got one of the lowest pops on the entire roster. Is he even a heel? I thought he was a good guy a few weeks ago. Seems like his heel angle is forced...
Anyway - WWE can try and push him like Drew McIntyre but in the end it will be BAD NEWS..this guy just doesn't have it and the fans don't care about him

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back