Austin vs. CM Punk - Is It Set In Stone?

pag_v1

Dark Match Winner
Before i begin this is just things me and friends have noticed watching WWE lately and these are theories basically, i'm not saying this match is happening Definately as much as i want to see it. Nor am i trying to create a bullshit thread, i'm just sick of seeing the Cena Hater threads and the PG era sucks Threads i thought i'd post something a bit different. I know there are plenty of other CM Punk vs Austin Threads as well with the dream match scenario but i'm focusing on stuff that we have seen. While i realise there is probably no truth to any of this, it's partly for fun, and partly to get opinions, and i guess some good hints and most likely amzing coincedance, or even just Punk, Austin and WWE having some fun. I could be just thinking too much but eh, Bear with me this could be long.

I was watching the New Stone Cold DVD The Bottom line...etc we all know the Title. And it was an amazing trip down memory lane with his Career excellent DVD package for those who haven't seen it already.

I got to the part where they show his HOF induction, and even though i have seen it countless times. I was watching Vince go through his terrible Jokes, and then he Goes to the video package. This one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d5n1IoqWFw

I'm watching and at 1:47 i hear a familiar song. Yes CM Punks Entrance Music, "Cult of Personality" by Living Colour. I'd forgotten all about this to be honest, and was thinking it was an amazing coincedence. And i know Punk used to use this Music back in ROH days, but you would think Both Austin and Punk would have known this. Punk was set to Win the MITB at that years WM, so was on the rise, and as Austin has stated he is a fan of Punks work, so i wonder if it was a nod. I then got to thinking about other nods and references not only i had seen but Again mates had as well. An even if the Match isn't set to eventually happen, i though maybe WWE and Punk and maybe Austin are putting little nuggets out there. So-to-speak.

A week or so before the famous Punk Promo, Austin and Punk had a small backstage segment on Raw, you could already see the chemistry between the two and that backstage segment is one of my favourite small surprises of 2011 (along with the brief Austin Rock backstage bit at WM 27) but Punk thanks Austin for setting in stone future events basically. As we now know to be the Shoot Promo etc, but i can't help but wondering if they were also mentioning hints at a match. And more event down the road.

* We all know the night Punk delievered his "Shoot" promo, he was wearing a Stone Cold T-shirt. Again to me adding more fuel to the slowly burning fire.

While i don't think Austin has said much about his shirt yet, if so someone send me a link. But i found it interesting.

Since then, Punk has thrown out small hints in his matches, and some promo's.
I'm sorry i can't remeber exact Raw's and Matches here but hopefully someone can help. But here is what i have seen. In no particular order since the shoot promo.

*Punk in a Match has opponent down in corner ( i think ADR) and proceeded to stomp at him, very similar to Austin, The commentators also make reference to Punk "Stomping a Mudhole".

* At Survivor Series Punk wears a Black hoodie with H2O on it, i didn't pick up on it but My mate was saying the design was very similar to a Austin Hoodie That had alcohol References on it. Again if someone could help with references. But i agreed it was odd, but also said he is straight edge so it works either way, but he was possibly having a sly Shot at Austin as well, or some fun.

* a Recent Promo on Raw Punk says something along the lines of he'd rather get Drunk, but he doesn't do that. Again could be harmless fun, and more references to his Straigth Edge life, but i do wonder if it has a bit more meaning.

* The Promotion for the new Stone Cold DVD, i have noticed it is always before or after CM Punk is on screen or in a match. Again they can show it anywhere in the show but most of the time i have seen it is before punk is on or just after. I will admit i could be wrong on some things i don't get to watch every RAW, Smackdown etc lately with work and stuff but again bear with me.

* On the New Stone Cold DVD, there is a extra section where Austin is answering some Twitter Questions, and When asked if he would come back and Face someone, he basically says something along the lines of, well no one has pissed me of yet, but...and then they show images of some Wrestlers he hasn't faced. First image is CM Punk, and it kinda delayed for a few more seconds then the others. He then says if they ever did he would have no hestiation opening a can of whoop ass. Agiain the first image is Punk.

* Both with their on going Twitter Battles. Yeah i know they don't really hate each other etc, but again every now and then it fades away only to start back up again, like they are keeping it going for a greater purpose and to keep it fresh in peoples mind, again harmless fun most likely but still as entertaining as i find it, its still intruiging.

There are Probably more hence me starting the thread, Like i said i could be reading into this too much at times, like many i want to see the Match but i find it interesting. And hope maybe WWE, Austin and Punk are planting seeds slowly.

But if anyone knows what references i mean or any others, post vids, and add to the discussion if you feel there is a reason too. I'm sure there are probably more hints, but again i feel in the end it is just Punk having some fun and trying to get people talking, which isn't a bad thing. But Seriously this Match would be awesome.

I think a lot of it is them simply working the fans just for their own entertainment, and IF a match does eventuate from it, it would simply be a bonus. While WWE does on the rare occasion put together campaigns that are well though out in advance, I think this is simply a chain of coincidences which appear to fall into place, but do so unintentionally. I don't think too much can be read into the HOF package or the H20 hood, but the stuff that's happened in the last 6-9 months I think is an allusion to a possible feud, but no more so than the 2-21-11 were allusions to Sting. It's a possibility, but I think the scenario is no more than that at this point.

You make some very good and interesting points that I would never think to connect and if Austin were to come back for one more match it would absolutely be with punk. The only problem is he wont. Austin is severely hurt. I think he is smart enough to realize that if one thing goes wrong he could be in a wheelchair. For this reason I dont think the match will happen as much as many people including myself want it to happen.

Punk and Austin will happen........... Next year for wrestlemania. The Rock is here this year Austin will be having his next wrestlemania moment next year. Rock vs. Cena and Punk vs Jericho along with Taker vs HHH headlines this year. Over the next year Punk will turn into a mega heel really pushing the straight edge thing again making perfect sense for a return of Austin. JR has said if he had to guess if Austin would ever wrestle again he would think it would be next years wrestlemania. Of course we have all heard austin say he would like to work punk. I would also look for Mr. Lesnar now that things in UFC have fizzled to appear as well.

You make some very good and interesting points that I would never think to connect and if Austin were to come back for one more match it would absolutely be with punk. The only problem is he wont. Austin is severely hurt. I think he is smart enough to realize that if one thing goes wrong he could be in a wheelchair. For this reason I dont think the match will happen as much as many people including myself want it to happen.

Apparently you have been living under the stone this match has apparently been set in as Austin has been stating over and over and over again this past year that if need be he could easily wrestle a GOOD YEAR, not just ONE MATCH but he has stated he was in a pinch his body could easily handle a year of WWE wrestling.

So your theory is wrong but we all have our opinions right?

I still think there is time for this match at this years Mania if reports about Punks demotion are founded, then they could turn him heel for a match against SCSA.

I think that most of the stuff you said such as punk stomping mudholes, and wearing the austin shirt is just punk honoring his favorite wrestler. If you watch the special features on the new austin dvd, one of them is cm punk talking about how much he respects austin.

And h2o is a new york based straight edge punk band. Cm punk is friends with them. And survivor series was in new york.

Obviously not that hurt, he's been doing heavy action films for the past few years and has done some in ring since he "retired"

Ever think he may be as healed as he's ever gonna be. Ya know surgeries can perform miracles and it's been 8yrs since his last official match.

Hell he wrestled for 4yrs as the top draw on what could've crippled him at any time.

Lastly that's the danger they all face, just ask Darren Drozdof, he was a quadraplegic for a few yrs and now is just crippled from the waste down and he was only in a midcard match and took a running powerbomb.

If he wants to, only Austin knows if he's capable of, obviously the desire is there.

They will absolutely, positively, beyond a shadow of a doubt, have a wrestlmania match in the year 2013. Why?

Think about this... who's the bigger star? Austin or Rock? Cena or Punk?

Let Cena and Rock have a go.....next year, let Austin and Punk have a go.....

I'd rather see Austin Punk. I, personally, would rather take a dump then watch John Cena wrestle. But since it's mania, and it's rock, and it'll go on last. I'll watch.

CM Punk wearing the stompin mudholes shirt is fucking awesome. you never see shit like that. it's so awesome. he's like fuck yeah i'm wearing a stone cold shirt and cutting a bad ass promo. i can actually wrestle. i cut good, edgy, and DIFFERENT promos each time. i am the best in the world

First, to confirm what somebody said - Austin is HEALTHY. He has said he could return to wrestling on a full time basis for a year or two at least, but chooses not to because of the toll it would take on his body. One match is not going to take a toll on his body.

And I agree with somebody else who said that a lot of what Punk does is simply to honor Austin. It's not just Austin. Punk has been a huge wrestling fan his entire life and honors various wrestlers with various moves on basically a nightly basis.

That being said, they're clearing hinting at the match. I'd be amazed if a lot more people hadn't noticed this, as they're not exactly being coy about it. Is it "set in stone?" Absolutely not. But neither was Rock-Cena when Cena kept talking trash (talking truth) about The Rock all of those years. At the time it was just having fun, with the door open for a possible match in the future. And Rock eventually agreed to walk through the door - just as Austin may agree to a match with Punk some day. I can't see it happening this year, as they already have enough marquee matches with Rock-Cena, the WWE title match, WHC title match, and the Undertaker match.

But WrestleMania is going to be in Cowboys Stadium in Dallas, Texas eventually. My guess is it will WrestleMania 29, but it will be no later than 31. (assuming 30 is at MSG) And whenever that happens, I think that's where this match takes place, just like Rock returned for WrestleMania in Miami. Who knows, maybe Austin is the host this year, interferes with Punk's match, and they set their match a year in advance. Then they could have Austin and Rock vs. Cena and Punk (or Austin and Cena vs. Rock and Punk?) at SummerSlam or Survivor Series next year.

Incidentally, whenever Cowboys Stadium does host WrestleMania, that would also be a great time to either have Undertaker's last match or to induct him into the HOF. So if Taker does have his last match this year, inducting him next year in Dallas would be perfect.

Hahaha, I got goosebumps watching Austin's Induction Promo when Cult of Personality music hits!

Anywho, I say go for it! If WWE keeps pushing Punk to the next level of stardom, they can revolutionalize the industry with Punk. Hell, were having Rock vs. Cena at WM28...then if we have Austin vs. Punk at WM29...lets make Punk vs. Cena at WM30! You'll have plenty of history with those two...but it will be wise to not let these two go at it for 2 yrs. Send one to Smackdown and let one stay at Raw.

Punk vs. Austin would be a great match and the program is so simple (straight-edge savior vs. beer-swilling redneck), but I doubt it will happen.

It's not as much Austin's age and health as it is that a program with Austin would revert Punk back into a heel, whether WWE wants it or not. Austin is so universally loved that he could do anything and still get the biggest pop of the night.

I think there is a good chance CM Punk vs Austin will happen next year at Wrestlemania.

The WWE pays out PPV bonuses based on who they think was the biggest draw, and it would likely cost Austin and The Rock money to compete on the same show, as alot of the money would probably be shared.

Better for The Rock to compete this year, then Austin the next. Better paydays.

It is not illegal to have a face vs face match. Face vs face or heel vs heel is usually more entertaining because they are less predictable. Usually the faces win and when they become a heel they suddenly lose their matches. Keep in mind I said usually, and I don't need a bunch of flamers pointing out Mark Henry or any others. Triple H is a face and fought Taker at mania and feuded with CM Punk. Remember the huge title for title match between Hogan and Warrior. The reason the match was so big was because it was two mega faces.

Now as far as the concept of the match goes, its not a bad idea. Notorious beer drinker vs alcohol guy who frowns upon such thing. Also, the fact that IWC sees Punk as the new Austin for whatever reason, would make the match big to a lot of people. I thik the match would be huge just because of the fact Austin is returning.

Here's the problem with the match. WWE likes to use the well established stars that can't get any bigger or no longer perform(other than their one last big match) to put over their younger talent. That makes sense logically from the business point of view. However, seeing Stone Cold Steve Austin, the rattlesnake, the toughest SOB alive, chief ass whooper, and stomper of mudholes, lose to some small guy that preaches his straight edge lifestyle and does some kicks and a bulldog, would just ruin the whole match. Everyone loves Austin and he is a huge name in the wrestling industry. Austin should be stomp a mud hole into Punks "straight edge" tattoo, open up a can of whoop ass, and pour some beer down Punk's throat with a friendly middle finger. He can still get Punk over by having a great match and possibly having Punk kick out of a stunner. But I think having Punk get a clean win over Austin would cause him to lose a lot of his fans. I'm a fan of him myself(though I think he is overrated), but if I saw him beat Austin, I'd hate him.

I suppose Set in Stone wasn't the best thread title, i guess i mean do you feel it is being slowly set up?

And yeah i saw on the DVD Punk talking about how much he respects Austin, i get that, but considering the amount of Hints at this Possible match, i just feel when i see Punk doing these "tributes" to Austin, it's more in the sense of trying to get to him or something storyline wise, or coax him into giving him the match eventually. I mean Again the shirt has been the most noticable so far, it was one week before that Punk and Austin had that brief confrontation backstage, then he wears the shirt the following week. While i can see that yeah he is paying respect to someone he admires i'm just saying i can't help but wonder if it is the start of something much bigger. Even that 'Mudhole Stomping" reference i guess just felt a little like they were clearly planting a seed for fans to pick up on.

Like i said i may be thinking too much into it, and could be wrong, but it is very coincedental at times wether intentional or not.

I would like to see this match at this years WM, but i can understand it most likely happening next year, Just with the way this WM is shaping up with Rock vs Cena, Taker vs HHH ( i guess) and yeah it's possible it could be Punk Jericho, which is a good match. I just thought Vince must realise he is getting old and so are guys like Austin etc, I thought before he goes out he'd just go out with a bang and do that one big WM where its full of some of the biggest matches ever.

But it does make a lot of sense not to overcrowd the card, and leave Punk vs Austin until next year. Provided nothing happens in between to stop that, injuries etc, which is a concern most had with Rock vs Cena.

Didn't know about that H2O band though, at least that one got cleared up.

Someone said they can't buy Punk beating Austin, i don't get why not, i can buy the fact he pinned Cena, (and HHH if he ever beats him). and look how Cena is billed as a Superhero basically, so why not Austin? I can buy the fact Punk can Pin Austin clean, but it would be one hell of an effort to do so. I can buy Punk beating Austin in a excellent match more then i can buy Cena beating Rock, at least Cena's current character. I'm not a full on Cena hater, But yeah i mean come on it's The Rock, I understand Rock isn't around full time etc, but i really can't buy it if Cena goes over Rock, unless his is a believable heel, but anyway thats another Thread. Either way If Punk were to win it, i don't see how it hurts Austin's career/legacy at all.

Either way it will be interesting to see if any other small hints are thrown out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back