Apple vs. Samsung - The results

Ty Burna

Getting Noticed By Management
Yes I know there's a spam version in the GSD, but this is something worth discussing here. As it stands right now, damn near all of Samsung's devices were ruled to have infringed on Apple's patents, and were subsequently fined in excess of $1,000,000,000. While the immediate ramifications are pretty clear with Apple getting a nice payment from Samsung, what of the future?

It's pretty clear that Apple used this lawsuit as a stepping stone to going after Google itself. This isn't a war over patents, this is Apple getting nervous over the fact Android devices have overtaken the iPhone and cutting into iPad sales. While they may not actually go over Google just yet, this pretty much gives them free reign to go after all the other smartphone makers. HTC has already felt the pressure with Apple successfully getting some of their devices banned from being imported. If the justice system awards Apple like this at every turn, they'll have no one left to go after except Google and make it an iOs vs. Android battle. Obviously there is a big difference between hardware and software, but Apple will try to tie it all together and say Google made the software and encouraged developers to create phones similar to the iPhone. It's not all roses though for Apple if they go after Google. Google does own Motorola now and their plethora of patents, so they can hit Apple back just as hard.

Personal opinion here, this whole thing was a joke. You have a judge that had done work for Apple in the past presiding over the case, clearly a big conflict of interest. She denied quite a bit of Samsung's evidence that they wanted to bring to the table, yet allowed Apple to use almost similar sources for evidence. Apple didn't invent the touch screen or the tablet even, previous companies have claim to that, yet they were rewarded like they created both. Apple used ticky tack patents that were quite vague and really tried to claim something as their own that has become industry standards.. Essentially the patent system has become a joke especially in the technology field. Companies file patents making extremely vague claims of invention when in reality it's just a small idea that they could apply to a multitude of features in other phones. This hurts innovation, and it's Apple trying to create a monopoly off of these vague ideas. As is well documented, Apple has a history of stealing from other companies, without Xerox's code the Mac OS would never have existed (with an assist from Microsoft), and yet now they have the audacity to act like they're the victim here. Apple is reportedly working on an iPad Mini, I say the companies that have built 7" tablets sue Apple for copying their decision to create a smaller tablet. I mean it can't be anymore legitimate then what Apple just cried foul on with Samsung.

I have no doubt that this will be appealed and we'll start this process all over. What I do find interesting however, is there was another Samsung vs. Apple trial yesterday that came to a close, and that was in South Korea. The judge there said both Samsung and Apple infringed on each other, they both are ordered to pay damages to each other, and some devices were banned. Other judges such as in Germany and the UK have simply thrown Apple's lawsuits out because they are just that ridiculous, so why can't the US simply toss these cases out? The lawsuits are bullshit and it costs taxpayers money to watch tech giants that should be busy working on new devices and innovating fighting over bullshit things as having a rectangular phone or sliding something on a screen to unlock a phone.

As for the future, what will companies that create Android do? Can they make an octagonal phone to avoid infringing on Apple's almighty ownership over the rectangular phone? The fact remains Android has taken control of the market, and there isn't a damn thing Apple can do other then improve on their own devices, you know, like it should be. When Android first came out it was garbage, but through hard work and incremental improvements, it has become a great mobile OS. Apple can sue all they want, but the market is turning on them at least in the smartphone department. They can't keep releasing the same iPhone in a shiny new case and expect customers to keep coming back. You have your usual Apple fans that will buy every new iPhone, but the regular customer doesn't want to keep paying for the same phone. Not only this but cellular providers are turning away from the iPhones some as well. My company is also a Verizon dealer, and the requirements from Apple for our store just to even sell the iPhone is three pages long worth of what they want in advertising. I think we ended up not selling it, we don't even have it on display out in our show room. Not only this but Apple has subsidized the iPhone so much, that Verizon and other companies are ponying up with Windows Phone 7/8 to make their phones the second choice to Android rather then the iPhone. Apple controls all the profit off the smartphones and cell companies don't get squat.

This isn't about patents that's slowing iPhone sales down, this is about lack of innovation and lack of improvement on the product as well as angering the very cell phone companies that have to sell your phone for you. Add it up and it's clear to see why Apple is nervous about the smartphone market. Samsung has made some great phones as of late, as well as HTC stepping their game up once again. With Google now in control of Motorola, I have no doubt they will be releasing better phones as well. If LG can get their shit together, Apple is staring down a number of companies releasing quality phones with multiple choices. Just taking a look from last night, I have a Thunderbolt with a decently large screen, my mom has an HTC Rhyme which is a smaller 3.5" screen, while my wife had the 4.8" screen of the Samsung Galaxy III. All Android phones, all available through Verizon. My Thunderbolt is an older phone yes, but it's still got a larger better screen then the iPhone and better processing power.

So in the end, is the patent system broken? What are your thoughts on the lawsuit and the findings of the jury? Will this inhibit innovation or will it encourage it?

I agree with you. How fair of a trial could Samsung have gotten? It was in freaking Cupertino, home of Apple HQ. The jury was selected from a community that owes Apple for a large chunk of its livelyhood. The entire case was a joke with a predetermined result. Apple was losing these cases all over the world, so they had to stoop to the hometown jury to get its way, even if its only temporary. Of course Samsung will appeal, and I think they have a strong case for one. I am tired of Apple trying to litigate its competition out of business...its one of the many bullshit business practices Apple employs that guarantees they will never get any of my money. They called Microsoft the evil empire....fuck that, if any tech company is evil, its Apple.

Proudly sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, that I purchased knowing full well it wasn't a fucking iPad.

Meh, I own a 4S, and I love it. But I don't hate Droid. I actually owned a S1 before my 4S.

And I may upgrade to a Droid or iPhone 5s when my contract is up. (who knows)

I have no problem with Apple or Google. I don't like Apple suing everyone for anything and everything, but they aren't nearly the only ones. All the companies do it.

As far as market share goes, iPhone will be number one for years to come. It's ingrained into people's head that it is the definitive smart phone. It has it's pros and cons..as do all phones, I think the simplicity of it is what draws people to it. It limits itself on multitasking so it never fills the ram up, making it seem to always fun flawlessly. (not the case on droid)

that being said, android rules the OS marketshare due to it having a billion phones out vs the 4 or 5 apple has. (all iphones)

but whatever. neither company is evil. they are just greedy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back