Austin Stirring The Pot Again - Wrestling CM Punk

AngryCenaFan

Pre-Show Stalwart
Austin is pragmatic, telling me: “Look I’ve heard the same things and I’ve said that were I to do it CM Punk would be the man I would like to do it with. All the stars would have to align for that to happen – it would have to be good for me financially, good for me in terms of execution and storyline.

“Obviously it would have to be good for WWE and work out for CM Punk too. I’m not starting up anything here, but could it happen? Yes. Will it happen? I don’t know.”
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/intherin...toneFightin-Talk-Steve-Austin-s-made-of-stone

Each time Austin talks, he opens the door a little bit more, if he is medically cleared I think this is going to happen. Austin/Punk and Rock/Cena on the same card is BIG and WILL draw. Rocks presence on WM27 pushed WM over 1 million buys after it had been declining the previous couple of years.

IMO Austin/Punk would be the real main event

I would love to see Austin come back and wrestle CM Punk. But I don't know if it will happen. If it does I can't see it being this year. WWE title or not I think Rock/Cena will go on last. Then you also have a World title match and maybe a WWE title match and a maybe Takers last match. Those are already 4 big matches. Then if you throw in a Punk/Austin match, you are at 5.

Would Austin want to come back and not even be the main attraction? I thought I heard at one point he was upset with his spot at WM18. Maybe I am remembering it wrong. How could you spread all 5 of those matches over the card and not make the crowd dead?

I think if Punk/Austin happens it would be at WM 29. But after listening to an Edge interview on R.A.W. he said him and Austin have the same kind of neck injury. That if he took one bump he could end up in a chair the rest of his life. I think Austin is jsut having fun throwing us a bone. Letting us get excited. But at the end of the day I don't he will come back for one more match.

Austin Vs Punk would be an amazing rivalry but.. If Austin wrestles another match he's putting his own life on the line. Same thing with Edge and that's why they're both retired.

I don't know how Austin can be medically cleared to wrestle Punk after his neck accident with Owen(still painful to watch) especially since most of Punk's signature moves involve him attacking the opponent's head/neck I just don't think it's good for Austin's health and well being.

But like Austin said you never know we'll see what happens.

I would love to see Austin come back and wrestle CM Punk. But I don't know if it will happen. If it does I can't see it being this year. WWE title or not I think Rock/Cena will go on last. Then you also have a World title match and maybe a WWE title match and a maybe Takers last match. Those are already 4 big matches. Then if you throw in a Punk/Austin match, you are at 5.

Would Austin want to come back and not even be the main attraction? I thought I heard at one point he was upset with his spot at WM18. Maybe I am remembering it wrong. How could you spread all 5 of those matches over the card and not make the crowd dead?

I think if Punk/Austin happens it would be at WM 29. But after listening to an Edge interview on R.A.W. he said him and Austin have the same kind of neck injury. That if he took one bump he could end up in a chair the rest of his life. I think Austin is jsut having fun throwing us a bone. Letting us get excited. But at the end of the day I don't he will come back for one more match.
A couple things here.

Rock/Cena is likely to be for the WWE title
Orton/Undertaker could be put together for the WHC match

so right there you have 2 big matches, and you condensed 4 matches into 2. which leaves a big spot on the card for Punk/Austin...

Edge can never take bumps again, Austin if you'll remember did it with the tough enough kids, and did it pain free.....

Austin vs Punk bigger than Rock vs Cena? I dont think so. Both are money, without a shadow of a doubt, but Rock/Cena are the bigger stars and that will draw huge.

As for Austin vs Punk, can't see it happening. Hope I am wrong but Austin needs to stay retired and not do a 'Bret Hart'.

stone cold is and will always be a bigger draw than the rock. He has better matches then the rock. and can create better feuds then the rock. So stone cold vs. cm punk would not only be a better match but also draw more money.

it seems like austin is hinting at him having a match against cm punk down the road! id love to see it happen for wrestlemania espically if stone cold was gonna put over punk! will it happen down the road sometime? from the way things are looking i think so. should it happen at wrestlemania 28? honestly i dont think so first of all they already have rock vs cena plus 2 world title matches AND taker defending the streak already another huge match on the same card isnt a good idea save it for maybe mania 29 as this match is gonna sell a ppv on its own!

I think its possible Austin looked better than he has in years on tough enough. I think Austin wants to leave the business on his terms, and the difference between him and Hart are obvious Hart has had a stroke and will never ever fully recover all his motor skills just not gonna happen thats why you notice a slight pause when he speaks he has to think for a second to confirm what hes saying. But I think Austin might just about the only one from the attitude era that actually wants to put someone over and that someone seems to be Punk. No matter what you think This is awesome for someone of the attitude era. I have a whole new level of respect of the man and his mind for the business

This feud will be gold outside the ring and if it is to happen, it will draw huge. Can't say how the match between Punk and SCSA will go but the same goes for Rock/Cena. Would love to see this. Money is written all over it but don't know if Austin would be ready for this or if he would like it at tge same night as Rock/Cena.

stone cold is and will always be a bigger draw than the rock. He has better matches then the rock. and can create better feuds then the rock. So stone cold vs. cm punk would not only be a better match but also draw more money.

Rock v Cena would draw alot better than Austin/Punk. Punk isnt on Cena's level, Rock is and always has been on Austin's level in terms of bringing in people. Rock never got hurt, he only left to do movies, Austin was injured numerous times in his WWF run.

But to answer the OP I would love to see a Austin/Punk match, I think they would put on a much better match than Cena and Rock

Austin vs Punk bigger than Rock vs Cena? I dont think so. Both are money, without a shadow of a doubt, but Rock/Cena are the bigger stars and that will draw huge.

As for Austin vs Punk, can't see it happening. Hope I am wrong but Austin needs to stay retired and not do a 'Bret Hart'.
Austin was the driving force behind the attitude era, he was the unquestioned no.1 guy for several years but Rock did challenge him, and I would say Rocks legend grew as we began to see less of him, and see how much others were not entertaining compared to him.

To wrestling fans, Austin is probably no.1
to the more casual fan, Rock probably is.

Having both on the same card is a throwback for fans and would sell itself, maybe it's not going to happen but WM28 would be must buy, for me if Austin was on the card, regardless of what else is there beyond Rock/Cena

Just to address a couple of the things I have read and disagree with that people are posting.

First, this doesn't outdraw Rock and Cena. Rock has more mainstream appeal and at this time is more relevant than Stone Cold. Punk isn't Cena. Lets not compare a guy who has been hot for 2 months with a guy who has been the face of the company for five years. Who even knows what level Punk will be on by Wrestlemania. Certainly he could still be hot and challenging Cena for the top draw. But Cena is polarizing everyone either loves him or hates him. People tune in to see Cena fail if they hate him or succeed if they love him and that is what separates him from literally everyone on the current roster. Sure maybe Punk/Austin is bigger on the IWC but in general WM 28 will be all about Rock/Cena either way that is why I say if you're going to have it DON'T do it at WM28.

It isn't good for business to do it at 28. 1. The money you have to pay Rock and Austin to both come back and have matches would be huge. Sure the buys are going to be extremely high, but the bottom line may not be as good when you consider how much money you have to pay both guys. 2. If you have CM Punk/ Austin Rock/Cena and Taker vs Orton or any other top star. Yea Wrestlemania 28 is going to be an epic card. But what do you do next? You sold out for one night. You have your top 3 guys going against guys who are one night onlys and Taker who is about at that level. All 3 of those matches are your marquee matchups. Everyone else not in those 3 matches watch out an avalanche is coming through. This is why you save this match for another time (Punk/Austin) if it is going to happen because it doesn't take away from other guys having their shot on Mania. WM28 this is where new stars are created and put over big for the first time in many cases. If you put this match on that night all chances of that are out the window.

Lastly, Austin isn't going to want to co Main Event if he comes back. He is coming back as a headliner. If you think Dwayne Johnson isn't going to go on last after the commitment he has made to come back then you are delusional. Putting the matches on the same night just doesn't work.

I doubt Taker will be for the WHC, I see that honestly being Bryan as the new Benoit vs who ever. I can see them making the taker match out as the "Last Chance to beat him" match, with the Royal Rumble being used to decide his opponent.

As for Austin vs Punk, I doubt it. Well this year anyway. Austin Punk will destroy Cena vs Rock. As much as people love the rock, hes not Austin. Stone cold is just... Stone Cold, Hes the biggest star inside the Wrestling community, and while i know that's a hot topic, Putting him against the current Smark/Adult hero would would be instant money from the Attitude era people who stopped watching.

With 28 looking like the Taker/Rock/Cena show, putting a match THIS big on there would bury EVERYTHING possibly including Taker (At least it will take the shine off him) But there is no way this wont happen. Austin wants it, Punk would Murder for it, WWE knows how much money that would be. If they learn from the mistakes they're making with the Rock Cena build, taking a year to build Austin punk would be a good idea.

Hello my friend. But this aint 1999 anymore. Come join us in 2011.

The Rock is MUCH bigger than Austin is now. He has mainstream appeal, Austin doesn't. And Cena is much bigger than Punk and will always draw more money. These are facts my friend.

Hollywood Superstar vs Number 1 commoditty in Wrestling
or
B Movie actor vs Internet darling

:lmao:

Maybe Rock vs. Cena would be a bit bigger draw, but I get a hard...erm well let´s just say: Imagine the Battles on the mic they could have! :worship:

Rock is still pretty good even if he has lost some steam imho and nobody will give Cena any credit on Promos nowadays (and yes 80% of that IS because it´s the "hipp" thing to do :shrug:)

But give Punk and SCSA freedom on the mic.....can I get a HELL YEAH!?

With 28 looking like the Taker/Rock/Cena show, putting a match THIS big on there would bury EVERYTHING possibly including Taker (At least it will take the shine off him) But there is no way this wont happen.

I don't see how, WM is supposed to be the Biggest Show of the year and what better way to show that than having the best card possible? I'm sure there is enough room for WM to have a stalked card as long as positioning makes sense. Rock/Cena, Austin/Punk, Taker's last match, 2 World Title Matches, a match featuring Triple H and Jericho(?), and possibly Cara/Mysterio; i think every superstar involved in this card wins due to the exposure of the event.

I don't see how, WM is supposed to be the Biggest Show of the year and what better way to show that than having the best card possible? I'm sure there is enough room for WM to have a stalked card as long as positioning makes sense. Rock/Cena, Austin/Punk, Taker's last match, 2 World Title Matches, a match featuring Triple H and Jericho(?), and possibly Cara/Mysterio; i think every superstar involved in this card wins due to the exposure of the event.

Thats a very good point. The flipside is, maybe some of the matches could be saved for another PPV though. Maybe hold off until Summerslam. With all these huge matches on one card, it may dilute interest in the PPV's that follow. Will make them look really unappealling and underwhelming.

A possible WM28 card though with the matches thrown around will equal huge buy rates. 2 things though regarding Rock vs Cena as the Main Event. I can't see Taker retiring at this event. This is HIS show. He should be on last and he wont be. Also, Cena vs Rock will be for the WWE Title because with the other possible matches thrown around, it will make the WWE Title seem really irrelevant.

For what it is worth I would love to see Cara vs Rey, Jericho vs Miz and Taker vs Foley on the card. I also think Punk vs Triple H is more realistic at this point. Maybe they are planting the seeds now and gunna have a 7/8 month storyline that ends of WM.

If an Austin/Punk match joins the already announced Cena/Rock match on the WrestleMania card, then screw ordering the pay-per view... I don't care what the cost ... I'm flying my ass to Miami and buying a ticket to see it live.

I doubt it will happen. But like most, I'm hoping it does.

Austin has pretty much laid his cards on the table. He has said exactly what he wants and how he wants to do things and now it is up to the WWE to make it happen. It won't be happening this year though. Rock/ Cena will overshadow Austin vs Punk both because of the people involved as well as because of the storyline. Rock/ Cena has been billed as a clash of generations. I am pretty sure Austin/ Punk will not be booked that way because simply Punk is not the man who has defined this generation like Cena. I would also say that right now Rock is a slightly bigger draw than Austin because of the fact that Rock has not been inside a wrestling ring for 7 years whereas Austin has kept making sporadic appearances in a non wrestling capacity. In their primes, I would say that Austin was obviously the much bigger draw. Austin, after being acclaimed by the fucking owner of the company as the greatest superstar of all time, has nothing to prove but I am sure that he would not like to end at anything less than the main event of WrestleMania.

I also think, from what Austin has said, that he wants Punk to be a bigger superstar before they clash as well. As of now Punk is nowhere near as popular as the likes of Cena or Orton. He has been a part of one good angle that has not even reached its completion as yet. Compared to Austin, he is a nobody and I am sure Austin himself wants to go out against a bigger superstar than that. He is waiting for Punk to become a bigger name which, if things continue the way the are, looks like a real possibility around WrestleMania 29.

Austin has pretty much laid his cards on the table. He has said exactly what he wants and how he wants to do things and now it is up to the WWE to make it happen. It won't be happening this year though. Rock/ Cena will overshadow Austin vs Punk both because of the people involved as well as because of the storyline. Rock/ Cena has been billed as a clash of generations. I am pretty sure Austin/ Punk will not be booked that way because simply Punk is not the man who has defined this generation like Cena. I would also say that right now Rock is a slightly bigger draw than Austin because of the fact that Rock has not been inside a wrestling ring for 7 years whereas Austin has kept making sporadic appearances in a non wrestling capacity. In their primes, I would say that Austin was obviously the much bigger draw. Austin, after being acclaimed by the fucking owner of the company as the greatest superstar of all time, has nothing to prove but I am sure that he would not like to end at anything less than the main event of WrestleMania.

I also think, from what Austin has said, that he wants Punk to be a bigger superstar before they clash as well. As of now Punk is nowhere near as popular as the likes of Cena or Orton. He has been a part of one good angle that has not even reached its completion as yet. Compared to Austin, he is a nobody and I am sure Austin himself wants to go out against a bigger superstar than that. He is waiting for Punk to become a bigger name which, if things continue the way the are, looks like a real possibility around WrestleMania 29.

I am not denying that Austin WAS the bigger draw and the bigger superstar. Nobody will deny that but nowadays The Rock is easily the bigger draw. Maybe because he hasn't been around but he is also a household name now like Hogan was/is, Austin isnt and these are facts. Rock has a mainstream audience and Austin doesn't. Rock has a successful Movie career which has sold movies worldwide. Austin makes shitty b-movies. These are facts that cannot be denied.

Also, you got a quote on Vince saying that about Austin? Pretty sure he said that about Shawn Michaels earlier this year.

I've been getting a huge kick reading some of the things being said on here....

Rock is a bigger draw then Austin? Because he has main stream appeal.... Let's be honest here, in the mainstream Rock is a C-level celebrity at best, no one who wouldn't order a PPV normally is going to be say to themselves; "I really have no interest in wrestling, but that guy from The Toothfairy is going to be on so I should probably drop fifty bucks."

The best you're going to get is attracting old fans who stopped watching, and for the majority of them Austin > Rock.

Austin/Punk doesn't have to be billed as a clash of generations to get over with the fanbase, a feud between them writes itself and it all comes down to their different gimmicks. Straight Edge verses Hell Raising pretty much... but that is going to put Punk in the heel basket and right now he is too hot for that to happen. Let Punk be steered towards an obvious match against Triple H at Mania, have him win and it will put him over huge and solidify him as WWE's next franchise player, someone who is completely different from Cena in every way... then the following Wrestlemania, go for Austin/Punk because I think by then it wouldn't matter who was heel, face or tweener it would still work but right now let Punk ride this wave of success and see it play out making him one of the biggest stars in the company... THEN bring Austin in for the feud!

I am not denying that Austin WAS the bigger draw and the bigger superstar. Nobody will deny that but nowadays The Rock is easily the bigger draw. Maybe because he hasn't been around but he is also a household name now like Hogan was/is, Austin isnt and these are facts. Rock has a mainstream audience and Austin doesn't. Rock has a successful Movie career which has sold movies worldwide. Austin makes shitty b-movies. These are facts that cannot be denied.

Also, you got a quote on Vince saying that about Austin? Pretty sure he said that about Shawn Michaels earlier this year.

Uh..so what's the arguement about? I pretty much mentioned that Rock was the bigger draw now. That is not only because of his movies but also because he has been away for a long time and as you know absence makes the heart grow fonder. Also I would say that Austin is somewhat of a household name still. The mainstream audience recognizes The Rock faster today because he is a movie star but when they see Austin, they do realize that he was a well known wrestler. In their primes though, Austin was the bigger draw.

Also Vince said that about Austin when he inducted him into the WWE HOF. Austin is the only WWF superstar who has been personally inducted by Vince. And I have never heard Vince say the same thing about Shawn. I think that he has said about Shawn that he gives a performance that everyone would cherish for their lives at WrestleMania but he has labelled Austin as the greatest wrestler of all time.

Austin/Punk doesn't have to be billed as a clash of generations to get over with the fanbase, a feud between them writes itself and it all comes down to their different gimmicks. Straight Edge verses Hell Raising pretty much

You miss the point here. The fact is that a clash of the generations type feud will always be bigger than any other type of feud. WWE hasn't so much booked Rock/ Cena in that way. It is something that has been staring at your face all this time. It would have been the same had it been Austin vs Cena but obviously, Austin is not that interested in wrestling Cena and to be honest the rivalry between Rock and Cena has more heat because of the stuff they have been saying to each other for more than 5 years now.

I've been getting a huge kick reading some of the things being said on here....

Rock is a bigger draw then Austin? Because he has main stream appeal.... Let's be honest here, in the mainstream Rock is a C-level celebrity at best, no one who wouldn't order a PPV normally is going to be say to themselves; "I really have no interest in wrestling, but that guy from The Toothfairy is going to be on so I should probably drop fifty bucks."

The best you're going to get is attracting old fans who stopped watching, and for the majority of them Austin > Rock.

C-List celebrities don't star in films that gross $605,437,675 worldwide at the Box Office. That's what deines an A-List celebrity.

In this miniature arguement going on, in-terms of wrestling, you stick Austin on the card and you'll draw more of the old followers from the Attitude days than you will if you place The Rock on the marquee of an event, that isn't an arguement. The Rock will draw a major number, example is, look at the buyrate for WrestleMania 27 - You had people signing up to wrestling forums just to say that they started watching again because of The Rock. But if it were Austin to return you'd double those posters and you'd double the hype, for several reasons.

For one, Austin never sold-out. The Rock tried and failed - or shall we forget he would ask any publications in reference to him to refer to him solely as Dwayne Johnson and not Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson? He has heat on him for it, to this day! Stone Cold has stayed true to who he is, he didn't have the name Steve "Stone Cold Steve Austin" Williams on the poster for The Expendables, he had his ring name. He returned to host Tough Enough, the dude even watches RAW every week and comments on it as the show progresses.

The Rock is told things through Twitter, he doesn't even watch the bloody show! And then, as Myriad correctly said, The Rock didn't spearhead the Attitude Era, Austin did. The Rock didn't sell the most merchandise, Austin did - Rock didn't even sell more than Sting. In-terms of drawing in wrestling fans Stone Cold Steve Austin wins every day, of every week, of every month, of every year until hes passed. And if he were to return to perform, you bet your ass people who don't know the difference between Jack Swagger and Ezekiel Jackson will be ordering the bloody Pay-Per-View.

In-terms of mainstream media though, The Rock draws more attention to the WWE. When The Rock returned he was on E! News, Sky Sports News in the UK, he was in several newspapers, his image was advertised on nearly every WrestleMania 27 banner and he publicised the event during media functions. Steve Austin won't draw people that have never watched wrestling, he won't draw media outlets like E! or all that, The Rock will.

So really, to sum this all up. Stone Cold Steve Austin draws more of the older wrestling followers than The Rock, although The Rock still draws in that department, while The Rock draws more mainstream media attention than Steve Austin will, who draws next to none. Settled? Okay lets move onwards.

Stone Cold has said before his neck is feeling near to perfectly healthy, he got out of the wrestling business at the right time and has had several years to heal the wounds of the ring. He does stunts for his movies, he took bumps on Tough Enough and he even came out and said he could see himself working a full-time schedule for two years if he needed the money, but he doesn't, but he can perform.

CM Punk is to John Cena, as Austin was to The Rock. CM Punk is Cena's ying to John's yang if you will. Cena stands up for what this era defines, he is that wholesome image that you're supposed to love and in an era without many rebels, CM Punk stands near alone. Punk stands for everything that we, the fans, actually know. He stands for reality. He stands for everything against the status quo.

Punk and Austin would have a historic angle, it writes itself! You have the beer drinking, loud mouth face of the Attitude Era versus the Straight-Edge, loud mouth and to some the face of the present, CM Punk. Punk and Austin have previous material to even work off from when Austin guest hosted RAW. Punk wore a Steve Austin t-shirt when he cut the famous worked shoot. The possibilities are near limitless so it writes itself.

The end product could go one of two ways. Austin would still need to look out for his health. His neck may be healed, but things can still go wrong. He could take Punk's Knee to the Jaw incorrectly and he's hurt. He could take the GTS incorrectly and he's hurt. But Austin and Punk would be a huge match because there has never been someone so like Steve Austin until this new persona of Punk came along.

I'd love to see it. I'd pay a lot to see it. As a Punk follower since 2004 and an Austin fan since the Attitude Era I'd love to see them interact on-screen and just let it flow. Will it happen? Austin is planting what I think are seeds, but if it doesn't? Well, you always have to consider what WWE's long term plans are for the CM Punk/HHH angle and if Vince McMahon were to return where would he fall into the madness?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back