Austin Aries to Beat the Record?

Ferreira

SORRY! About you damn luck!
3.jpg

Austin Aries is the reigning X-Division champion and has been since September 11, 2011, when he beat Brian Kendrick at the No Surrender 2011, the last stop before Bound for Glory 2011.

Aries has beaten Kendrick, Sorensen, Zema Ion, Kid Kash and others to keep his title with him as long as 120 days. This reign is the best one since Kazarian a year ago, when he held the title for 127 days, if Aries doesn't lose the belt by the end of this week he will held it for more time than Kazarian.

The lost reigning champion of the X-Division Championship is Christopher Daniels that held the title for a period of 182 days, so, two months longer than Aries' current run. Even if he doesn't beat the record established by Christopher Daniels in 2005, just by holding the belt for 40 days longer he will become the second longest reigning X-Division Champion of all time.

I think I can speak for most of us that see Austin Aries as the future of TNA Wrestling, the guy surely can speak, wrestle and be a very good heel or face if he needs to. But at the same time, Jesse Sorensen and others are getting closer to the belt, and I'm not really sure that Aries can keep the title until Lockdown in March/April.

What do you think? Does Aries beat the record of Christopher Daniels and keep the title for only more 63 days? Or will he lose it before that date?

Honestly, I love Aries to death. I really do. The guy has it all. However, I'm not sure if I'd want him to beat the record, and the reason is Christopher Daniels. See, Aries will be something in TNA one way or the other. Whether it be an X-Division legend or possibly a Main Eventer in the future, Aries has a bright, bright future in TNA if he chooses to stay there.

Daniels on the other hand, I don't see ever capturing a World Title or doing anything of importance. It's a pity he's so talented yet has not achieved anything but be the longest reigning X-Division Champion in history.

So in that sense, I'd rather have Daniels remain the longest reigning Champ. Aries doesn't need this, I'm sure he'll make more accolades down the line.

i did not realize Austin Aries had a shot at the record but i dont think i want him to get the record hes a great wrestler and great on the mic sure but im pretty sick of watching him beat jesse sorenston and kid kash all the time i thought originally sorenston was gonna get the title last night but then i thought about it and realized aries had atleast another month...now hes probably going into against all odds with the x divison title and i hope kid kash isnt his opponet but its very possible with kaz kinda out of the x divison title picture and now it looks like jesse sorenston is going to be fueding with zema ion for a little bit but i do think jesse sorenston is going to be the next x divison champion there builing him up as the top face in that divison so its very possible although alex shelley is rumored to be back very soon maybe hes getting a run? :shrug: but bottom line i hope christopher daniels keeps the record

Zevon if Christopher Daniels does have his record broken by AA, he will still have the recognition of being one of the wrestlers involved in the Unbreakable match which is commonly called IWs best match of all time! I'm sure that will provide some solace for him. I'd like AA to break the record if merely for the scathing promo I know he would cut about running through the division and being better than everybody in it, which after he naturally drops the belt he could elevate further up the card because he was so dominant within the X-Division.

What concerns me about AA title run is the competition he's had to work with. I was happy to see Zema Ion at the PPV but if his list of challengers is Kendrick, Sorrenson, and Kash who of the three I think he has worked well with his reign may look a tad unimpressive. C'mon why was Kaz in a tag tourney when their was a perfectly good X-Div belt he should've been going after! Where was that series of matches will Shelley that culminated in a Ultimate X match (I'm aware he was injured just not sure when it occurred) ? IF you saw Destination X, then you saw the X-Div 4 way and AA (and everybody included) looked sensational in it if only there were a few more X division puzzle pieces...

I think Austin Aries can absolutely break the record.

He's perfect not just for the X-Division, but for TNA in general. He has the "it" factor and TNA knows it. He can cut a promo, he can wrestle a 5 star match, he has everything he needs and more. TNA has been super hot on him the last few months and I don't see that changing, so I'd imagine the belt will stay on him for quite some time to come.

As for Christopher Daniels, it does kind of suck that it would be his record being broken. If it were AJ Styles, I would have no gripes about it, but Christopher Daniels deserves so much more and just hasn't been given it. With that being said, Aries still needs to continue being built up so maybe he can be that top guy someday.

It's not a sure thing, but it's within the realm of possibility. I think management recognizes how great Aries is, and wants him to be a big part of the future of TNA. Right now, he's clearly the rock upon which the new X-Division is being built. I think he'll hold onto the title until he's no longer needed in the X-Division, and be elevated shortly afterwards. The question is - how long is that? Probably not a few more months, at least. I figure Sorenson needs a good feud with somebody before he becomes champion, Kid Kash would be a little silly, Zema Ion isn't built for it right now, and the rest of the division needs to be featured a little more to be viable candidates. Right now, I don't think that TNA has a legitimate X-Division champion other than Austin Aries, and I don't see it changing before he breaks the record. The only scenario under which I can see him losing is if he gets caught up in the Kaz/Daniels/AJ feud that seems to be emerging, which is unlikely, but not out of the realm of possibility if they're interested in elevating him sooner rather than later.

I think this is the first time I've ever posted in the TNA section. Not because I hate it, not because I can't be bothered, simply because I've never really watched it. But, Austin Aries? I fucking love Austin Aries. I followed this guy around for years on the indy's and I really did hope that one day WWE would sign him, but, evidently, to no avail. The man is awesome. He really can do everything. He's put on countless great matches, he can talk better than half the roster combined and he has the look. He really has all the tools to be the CM Punk of TNA. Someone edgy and cool that everyone can like simply because, he is bad-ASS and fun to watch. His situation in TNA is one I will monitor closely because, I'll tell you, as soon as he become TNA champ (he will become TNA champ, if nothing out of the ordinary happens) you bet your mortgage I'll tune in to TNA. He is that good.

With regards to whether he could become the longest X-Division champ ever? Well, in my opinion, the title is holding him down. The quicker he gets rid of it, the quicker he becomes everything Austin Aries should be, with the position in the company to back it up. Would it be nice to see him break a record? Yeah. Would it be better to see him in the main event? Hell YEAH.

It's not a sure thing, but it's within the realm of possibility. I think management recognizes how great Aries is, and wants him to be a big part of the future of TNA. Right now, he's clearly the rock upon which the new X-Division is being built. I think he'll hold onto the title until he's no longer needed in the X-Division, and be elevated shortly afterwards. The question is - how long is that? Probably not a few more months, at least. I figure Sorenson needs a good feud with somebody before he becomes champion, Kid Kash would be a little silly, Zema Ion isn't built for it right now, and the rest of the division needs to be featured a little more to be viable candidates. Right now, I don't think that TNA has a legitimate X-Division champion other than Austin Aries, and I don't see it changing before he breaks the record. The only scenario under which I can see him losing is if he gets caught up in the Kaz/Daniels/AJ feud that seems to be emerging, which is unlikely, but not out of the realm of possibility if they're interested in elevating him sooner rather than later.

I disagree there, actually, for a few reasons:

1. Aries is not only the rock of the X Division, but he's the only man in it who actually has the look, attitude and talent to be a champion right now with Kid Kash running a relatively close second.

2. The man to beat Aries is going to need to be a major talent, or a talent being majorly pushed, and Sorensen does not meet that criteria, and neither do any of the other younger guys in the division just yet. Their time may come, but it's not now. Not yet.

3. John Morrison, the only guy I could see TNA sort of "handing" a title, is operating on a 90-day NCC from the point he was fired (December 1st), which makes March 1st the earliest possible date for a debut — just around the corner from Victory Road (March 18, 2012).

I disagree there, actually, for a few reasons:

1. Aries is not only the rock of the X Division, but he's the only man in it who actually has the look, attitude and talent to be a champion right now with Kid Kash running a relatively close second.

2. The man to beat Aries is going to need to be a major talent, or a talent being majorly pushed, and Sorensen does not meet that criteria, and neither do any of the other younger guys in the division just yet. Their time may come, but it's not now. Not yet.

3. John Morrison, the only guy I could see TNA sort of "handing" a title, is operating on a 90-day NCC from the point he was fired (December 1st), which makes March 1st the earliest possible date for a debut — just around the corner from Victory Road (March 18, 2012).

I phrased my initial statement poorly. What I meant to say was that it was likely, but not a guarantee.

There's two circumstances I see under which Aries loses the title before breaking the record. One is that a legitimate contender emerges from within and they put the title on him. This is fairly unlikely, for the reasons you've stated already. Sorenson is probably the next man waiting for it, barring John Morrison, but I agree that he needs to have more under his belt before he becomes a champion.

The other circumstance, but one that I could envision, is one where Aries is elevated. Aries is on fire and TNA would be blind not to recognize it. It's possible they might want him to resurrect the TV title the same way he did the X Division title. I could see him involved in the AJ/Daniels/Kaz feud, potentially by turning face and evening the odds. I'm sure there a handful of other scenarios that this could happen.

So, the point I mean to make is that probably yes, Aries will hold onto this title for a while yet and break the record, but there are a few not so unlikely circumstances under which he might not.

I phrased my initial statement poorly. What I meant to say was that it was likely, but not a guarantee.

There's two circumstances I see under which Aries loses the title before breaking the record. One is that a legitimate contender emerges from within and they put the title on him. This is fairly unlikely, for the reasons you've stated already. Sorenson is probably the next man waiting for it, barring John Morrison, but I agree that he needs to have more under his belt before he becomes a champion.

The other circumstance, but one that I could envision, is one where Aries is elevated. Aries is on fire and TNA would be blind not to recognize it. It's possible they might want him to resurrect the TV title the same way he did the X Division title. I could see him involved in the AJ/Daniels/Kaz feud, potentially by turning face and evening the odds. I'm sure there a handful of other scenarios that this could happen.

So, the point I mean to make is that probably yes, Aries will hold onto this title for a while yet and break the record, but there are a few not so unlikely circumstances under which he might not.

Agreed. I honestly think they're waiting on JoMo to do that, too. Whoever beats Aries in the XD has to have serious footing, because if it means Aries is leaving it, it severely weakens the entire division unless they've really established new faces by then. Aries is 33 right now, so I figure within a year from now they're likely to give him that push he's never really gotten in his career outside of briefly in ROH.

I could see him elevating through the title ranks in TNA easily, potentially making it to the World Title scene around the age of 35, essentially spending a year or so with the XD title and another year or less with the TV title.

I think he'll do it...there aren't any real strong contenders really, and Aries is great with the title. I don't think he'll be around much longer after his contract is up...just a feeling I get, maybe the long title run persuades him to stay. But I always felt he was here for a last payday, then would be gone. I hope I'm wrong, he's the class of the X Division, it's at it's weakest ever right now, IMHO, and they really can rebuild around him.

TNA holds on to the hope that John Hennigan will sign with them as soon as the 90 days are up. But still, that's no reason to keep riding Aries to the point that him as champion means nothing. At this point, he's starting to remind me of when Shane Helms was Cruiserweight Champion. They wanted to push him. But it got to the point where the Cruiserweight division was little to nothing and there was no one to beat him. It took 13 months to find someone in the form of Chavo Guerrero and at that point it was a bit late.

I'm not saying the X Division will die if we wait for Morrison, but shaking things up a bit with a short Sorensen or Kash reign may do more good for everyone than Aries holding for this time straight.

There's a big difference to Austin's current run and when Daniels had it. Right now the X Division is small with few stars established let alone developed. Back in Daniels' run, the X Division was the majority of the roster, with Daniels losing the title in a PPV main event.

I didnt go through the other posts before writing this, but I think its about time the kept a title with some one for longer than a few weeks to a month... I think its better for adding value to the belt no matter what division it is in. Now if they would add some depth into the title chase, like say having 3-4 guys make claim to the belt for longer than 1 or 2 weeks to show that the wrestlers care about it would be nice... Kinda old school..

TNA holds on to the hope that John Hennigan will sign with them as soon as the 90 days are up. But still, that's no reason to keep riding Aries to the point that him as champion means nothing. At this point, he's starting to remind me of when Shane Helms was Cruiserweight Champion. They wanted to push him. But it got to the point where the Cruiserweight division was little to nothing and there was no one to beat him. It took 13 months to find someone in the form of Chavo Guerrero and at that point it was a bit late.

I'm not saying the X Division will die if we wait for Morrison, but shaking things up a bit with a short Sorensen or Kash reign may do more good for everyone than Aries holding for this time straight.

There's a big difference to Austin's current run and when Daniels had it. Right now the X Division is small with few stars established let alone developed. Back in Daniels' run, the X Division was the majority of the roster, with Daniels losing the title in a PPV main event.

How having a legitimate champion who puts on quality matches and performs in quality segments on any given week can be construed as transitioning the championship into meaning nothing is beyond me.

The key here is surroundings. If he continues to be this man among boys, yes, I agree, it's pointless, but I can't see that perpetuating, even if it means TNA has to simply continue to build Sorensen/Neese/Ion into legitimate threats (or bring back a familiar face if Jo-Mo falls through). Until that point is reached though, I can't see how anyone could be negative about him retaining the title right now. Hell, it could even become a story itself where Aries demands real competition after having run through the X Division repeatedly. It'd make for a great springboard for a debut or re-debut and still retain all the value in the championship, no?

I'd sooner wait it out for a debut/re-debut than I would award Sorensen or even Kash (as much as I like him) a shorter run right now. All that does is prolong Aries' time in the XD because neither is good enough to really push him out of it through a high profile feud. JoMo, as much as I don't care for him, probably is based on recognition alone.

I am not a huge fan of Austin Aires, but everyone's love for him is making me question that. I have said in several of my main site editorials that Aires is the best part of the X-Division, but that compliment only extends so far. Kid Kash is a wholly overrated indie wrestler that has never done anything of record with all his "veteran experience". He was lazy in Sunday's title match, he plays to the crowd as a heel, and he often misses spots. He's also a terrible promo guy... Ion is coming along, and Sorensen would be good if he wasn't dressed up as a football player, rather than a pro wrestler. I don't mean to rail too hard against the current division, but it's an important point. Yes he's held the title since last September, but when was the last time the X-Division was this void of exceptional, recognizable talent? When guys like Styles and Daniels held the belt for long stretches, they were defending it against each other, Samoa Joe, Senshi, Chris Sabin, Petey Williams, Amazing Red, Kazarian, etc. THAT is an accomplishment.

Question at hand: will Aires keep the belt for 63 (62 at the time of my writing this, I do believe) more days to break the all-time record. My vote is yes, but he'll lose the title shortly after. He's being booked against Alex Shelley at upcoming house shows starting this weekend, which leads me to believe that Shelly will make his TNA return SOON, if not his week on Impact. Shelly is a proven, and established talent by TNA X-Division standards, and I would not be surprised to see him take the belt soon after his return.

I don't think Shelley wins right away though, which rules out Against All Odds next month. However, Victory Road is considered one of TNA's larger events, and I could easily see the belt changing hands. If not to Shelly, than to Sorensen or another returning talent. I say another talent because there's a likelihood that they're just sticking Shelley in the X-Division to warm up until Sabin's return, and the impending return of MCMG to the tag team ranks.

I'm going to leave your "Austin Airies is the future of TNA" comment alone for now, so I can go watch more of his material. He might be good, but he's no AJ Styles in my opinion...

hold on, arent we all sick of titles not meaning anything and sick of constant title changes that mean nothing??? Austin Aries has made the X-Division title mean something again. It died a slow death for a while but Aries and co have really elevated that tile. Here is hoping the other titles in both companies are treated with more respect in future. If John Morrison does decide to go to Impact Wrestling, he wont be buried in the X-Division with the piss ants and nevger wers, he will be thrown into the main fold.

There's records in TNA? wow never knew it mattered lol
Double A deserves to be recognized, in the short time he was in TNA and in his return he's put non XDivision guys to shame, and the XDivision has gained some respect again.

[Heel] Green Ranger;3640146 said:
I am not a huge fan of Austin Aires, but everyone's love for him is making me question that. I have said in several of my main site editorials that Aires is the best part of the X-Division, but that compliment only extends so far. Kid Kash is a wholly overrated indie wrestler that has never done anything of record with all his "veteran experience". He was lazy in Sunday's title match, he plays to the crowd as a heel, and he often misses spots. He's also a terrible promo guy...
I'm going to leave your "Austin Airies is the future of TNA" comment alone for now, so I can go watch more of his material. He might be good, but he's no AJ Styles in my opinion...
Kid Kash is a terrible promo guy? He is actually better on the mic than some of WWE's top stars such as Swagger and the plethora of other guys that can't talk worth a damn. For his position in the x-division he is more than capable of doing his job talking I mean they even had him on commentary for one match.

Your comment about AJ just proves you know nothing about promo's, talking or acting. I absolutely adore AJ and think he is easily one of the best in the ring today as well as being one of the most exciting and unique wrestlers, but let's face it the guy can't talk well at all and is quite bad on the mic and just at acting in general. Austin Aries has charisma that AJ will never have and is quite brilliant displaying his arrogance and personality so overall he has more of the whole package than AJ. Just the little things Aries does like talking into the camera saying 'it's a great day to be great' at Genesis and when he shooshes the crowd, he always draws a reaction and it easily shows how he is one of the most talented guys around today.

How having a legitimate champion who puts on quality matches and performs in quality segments on any given week can be construed as transitioning the championship into meaning nothing is beyond me.

The key here is surroundings. If he continues to be this man among boys, yes, I agree, it's pointless, but I can't see that perpetuating, even if it means TNA has to simply continue to build Sorensen/Neese/Ion into legitimate threats (or bring back a familiar face if Jo-Mo falls through). Until that point is reached though, I can't see how anyone could be negative about him retaining the title right now. Hell, it could even become a story itself where Aries demands real competition after having run through the X Division repeatedly. It'd make for a great springboard for a debut or re-debut and still retain all the value in the championship, no?

I'd sooner wait it out for a debut/re-debut than I would award Sorensen or even Kash (as much as I like him) a shorter run right now. All that does is prolong Aries' time in the XD because neither is good enough to really push him out of it through a high profile feud. JoMo, as much as I don't care for him, probably is based on recognition alone.

This is exactly how I feel and have felt for ages now pretty much word for word. Jomo is probably the best option on star power alone and would make the X-divsion quite exciting for a bit if he debuts to be the savior of Aries' dominant reign as champ. Aries has done a brilliant job as champion and no one is really on his level at the moment so it would seem like a huge let down if he was to drop it soon as no one can match the all round talent he has.

You also want to time this right for Aries as he needs to go into an important feud after he drops the belt to elevate him up the ranks. Aries has a following and can draw a reaction from the crowd as well as being able to talk and being extremely talented in the ring. TNA needs to push this guy slowly but surely until he becomes a top star because he easily has all the skills to be one.

I dont have a problem with Aries remaining as the X-Division champion for a while longer, even breaking the record. He is one of the best talents TNA have right now, and is destined for bigger things than the X-Division in the future, so building him up further with a long, record-breaking title reign is fine by me.

However, TNA do need to strengthen the division. I am a big Kid Kash fan- always have been, and I think he deserves a reign in the near future, but if I was TNA I would definitely bring Kazarian and Daniels back to their X-Division roots, and re-introduce Alex Shelley to the division on his return from injury.

Austin Aries is the single best thing to happen to the X Division in years. That doesn't mean that the X Division overall is in great shape, but it's better and more overall relevant now than it's probably been in well over 3 years.

Frequent title changes are nothing new to wrestling, especially among mid-card belts. Aries run of 120 days, thus far, is a respectable one. He's the most overall talented guy to be part of the X Division in a VERY long time, he's had consistently good matches and he's beaten everyone that's come after him. Even though Kazarian's last run was, for the time being, longer, it's not nearly as prestigious as Aries run. For nearly half of Kazarian's last run, he hardly ever even wrestled. I'm not talking just title defenses, I'm talking just wrestling in matches period. Much of the time, he was used mostly as just a member of Fortune in the background, sometimes participating in one of the many overused brawl segments they were doing last year, and that was pretty much it. Even if Aries dropped the belt this Thursday, it's still by far the best X Division title run in several years because the title actually has some relevance.

As for Aries beating the all time record for the longest X Division title run, which is held by Chrisopher Daniels, it's possible but by no means a sure thing. A title run lasting 160+ days is pretty rare in either TNA or WWE these days so it's entirely possible that Aries will drop the title before then. In all honesty, I think it's probably likely. As for who would take it from him, the leading candidate right now looks to be Jesse Sorensen as he's consistently been booked to look like the strongest challenger. In my view, Sorensen isn't nearly ready. He has a nice look and he's pretty good in the ring, but the guy practically screams bland & generic with zero personality. Putting the title on him won't do the X Division any favors in my opinion. The X Division needs some fresh blood because it's getting kind of old seeing Aries consistently beat these same handful of guys in one match after another.

TNA could always put guys like Styles or Daniels back into the X Division, sort of an old vs. new sort of thing between an all time X Division great that helped put TNA on the map vs. the young heel upstart. But that's probably not going to happen. There's been the usual internet gossip and talks of John Morrison coming to TNA. If JoMo walks into the Impact Zone after the no compete clause expires, I almost guarantee that Morrison will be the new X Division Champion. Morrison's promo skills are pretty damn awful but he can go in the ring and puts on entertaining matches. His biggest quality, in the eyes of the TNA brass, is that Morrison was a pretty big star in WWE. It's not an uncommon TNA strategy to put a title on an former WWE guy in the hopes of generating more interest and I don't see that changing in JoMo's case.

It wouldn't bother me to see Aries beat Daniels' record at all. Hell, it's gotta be beaten sometime. As I mentioned earlier, Daniels is a past X Division great that doesn't look like he'll be heading back to compete in the X Division anytime soon. It's a shame really as all he seems to be doing is generally just floating around the mid-card scene. Aries is the guy carrying the X Division right now, he's the only one really keeping it at all relevant. I think they should keep it on him until they actually have someone come along in the X Division that's worth taking the belt from him.

I think it would be awesome if Aries held the X Division Championship long enough to break the record set by Daniels. Aries has consistently been the best part of the X Division and no one on the current roster deserves that honor more than him. If he did break the record then that would add something else for him to brag about. Imagine all the great promos about how he was the best X Division Champion of all time. It would help him when he moves further up the card as well. I support the idea of Aries becoming the longest reigning X Division Champion because it would do wonders for his credibility, which is already pretty great.

Kid Kash is a terrible promo guy? He is actually better on the mic than some of WWE's top stars such as Swagger and the plethora of other guys that can't talk worth a damn.
Yeah, that's a fair point, and I for one...WAAAIT A MINUTE! Did you just use the words "Swagger" and "top stars" in the same sentence? First of all, the "he's not so bad because he's better than certain terrible WWE guys" is a ridiculous statement to make and holds no logical sense whatsoever. But then to try and back up your point with Swagger...? That's like saying "Try this glass of dog piss. It's great because it's not as bad as WWE's worst dog piss!"

For his position in the x-division he is more than capable of doing his job talking I mean they even had him on commentary for one match.
No joke...I almost turned the TV off when he was on commentary. I'd rather listen to Scott Steiner. At least his inability to speak is hilarious...

Your comment about AJ just proves you know nothing about promo's, talking or acting.
:wtf: I had nothing but praise for AJ...

I absolutely adore AJ and think he is easily one of the best in the ring today as well as being one of the most exciting and unique wrestlers, but let's face it the guy can't talk well at all and is quite bad on the mic and just at acting in general.
Since teaming with Ric Flair he has become a hell of a lot more confident. His legacy within TNA makes him believable on its own, but his promos have gotten significantly better. I'm going to use your logic here... He's actually pretty good, because he's more natural on the mic than Jeff Hardy, he's less obnoxious than Ken Anderson, and he's got way more credibility to be speaking than Robert Roode. Now, I love Roode...so don't read too much into that.

Austin Aries has charisma that AJ will never have and is quite brilliant displaying his arrogance and personality so overall he has more of the whole package than AJ.
Look, I think the guy is decent. Good, even. But prove to me that he is "brilliant". Flair is brilliant. Paul Heyman is brilliant. IDR is brilliant. This isn't just a term we can throw around loosely because you like the guy...

Just the little things Aries does like talking into the camera saying 'it's a great day to be great' at Genesis and when he shooshes the crowd, he always draws a reaction and it easily shows how he is one of the most talented guys around today.
Personally, I think the spinning elbow drop thing he does is incredibly lame. Just me?

ANYWAYS, the only reason i wanted to post was because at the time of my writing this Austin Airies has dethroned Kazarian's title reign, and is now gunning at the very top spot. If he can hang on to the belt for 53 more days, meaning March 11th, he will hold the record for longest X-Division title reign.

[Heel] Green Ranger;3661026 said:
Yeah, that's a fair point, and I for one...WAAAIT A MINUTE! Did you just use the words "Swagger" and "top stars" in the same sentence? First of all, the "he's not so bad because he's better than certain terrible WWE guys" is a ridiculous statement to make and holds no logical sense whatsoever. But then to try and back up your point with Swagger...? That's like saying "Try this glass of dog piss. It's great because it's not as bad as WWE's worst dog piss!"

No joke...I almost turned the TV off when he was on commentary. I'd rather listen to Scott Steiner. At least his inability to speak is hilarious...

:wtf: I had nothing but praise for AJ...

Since teaming with Ric Flair he has become a hell of a lot more confident. His legacy within TNA makes him believable on its own, but his promos have gotten significantly better. I'm going to use your logic here... He's actually pretty good, because he's more natural on the mic than Jeff Hardy, he's less obnoxious than Ken Anderson, and he's got way more credibility to be speaking than Robert Roode. Now, I love Roode...so don't read too much into that.

Look, I think the guy is decent. Good, even. But prove to me that he is "brilliant". Flair is brilliant. Paul Heyman is brilliant. IDR is brilliant. This isn't just a term we can throw around loosely because you like the guy...

Personally, I think the spinning elbow drop thing he does is incredibly lame. Just me?

ANYWAYS, the only reason i wanted to post was because at the time of my writing this Austin Airies has dethroned Kazarian's title reign, and is now gunning at the very top spot. If he can hang on to the belt for 53 more days, meaning March 11th, he will hold the record for longest X-Division title reign.
Swagger isn't a top star but he is one of their main mid-card guys with regular exposure and is the current U.S champ as well as a former heavyweight champ. There is a lot of guys in WWE such as Swagger who are absolutely horrible at talking and acting and it's painfully obvious that they suck at it as they regularly screw up in promos and such. This is why a lot of them can't get over no matter how hard they're pushed. Kash is a veteran and he might not be an amazing talker but he isn't bad and can play his character well. He can talk without being awkward and nervous as he is a veteran and knows all the tricks of the trade by his age. He certainly isn't a bad guy to have in a midcard division such as the x-division and he has done well while he's been in it.

Anywayyy back to the topic you said Aries is no Aj Styles and I pointed out how Aries is actually an all round better performer than AJ as he has tons more charisma and personality and is much more comfortable on the mic. You might not think he's great but a lot of people recognise how good he is as you can even see in this thread and the guy really does have it all. He is phenomenal in the ring and great on the mic. His promo before his promo on Impact and his exchange with Shelley was awesome. This guy is better than most of the guys out there today and can be easily be a success as a top star if pushed well.

However, TNA do need to strengthen the division. I am a big Kid Kash fan- always have been, and I think he deserves a reign in the near future, but if I was TNA I would definitely bring Kazarian and Daniels back to their X-Division roots, and re-introduce Alex Shelley to the division on his return from injury.

Absolutely, Shelley is the best option here.I knew he had a shoulder injury, but I was unaware it was serious. I thought the reason he was kept off TV was to introduce and develop new characters, specifically, Zema Ion and Jesse Sorenson. While a nice job has been done with both, especially Sorenson, neither has yet to come off as a threat to Austin Aries. Aries has beaten Sorenson time and again when it's mattered, and Sorenson has gotten the upper hand over Ion when they've wrestled. Perhaps the best thing for the two is a second X-Division feud, which it seems they're laying the groundwork for. But if Aries title reign is to be threatened, it shouldn't and likely won't be by Ion or Sorenson.

Interesting enough, Alex Shelley was Aries first clean victory in the X-Division after Aries won his TNA contract, and it was a smart move. Putting him over an established veteran such as Shelley allowed for Aries to gain credibility with the average fan who is unaware of Aries' past work. Most won't remember their feud from 2005, so their promo together on Thursday was an excellent way of putting the two back together.

Speaking of the promo, the spotlight it was given along with the amount of time put into it leads me to believe that this is the beginning of a nice, long feud. It appears Shelley will be the next challenger following said promo, a challenger that's finally on Aries' level at that. WHen was the last time we've seen such a focus being put on the X-Division, promo wise? I certainly can't remember when.

In response to the original question, I don't think Aries will break the record. Whether it has to do with protecting Daniel's record, or just that Shelley is the best choice to beat him, I'm not sure. But I could see a scenario where Aries defeats Shelley once or twice even, with Shelley being granted a "last chance" match, winning the title there. In that way, Aries loses nothing by losing the title, and Shelley is the established babyface fans will truly get behind.. They could even hot potato the title here, with Shelley winning it, only for Aries to win it back once Chris Sabin is ready to return.
Anyway they do it, this is a win-win situation for the fans.

So no, I don't see Aries breaking the record here. I really don't care about Daniels' record, but I think it holds up here. TNA has done a nice job for the most part of not hot-shotting the X-Division title, and Aries has been a great champion. But I fully believe with the way they've laid the groundwork for Shelley/Aries is for Shelley to eventually take the title from Aries, and before Aries breaks the record as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back