Austin Region,Third Round,Last Man Standing Match:(4)B. Sammartino vs.(12)B. Backlund

Who Wins This Match?

• Bruno Sammartino

• Bob Backlund

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a third round match in the Austin Region. It is a Last Man Standing match. It will be held at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas.

8971675.0.jpg

Rules: Anything goes in this match and only ends when one wrestler cannot answer a ten count.

Bruno_Sammartino_PWI_bio.jpg

#4. Bruno Sammartino

Vs.

07_Backlund-Title-Mis01.jpg

#12. Bob Backlund

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster. Assume that the wrestlers are coming in fresh after their first round match.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

I think the stipulation doesn't hurt or hinder either. Both huge stars, both big time successes in the regional WWF. I'm going to go with Sammartino for the fact that he was still overwhelmingly popular after being unthroned to the point where they brought him back as champ. The WWF went from strength to strength after Backlund left, so I guess he was less of a loss for the company. It could go either way, but I'm with Sammartino.

If this match had happened in reality, it would have 100% been a draw. I'm going to throw both kayfabe and the location out the window here and vote for Bruno just on the basis that he was a much bigger moneymaker, and had a far more profound impact on the industry. No disrespect to Bob. I'd back him against probably 90% of the people still left in this thing, but Bruno isn't one of them.

I think for the sake of the tournament, Bruno has a much better chance of going deeper.

I know little to nothing about Bruno so please let me know if I'm not looking at this the right way.

Backlund's whole schtick was being the white meat babyface UNTIL he gets pushed over the edge and he goes absolutely nuts on his opponent. I expect this to be even until Backlund snaps and then see this going in Bob's favor.

I'm not saying 100% I'm voting for Bob until I learn more about Bruno but that's the way I'm leaning at the moment and why I'm leaning that way

I know little to nothing about Bruno so please let me know if I'm not looking at this the right way.

Backlund's whole schtick was being the white meat babyface UNTIL he gets pushed over the edge and he goes absolutely nuts on his opponent. I expect this to be even until Backlund snaps and then see this going in Bob's favor.

I'm not saying 100% I'm voting for Bob until I learn more about Bruno but that's the way I'm leaning at the moment and why I'm leaning that way

Bruno's shtick was basically that. This was most evident during his run in the 80's. Bruno was the hero that employed villainous tactics to deliver justice to the bad guy, thus giving them a taste of their own medicine. Just watch his matches with Roddy Piper or Randy Savage.

Bob was a pretty white meat baby face during the 70's and 80's. His persona was a lot like Cena's during the mid 00's or Roman's today. Sometimes Bob would be portrayed as the underdog, sometimes as the superior technician that he was. But he'd usually end matches by overcoming odds and smashing villains with one big move. Though that depended on the opponent. He didn't go full on crazy, sadistic heel until the 90's.

Bruno's shtick was basically that. This was most evident during his run in the 80's. Bruno was the hero that employed villainous tactics to deliver justice to the bad guy, thus giving them a taste of their own medicine. Just watch his matches with Roddy Piper or Randy Savage.

Bob was a pretty white meat baby face during the 70's and 80's. His persona was a lot like Cena's during the mid 00's or Roman's today. Sometimes Bob would be portrayed as the underdog, sometimes as the superior technician that he was. But he'd usually end matches by overcoming odds and smashing villains with one big move. Though that depended on the opponent. He didn't go full on crazy, sadistic heel until the 90's.
Fair enough, thanks for setting me straight.

This actually does sway my vote in favor of Bruno

This match will go for an hour. Neither man would die. I find Bob much more entertaining than Bruno, and the Crossface Chicken Wing is my favorite submission ever. I'm 50 Shades of Torn here, but I'm going to...

VOTE FOR BOB!!!

Bob in both his primes and as crazy 94 Bob will figh and fight and fight...

In fact I could see Bob turnin into his crazy heel persona halfway thru this match and cheating.

It'll go the hour. Bruno will win. But barely.

Both men will be covered in blood.

Vince Sr. Would go to both men. "Bruno" VJM would say "Do not beat Bobby up too much. OK?" He would then turn to Backlund "Look, Bobby, Bruno is getting up there. Saints be praised, Bruno is losing a step. Take it easy on the old man, OK?" And, in the kayfabe world, it would be a draw.

But, it is not kayfabe, this tournament. Backlund was the most PROTECTED champ that WWE has had not named Cena. Bruno needed no protection whatsoever. And, he would power his way into defeating Bob Backlune. It is Bruno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back