Alberto Del Rio- Is his time almost up?

The_Irish_Warrior

Dark Match Winner
Alberto Del Rio/ Dos Caras Jr. what ever you want to call him, we all know who he is.. he has been ever present in the WWE main event since his debut in August of 2010. We have seen him feud with Rey Mysterio, Edge, CM Punk.. we have seen him win the royal rumble and money in the bank and become a two time WWE Champion.

But recently he suffered an injury that pulled him from a high profile match against Sheamus at Now Way Out.. after only being back a couple of months since his last groin injury which kept him out for a number of months. So my question to you is do you think the WWE or Vince McMahon will soon deem Alberto Del Rio injury prone and get rid of him? It's not something I would like to see happen as I'm a big fan of Del Rio, but enlighten me and everybody else with your views.

I think del rio place is fine. He recently suffered a concussion, nothing to serious by the looks of it. It could of happened to anyone and it just so happened to del rio. McMahon is a fan of him clearly and to let him to achieve all this success in such a short time , I highly doubt they will drop the ball anytime soon with him IMO.

Personally I wouldn't mind or miss him at all.
His persona is all too common.
He is bland, boring, and quite annoying (although the last is a good trait of a heel)
He is basically a Mexican JBL who isn't as over or as talented.
You can't switch him face.... well because he will never get over with the fans even if they cared about him.

No, he'll most likely be in the world title match at MITB. It's just a concussion. He isn't half as injury prone as some other stars that still got main event pushes. He's gonna be in WWE for a while, so quit worrying.

I dont understand why I am the only person on this forum who seems to like DelRio. He is a good Heel and his armbar is a good submission move.
The Concussion is a coincidence and is slightly untimely. But he should be in the same position when he returns.

I personally popped when he returned from his former injury, and I didnt expect to do so.

Vince McMahon would be a fool to let Alberto Del Rio go because he is such a great heel character and he has a lot of potential, so he has suffered a Groin injury and only just come back from that but you cant help it if you accidentally do a move wrong and get a concussion.

I like Del Rio, but he does seem injury prone. Plus, he's put a couple of people on the injury list as well (Mysterio, others). It's a gamble having him in the E, but at the end of the day, I think they should keep him. He's a top heel on Smackdown, and he's a pretty gifted athlete.

Del Rio's injuries just remind us of another injury prone constant main eventer: Dave Batista...only problem is Batista was actually over with the crowd on account of having something called "charisma" (and being 6'6" and 300lbs of steroids helped too)

That said: the WWE should give Del Rio 3-4 months off just to revamp his character...let everyone forget about him, forget destiny, forget everything...have him add a quick-strike finisher for pin falls so he can be credible against people who don't tap...and go from there.

Maybe try turning him face...or at least give him something with more depth to work with on his return...quickest way to turn someone face is have him attack a heel that no one likes...

if Johnny Ace is still around, have Del Rio feud with Ace, the story can be simple, Ace accuses Del Rio of faking the injuries to get paid without working, so when he returns, he promises to make ADR's life hell...

have ADR and Rodriguez play a two-man comedy line against it...think like DX when HHH and HBK tormented Vince and Shane in 2005-06.

At worst, Del Rio doesn't get over and turns heel again on the fairly over as a comedy face Rodriguez, at best Del Rio finds his niche in the upper midcard as a face who's still serious enough to be a threat

I really like Del Rio. He is an awesome heel that can draw heat. Del Rio is more entertaining then most guys on the roster. I think he is a great wrestler. I loved his feud with Punk last year, I was sad to see it done. Im also a big fan of Ricardo Rodriguez. I hope they dont go anytime soon.

The concussion is a fluke thing that can easily happen to anyone. If this was ten five or ten years ago Del Rio probably wouldn't have missed any time at all. With all the talk of concussions in the NFL, not to mention Benoit, everyone is being extra cautious these days. ADR will be back in his usual role before you know it.

Does anyone think its weird that everytime he gets near a championship he gets injured? I personally dont like him as a heavyweight champion i think he is midcard at best much how i thought the JBL character sucked as champ but i loved the bradshaw character. Should of taken a James Storm kind of turn and become champ that way instead of completely blowing off the bradshaw character as a whole...

No, Del Rio is fine. He's not going anywhere. WWE found a suitable filler for him in Dolph Ziggler. If anything, this injury is going to add to his storyline with Sheamus. It could lengthen the storyline and force creative to make in interesting. Mark my words, this is a blessing in disguise.

I think ADR will return back to his same position. It's not his fault Sheamus injured him.

As far as if I want to see him back in the ME, i'm undecided. He's a good wrestler and has transitioned from the Mexico style to WWE style almost flawlessly. I like the idea of his character the whole Mexican aristocrat even if it's just a clone of JBL. The only problem I have is the character is getting very one dimensional and stale. He needs to add more to it then yelling destiny and coming out with fancy cars. I don't know if that's a creative problem or what but it needs a good refresh. Also I think he's mediocre at best on the mic. I think why JBL's character worked so well was because of his Mic abilities. If you compare the heat JBl got to what ADR gets you'll see him wanting.

The company surely doesn't want to get rid of him, but whether he'll ever become a top attraction is in doubt. WWE recognizes how good this guy is and wants him to make it big, yet at some point may conclude that pro wrestling has changed too much to accommodate a performer like ADR.

In the 50's and 60's, viewers would have loved this guy. He's an old-style villain, knows how to carry a match and mess (kayfabe) with the mind of his opponent. The problem is that today's wrestling "fans" don't have the patience to watch two people work a match; they want some quick, high impact moves, gaudy pyrotechnics......and then move on to the next match.

I suggest that those of us who like old-fashioned mano-a-mano wrestling matches will appreciate Alberto Del Rio. The folks who want a match that tells a story will appreciate what he brings to the table.

Whether there are enough of us.....and how long WWE is willing to give it.....will determine whether his time is almost up or not.

My problem with Del Rio is that aside from having him come out in a different expensive car every week, there really is nothing to his gimmick.

Why is he not throwing his money around to get what he wants? Hiring mercenaries to win him matches, attempting to bribe officials, referees and wrestlers, paying for air time to promote himself etc.

There is little doubt that he can wrestle but he has been let down by the sheer lack of any depth to his character, which amounts to little more than cars, Ricardo Rodriguez and formerly "destiny." He will not be gotten rid of but if Creative want him to be in any way accepted in the upper echelons of the card, they need to give him something interesting/engaging to say or do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back