Are we witnessing a reversal of the Monday Night Wars?

Cookie14

Smart-Ass
In the late '80s there was an established wrestling promotion, with all the biggest names in the business. This company was known as WWF. Than a new company came along, with huge ammounts of money, WCW. They started to bring in the bigger names from the WWF, throwing massive ammounts of money into better production, new PPVs. Then they went into direct competition with the WWF's biggest weekly show, Monday Night Raw.
The biggest names in WWF went to WCW for the promise of more money and an easier schedule, forcing WWF to create new stars, often using wrestlers frustrated with being stuck in the lower leagues of WCW.
After years of battling, WWF won the war, and WCW went out of business.
Fast forward 10 years. WWF has become WWE. Now they are the big company with all the money. They have massive production values, the biggest stars in the business. There is now a new, smaller company, lead by two of the biggest faces in WCW, Hogan and Bischoff. They make a lot of heir own new stars, and take lot of mid/lower card wrestlers from the other company, and make them into stars.
Now they have gone into direct competition on Monday nights.
10 years ago, the richer, arguably bigger (at the time) company went under, due to bad management, poor storylines, and focusing too much on ratings instead of the actual product.
We all know that Vince doesn't see TNA as a huge threat at the moment, but he has never liked any form of competition. My question is, Could WWE fall foul of the same fate as WCW, and lose to the hungrier, forward thinking, developing company that is TNA? Or could both companys survive, and even thrive, when in such a competitive environment?

In the late '80s there was an established wrestling promotion, with all the biggest names in the business. This company was known as WWF. Than a new company came along, with huge ammounts of money, WCW. They started to bring in the bigger names from the WWF, throwing massive ammounts of money into better production, new PPVs. Then they went into direct competition with the WWF's biggest weekly show, Monday Night Raw.
The biggest names in WWF went to WCW for the promise of more money and an easier schedule, forcing WWF to create new stars, often using wrestlers frustrated with being stuck in the lower leagues of WCW.
After years of battling, WWF won the war, and WCW went out of business.
Fast forward 10 years. WWF has become WWE. Now they are the big company with all the money. They have massive production values, the biggest stars in the business. There is now a new, smaller company, lead by two of the biggest faces in WCW, Hogan and Bischoff. They make a lot of heir own new stars, and take lot of mid/lower card wrestlers from the other company, and make them into stars.
Now they have gone into direct competition on Monday nights.
10 years ago, the richer, arguably bigger (at the time) company went under, due to bad management, poor storylines, and focusing too much on ratings instead of the actual product.
We all know that Vince doesn't see TNA as a huge threat at the moment, but he has never liked any form of competition. My question is, Could WWE fall foul of the same fate as WCW, and lose to the hungrier, forward thinking, developing company that is TNA? Or could both companys survive, and even thrive, when in such a competitive environment?

I wouldn't agree with this whatsoever. Just because WWE is has all the money, and is producing sub-par storylines (however nowhere nearly as bad as WCW ever has), doesn't mean by one bit that they are going to go under.

Eric Bischoff may be hailed as one of the smartest men in the business, but he's also got one of the hugest egos working right beside him, Hulk Hogan. People blame Vince Russo for destroying WCW, but it was just as much Hulk, Nash's and anyone else involved in putting themselves first before everyone else that took a toll on the company. Since Bischoff let all that happen and didn't do a thing to stop it, I wouldn't consider him as great as people sell him to be. Fast forward to TNA, you've got Hulk bringing in all his friends, guaranteeing them jobs and paychecks, and thus far in most areas with these old guys completely tarnishing the product, but in other ways helping out the young guys.

WCW looked ridiculous every time they called out WWF on any broadcast. It made them look smaller and far less professional of an organization. Take a look at TNA, and what do you see? Nearly every impact someone in TNA has something to say about WWE. Hulk can't cut a promo without mentioning those three letters, and it doesn't bring anything positive to the product the public is viewing. It makes TNA look bush league, and truly shows why they are smaller.

I will give Hulk credit, he's building up the young guys like he's promised, but some of them are just forcing themselves into roles they shouldn't be in, like AJ Styles. It's not believable to any fan that he's the "'Lil Nature Boy", whatsoever. He doesn't look comfortable in the role and it makes for cringe-worthy TV when they are in the back doing some sort of acting segment.

Vince has always been a survivor. I truly hail him as the smartest man in wrestling history because he stuck to his guns when WCW was trumping them in the ratings. When things started sliding for WWF, Vince pulled his pants up at the end and started producing great television. Feuds were great, the TV was watchable, and the product was overall entertaining. WHY? Because Vince had the competition he needed to motivate him to put out the best product possible. However all of this took a toll on his talent, and he knows that, so he's found that fine line between good entertainment and longevity of talent; he's got to protect his stars to ensure they are around to entertain.

It makes no sense to put your wrestlers in damaging and brutal matches like WCW and ECW did (forcing Vince to have matches nearly every monday where someone was going through the announcers table). As it stands, TNA is still no threat to WWE. Before Hulk came in, Impact was barely a threat to ECW, Vince's third, cut rate show that he didn't invest any of his own time in. Now that Hulk is there, it's still not that much of a threat, .3 marks in the ratings means absolutely nothing to Vince. Now, with NXT, I truly believe that show will also out-rate impact as well (however it has only been 1 episode, so it's hard to judge). So this doesn't bode well for TNA

Maybe if TNA was getting solid 3.0's (like Hulk Promised it would be) Vince would be getting a little worried, but TNA has done absolutely nothing in the way of good television itself to make more fans want to view the product.

Now I'm not bashing on TNA, I'm just saying that people have to quit looking at Hulk Hogan like he's Mr. Wrestling-Booker-Encyclopedia, because let's face it, he had much to do with the ratings decline in 99 as Kevin Nash and Vince Russo did. I really do not believe Hulk understands the entertainment side of the business as much as he thinks he does, and Eric Bischoff is really only a guy that knows how to spend other's money like it's his own. He's a great mind when it comes to marketing and brand recognition, but he's done nothing in TNA that even supports that aspect of his past.

I'd love to see TNA go head to head with RAW in a competitive manner, but until they pull their socks up and start putting on great entertaining TV that non-wrestling fans can connect with, they're not going to get anywhere very fast. The IWC Hails TNA because of it's superior ring-work, but that's about all TNA has. They don't have entertaining TV in the way of storyline and drama and cliffhangers the way the general public needs to have in order to get hooked.

I , because let's face it, he had much to do with the ratings decline in 99 as Kevin Nash and Vince Russo did.

OKay bud I gotta correct you here...

What was WCW's most profitable year?

Answer: 1998 That year Hogan was champ for most of it..

What was WCW's least profitable year of all time?

Answer: 1999 That year Hogan was taken off TV mostly and champs were David Arquette, Booker T, jeff Jarrett. Neither could draw half of what Hogan could draw..

When Hogan was on TV WCW was doing good business.. when Hogan stopped being put on TV (mixed with terrible fueds) ratings dropped...

Nash as a booker was fail! EPIC Fail.. kevin Sullivan Booked after him but the business passed him by...

Hogan is a great mind like you said.. but I would not put blame on Hogan for WCWs failure.. he said himself he tried to fix things there but no one would listen.. by that time Bischoff wasn't even in charge.. and there was no leadership from the front office.. Then came AoL time warner merger... that wanted nothing to do with wrestling even though they (at the time) were doing 2.0-3.0 ratings.. (Raw was doing 5-8.0 easy around that time) But 2.0-3.0 is still a large audiance and most TV shows have those ratings now..but AoL wanted nothing to do with it either.. (hell they even sold the Atlanta Braves) its no wonder why AOL is going down the toilet too.. its basically a recipe for disaster to have bad management equals to going out of business..

In regards to what the OP is saying.. I can agree and add some more to it..

Before WCW there was NWA, and AWA, and WWF.. in the 80's.

Vince bought all his talent from the AWA (Hogan, Rude, Perfect, Heenan, etc etc) and caused AWA to go bankrupt..

NWA then sold there company to Vince in the 80's by the crocketts.. But the superstation (TV) was owned by Ted Turner who did not want to do business with Vince.. so Vince sold the rights back to the Crockets so they can sell it to Ted Turner...

Ted Turner bought the NWA and renamed it WCW..

Then they hired AWA rejects Eric Bishoff and other names.. eventually the steriod scandal hurt the WWF and wrestlers were bailing to go to WCW like you mentioned..

WCW only had a Saturday night show that started at 6:05 on TBS .. it did ratings of 1.0-2.0 consistantly.. but Ted Turner loved wrestling.. they went on and got prime time for Nitro.. there first Monday night was less than stellar in ratings.. but it got the ball rolling... then came the NWO.. and Hogans heel turn.. ratings swored!! but it was a year or two after they started on Monday nights....

At the time RAW was taped and was in a "impact zone" esc arena.. it was the same arena (much like Impact is today) it was not until later that they went into bigger arenas to compete..

During this time Vince had to change with the times and be as edgy as WCW was doing with there NWO stuff and cruiserweights (around this time WWF started up a light wieght division) Much like how Vince Bankrupted the AWA stealing there talent to make his own empire.. WCW ironically was doing the same to WWF at the time and nearly bankrupted them.. until Vince decided to go against the PG ways and go to Pg-13 style of things..

... Fast forward 10 years later...

More steriod allegations on the WWE, and are back to being a PG company... TNA rising company that is PG-13 with light work schedule being runned by one of the boys.. and one of the biggest names ever in the industry "Hogan" I can see why you see parrells..

its an interesting take really..

WWE will play the part the WWF did, TNA will play the part of WCW. WCW was a better promotion than TNA currently is, and the WWE still has the name recognition, which is very important in these things. I expect TNA's ratings to increase when they go head to head with the WWE, although I don't expect it to affect the WWE's ratings too much. When TNA get to a certain level, McMahon will take them more seriously, and we'll see some amazing wrestling as he works to put a stop to them. It'll work, and the WWE will win the wars. TNA will either be moved away from Monday nights, or be stopped altogether depending on how many very loyal fans they have. You can say I'm being harsh, but the truth is, McMahon has done exactly the same with competition much better than TNA is.

This is a completely different type of situation. TNA doesn't have anywhere close the amount of financial resources that WCW had. The WWE is still the WWE, so that half really isn't changing...its finding the next "opponent" for them that is the difference. When TNA has the kind of corporate sponsorship that allows them to spend the kind of money WCW did, when they can afford to match the WWE in what they pay their wrestlers, then, maybe you will have a new "war". Right now, TNA can't do any of those things, Panda Energy is not Ted Turner or Time Warner, and if TNA's ratings don't improve, eventually Spike TV will give up on their personal war with Vince McMahon because its not profitable, and they could take TNA off the air. WCW was aired on a network owned by their owner. They never had to worry about their television contract, as long as Ted Turner had a say. They were established before Time Warner merged with Turner, so they had a much safer situation than TNA does. If TNA doesn't produce, Spike could eventually take them off of TV. TNA is in a far more precarious position than WCW was.

No. TNA, at this point in time, stands no chance. WWE is like a big, tough, unstoppable force, and TNA is Carlito. Sure, Carlito might get some offense in,but the big tough guy would wreck him, and hit him with a Uranage, cause a Uranage kicks ass. Just because they have the Hulkster, Bischoff, AJ Styles and alot of other dried up oldies, doesn't mean they can draw more. As much as I hate saying this, Cena is right. Hulk Hogan, your time is up, Cena's time is now, because he's Hulk Hogan,jr.

I don't consider this at all to be seen as another "Monday Night Wars" i would only consider it so if TNA was actually competition to WWE which it is not. As of Now it is filled with alot of WWE rejects getting pushed over TNA originals(like Orlando Jordan over Samoa Joe).
Plus who is it that Bischoff and Hogan do not like?:
Eric Young, Daniels, The British Invasion are who i can think of right now and they are all great talents in my opinion.

I think as long as TNA is able to pull it's "average" ratings, both TNA management and Spike will be satisfied overall. There have been lots of comparissons between TNA and WCW, particularly in regards to the whole Monday Night Wars thing. Unlike WCW, TNA doesn't really have the steam to knock WWE out of the #1 spot anytime soon. WCW was a much stronger company that was fueled by a lot of well known wrestling talent and had the near limitless financial resources of Ted Turner. We can debate as to which company is better, who has the better wrestlers and so on and so forth until we grow mushrooms in our cracks, but it all comes down to numbers at the end of the day.

As much as some hate to admit or think it, pro wrestling is a buisness just like any other and the numbers that WWE and TNA television programs pull in, the number of ppv buys they have and the number of asses put into seats do matter when it's all said and done. Right now, the WWE is the company that has the momentum at this point. Raw has been a better show overall thus far this year than it was last year. Anticipation is high for WM, there are already several highly anticpated and interesting matches at WM this year, build up for WM on Raw has been especially strong thus far, storylines have improved, wrestling content has improved, and Raw has maintained an average audience of about 5.3 million people a week thus far in 2010.

TNA, on the other hand, is going in the opposite direction it seems. Virtually all of the interest and momentum generated since Hulk Hogan's debut with TNA has evaporated. This past Thursday's iMPACT! drew a 1.1 rating, which is the lowest the show has done since Hogan's debut and is more in line with what TNA has been normally pulling. Hogan's presence in TNA has been mixed overall as have been what's happened in TNA since his arrival. Some long time fans of TNA do feel that they're being pushed aside as Hogan is making changes that they don't like in the hopes of drawing in a larger audience. TNA is heavily populated at this time with associates and friends of Hulk Hogan, many of whom I think are little more than a waste of air time and Hogan himself has been steadily making himself the centerpiece of TNA iMPACT! for the past month or so. He and Ric Flair are going to work a tag match on the March 8th episode of iMPACT! and while that will probably generate some interest since many fans haven't seen Hogan wrestle in a long time, it's something that's not going to help TNA in the long run. The ball has very much been dropped in regards to TNA's permanent move to Monday nights. The buzz and excitement generated is practically nill when compared to the buzz generated by the January 4th show.

However, TNA could prove to be the little engine that could. We can run down the WWE and hype TNA all we like, but the fact of the matter is that TNA has an uphill battle to fight at this point.

Alot of people point to many different reasons why WCW failed. I can tell you this much, for the most part Hogan didn't have THAT much to do with it. Like was stated a few posts up, in 1998 when the heel Hogan was champ for I believe 70% of the year or so, along with the machine that was Goldberg, it was their highest year in terms of profit/ratings. In 1999, though, when Kevin Nash became the head booker, things got a little iffy. When he booked himself to end Goldberg's streak was the big one. It killed any momentum they had with his character and then EVERYONE in the company was the same again. No more super hero. And anyone that says Nash didn't book himself to end the streak is lying to themselves or didn't watch WCW every Monday like I did back then. He wasn't in the title picture at all, then "Hey Goldberg, I'm Next whether you like it or not." And when Hogan was off tv, Jeff Jarrett thought he should get a bigger role, which is what that jackass known as Vince Rusoo gave him and he couldn't draw enough to fill a high school gym by himself. Then of course there is Russo giving the belt to Arquette, the Finger Poke of Doom and Jarrett laying down for Hogan at the PPV I believe. All RUSSO's doing on those. TNA will not be able to reach the heights that WCW did, let alone compete with WWE on a weekly basis until Russo is gone, and they advertise themselves better.

Almost forgot what else killed WCW....did you know that when Hall/Nash/Hogan came in that it was in there contracts that if anybody else got paid more than them, that WCW had to raise their pay above whoever it was that they just hired? Found that little tidbit quite interesting when I saw that. Glad Dixie was at least smart enough to NEVER agree to that kind of stipulation.

WCW and then later WWF proved that you have to speculate to accumulate when it comes to wrestling success. WCW brought in the big stars. The WWE pulled it back when they shelled out a shitload for Mike Tyson to appear on WrestleMania. TNA doesn't have the clout to do that right now, and I think that it is highly unlikely that the company will be in a position to sink WWE ever. Not to mention the fact that WWE is now a public company, which means that McMahon can just sell more of the company if times become hard. As long as there is professional wrestling, there will still be a WWE, and no matter how hard TNA try and even if they start to beat them in the ratings in 5 years time or something, I don't think WWE will fold. Remember WCW wasn't in debt when it went under, Time Warner just pulled the plug, so even if WWE somehow shrinks to the size of ROH, it will still be profitable and it will still exist.

I think as long as TNA is able to pull it's "average" ratings, both TNA management and Spike will be satisfied overall.

I think TNA is doing some whistling in the dark when they say that. While they claim to be thrilled with 1.2 ratings, it's hard to believe they didn't expect a ratings explosion when they began the Hogan-Bischoff initiative. People say that ratings will increase over time but it seems to me that the impact of Hulk Hogan & Friends would have been felt immediately, not later. After all, folks didn't have to tune in on January 4th to first find out who Hogan was; they already knew him and if they were going to be knocked silly by the aspect of seeing him again, the effect would have come then and there.

Meanwhile, Hogan says he doesn't want to wrestle but he has to because the fans are demanding it. No, I think it's his massive ego at work once again.

It's not the 1980's anymore, the Hulkamaniacs have grown up........and somewhere along the line it's going to become obvious that being a dominant wrestler (in the past) doesn't necessarily translate to being able to run a wrestling organization.

The ultimate results remain to be seen, but I think TNA was on the right track before: as an alternative to WWE.... with programming on a different night and developing their own style without trying to become WWE-Lite.

We are playing up the “War” connotation a little too much. Two programs can go head to head for years. Why does there have to be one wrestling company? Why are we thinking that we will crown a winner in a fight to the death between promotions? Why does one company have to go bankrupt for there to be a winner or loser? If one goes bankrupt, we’ll be right back to square one all over again, which is what we do NOT want.

Leno and Letterman have been going head to head for years. Television shows have been going head to head for years. Successfully! WCW was different because their parent company didn’t want them anymore…the ratings were fine for cable, they just weren’t better than RAW’s.

I am perfectly fine with having two wrestling shows on Monday nights. I love wrestling, and the more the merrier, as I’m already conditioned to want to watch wrestling on Monday’s. We are looking at WCW’s demise and then thinking that is the ultimate fate of all promotions…it is not. There can be more than one promotion. Monday Night War II doesn’t necessarily mean we will see another casualty. It just means we will have alternatives, and a better wrestling programming.

Two programs can go head to head for years. Why does there have to be one wrestling company? ........... Monday Night War II doesn’t necessarily mean we will see another casualty. It just means we will have alternatives, and a better wrestling programming.

You're right, there doesn't have to be one wrestling company. The problem is that we already have alternatives, one on Monday & Friday.....and one on Thursday. For folks who don't have the ability to tape one show while viewing another, an alternative is being taken away by putting TNA on the same night as RAW. They have to choose one or the other, eliminating their ability to watch both.

Also, it's possible that TNA is cutting their own throat by placing themselves in direct competition with the much larger company. On Thursday night, they've carved out a niche for themselves that keeps them in business. On Monday night, they might lose ratings from the small base they have.....and go out of business.

Then, we have no alternative to WWE, and people on this forum will be cursing McMahon for knocking TNA out of existence.....but it would be TNA's own fault.

No.No.No. tna isnt close to bein competition. all it is is a a third rate promotion riding wwe coat tails. i mean seriously on 1/4 the little interview with tna fans by bubba the fuck head. all those little tna idiots all they did was trash wwe and mcmahon. oh yea you also had that hideous, too wong fu nasty teeth latina talling bout she loves tna cause of the sweaty muscled wrestlers. whats missing? first paying fans, second fans who actually said, hey tna is great cause of great storylines, characters that are cool, etc. but no tna fans are dumbass wwe bashers who think vince owes them something or a nasty tranny looking chick with a jacked up grill. i mean i tried to get into tna and i liked it way back with vampiro feuded with raven and i liked samoa joe. now all it is is a shitty promotion run by people who act like they were vince's ex lovers that he snuck out of bed on when they fell asleep. i mean bitchoff,hogan, foley, flair,even spike network have a hard on to overtake vince which wont happen. i mean road to wrestlemania or flair,hogan and a wwe gimmick rip off 14 years later (abyss) and a rip off of a rip off (styles) ? oh isnt one of the angles of this match about a WWE HOF RING? Yea i think raw and wwe are safe

I don't consider this at all to be seen as another "Monday Night Wars" i would only consider it so if TNA was actually competition to WWE which it is not. As of Now it is filled with alot of WWE rejects getting pushed over TNA originals(like Orlando Jordan over Samoa Joe).
Plus who is it that Bischoff and Hogan do not like?:
Eric Young, Daniels, The British Invasion are who i can think of right now and they are all great talents in my opinion.

First off for Samoa Joe and Orlando Jordan it was for a storyline. Didn't you read the article on this site that when Joe comes back he is going to be in a big role for the company. God maybe you should get your facts straight you fucking moron. Also with Eric Young he is in a storyline with Kevin Nash and The Band, and The British Invasion are feuding with Rob Terry. I don't think Hogan and Bischoff hate them at all.

You're right, there doesn't have to be one wrestling company. The problem is that we already have alternatives, one on Monday & Friday.....and one on Thursday. For folks who don't have the ability to tape one show while viewing another, an alternative is being taken away by putting TNA on the same night as RAW. They have to choose one or the other, eliminating their ability to watch both.

Also, it's possible that TNA is cutting their own throat by placing themselves in direct competition with the much larger company. On Thursday night, they've carved out a niche for themselves that keeps them in business. On Monday night, they might lose ratings from the small base they have.....and go out of business.

Then, we have no alternative to WWE, and people on this forum will be cursing McMahon for knocking TNA out of existence.....but it would be TNA's own fault.

What would you have them do be a bunch of fucking *****es and run off and be scared. I think its good they are going against WWE. And don't start this whole "they need to stay on Thursdays and build their fanbase and be an alternative" bullshit because they have been doing that for years and it has gotten them nowhere. To me they are taking a risk and they are showing they have alot of balls for doing this and I think it is awesome. So instead of degrading them maybe you should thank them for bringing the Monday Night Wars back.

And don't start this whole "they need to stay on Thursdays and build their fanbase and be an alternative" bullshit because they have been doing that for years and it has gotten them nowhere.

Perhaps that is more because their product is bullshit, and not the thursday night timeslot? What makes you think that just because they move to mondays, that the product will suddenly attract all these viewers that have been actively ignoring TNA on thursdays? If being aired on thursdays has gotten them nowhere, why would moving to mondays make it suddenly different? You can't honestly believe that the only reason TNA has failed to build a large fanbase is because of a timeslot, can you? Perhaps it has more to do with the third rate product, and not the time that product airs.

Just like every one else I was happy to hear bout the return of the Monday Night Wars. The thing is I cant help but question if it was a smart move? Did they do it to soon? I even questioned if maybe the should of challenged Smack Down first? Yes I know it is not the same thing but I was thinking if they did that they can build up a fan base and get things moving before going to Mondays. Would that move made any difference?

Before WCW there was NWA, and AWA, and WWF.. in the 80's.

Vince bought all his talent from the AWA (Hogan, Rude, Perfect, Heenan, etc etc) and caused AWA to go bankrupt..

NWA then sold there company to Vince in the 80's by the crocketts.. But the superstation (TV) was owned by Ted Turner who did not want to do business with Vince.. so Vince sold the rights back to the Crockets so they can sell it to Ted Turner...

Ted Turner bought the NWA and renamed it WCW..

Then they hired AWA rejects Eric Bishoff and other names.. eventually the steriod scandal hurt the WWF and wrestlers were bailing to go to WCW like you mentioned..

Now let me correct you, Vince did not buy all of the AWA talent. Heenan wanted out, the Freebirds wanted out and the Road Warriors went to the NWA. Hogan left because Verne wanted 50 percent of his merchandise to give him the world title. How is any of this Vince's fault?? Also verne did not know a thing about marketing which led to his demise.

He also refused to put the belt on younger guys until it was too late.

Fact 2: Vince NEVER owned the NWA, he purchased Georgia Championship Wrestling. he bought out the Brisco's who owned part of that promotion.

It also HAD nothing to do with Vince and Ted Turner that WCW came into play.

Vince sold the time to CROCKETT because his Northeastern show bombed in the south. he did not sell the promotion to Crockett just the time slot. Crockett then began promoting WCW Saturday Night on the Superstation, which was an algamation of his mid-atlantic territory and some folks that had been in Ga.

If Vince is guilty of buying talent than so is Crockett who eventually purchased WCW (Mid-South) and fired everyone save Windham and Dr. Death. He did not offer Ted DiBiase a great deal so Ted went to Vince after seeking advice from Terry Funk. Smaller promotions in the Central States were also absorbed by Crockett.

What killed the NWA was Crockett's stronghold on Flair who had been a traveling champion. This forced World Class to leave the NWA and Mid-South went National and became the UWF.

Fact 3: Wrestlers were not leaving the WWF because of the steroid scandal, they left because Eric was offering GUARANTEED contracts and title reigns via Ted Turner's billions.

The money is the same reason wrestlers left Mid-South, the AWA and Georgia for the WWF, it was because they could make more money and feed their families.

Just like every one else I was happy to hear bout the return of the Monday Night Wars. The thing is I cant help but question if it was a smart move? Did they do it to soon? I even questioned if maybe the should of challenged Smack Down first? Yes I know it is not the same thing but I was thinking if they did that they can build up a fan base and get things moving before going to Mondays. Would that move made any difference?

Challenging SD would have been a great idea. The ratings are lower than Raw, it's (IMO) not as good a show. I still don't see any reason to move though, not until they achieved consistant ratings that could be a threat too any WWE show

Now let me correct you, Vince did not buy all of the AWA talent. Heenan wanted out, the Freebirds wanted out and the Road Warriors went to the NWA. Hogan left because Verne wanted 50 percent of his merchandise to give him the world title. How is any of this Vince's fault?? Also verne did not know a thing about marketing which led to his demise.

He also refused to put the belt on younger guys until it was too late.

Fact 2: Vince NEVER owned the NWA, he purchased Georgia Championship Wrestling. he bought out the Brisco's who owned part of that promotion.

It also HAD nothing to do with Vince and Ted Turner that WCW came into play.

Vince sold the time to CROCKETT because his Northeastern show bombed in the south. he did not sell the promotion to Crockett just the time slot. Crockett then began promoting WCW Saturday Night on the Superstation, which was an algamation of his mid-atlantic territory and some folks that had been in Ga.

If Vince is guilty of buying talent than so is Crockett who eventually purchased WCW (Mid-South) and fired everyone save Windham and Dr. Death. He did not offer Ted DiBiase a great deal so Ted went to Vince after seeking advice from Terry Funk. Smaller promotions in the Central States were also absorbed by Crockett.

What killed the NWA was Crockett's stronghold on Flair who had been a traveling champion. This forced World Class to leave the NWA and Mid-South went National and became the UWF.

Fact 3: Wrestlers were not leaving the WWF because of the steroid scandal, they left because Eric was offering GUARANTEED contracts and title reigns via Ted Turner's billions.

The money is the same reason wrestlers left Mid-South, the AWA and Georgia for the WWF, it was because they could make more money and feed their families.

Georgia Championship Wrestling was a subsidary of the NWA.. when Vince bought it he bought a piece of the NWA.. I never ment the WHOLE NWA. My fact is still correct and your negative rep shows how much this butt hurt you.. sorry about your damn luck
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Championship_Wrestling

When WTBS went on satellite in 1976, making the station available to cable systems all across the USA, the renamed Georgia Championship Wrestling became the first NWA promotion to be broadcast nationally.

Why the hell your arguing about it is beyond me.. I am factually correct..Vince did buy the NWA.. (not all of it) sinec GCW was a part of the NWA.

here is your neg rep you gave me..
factually incorrect the NWA was never sold to McMahon, McMahon purchased Georgia's timeslot when he bought out the Brisco's.

and I again repeat.. I was NOT refering to ALL the NWA.. we should ALL already know that right??? stop being so Anal..geesh... Vince did own a piece of the NWA when he purchased GCW.

Georgia Championship Wrestling was a subsidary of the NWA.. when Vince bought it he bought a piece of the NWA.. I never ment the WHOLE NWA. My fact is still correct and your negative rep shows how much this butt hurt you.. sorry about your damn luck
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Championship_Wrestling

Why the hell your arguing about it is beyond me.. I am factually correct..Vince did buy the NWA.. (not all of it) sinec GCW was a part of the NWA.

here is your neg rep you gave me..

and I again repeat.. I was NOT refering to ALL the NWA.. we should ALL already know that right??? stop being so Anal..geesh... Vince did own a piece of the NWA when he purchased GCW.

No you're still wrong.

he didn't own a piece of the NWA, he never had a vote for the championship. He never promoted GA. He bought the name and the TV time.
Once he purchased it, it ceased to be part of the National Wrestling Alliance. Vince McMahon in the 80s NEVER owned ANY PART of the NWA.

And the rest of your post still contains MULTIPLE inaccuracies.

Thing is that WWE won't go out because Vince McMahon actually knows how to run the Damn company and even if there is some favortism over there and news about not being able to create stars, that is just a facade, because you can see that the top players that are not in the Main event like Punk or the kids on Legacy or Sheamus, just need a little push and they can be very profitable, also the veterans like Michaels, Taker, HHH, Edge and Jericho are still big draws and can carry the shows on their backs without really putting on the same match every night.

Orton and Cena are big draws and not only on the States but outside of them as well, what Vince has done is to braden his product and now is not only a local company but an International company that gives a lot of money to its owner and its employees.

While they lose some PPV buys domestically they get it on the international side, sure the product might be cheaper outside but compensates at the end of the day.

They have made their product into something that will go on for the years to come, something WCW never did, something that in reality TNA is not doing and you can't blame them since they need to get it together in their own contry before they really cross the boarders, while a small tour around europe is good you can't compare it to the WWE schedule were they go around Europe, Asia, Latin America, etc.

You have got to admit that the WWE has become the standard and that is why TNA is trying to get to them, which is a mistake in my opinion, they are a very young company which still needs to grow and find its own way.

Even when WCW was kicking WWE's but every night, the WWE was still the standard and in the end it prevailed.

Eventhough Eric Bishoff is one great mind in the wrestling world and claims to be better than Vince, well truth be told he is not and second he was also part of what killed WCW. Same goes to Hulk Hogan, he can be the most famous guy in wrestling and almost took part on the the demise of the WWE, but at the end of the day he was also part of what killed WCW and the WWE survived without him.

If you thing Russo killed WCW you are giving him too much credit, WCW was already sinking and Vince Russo was a bad choice because he was no savior what so ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back