Abyss Returns; Say Hello to "Mr. Joseph Park, Esquire"

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
For anyone who didn't realize it or hadn't a clue, the man shown in the backstage segments asking to speak to TNA officials, and interacting with Velvet Sky, Crimson and Matt Morgan was none other than The Monster himself — Abyss, otherwise known as Chris Park.

IMG_0089.jpg

He identified himself as Mr. Joseph Park, Esquire, Abyss' "brother", and was seen asking Velvet, Crimson and Morgan if they'd seen Chris lately or knew anything about his disappearance.

I have no idea what this gimmick is setting up to be, but he was wearing glasses, a full suit and was sporting a brand new short haircut, so it seems the fan-desired long-awaited total repackage is underway!

--

http://www.impactwrestling.com/news...rches-For-His-Brother-Abyss-Have-You-Seen-Him

Joseph Park has requested that anyone with information regarding his brother Abyss (Chris Park) to please send him a message on Twitter @Josephpark_esq

Mr. Park stated he will post updates as information becomes available on the search for his brother, Abyss.

--

Thoughts on this?

I creamed all over the Live Discussion. Up until the main event I was still posting about it and it became the only thing I cared about during the show. I thought it was him, he had the size and stature and the first thing I thought when he was speaking with Crimson and Morgan was, "How did they find someone who looks this similar to Abyss?" And then it hit me, it was Abyss.

I was skeptical throughout though because I've always known "Joseph Parks" as Chris Parks, but it must be some TNA angle, one that I'm willing to go with because he looked bad ass in that suit. Looked like he went all corporate and shit.

Great move by TNA to finally re-develop the Abyss character. "The Monster" has ran his course, they've done everything they could with him and he'd became boring and forgettable. This is something which has brought interest back to the man, no matter whether his name is Joseph, Chris or Abyss. He looked sharp and I'm excited to see where they are heading with this. Good move by TNA.

Definitely an interesting development in the storyline. You had to figure they were going to continue the "where is Abyss?" thing for at least a few weeks. Would have been hard to see it going this way, though. Having Abyss himself clean up and play his own brother...... interesting at least.

Who knows where the story will go from here, but I'm definitely looking forward to the next developments.

I'm with Dragon on this throughout the whole Impact I was flipping and couldnt stop thinking about it and was Absoultey Fascinated by the whole thing was my favorite thing about the whole show. I'm not as down on the Abyss character as others but think this new change could be awesome and really rejuvenate him. He looked awesome and I'm Very excited to see how this plays out.

I didn't watch Impact tonight but .. that's Abyss? Shit, it's amazing what a haircut can do to you. Anyway, I'm not sure I like this, but I haven't seen it yet so I'll reserve judgement. Off to the illegal download sites!

This actually makes me want to watch the progression of this, hopefully it doesn't pull a Samoa Joe kidnapping and never coalesce.

Abyss' gimmick was pretty much run to the ground, he had a good run, going from a monster, to a crazy, to they's bitch, and back and forth, both face/heel, I think this has a good chance to show us Chris Parks the person, as opposed to Abyss, but I do have a suspicion we'll see Chris with a mask on at least a couple more times though, I can't see them having him completely written off without an appearance.

I Knew it was abyss by his voice.. i was at the table with my back turned to the tv getting me something to eat and i heard his voice and i said to myself "cool abyss is back" and when i turned around and i seen this guy in a suit and i looked at him and imagined him with the mask and within 5 secs i knew it was abyss.

Good, GOOOOOOOOD! I like this a lot. This makes me wanna watch Impact and see where this is going. I've heard a lot about Lagana and I see this could be one of own personal take on something he might've been wanting to do since day 1 in TNA. I maybe wrong on that.

Looking at Parks, I think there is something glorious that can be done here. It seems his character might take a more charismatic, talkative side which I'm all up for. He is someone whose character has been revolving around the mask for so long that they had to give him an WWE HOF ring and then pull his front teeth out goddamit!

Intrigued people.

its good to see them do something different with abyss for awhile let him develop his promo skills and acting skills more he is allready great in the ring

at first i was like "no way this is Abyss theres no scars on his forehead and this guy has his two front teeth abyss doesnt" but then i listned to him talk and looked closer and realized that he was indeed back ive always been a fan of abyss i was really hoping he would come back with james mitchell but this could be intersting to see where it goes.

I hated it. Anytime they ever tried "humanizing" Abyss it's always been for the worse.
They are not humanizing Abyss. It's just about himself trying to know where "Abyss" as a character and as a part of him is.

I think this storyline will lead up to Joseph Parks realizing that he is Abyss and Abyss isn't his brother.

Could be a good story, looking up to see it.

Nobody else was fooled into thinking it was Penn Jillette for a few seconds? I can also see Abyss pretending to be his own twin brother to see why nobody has bothered to come and search for him since he was missing for so long.

Nobody else was fooled into thinking it was Penn Jillette for a few seconds? I can also see Abyss pretending to be his own twin brother to see why nobody has bothered to come and search for him since he was missing for so long.

From the back it looked like him. Then he started talking and I was intrigued. I like it that Abyss looks normal, and doesn't have the monster role anymore. I like it that he got a haircut, and that he fixed his teeth.

I've always loved Abyss. He was one of the reasons I started watching TNA, and will continue to be one of the only reasons I'll ever watch it.

Good on ya, head of creative. Finally, a kick of much needed vitality into a stale character. Chris Park(s?) is like the Undertaker of TNA, and has the ability to adapt and change his character when needed.
I'm really excited about this.

Reactions: IHW
My worry is they're going to do some kind of split personality thing, keep both characters going with each personality not realizing they are the same person.

The new Joseph Parks storyline will be walking a tightrope; it can be really cool, but one misstep can send it spiralling into a huge, steaming pile of crap...

I think they might give him a schizophrenic type of gimmick similar to Mick Foleys 3 faces. It would make sense because Abyss has always played the unstable crazy persona. I dont think we have seen the end of Abyss.

I thought the guy looked familar but I didn't recognize him at first. I thought it was some guy another "network" character or maybe a new GM. Abyss looked like that comedian Penn from the comic duo Penn and Teller.

http://www.all-about-magicians.com/images/pennprofile.jpg

I'm for the angle, I think Abyss is a tremendous promo guy and a great agile power guy and his hardcore matches are pretty brutal.

Given how similar he was to Kane and Mankind (circa late 90s) I always held a low opinion of the Monster Abyss character. He felt to me like a bad ripoff, even when he did disturbingly cool things. And I considered Janus to be one of the stupidest foreign objects ever introduced into pro-wrestling given how impractical it is to use (in my humble opinion the worst was Terry Funk's chainsaw, but that's another discussion).

Anyway, I agree with one of the previous posts that he sounded like himself and of course the body size and typeis another giveaway. Then again, siblings often look and sound alike so they can get away with him playing his own brother, least of all since with the mask we never did get a good look at his face.

I also think its a good storyline beginning and I hope it goes to a good resolution. I'm thinking maybe a match or two between Abyss's "brother" and whomever was declared responsible for the Monster's disappearence.

This is the type of thing that was a long time coming! Abyss/Chris Parks definitly needed a huge facelift as a character. I wouldn't have a problem if Abyss would be away forever to pave the way for "Joseph" Parks. I like the idea of a crazy big man in a suit causing havoc. Maybe they could use him like some sort of preacher.

This was IMO was the only interesting part of Impact last night. It took a minute for me to realize it was Abyss, but hearing him speak and seeing that his build was right, I knew it was him. His look is completely opposite of his Abyss persona, which to me might be a great change for "Joseph Parks". Immediately, I thought he reminded me of Penn from Penn and Teller. It's amazing how getting a haircut and wearing a suit makes him look somewhat normal(as normal as you can be for a fairly large guy).

I'm hoping this will inspire TNA to finally do something will him. Perhaps doing an intellectual type of gimmick would be an intriguing change for him. Hell, maybe even replacing Sting as "GM" of Impact would be cool. Either way, between the way he left and is now being repackaged, he's one of the good things going currently in TNA.

Abyss must be having serious problems. He found some razor wire but instead of cutting himself with it he used it to shave and cut his hair. The suit was pretty nice though. This angle could either be really interesting, really stupid, or really, really stupid. Guess we'll see.

This was IMO was the only interesting part of Impact last night. It took a minute for me to realize it was Abyss, but hearing him speak and seeing that his build was right, I knew it was him. His look is completely opposite of his Abyss persona, which to me might be a great change for "Joseph Parks". Immediately, I thought he reminded me of Penn from Penn and Teller. It's amazing how getting a haircut and wearing a suit makes him look somewhat normal(as normal as you can be for a fairly large guy).

I'm hoping this will inspire TNA to finally do something will him. Perhaps doing an intellectual type of gimmick would be an intriguing change for him. Hell, maybe even replacing Sting as "GM" of Impact would be cool. Either way, between the way he left and is now being repackaged, he's one of the good things going currently in TNA.

Joseph Parks as GM would be quite intriguing. I wonder how they could use him, maybe play him in a fine line between heel and face maybe? I think he still looks intimidating in a suit like this. Like he has respected exteriors but there's bad things brewing underneath like an evil preacher.

Like many this completely captured my imagination. I was pretty sure it was him but the difference is simply remarkable. Parks has talent but his character was damaged goods at this point. I am certainly interested to see where this goes. No matter how it plays it I like that they found something that is fairly unique.

I see a lot of good theorys in this thread but I was thinking, how do we know that Chris Parks doesn't have a twin brother in real life and this really isn't abyss at all but his real life brother.
imagine this: joe finds out who is responsible and starts fueding with them, after a couple months they have a big match on a ppv and joe winds up getting double or triple teamed in the ring when all of a sudden abyss runs out to make the save.
it would totally blow everybodys mind and tna would have a brand new tag team.
I know its not likely but it would be pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back