Are You Okay With CM Punk Taking A Shot At Hogan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
CM Punk was the guest on the BJ Shea Morning Experience Radio Show, which broadcasts out of Seattle, earlier today. During the interview, Punk had the following to say about Hulk Hogan and TNA: "My take is first of all that we have Tribute to the Troops on Saturday..." Punk said. "That's probably going to be a much better show than whatever that TNA is going to put on. I have a lot of friends that work there and I do watch the show, but I seem to watch it on perpetual fast forward."

"I hope, I really hope that something comes of it. I have zero faith in Hulk Hogan as a man who is what 60 years-old and tries to dress like he's 18 and lives on the Jersey Shore. For a guy I've never met, I've formulated enough opinions about him just from being around him and like his business acumen and stuff like that, I really trust that he's not in this for TNA and he's not in this for the business. He's in this for himself."

Well it seems the Straightedge Superstar isn't to high on the Hulkster. As I was reading this, I was surprised how Punk ripped into Hogan, and wouldn't let up. I know there are probably plenty of wrestlers in the business who don't like Hogan, but is it smart for Punk to come out and say this where people can see this? Are you okay with Punk taking a shot at Hogan, seeing as how people might percieve this as one of the younger guys being a jerk?

I wonder, is Punk trying to stir the pot for Jan 4? Is he taking the first public jab at TNA to add some fire into the upcoming Monday night wars? thoughts?

Punk throwing down a strong, smart-ass opinion. Wow. Definately newsworthy.

*Edit* Thought it was a spam thread. Gimme a second.

Punk is definately not wrong about anything that he said. While Hogan has a history of being good for business, thus getting a pass for some of the bloodsucking and taking for himself while giving nothing back, nothing Punk said about Hogan and none of the judgements he's made based on Hogan's histroy are in any way wrong. Hogan deserved every word of that. The only knock anybody could have about this is that Punk's not in the best place in the world to talk down to one of the biggest icons in the industry... but I don't go for that "circle the wagons and protect the boys club" stuff. Punk should be able to say these words and have them carry just as much weight as they would if Steve Austin were saying them, IMO.

Is this just the WWE making Punk say something like this? Maybe. Maybe not. Punk has a histroy of free-thinking and speaking publically against the company line. Instead of saying the future is Ted Jr. like everyone else does, Punk will put over Bourne. I doubt you're gonna put words in Punk's mouth.

I dont think its so much Punk taking a shot at Hogan, as it seems its more just him basically saying what EVERYONE else is thinking. Excluding Hogan, as most likely in his mind he can draw bigger than lets say Cena, and Dixie Carter because well she prolly thinks w/e the Hulkster says is gold. But seriously with everything that has been going on with Hogan the past few years what does he have to offer the wrestling business in 2010? He cant wrestle, so he cant build a company around numero uno and thats the only reason he was as sucessful as he was. In all likelyhood he dont know shit about anyone in TNA so what is he going to do? His time in TNA will likely destroy them at their foundation. CM Punk knows this, Vince knows this, we all know this, so yea Punk was just stating the one thing that everyone has known since Hogan vs. HBK at Summer Slam. Punk was simply stating fact and at a good time to, imagine if he had made that comment with Hogan under contract with WWE.....He would be reduced to jobber status in WWE untill he was released.

Punk is an idiot, and he contradicts himself. First, he says he's formulated his opinion without ever meeting Hogan. Then he says he's formulated his opinion just from being around him.

Punk is definately not wrong about anything that he said. While Hogan has a history of being good for business, thus getting a pass for some of the bloodsucking and taking for himself while giving nothing back,

Doesn't give anything back? That's a laughable statement. What else do you want him to give?

I think Punks right, remember has has worked for all three televised companies, (TNA ROH and WWE).

The fact is if you look at Hogans track record it speaks volumes, from a guy who was never relied upon to carry the business in the AWA to moving to the WWE and becoming a household name Hogans career speaks volumes, and I have to say i am a huge fan of his for taking a small buisiness and like the WWE and turning it into a household name just by carrying the company.

The fact is though as Punk has stated Hogan is past his prime and cannot work a full schedule, If he spends his time in TNA putting himself over then Punk will be right, the fact that Dixie even thinks that Hogan can move the company to greater hights is ludacris.

The company has the best wrestlers but the worst storylines, and Punk only highlighted that, and the rest of the crap thats been going on in hogans life too, they is nothing left for hogan to do with himself but put the TNA title around his waste and say how great he is, thats all its going to be.

I hope Proves punk and everyone of his doubters wrong and carrys TNA to the next level because it would mean more competition, but just look at the guys track record and argue that punk isnt right about this.

Punk has every right to say this. Tell me, in the last 15 years give me a list of performers that Hogan has put over not named Goldberg, Brock Lesnar or The Rock.

Go on, I'll wait....

Hell Lesnar and the Rock were already mega over at that point too. With Hogan's star power he should have been elevating newer superstars every chance he could get. He had a nice program with Randy Orton in a feud that Orton should've won. What's to say that he wont do the same with the boys in TNA? Hogan loves the spotlight, and he thrives on being the top dog even when it's way past his expiration date.

I love Hogan, but I'm not blind to the fact that he doesnt do anything for the business, unless it's for himself. So, yes. Punk had every right to say what he did, because history proves it's point, and as they always say, history has a way of repeating itself.

*Shrugs* Man's entitled to his opinion and it's not as if Punk said something that hundreds of people on this forum haven't themselves said at various points over the course of this year.

Hogan's history does suggest that he's always out for himself first. It's something that I've posted in several threads in the past and others have as well. One of the most common fears that seems to spring up regarding Hogan being part of TNA is exactly that history of always just looking out for himself and putting anything else in wrestling a distant second. Like Punk, I hope very much I'm wrong in the end but I wouldn't exactly bet the farm on that hope.

As for whether or not its a smart thing to do on Punk's part, I don't really see how it's going to effect him negatively. It's not as if Vince is going to be upset with him over it as Hogan himself has taken more than a few shots at the WWE in his time. Punk's just expressing things as he sees them at this point so, I'm all for it.

Punk is an idiot, and he contradicts himself. First, he says he's formulated his opinion without ever meeting Hogan. Then he says he's formulated his opinion just from being around him.

You can be around a person without having met them. There's hundreds of people in my college. I haven't met all of them but I'm around a lot of them during lectures. What's your point? There's a difference between meeting and being around. You don't have to talk to someone to be around them.

I think is spot on. Hogan's ego may have been justified at one point, from the mid 80's until the end of the NWO, and perhaps during his programme with the Rock. But apart from that Hogan has done nothing to show that he's the major draw he thinks he is. There's reports that his Australian tour flopped but Hogan is still going on about how TNA will draw a 3.0 when he's on. TNA wouldn't have been able to draw the 3.0 even if WWE didn't have Bret Hart or The Rock on the 4th, simply because Hogan isn't relevant anymore.

I'm sure Hogan fans will be eager to prove Punk wrong. But he's right. Hogan is a 60 year old going on like he's in his prime. Hogan isn't relevant anymore. His legacy is, but he as the man that he currently is, just isn't relevant.

Everything CM Punk says is completely true. He's not saying something that shouldn't have been said. I mean it's just facts. Hogan is a person who will suck the money out of somebody just because he thinks he's over. Not to mention, right now, WWE needs legends to put over some of the younger talent.

Why do you think he went with TNA anyways? Because WWE wouldn't pick him up. And why wouldn't they pick him up? Because he wouldn't put over younger talent.

Just look at the people he should've put over, but didn't... Shawn Michaels, Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle, Undertaker, Randy Orton... Especially Orton. I mean he was the Legend Killer. And what bigger legend than Hulk Hogan?

It's not like him putting anyone over would hurt him.

Everything CM Punk says is completely true. He's not saying something that shouldn't have been said. I mean it's just facts. Hogan is a person who will suck the money out of somebody just because he thinks he's over. Not to mention, right now, WWE needs legends to put over some of the younger talent.

Why do you think he went with TNA anyways? Because WWE wouldn't pick him up. And why wouldn't they pick him up? Because he wouldn't put over younger talent.

Just look at the people he should've put over, but didn't... Shawn Michaels, Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle, Undertaker, Randy Orton... Especially Orton. I mean he was the Legend Killer. And what bigger legend than Hulk Hogan?

It's not like him putting anyone over would hurt him.

He put over Angle, Lesnar, and Undertaker. There was no reason to put over Shawn Michaels, something I've already explained on this board. But, I agree, he probably should have put Randy Orton over.

He put over Angle, Lesnar, and Undertaker. There was no reason to put over Shawn Michaels, something I've already explained on this board. But, I agree, he probably should have put Randy Orton over.

Angle was already over. As was Lesnar. These guys had already established themselves as main event players, and had already had World Titles under their belts. Same goes with Orton, but he also lost a ton of momentum. Hogan put over Undertaker back when Hogan was a huge huge name in the 90's. When he lost to Taker again, Taker was the top dog. So this argument doesn't really hold any weight.

Angle was already over. As was Lesnar. These guys had already established themselves as main event players, and had already had World Titles under their belts. Same goes with Orton, but he also lost a ton of momentum. Hogan put over Undertaker back when Hogan was a huge huge name in the 90's. When he lost to Taker again, Taker was the top dog. So this argument doesn't really hold any weight.

Actually, Lesnar didn't have any championships when he faced Hogan. I'll argue that Hogan was the first to put Lesnar over after winning the King of the Ring and then Rock and Undertaker followed suit. Orton was going nowhere before he faced Hogan and he teamed up with Edge and had pretty good matches with DX after Hogan so he didn't lose any momentum.

On the topic at hand, if Vince was telling Punk to say some of these things then that was to be expected because of Hogan joining TNA. If it was Punk saying these things on his own, then I don't know whether he's going to be in the doghouse more or not. Since it's about Hogan, I don't believe Vince will care much. If Hogan retaliates though, then I believe Vince will start taking notice. I don't foresee any punishment coming down on Punk but with his recent transgressions, I can't rule it out.

Actually, Lesnar didn't have any championships when he faced Hogan. I'll argue that Hogan was the first to put Lesnar over after winning the King of the Ring and then Rock and Undertaker followed suit. Orton was going nowhere before he faced Hogan and he teamed up with Edge and had pretty good matches with DX after Hogan so he didn't lose any momentum.

On the topic at hand, if Vince was telling Punk to say some of these things then that was to be expected because of Hogan joining TNA. If it was Punk saying these things on his own, then I don't know whether he's going to be in the doghouse more or not. Since it's about Hogan, I don't believe Vince will care much. If Hogan retaliates though, then I believe Vince will start taking notice. I don't foresee any punishment coming down on Punk but with his recent transgressions, I can't rule it out.

Touche, I had forgot about that encounter. I was thinking about the one where he had left Hogan bloody, and Hogan was out of action for awhile. Still though, at the time nobody was going to stop Lesnar. He was just a beast and pretty much made himself into a main eventer.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with it. Why can't he? It's not like it isn't true. No one told him to say that. CM Punk's always had a reputation of saying shit like this, I seriously doubt Vince or anyone else told him to say what he did. I pretty much agree with it. Hulk Hogan annoys the living hell out of me, I still don't like TNA's decision to sign him, especially if it involves him hobbling down the ramp and falling down all over the six-sided ring. Hogan's ego is beyond massive, and him still trying to be 20 is ridiculous. I so.. SO agree with his statement that Hogan isn't doing this for TNA. He doesn't give a shit. He's doing this for personal gain, and because he quite frankly fell off the map. It was a way to help add onto the mediocre popularity his Hulkamania tour was getting. I hate to see the ruins that will be TNA if Hogan takes over and tries to make himself a big star again. Oh god

Punk has every right to say this. Tell me, in the last 15 years give me a list of performers that Hogan has put over not named Goldberg, Brock Lesnar or The Rock.

Lex Luger, Sting, and he made Billy Kidman a main eventer. Let me say that again. He ME a ppv against Billy Kidman. Doesn't matter what the result was, thats more than enough. Hogan 2nd run, his win loss was not good. He put over Rock twice, then Rock left company anyways. He lost to Undertaker, Angle, HHH, and Jericho. And he did put over Lesnar before anyone else did. He didn't put over Orton in his match, but he did an interview where he put him over, saying that was his best match ever in Boston, even better than one against Sting.

And Punk has no right to Bash Hogan. What has he done? What amazing matches has he had besides Hardy and maybe Taker? Hes won a few Championships, but the wins were taking advantage of already beaten men, and the reigns were short. You could blame that on WWE, although they know Punk couldn't draw flies even if he was covered in shit. When hes a healiner, one of the most recognizable figures in the industry, then maybe he can talk. He was bitching about Cena, the guy should just be quiet.

When you talk shit about people, even if it's true, it still doesn't make you look good.

But, this is all probably based on the whole jan 4th thing anyway, where they want to make the competition look as bad as possible. Plus, Punk's technically a heel, so he's definitely getting heel heat in the specifically Punk way. The whole "I know everything and what's best for everybody" vibe.

Lex Luger, Sting, and he made Billy Kidman a main eventer. Let me say that again. He ME a ppv against Billy Kidman. Doesn't matter what the result was, thats more than enough.

Wow, where to begin with this. Sting, you really think Hogan made Sting? Try Ric Flair in the 80s. It was Sting and Flair that Carried WCW before Hogan got their. So don't say that Hogan helped make Sting. Luger? He didn't make Luger. And Kidman? :lmao: Yeah what has Kidman done since then?

Let me break down your next section.

Hogan 2nd run, his win loss was not good.

ok?

He put over Rock twice,

Who was already a main eventer, and the second biggest name in the company before Hogan lost to him at Maina.

then Rock left company anyways.

What does this have to do with it?

He lost to Undertaker, Angle, HHH, and Jericho.

Each of which were already establish main eventers. Each had already headlined multiple ppv's and All but Angle at that point had headlined Maina. So to say that he helped any of them is ridiculous.

And he did put over Lesnar before anyone else did.

Yes there's one man that he actually put over and gave some credibility to.

He didn't put over Orton in his match, but he did an interview where he put him over, saying that was his best match ever in Boston, even better than one against Sting.

And that tells me what? Nothing, Hogan says things like this all the time, and ends up talking out of both sides of his mouth. He doesn't put people over in the ring.

And Punk has no right to Bash Hogan.

Why not? Each of us do it almost daily, why isn't he allowed to voice his opinions of him?

What has he done? What amazing matches has he had besides Hardy and maybe Taker?

Actually his matches have were pretty entertain when creative actually used him properly. Go look his almost any of his and Morrison's matches.

Hes won a few Championships, but the wins were taking advantage of already beaten men, and the reigns were short.

Yes, same can be said about Edge who receives a ton of praise.

You could blame that on WWE, although they know Punk couldn't draw flies even if he was covered in shit.

Do they? Have they even tried to allow him to draw? He's main events this year were with Hardy, who will draw no matter what, and 'Taker. So you don't know if he can draw on his own or not. So don't say that til you have proof.

When hes a healiner, one of the most recognizable figures in the industry, then maybe he can talk. He was bitching about Cena, the guy should just be quiet.

Actually he's was before WWE put him in the dog house. He was easily the biggest heel in the company. He drew more heat then anyone. Did you not see when he impersonated Hardy? People hated him. Many on here, including myself that he was doing a brilliant job.

He has the right to say what he wants to say about Hogan. It's his right, and his opinion. Just like Cena says what he says about Rock. I happen to agree with him. Hogan has taken the life out of main top names in the past. And will continue to do so.

I'm fine with what Punk said about Hogan. It's not like he questioned Hogan's impact on wrestling or anything, he just stated that he thinks Hogan is a douche basically. Considering Punk's reputation for speaking his mind I wouldn't count on him showing his wwe pride "talking trash" to TNA so much as he is just bluntly speaking his mind. So let's not read too much into this.

First of all Punk can say whatever he likes in my opinion. Secondly Punk is known to not always follow policy so who knows if WWE was or wasnt happiy with this, I guess Punk probably just went for it, even so I think its a little different for Punk than a WWE-4-lifer as it is well known Punk is friends with a few TNA talent though whether they'll be pleased with him voicing this. I think its a positive thing for Punk to be so outright and save it from Vince saying something like that that we may see a little more stirring.

Why would I have a problem with this? Punk is 100% correct in his evaluation of Hogan. His age specifically. This isn't a problem as such if he isn't going to be playing an on-screen/wrestling role, but I assume he will. We've all heard of his problems over the years, he's not the same guy he was 20 years ago, but he acts as if he is. As for Hogan being in this for himself, I've seen no evidence to contradict this. I'm not a fan of Hogan, and I don't see why else he'd try and 'help' a smaller promotion. He's been offered a lot of money simply to thrust TNA into the main media - that's what this is about.

Ok, I'm no Hogan mark, but I was as kid, and that guy did more the business in his time than Punk will do in the rest of his. Where does he get the audacity to talk shit about a guy who really helped make this business?

I don't care about his personal life that has fallen apart in a media circus, I don't care about what people say about his business ethics either. Hogan was on top for years and a lot of people hate him for it. When your the top dog, of course everyone else wants that spot, and they are going to do anything they can to diminish the guy who is there.

I think that is where some of the "Stories" about Hogan come from. As for him taking the money and only caring about himself, what else do you expect??? If he doesn't look out for himself, who is? His loyal fans in the IWC who talk shit about him at every pass? No. The answer is, he has had to watch his ass, and get what he could, when he could just like every other wrestler out there. He was just lucky enough to be as big as he was twice because when it comes down to it, ring work aside, Hogan is the greatest of all time. No one has captured the attention, adoration, or imagination of an entire generation like Hogan, and no one probably ever will.

So what he's old. Ric Flair was old 20 years ago and is still going, and can still put on a hell of a match. And really, has anyone even considered the amount of courage it takes for this guy to get in there again. You all know he came back from Australia in a heap, his body has been turning on him, and every match is a risk at this point for him.

I realize that is most of the reason people are saying he needs to hang it up, but maybe he needs this right now. None of you know his situation, you don't have his financial information in front of you. This guy just got his ass kicked in a divorce settlement to that money hungry ****e he called his wife, and I don't give a shit if he slept around on her, he's Hulk Hogan, is he wants Hulkamania to run wild on a bunch of younger chicks so be it, he's earned it.

I want to get back to that courage thing again too. You think he is stupid? You think he doesn't know what people will and are saying? Of course he does, that is another reason why I comment on how much courage he is displaying in going for this deal with TNA. He knows what people think, but he's going to do this anyways against all his critics, and against all the nay-sayers. I respect the hell out of that.

I never said Hogan was a great person, and I don't expect him to be. This guy gave his life and his body to the fans for what has become the majority of his life. Now he was handsomely rewarded for it too, but as is the case especially now, everyone has turned on him. And now, this little bastard C.M. Punk who couldn't draw a dime on his own, wants talk shit about the Babe Ruth of Wrestling. Fuck Him. What makes him so special? In his prime, Punk couldn't hold a candle to Hogan, his charisma alone would blow Punk out of the arena.

I think a lot of people need to lay off of the Hulkster and give him a break. After all the guy is about 60 now and still doing this, that is something to be admired and respected, not mocked and shunned. I think it is really special, that one more time, probably the last, we will get to see Hulk Hogan in a mainstream capacity. I don't care about the money, and the politics, and all that stuff. this guy deserves our respect, not our hatred. What did he do that was so wrong? He entertained all of us for years and years in two different generations, and now he's going for a third. That is alright by me.

Here is something else to think about. They may call him "The Immortal Hulk Hogan" but someday in the future he's going to die as we all will, and that is going to be one hell of a sad day. He's not going to be around forever, and after he's gone a lot of people are going to say "Oh, I wish I could have seen him wrestle one more match" "I wish he could have done more at the end of his career." and then what will you be saying ??? The fact that we get to see him go out there for one more run should be exciting, and you should be excited for it.

Not much longer and he really won't be able to do any of it whether he wants to or not. So while his body can still handle it even a little bit, he is going to go out there and give the fans a good show, try to help this growing company, and maybe try to make an even bigger impact on the business than before. Maybe this is him trying to restore his legacy, and really prove all the skeptics and critics wrong in doing the right stuff for TNA. I think he is, and I am looking forward to it.

As for Punk trying to say anything about Hogan, he can go fuck himself! I don't know what makes him think he has the credentials to say a damn thing about Hogan but he doesn't. Maybe in 20 or 30 years if he has accomplished a fraction of what Hogan has in his time, Punk can start running his mouth. But in the grand scheme of things he's still a curtain jerker ok. He is not now and will never be to wrestling what Hogan was, is, or will be and you can put that shit in stone.

Lex Luger, Sting, and he made Billy Kidman a main eventer. Let me say that again. He ME a ppv against Billy Kidman. Doesn't matter what the result was, thats more than enough. Hogan 2nd run, his win loss was not good. He put over Rock twice, then Rock left company anyways. He lost to Undertaker, Angle, HHH, and Jericho. And he did put over Lesnar before anyone else did. He didn't put over Orton in his match, but he did an interview where he put him over, saying that was his best match ever in Boston, even better than one against Sting.

And Punk has no right to Bash Hogan. What has he done? What amazing matches has he had besides Hardy and maybe Taker? Hes won a few Championships, but the wins were taking advantage of already beaten men, and the reigns were short. You could blame that on WWE, although they know Punk couldn't draw flies even if he was covered in shit. When hes a healiner, one of the most recognizable figures in the industry, then maybe he can talk. He was bitching about Cena, the guy should just be quiet.

CM Punk vs. Raven - Any of them
CM Punk vs. Samoa Joe - Any of them
CM Punk vs. Austin Aries - Punk The Final Chapter
CM Punk vs. Jeff Hardy - Summer Slam
CM Punk vs. Undertaker - Bragging Rights
CM Punk vs. John Morrison - Any of them
CM Punk vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Eddie Guerrerro - IWA-Mid South
CM Punk vs. Chris Hero - IWA Mid-South Time Limit Draw
CM Punk vs. Ace Steel - Ladder Match

Any CM Punk match you watch is a classic. CM Punk has done a lot for the business, and just because WWE doesn't recognize other promotions, doesn't mean he isn't gold.

I've followed CM Punk since 2002 and I must say that this guy is the golden child of Professional Wrestling.

And yet I still stand by him and think he's right. Sure, Hogan has done a lot for the business, but right now what can he do? What kind of match can he pull off? How can he put on a 5 star match with AJ Styles like Sting did? How can he compete with the speed and agility like Daniels? How can he adapt to the new school ways as opposed to his old school?

The guy is 56 years old, and he has way too many knee injuries, back injuries, and other injuries to even go on a full schedule. Not to mention, don't forget that his recent Australia Tour didn't have any great turn outs. So yeah, CM Punk has every right to say what he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back