Live vs Muse

• Live

• Muse

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

3rd Round 90's / 00's Region Match

#9 Live vs #41 Muse

Please take into account the entire body of work of the artists, their mark on the music industry and/or society as a whole, their influence on other artists, lyrics, music, etc. If you have not already done so, please review the rules of the tournament and the Wrestlezone Forums. Have fun!

Come on, people! MUSE? You cannot really let one of the greatest and deepest bands of the 1990's lose to MUSE, can you?

Let me be clear. I respect Muse's work, especially in the UK, and they deserve to be in this tournament. In fact, they deserve to have made it this far - but no farther. It has to end here, and Live has to advance, for the love of great music.

Look at the discographies:

Live
Mental Jewelry 1x Platinum US
Throwing Copper 8x Platinum US
Secret Samadhi 2x Platinum US
The Distance to Here 1x Platinum US

Muse
Showbiz 1x Platinum UK
Origin of Symmetry 1x Platinum UK
Absolution 2x Platinum UK
Black Holes & Revelations 2x Platinum UK

That list takes into account ALL of Muse's 4 Studio Albums, but only half of Live's. Live also had 3 #1 Singles in the US, whereas Muse has had 0 in the UK. In fact, Muse only had 2 top 10's in the UK.

And finally, nothing Muse did can compete with Throwing Copper - the BEST ALBUM OF THE 90's ALONG WITH OZZY'S NO MORE TEARS! I cannot say it enough, people. Throwing Copper was a compilation of emotion. It was a beautiful composition of rock songs, alternative, ballads, etc and contained so many hits. Iris, Lightning Crashes, White Discussion, I Alone, Selling the Drama...

If Live loses to STP in the next round (provided STP gets past Pantera, of course) I could come to terms with it. But Live is better than Muse, and there are few reasons to vote otherwise. That is not a knock on Muse, but they are not yet in Live's league.

I actually voted Muse on accident. I meant to vote Live, but clicked the wrong button. I do like both bands though. Live just has better music in my opinion, and as good as Muse is, I think Live should go over.

I actually voted Muse on accident. I meant to vote Live, but clicked the wrong button. I do like both bands though. Live just has better music in my opinion, and as good as Muse is, I think Live should go over.

Given this error, the score is currently tied 5-5. I'd be cool if this ends in a tie. Thank you for letting us know that, HBP, and proclaiming your vote.

Woah woah woah woah WOAH!

Come on, people! MUSE? You cannot really let one of the most average and generic bands of the 1990's beat MUSE, can you?

Now lets not put too much emphasis on sales and chart positions, we all know that thats not important.
What is important is headlining festivals, selling out new Wembley. Live do not have nowhere near as much critical acclaim as Muse.
I'm talking about Brits, Q, NME and MTV awards, including no less than 16 for their live performances.

Here's just two examples.
Starlight at Rock in Rio, Lisbon.
[youtube]FN8TTbwQnBs[/youtube]
Stockholm Syndrome at Wembley.
[youtube]ecIHYIeSRO0[/youtube]

You cannot really let one of the most average and generic bands of the 1990's beat MUSE, can you?

Live was FAR from generic or average. They came up with strong lyrics, albums that were different, songs with variety, powerful messages, and stunning harmonies. The songs created such a powerful visual image it was amazing. Lightning crashes = perfect example.

Now lets not put too much emphasis on sales and chart positions, we all know that thats not important.

Right, of course not. Any good business person knows that sales mean shit. Just like drawing power means shit to whether or not a wrestler is good or not. After all, the bands are not trying to sell albums or make money or create hits that top the charts. ARE YOU KIDDING ME, MATADOR!? HOW THE HELL CAN YOU JUSTIFY IGNORING SALES AND CHART POSITIONS!?

What is important is headlining festivals, selling out new Wembley. Live do not have nowhere near as much critical acclaim as Muse.

WITHOUT THE HITS ON THE ALBUMS, THESE BANDS DON'T GET TO HEADLINE "FESTIVALS!" PLEASE tell me you are joking here. Headlining a festival is more important than selling albums or recording hits!? Selling out Wembley is impressive - Live has sold out far MORE venues in the last 20 years all across the US.

Matador, this post makes me feel concern for you. You cannot justify Muse over Live at all. There is no comparison. Again, I like Muse, but they are NOT IN LIVE'S LEAGUE.

Live was FAR from generic or average. They came up with strong lyrics, albums that were different, songs with variety, powerful messages, and stunning harmonies. The songs created such a powerful visual image it was amazing. Lightning crashes = perfect example.

COME ON IC25! COME ON! Live IS generic. How can you deny this? They sound EXACTLY LIKE a dozen other bands who were around the same time, some around even longer. Soul Asylum? Candlebox? Collective Soul? Live? They're all the same exact thing musically, with little to no variation.

Right, of course not. Any good business person knows that sales mean shit. Just like drawing power means shit to whether or not a wrestler is good or not. After all, the bands are not trying to sell albums or make money or create hits that top the charts. ARE YOU KIDDING ME, MATADOR!? HOW THE HELL CAN YOU JUSTIFY IGNORING SALES AND CHART POSITIONS!?

Because this is a music tournament isn't it? Not a record sales and chart positions tournament? The quality and effect of the music on the world is what's important here, and while Live were very popular for a short period of time, they've drifted off into total nobodys at this point. Muse I'm not a huge fan of either, but I respect their music and creativity more then Live's any day of the week.

WITHOUT THE HITS ON THE ALBUMS, THESE BANDS DON'T GET TO HEADLINE "FESTIVALS!" PLEASE tell me you are joking here. Headlining a festival is more important than selling albums or recording hits!? Selling out Wembley is impressive - Live has sold out far MORE venues in the last 20 years all across the US.

Again, I don't think headlining festivals is very important in this conversation either. It's the music we're arguing about here.

Matador, this post makes me feel concern for you. You cannot justify Muse over Live at all. There is no comparison. Again, I like Muse, but they are NOT IN LIVE'S LEAGUE.

IC25, you really really REALLY like Live. I get it. But they are not NEARLY as prestigious our critically acclaimed as you seem to think. Live has it's own league now? Hardly. Live is a band that, for the most part, is dismissed by most music fans as typical 90s alt-rock fodder with little to no replay value aside from the couple hit songs. They are not this legendary band you seem to think they are. Muse is still a very new band, so I wouldn't discredit someone for voting for Live here, but I went with Muse. I respect them more as musicians then I do Live.

But yes, Muse is very much so in Live's "league", considering that "league" is full of countless 90's also-rans and one hit wonders.

Due to HBP's errant vote, the score is currently 9-8 in favor of Muse. I feel strongly that we can rally the troops to support Live and get this tied, or even to an outright Live victory.

Live isn't generic. I can understand the comparison to the more generic 90's bands to an extend, but Live transcended it, especially with Throwing Copper. That album was wraught with such raw emotion and such a varied range of topics and feelings, I truly don't see how anybody can truly understand that album and still call them generic. It's beyond me.

Lightning Crashes is a heartwrenching song about the cycle of life stemming from the death of a friend of Ed K's who was hit by a drunk driver. The slow crescendo tells as much of the story as the lyrics do; it is such a well-constructed, timeless masterpeice.

All Over You is among the most interpreted songs out there. Some feel it is a religious relationship. Many feel it is a song about losing someone you love after a relationship some considered odd or illicit.

White, Discussion condemns anyone who blankly accepts the things the government presents them, and cynically points at the worthlessness and harshness of words vs action.

"T.B.D." does not stand for "To Be Determined," but rather "Tibetan Book of the Dead." The song is about the death of Aldous Huxley, pumped full of LSD, rumored to be dying as his wife read the book aloud. AMAZING story.

Do I need to continue, or will you vote for LIVE?

Dude Xfear is right Live sounds just like every other band that came out at that time, they are nothing more than just another 90s band, there's not much more I could say that he hasn't, Muse is different and shows they have talent, and a least sound a little more original, and maybe it's just me but reading IC25's posts on how Live is one of the greatest bands (Ok I may be exaggerating a bit here, but anyway...) of all time is about as bad as reading any of Free's post about At The Drive In, or fucking Mars Volta, everybody should just do themselves a favor and vote for the band that is a least somewhat original in this one, and vote Muse

Last ditch effort for ONE more vote...the cover of "I Walk the Line." This is not "the" video, but a video showing the making of the redo and a fantastic interview with Eddie afterwards. Watch the entire video - you'll be impressed.

[youtube]9_daJjRrv0A[/youtube]

Vote for LIVE over MUSE.

Holy shit, this one ended in a 10-10 tie. I can't believe Live pulled this one out and advanced, along side Muse. VERY good match, with some sick debate. Nice job, everyone!

Holy shit, this one ended in a 10-10 tie. I can't believe Live pulled this one out and advanced, along side Muse. VERY good match, with some sick debate. Nice job, everyone!

WTF are you talking about, it's 11-9 in favor of Muse, Live didn't pull shit out, I Don't care if somebody fucked up when voting or not, you can't change your vote after it's made, so Muse wins

Justin, don't cry now. HBP posted this immediately after his vote and posted WHY he wanted Live to win. People make mistakes, so both bands advance. Had the score ended 11-9 Live, I would have advanced Muse all the same. Had HBP not posted is mistake and vote, then Live would be out now. It means a Triple Threat Match between STP, Live, and Muse in the next round. You could have brought up your "issue" with HBP's vote three days ago, or any of the countless times I corrected the score in posts. Don't make a thing out of it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back