A few questions about finishing moves

Cookie14

Smart-Ass
I've seen lots of threads on here about good/bad finishers, or who needs a new finisher etc. In fact, I was reading the thread about CM Punk needing a new finisher when I thought of a few questions, and I thought you guys might be able to provide answers.

Why do some wrestlers change finishers so often?

HHH has used the Pedigree for his entire WWE career, same with Cena and the AA. During the same ammount ot time, Big Show has used the chokeslam, alley-up powerbomb, collossol clutch, knockout punch, spear and a few others I can't remember. Edge has had several finishers, so has Jericho. They all seemed to fit well with their original finishers, so why change them?

Why does each 'generation' of wrestler seem to utilise similar finishers?

Look at wrestling throughout fairly recent history and you will find lots of people using very similar finishing moves.

2009-Present - David Otunga, Ezekiel Jackson and now Mason Ryan all have that modified side slam.

2005-2009 - Batista, JBL, Swagger, Lashley, Undertaker and others used variations of a powerbomb.

2002-2005 - Not a particular move for this time period, but during this time submission finishers were all the rage. Angle, Beniot, Jericho, Flair, Steiner, hell, even the Rock would regularly use the sharpshooter during this time to win matches!

1999-2002 - Undertaker, Kane, Big Show, among others all used the chokeslam.

So, over to you.....

Not going to lie, one piece from the bottom of this post bothered me to pieces. It was an interesting topic and all, but the detail in that one post was ridiculous.

2002-2005 - Not a particular move for this time period, but during this time submission finishers were all the rage. Angle, Beniot, Jericho, Flair, Steiner, hell, even the Rock would regularly use the sharpshooter during this time to win matches!

During this time submissions were all the rage? Every superstar you named had been doing their signature submissions since the mid to late 90's. Flair and maybe even Steiner longer. To say this period was the submission finisher stage really upset me, lol. Just one of my instinctual ticks, that gets me mad about that stuff.

Anyway, I would say many superstars change their finishers because they need to keep if fresh and bring new things to the table. People like Triple H, Shawn Michaels and John Cena all had finishers before they claimed their current ones. But the main reason they stick to them is because everyone knows what's coming. They're huge stars and that is their move. For them it's better to add a new move to the arsenal (i.e STFU, Modified Figure Four) because everyone knows what the match ender is. It helps make that superstars match, when they get the crowd pumped for their big signature. Same thing for someone like Rey Mysterio, he always keeps the 619 because that's his most popular move, and everyone knows it, but he adds a twist like a frog splash, leg drop, seated senton, etc. As for people like Jericho, he has always used the walls, but he adapted the code breaker as a new move during a comeback. He still uses the walls, liontamer and lionsault on a regular basis. Again just adding a new move to the arsenal.

People like The Miz, who's had probably 3 or 4 finishers in the WWE, changed so much because they could. Their match finisher wasn't encrusted in everyone's mind because they hadn't made it a big impact move in the main event scene yet. They have a flexible move set. Everyone see's Miz and knows his signature is the Skull Crushing Finale now. That's because he's champion and we see him making waves every week on RAW. But I bet half of you don't remember when he used to use a swinging neck breaker as a finisher. No not the reality check, a swinging neck breaker. He also used a snap DDT a few times, but not many remember that.

So when it all comes down to it, it's how flexible your move set is, and how popular you've become in my eyes. Changing your move set too much while in the big spotlight confuses the audience on how you're winning the match, or what big move they should be looking for. While you're still green, you have time to figure out what finisher best fits the wrestler.

The finishing move is an extension of the character, when used right a finishing move can actually get someone over or further their popularity. For example, I think Stone Cold wouldn't have been as over as he was if his finisher were the figure four leg lock. The stunner was part of who he was.

Or even anytime during a promo against a heel where Shawn Michaels would just step back and blast someone with sweet chin music. The reason why some guys go through finisher after finisher is because they need one that feels natural to their character.

The case of Jericho changing was he was coming back from a break and I don't think he wanted to play the same exact character he had been, he wanted to add something new.

I just think that its funny how the Outward Slam that Cena uses before the 5.K.S , was actually his 1st finisher. Also how the Walls of Jericho is just a move to Chris now because no one taps out to it anymore. And how many damn times will Big Show change his finisher.

To me, yes I am getting sick of those slams, but hey look at all the other superstars:
Rey Mysterio-619
Evan Bourne-Air Bourne
Randy Orton-RKO/Punt
Sheamus-Brouge Kick/High Cross
Wade Barrett-Wasteland
The Miz-Skull Crushing Finale
Edge-Spear
Dolph Ziggler-ZigZag/Sleeperhold

These are only a few superstars off the top of my head that i can think of there are plenty more superstars that use their finisher and stick with it. You can't say one generation uses the same moves because they don't. Sure thats the most commonly used finisher by 3 or 4 guys but look at everyone else, they have their own thing going

When people change up finishers it's generally because:

A.) The finisher sucked
B.) It some how didn't fit their character
C.) It was too dangerous to pull off / or botched a lot

As for people utilizing similar finishers, its because there aren't enough moves for everyone to have a unique move. Also some moves, such as the DDT could be good finishers, but other stars use them as a regular move so it doesn't seem as prestigious. Thats why different variations are used.

On a side note, I don't think Lashley used a power bomb, he used the dominator.

I loved scott steiners Frankensteiner! It was awesome that a guy that weight 260 could do that! So Explosive! I agree the signature moves should be adjusted to the character! Like Undertaker's last ride, when he played the Biker Character, and now the tombstone piledriver when he came back to Undertaker. Or Sting when he used the scorpion death lock/ sharpshooter, then when he went black and white, used the other finishing move. How about Val Venis's The Money Shoot? lol so funny

It seems to be, more often than not, one of two causes. Either a gimmick change, or an abortion.

Big Show has had a half-dozen finishers, because each goes with a different era of his gimmick. The Chokeslam is the generic 'big guy' finish. The Punch fit his "i was training to be a boxer" schtick. The clutch was his monster heel move. Each served his gimmick at the time. Meanwhile, a guy like Cena never really changed his gimmick, so he never changed his move.

The alternate is a guy like Miz, or Morrison. When was the last time I saw Morrison's flipping neckbreaker. Or a reality check? The moves didn't "work" so they were replaced.

Ones that get me, are like Haitch's Pedigree. The move is timeless, but the name relates to his blueblood gimmick. That makes it ironic when he kept it as a Degenerate, and...well now its iconic.

As for the part about guys with similar moves, that's becasue they're all the same style. As the OP noted, every 'big guy' threw down a chokeslam. But the technical guys use submissions. Big guys use powerhouses use bombs and spinebusters. Flippy guys use....flippy moves. It just so happens that the WWF/E like to push a certain type of wrestler in groups.

Ziggler is one of my favorite guys to watch, but I think the ZigZag is crap. Its fast but it looks lame otherwise. Its hard to argue a lot of guys use the powerbomb, but the ones mentioned had all tweaked there's enough so it was unique. I really wish Undertaker would have finished HBK off with Last Ride on Michael's last match. Burying his career and such... too easy I guess. It was his last chance to seriously hurt Shawn Michaels back. Show everybody once and for all that Undertaker is a rude dude.

I've seen lots of threads on here about good/bad finishers, or who needs a new finisher etc. In fact, I was reading the thread about CM Punk needing a new finisher when I thought of a few questions, and I thought you guys might be able to provide answers.

Why do some wrestlers change finishers so often?

HHH has used the Pedigree for his entire WWE career, same with Cena and the AA. During the same ammount ot time, Big Show has used the chokeslam, alley-up powerbomb, collossol clutch, knockout punch, spear and a few others I can't remember. Edge has had several finishers, so has Jericho. They all seemed to fit well with their original finishers, so why change them?

Why does each 'generation' of wrestler seem to utilise similar finishers?

Look at wrestling throughout fairly recent history and you will find lots of people using very similar finishing moves.

2009-Present - David Otunga, Ezekiel Jackson and now Mason Ryan all have that modified side slam.

2005-2009 - Batista, JBL, Swagger, Lashley, Undertaker and others used variations of a powerbomb.

1999-2002 - Undertaker, Kane, Big Show, among others all used the chokeslam.

So, over to you.....

First, Jericho has had two finishers, one's a submission, one's an impact move, two totally different things.

Submissions aren't anything new, they are a great move for someone like Flair or Jericho who aren't super impressive physically, for a juiced guy like Steiner or Benoit b/c it looks like they are ripping your limbs apart, or someone like Angle with an amateur wrestling or MMA background.

I personally like multiple finishers for wrestlers, as long as they are built up properly. I love when someone has a big match finisher, something they bust out when they have tried their regular finisher and it failed. The problem I have with a lot of wrestling I watch lately is that most of the highly touted matches, such as Undertaker/HBK, or some of the "five star" matches in ROH, or anything with Kurt Angle, involve two guys just hitting each other with finishers or going for finishers for like 30-60 minutes. It's boring. I think kicking out of a finisher should be a big deal, much like when someone kicks out of a Pedigree. It's so few and far between it really shocks you. The RKO is a cool finish but he has to go for it about 15 times before he finally hits it. The ankle lock is the same way, Angle puts it on at least 5 times a match before someone taps. It's lame. That's where multiple finishers should come in. RKO not working? Orton should have something else to hit. Angle should have more submissions than one (maybe one that targets an area of the body he actually works during the match, instead of the leg which he never touches except to ankle lock) if he's such a badass shooter.

A lot of times guys change their finisher because it fits their gimmick or gimmick change at the time. Big Show had come to the WWE off of boxing training & his match with Money Mayweather so he added the punch to fit his gimmick. Jericho had just learned the Codebreaker from Lance Storm & added to fit with his return even though I hated it just as I hate the GTS as it can look real weak at times.

Another thing is sometimes wrestlers know their finisher sucks or it's too bland to remember. The miz had a neckbreaker at first, a spinning neckbreaker second like Cody Rhodes current finisher & it was a case of a move not being over. The SCF is a move that is over & out of the mind of WWE fans for a few years as it was Double J's old WWE & current TNA finisher. We wait all match for the ending & guys wanting to come up with a good ending.

Sometimes the change comes with age or move safety. Like when piledrivers were banned in he WWE & Undertaker used a powerbomb.

As far as Era of finishers, I just think guys are not original so they steal moves or key word, modify moves. I mean that is usually the case when you see guys using the same moves, it just hard to come up with a good finisher that hasn't been done before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back