Anti-Christ(ian) in Professional Wrestling

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
Now first and foremost I want this thread to only discuss the use of the opposition of Christianity or to Christ. I do not want storylines that are perhaps atheistic on storylines, such as perhaps Stone Cold's "3:16 Speech". I want storylines that have to do with Anti-Christ, Satanic nature.

Are these storlyines good for professional wrestling. I had a previous thread about how elements of pro-Christianity can make a wrestler heel or face, but can being Anti-Christ make you a face?

The Undertaker has typically portrayed a "Deadman" like character, but at one point he was very closely represented to Satan. He was an obvious heel at this point, but has played on the Phenom as a face. Are there other instances in professional wrestling where a wrestler is able to be a face while representing a character who is opposed to the widespread western world as a Christian world?

So I am asking for two things:

1.) Are Satanic storylines good?
2.) Can wrestlers play face as well as heel Satanic characters?

As for question 1. Satanic Storylines are really no good. I mean, the Undertaker's little run as the super-evil version of himself was just about the worst he ever got. I even preferred him as a biker.

The Undertaker lacks personality on the mic. So when he was his most vocal, he was at his worst. Undertaker is better quiet, as a face, without the religious undertones.

And I am not going to answer the second part, because wrestlers are faces or heels depending on the fans. I can take Marilyn Manson and stick him in a wrestling ring, and people will boo him, until someone beats him near to death using underhanded methods. Then he makes the big fighting comeback and cuts off his opponents appendages with a chainsaw. All of a sudden he is a face. Even if he is a homicidal maniac.

Allow me to start by saying: Wonderful thread Idea.

Okay, now then, to answer your questions:

1. Are Satanic storylines good for wrestling?It all depends on how the storyline are carried out. If for example, someone comes out talking about how Satanism changed their lives for the better, blah, blah, blah, and went on to feud with only Christians in a sort of battle of religous supremacy, then proceeded to lose every feud, then no they aren't. On the other hand, if it's handled like Kevin Sullivans deal in Florida, the answer is yes.

2.Can wrestlers portray face, as well as heel, Satanic gimmicks?- This one's a bit tougher to answer, because about 90% of Americans identify with the Christian church, so they're almost sure to go against a Satanic face. But, if you take a stereotypical face who has slight Satanic undertones (certain tats, aesthetics like that), who openly admits to those affiliations, it could possibly work.

Hope these answers are adequate enough, cause that's all I got right now.

This one's a bit tougher to answer, because about 90% of Americans identify with the Christian church, so they're almost sure to go against a Satanic face.

This statement alone proves what you believe... since you didn't even bother to look up any numbers. 90% is not an accurate number, in fact the number of Christians are rapidly dropping, they are down to 76.5%-78.5%. Actually the fastest growing religion at the moment is Islam. Also many people you ask just reply "Christian" to avoid persecution and stares (kinda like how Americans often claim to be Canadian when traveling abroad).

Personally I feel religion should stay out of wrestling; the business has done fine without it and there is no need to bring it in.

Moving onto "Satanic," are you referring to the Modern Church of Satan? Hmm. Satanists don't believe in Satan, in fact they believe in no deity. They believe in worshiping oneself and indulgence (contrary to most religion's belief in abstinence). One of their rules is that you let no one stand in your way and if anyone does you destroy them (to be interpreted; not literally kill them), another is that they are against hurting yourself or anyone else, they are against drug usage once it becomes compulsion, they are against animal/human sacrifice, etc. I'm guessing you are thinking about their rituals like "Black Masses," most of the rituals Satanism contains are made just to mock Christianity, they aren't taken seriously and are only used for shock value. Now there are militant, crazier sects but most are very small and little is known about what they really do - also they are not actually affiliated with the larger organization (although "organized" is a hard description for it since most Satanists are against going to any sort of congregation because...well how can you worship yourself with other people?) The truth is...Satanists aren't evil, they're just egoists and past that most are just fat nerds that live and breath death-metal (nothing against metal but it's for the look, they tend to kinda look like Metalocalypse members lol).

By bringing any of their religious material into wrestling (past our knowing that HBK and Sting are born again) is needless. Religion should be personal and kept to yourself.

This statement alone proves what you believe... since you didn't even bother to look up any numbers. 90% is not an accurate number, in fact the number of Christians are rapidly dropping, they are down to 76.5%-78.5%. Actually the fastest growing religion at the moment is Islam.

Personally I feel religion should stay out of wrestling; the business has done fine without it and there is no need to bring it in.

Moving onto "Satanic," are you referring to the Modern Church of Satan? Hmm. Satanists don't believe in Satan, in fact they believe in no deity. They believe in worshiping oneself and indulgence (contrary to most religion's belief in abstinence). One of their rules is that you let no one stand in your way and if anyone does you destroy them (to be interpreted; not literally kill them), another is that they are against hurting yourself or anyone else, they are against drug usage once it becomes compulsion, they are against animal/human sacrifice, etc. I'm guessing you are thinking about their rituals like "Black Masses," most of the rituals Satanism contains are made just to mock Christianity, they aren't taken seriously and are only used for shock value. Now there are militant, crazier sects but most are very small and little is known about what they really do - also they are not actually affiliated with the larger organization (although "organized" is a hard description for it since most Satanists are against going to any sort of congregation because...well how can you worship yourself with other people?) The truth is...Satanists aren't evil, they're just egoists and past that most are just fat nerds that live and breath death-metal (nothing against metal but it's for the look, they tend to kinda look like Metalocalypse members lol).

By bringing any of their religious material into wrestling (past our knowing that HBK and Sting are born again) is needless. Religion should be personal and kept to yourself.

You are absolutely right on most of this, save for two possible points.

When you said my post showed my beliefs, based on my numbers, I can only presume you meant the Christian religion. Allow me to admit: I was working on old numbers, although I didn't realize it had dropped that much. I was born and raised by a traditional Catholic family, and I do still harbor those tendancies. But, and this is important, I personally identify more with paganism than I do the Church, and I get no information from the Vatican, or any other Christian-based organization.

The other point was the usage of the word Satanism. I didn't mean the Modern Church soley, I was just generalizing them, with the nutjobs, and am big enough to acknowledge my mistake there, and to admit I should have been more clear.

Other than those two points, you were spot on. Hell, I'm a metal-head, and I'll even say these guys give the rest of us a bad name!

It's no different than having a leprechaun hide under the ring, except I am more inclined to believe that's real than all the bs your talking about.

Well, its fine to have dark or occult storylines, it just doesn't need a formal religious background. It doesn't have to be God vs. Satan, it can just remain face vs heel as it's been this entire time. Besides that it's too presumptuous about religion, I mean by only embracing the Christian mythology they would be singling out anyone that believed anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back