Creedence Clearwater Revival vs Chuck Berry

• Creedence Clearwater Revival

• Chuck Berry

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

2nd Round 50's / 60's Region Match

#9 Creedence Clearwater Revival vs #24 Chuck Berry

Please take into account the entire body of work of the artists, their mark on the music industry and/or society as a whole, their influence on other artists, lyrics, music, etc. If you have not already done so, please review the rules of the tournament and the Wrestlezone Forums. Have fun! PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU VOTE FOR THE BAND YOU INTEND TO VOTE FOR! MOVING FORWARD, IF YOU CLICK THE WRONG BAND, YOUR VOTE WILL HAVE TO STAND!

I will make this simple. Anyone who votes for Chuck Berry over CCR gets red rep. Period.

CCR is, without a doubt, the one band in HISTORY whose music captured the time in which it occured better than ANY OTHER. No band's music was as socially relevant during that time period in which it occured than CCR's work during and after the Vietnam War. ALL of their music has stood the test of time, from the depth of songs like "Bad Moon Rising" to the scathing indictment of government favoritism in draft-time with "Fortunate Son." Then, they could turn around and write a tripping-on-something song like "Looking Out My Back Door."

CCR should make a lot of noise in this tournament, and I may even back them if they run into the Beatles a few rounds from now.

I think it's unfair to go ahead and bully other posters into voting for CCR, sir!

Don't get me wrong, I like CCR a lot. I actually had the pleasure of meeting John Fogarty a couple years ago while I was working at Fenway. But to discredit Chuck Berry in this matchup would be doing him a major disservice. Not only is he one of the greatest guitarists of all time, but being a rock and roll artist with black skin, I'm sure he encountered plenty of racism throughout that time as well. In his prime, he turned out hit after hit, and he has influenced some of the biggest artists ever (Jerry Garcia, The Who, and Bob Dylan).

Lastly, I'll just let his Wikipedia entry do all the talking. You can't go ahead and give CCR a vote over Chuck Berry.

Chuck Berry is an influential figure and one of the pioneers of rock and roll music. According to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's website, "While no individual can be said to have invented rock and roll, Chuck Berry comes the closest of any single figure to being the one who put all the essential pieces together."[1] Cub Koda wrote, "Of all the early breakthrough rock & roll artists, none is more important to the development of the music than Chuck Berry. He is its greatest songwriter, the main shaper of its instrumental voice, one of its greatest guitarists, and one of its greatest performers."[2] John Lennon was more succinct: "If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'."[3]

Berry was among the first musicians to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on its opening in 1986. He received Kennedy Center Honors in 2000 in a "class" with Mikhail Baryshnikov, Plácido Domingo, Angela Lansbury, and Clint Eastwood. In 2004, Rolling Stone ranked Chuck Berry #5[4] on their list of The Immortals: The First Fifty.[5] He was also ranked 6th on Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time.[6]

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame included three of Chuck Berry's songs (Johnny B. Goode, Maybellene, Rock & Roll Music), of the 500 songs that shaped Rock and Roll.[7]

He is one of the few performers besides Elvis Presley who is sometimes known as the King of Rock and Roll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back