2012 MLB Thread

Well the Tigers did what they had to do, and with some clutch hitting from Cabby swept the Twins for their first 3 game win streak in about a month. The hitting woke up the first 2 games with 16 runs and they squeaked by with just enough today to get Porcello off the hook with a loss that he wouldn't have really deserved. Hopefully Indians closer Chris Perez kinda calling them out after their series this week lights a fire under them and they get on a nice streak and start playing ball that they were playing at the beginning of the season. They're starting to get consistent outings 1-4, with Porcello being hot and cold. JV is still the best pitcher in the game, Scherzer looks much improved since he altered his delivery (24 K's in the last 12 1/3 IP), Fister just gets outs, and Smyly is good when he keeps the ball in the park (which has been his biggest problem).

One guy I do want to talk about is Quintin Berry. A 27 year old rookie, I know it's only been 5 games, but this guy brings a new element to the Tigers lineup that only Jackson really provides: speed. Even then, Jackson isn't nearly as fast or use his legs (via bunting, tagging up) as much as Berry has done in these first 5 games. While he'll surely slow down soon, I hope Leyland recognizes that this kid brings some life into this offense and can get into scoring position from first on his own. I'm not saying he should be an everyday starter, but he surely is a better option than Don Kelly atm, and you couldn't tell me otherwise. I don't expect him to get on at a .400 clip (although I'd love it). However, he could most definitely be used in pinch running and defensive replacement situations and as a 4th OF. Kelly doesn't really provide much and is the 25th man on the roster, so once Jackson comes back Kelly should be shipped down and then you can at least get an extended look at Berry as a part time OF. They have enough bats, they need some D and a guy that can steal some bases. He had 2 alone in this game. You can't tell me that isn't more valuable than an expendable OF that doesn't have much more speed than the guys he'd be replacing. At least ride Berry out until teams start to figure him out, whether that be in 2 weeks or a month, I don't know. Maybe you even struck gold with him. You won't know until you give him some extended innings, and I think he's more than deserved it.

Also, CH, while Konerko has been simply phenomenal so far, he's hitting at an unsustainable rate and will come back to earth soon. His BABIP is .434, ridiculous for even speedier hitters. His wRC+ is 52 points higher than his previous high, and his wOBA is 68 points higher than his previous high. He's still walking and K'ing at about the same rate, but he's not hitting many more LDs this year then previously. I'd expect for him to cool off considerably, although he'll still be a fantastic hitter and really should be worthy of an All Star bid. With Gonzalez and Hosmer struggling, Pujols only now starting to heat up (and he'll begin to post similar career numbers by the ASB, just watch), Teixeira being quite bad, and Fielder being a bit underwhelming (although not bad, one good week in terms of power will get him back to his expected rates) Konerko would be the favorite to start the game. I don't think he'll make it in on the fan vote, but he'll be voted on by the peers. Possibly AJ as well, and maybe Dunn.

Cubs won today!! But as a North side fan, it is very fun to watch the Sox's play. Chris Sale is something else and Konerko is tearing it up.

The injury bug has hit the Tigers a bit lately to some of their key pieces. As you may have known, Austin Jackson, who was hitting like an MVP candidate before he went out, has been out and on the DL since mid-May with an abdominal strain. While it was originally thought he may only miss the minimum 15 days, that minimum was up yesterday and he was still being held back, although he was doing some swinging off a tee. Hopefully he gets healthy and soon because he's been our best position player all season.

Another guy that has gone down is Doug Fister for the second time with the same injury he had that shelved him for a month. This one hurts a little bit more than Jacksons because past Verlander and Scherzer there's a lot of unknowns/uncertainty's with Smyly, Porcello, and the recently debuted Casey Crosby (who has good stuff but really needs to work on his control - it's clear he'll be back in the minors soon because he's really probably at least another season away since he's been shelved with elbow injuries twice so far since being drafted in 07). According to the Tigers head trainer Fister shouldn't be out as long as he was the first time, which is good, but the sooner he's back, the better.

Andy Dirks has also been sidelined these past few days, but he's currently DTD and has pinch hit some. If he were to go on the DL it would be another blow, though.

As for addressing the Tigers that are currently playing, I think a change is coming soon. It's crazy to think that this is still one of the better offensive teams (10th in Runs, 7th in BA, 9th in OBP and SLG) but they still seem to be producing underwhelmingly. That's because they have the worst average with the bases loaded (according to last nights broadcast) and seem to only get Solo HR's and not the big 3 run jacks. Cabrera and Fielder have had good seasons, but still one of their worst seasons as power bats in the pros. Fielder gets a little free pass because he was transitioning to a new league/pitchers and that'll take a month or two of adjustment, but Cabrera needs to get hot and pick up this offense for the next week or so until Jackson comes back to assist him. They're under .500 because they're not getting the big hits when needed and their pitching and hitting aren't on at the same time. I see Dombrowski making a move sometime soon to address the rotation and the 2B problem, but hopefully it isn't too little too late.

cant belive nobody has brought it up but figured this as good as any other place to post it Matt Cain just pitched a perfect game for the Giants tonight first one in Giants history and the 2nd perfect game this season! 14 strikeouts tonight thats pure domination from Cain something cool to watch as MLB network covered the whole game.

We're roughly 40% through the season so I think it's a good time to talk some midseason awards leaders. I'll start with the AL

MVP: Josh Hamilton. He's been surprisingly durable and his crazy 8 HR week helps assist in some of his power numbers, but you don't keep an OPS above 1.000 without sustaining your production. He's still gone through some cold stretches but is performing well in a contract year and is the best player on the best team in the AL. Hard to argue against him.

Cy Young: Justin Verlander. I know it looks like 'HOMER HOMER' alert, but I like JV over Chris Sale for a few reasons. He never goes less than 6 IP. Hasn't done it in 56 starts. His WHIP is slightly lower, he already has 100+ K's, and just has produced more for his team (3.4 WAR to 2.7 of Sale). Sale's been great, but I think he may be capped with an innings limit sometime soon as well.

ROY: Mike Trout. This guy is only 20 and he's arguably the 2nd best hitter on the Angels. That's not an insult to the other Angels but a testament to how good of a hitter he's been. He's got all the potential to be a future multi-MVP candidate. Plays great defense as well.

As for the NL...

MVP: Joey Votto. Matt Kemp was the favorite about a month ago but injuries may have derailed his campaign a bit. It also doesn't help for him that Votto has been on a tear lately and has posted an OPS of 1.133. He's the best player on a division leader and while David Wright and Ryan Braun are posting great seasons as well, Votto has been the best hitter all year.

Cy Young: So many candidates to choose from, I'll throw a dart and say Matt Cain. Throwing a perfecto is a nice addition to his resume, although it was already good looking with a 2.18 ERA and over 9 K/9 in 95 innings. Gio Gonzalez, Zack Greinke, Stephen Strasburg, James McDonald, and R.A. Dickey are all worthy candidates, but Cain has the very slight edge due to pitching more innings than all of them (with almost 15 more than most of them) and having a 2.8 WAR just makes me have him take the cake. Definitely the race I see coming down to the wire all year.

ROY: Lance Lynn. Somewhat out of nowhere, Lynn has been the savior of the Cards rotation with Carpenter out, Wainwright not fully back, and Garcia going down as well. He's also a potential Cy Young candidate, although I think he'll come back to the pack slightly. He's posting a strong K rate and low ERA which makes me take him slightly over Bryce Harper, who's been great but has only played 40ish games to make an impact.

The All-Star rosters were announced yesterday, and while I think for the most part teams got them right, I have a few glaring omissions:

Curtis Granderson over Austin Jackson - There's 4 reasons why Granderson is in over Jackson. 1) He plays in NY so he has a larger audience. 2) The Yankees are leading their division and have played better than the Tigers. 3) He hasn't had a DL stint while Jacksons missed 20ish games. 4) He has more Home runs.

Reason 1 is out of Jacksons control, and much of reason 2 is, since it is a 25 man game not 1. While the DL stint hurts Jackson, he's still played in as many games as Trout who was voted in (and has been nearly as good). The HR is a poor argument as well, as Jackson has still been the better hitter (look at the slash line and sabremetric stats such as wRC+ and wOBA) and has played Gold Glove caliber defense. Only reasons why I see Granderson making it is because he has a reputation and, as I said earlier, plays in NY.

Zack Greinke not making it I know the Brewers have been a bit disappointing, but Greinke's arguably the best pitcher that didn't make it and somewhat got robbed by circumstance with certain teams needing a player on the roster.

Matt Wieters over AJ Pierzynski Wieters had a nice start, but AJ has been quite the surprise and actually has been good offensively this year. As much as I don't like the guy, if you're taking 3 catchers, AJ has to be one of the 3.

So, any snubs for you guys beyond what I mentioned above?

Greinke should have started the All-Star game as far as I'm concerned. I love RA Dickey as much as the next man, and he's pitched damn well this season, but Greinke was just better. Would get my vote for NL Cy Young if the season ended today. Verlander should start on the other end if he can. I assume he can.

I'm somewhat disappointed with the rosters. A lot of blatant snubs, I thought. I get that sometimes you have to make way for the "every team gets a player" thing, but I could have done better. I mean, I get the fans vote in the starters, and most fans are stupid, because most people are stupid, and that is what it is. But some of MLB and the managers selections were piss poor too. I can do better. And in fact, I will. Here's the proper All-Star team for 2012:

AL:

Starting:
C Joe Maeur MIN
1B Paul Konerko CWS
2B Robinson Cano NYY
3B Brett Lawrie TOR (EPIC SNUB)
SS Elvis Andrus TEX (PS Jeter hasn't been a real All-Star since 2009)
OF Mike Trout LAA
OF Josh Hamilton TEX
OF Austin Jackson DET
DH Edwin Encarnacion TOR

Pitchers

SP Justin Verlander DET
SP Chris Sale CWS
SP Jake Peavy CWS (MEGA SNUB)
SP CC Sabathia NYY
SP Felix Hernandez SEA
SP Matt Harrison TEX
SP Jered Weaver LAA
SP Jason Hammel BAL
RP Joe Nathan TEX
RP Fernando Rodney TB
RP Chris Perez CLE
RP Tom Wilhemsen SEA
RP Scott Atchison BOS (Because middle relief is fucking important and he does it well, damn it)

Reserves:
C AJ Pierynski CWS (The Chicago snubbing continues)
C Matt Wieters BAL
SS Asdrubal Cabrera CLE
SS Mike Aviles BOS (Why the fuck does no one talk about Mike Aviles?)
3B Adrian Beltre TEX (Sorry Tron, it was a close call for me on Cabrera)
2B Jason Kipnis CLE (MOST UNFORGIVABLE SNUB)
1B Prince Fielder DET (Could happily substitute Teixeira or Pujols)
OF Adam Jones BAL
OF Alex Gordon KC
OF Josh Reddick OAK
DH David Ortiz BOS
DH Adam Dunn CWS

Oddly enough, I thought that the whole "each team gets a player" thing would come into play and force me to change selections, but it worked out beautifully. Oh, and here's my final vote candidates:

1. OF Jose Bautista TOR (just didn't get in because OF is stacked, would be my final vote pick in this hypothetical world where selections are done sensibly)
2. OF Mark Trumbo LAA (Similar)
3. 3B Miguel Cabrera DET
4. 3B Mike Moustakas KC
5. OF Josh Willingham MIN

For even more funsies, here's my ranking of the actual final vote candidates.

1. SP Jake Peavy, CWS
2. SP Jason Hammel, BAL
3. SP Yu Darvish, TEX
4. RP Ernesto Frieri, LAA
5. RP Jonathan Broxton, KC

Please vote for Peavy. He's one of the best starters in the AL. What's wrong with the people who picked this shit? Peavy is great.

I might repeat this exercise for the NL later.

Giants fans and Tony LaRussa have single handedly tried to fuck the NL.

Panda over Wright?
Posey over Molina AND Chooch?
Melky has had a good year, but in any category except seeing eye singles, Ryan Braun kills him.
Not only those, but Belt almost got voted in over Votto I hear?

As for LaRussa, giving Lance "I've had 1 great month, 1 mediocre month, and 1 horrible month" Lynn a start over Cueto, Vogelson, or, iunno ZACK GREINKE is ******ed and I think he may have dementia.
Second, his grudge with Brandon Phillips is ridiculous. Phillips is probably the best 2B in the NL.

Lynn was a players vote. TLR didn't vote for any Cardinals, and Reds fans being butthurt that Phillips or Cueto weren't taken should recognize that TLR did take Jay Bruce over a much more deserving Matt Holliday or Michael Bourn. The pitchers TLR picked were either

A) Relievers, which is needed in the game as a requirement
B) The lone team rep (Wade Miley)

Greinke was a miss for sure (should've been in over Hamels, who he did take) but that's the only noticable miss TLR had. The others were very neck and neck and you can make cases for them.

Lynn was a players vote. TLR didn't vote for any Cardinals, and Reds fans being butthurt that Phillips or Cueto weren't taken should recognize that TLR did take Jay Bruce over a much more deserving Matt Holliday or Michael Bourn. The pitchers TLR picked were either

A) Relievers, which is needed in the game as a requirement
B) The lone team rep (Wade Miley)

Greinke was a miss for sure (should've been in over Hamels, who he did take) but that's the only noticable miss TLR had. The others were very neck and neck and you can make cases for them.
Lynn was a players vote? That's horrible. I'm not a Reds fan, I'm not butthurt. I'm actually a Braves fan. I'll say, as a Braves fan, Dan Uggla hasn't had as good of a year as either Phillips or Hill at second.

Relievers are needed, in the All Star game, relievers are starting pitchers. Chapman and Kimbrel deservedly are in there too.

The lone team rep thing I understand. Wade Miley has been very good and I'm not complaining about his pick. As a fan of the NL in general, I don't like our lineup at all.

For the first time in my life, the Pirates are good. It's pretty wild to see the city get behind their backs. Lots of bandwagon fans, but that's expected. (And welcomed!)

I can't really blame people for not following the Pirates after they sucked for 20 years, lol.

The Tigers are actively pursuing starting pitching with less than two weeks remaining before the July 31st trade deadline, MLB executives tell ESPN.com's Buster Olney (on Twitter). Top pitching prospect Jacob Turner allowed seven earned runs in two innings to the Angels last night, so Detroit's need for pitching now seems more acute than ever.

The Tigers appear to have some level of interest in Ryan Dempster (details here), Matt Garza (details here) and Wandy Rodriguez (details here). They're expected to make top third base/outfield prospect Nick Castellanos unavailable in trade discussions, but they are probably willing to part with Rob Brantly, and Turner, Casey Crosby or Bruce Rondon could also be available.

-MLBTradeRumors.com

While it was obvious the Tigers would be actively pursuing upgrades at the deadline, I'm glad it's more towards the pitching side than the hitting side. While I know there's still some issues and definite needs to be upgraded (2B, COF) this offense has come around lately and with a rookie filling in at the #5 spot you can't assume he'll stay there the whole year. My preferred option of those 3 listed is Garza for the fact that he's pitched in the AL before and he has another year and 1/2 of control. He'd fill in perfectly in that 3/4 spot (likely the 3 in front of Scherzer) and is a much more stable option than Smyly/Turner.

If they had to give up Turner/Crosby/Brantly for him so be it. Turner is still at least another year away, Brantly is somewhat blocked by Avila, and Crosby has some potential as a lefty but I prefer Smyly over him. I think that would be a pretty fair trade, since Garza isn't #1 quality but would yield 2 potential starters and a catcher that has some talent for 1 1/2 years of Garza

I'm on cloud nine as a Tigers fan right now. They have won 13 out of 15, they are in first place in the AL Central, and now they have acquired Omar Infante and Anibal Sanchez from the Marlins to fill their two biggest needs (2B and SP). Infante played for the Tigers from 2002 to 2007 and since leaving Detroit he has shown he is capable of becoming more of an every day starter at second and not just a utility player. Anibal Sanchez gives the rotation a huge upgrade as they were desperate for a fifth starter. With Verlander, Fister, Sanchez, Scherzer, and Porcello, the Tigers have one of the better rotations in the AL. They had to give up a couple really good prospects in SP Jacob Turner and catcher Rob Brantly but it was definitely worth it. The Tigers still have a couple great, young pitching prospects and Brantly was blocked at catcher by Alex Avila who is only 25. This really completes the Tigers roster as they don't have any holes. They aren't amazing at every position by any means but there are no glaring holes anywhere.

The Tigers still have some issues for sure. Despite his recent hot streak, Brennan Boesch shouldn't be more than a platoon guy. Delmon Young is still awful for the position he plays. Quintin Berry's cooled down considerably. Dirks is making rehab starts but we don't know how long it'll be and he could still reaggrivate the injury. Their COF spot is a hole that should be a place that produces offense. They're just lucky Jackson has played as well as he has to somewhat makeup for the other OF woes. Ideally V-mart comes back in September and Delmon is relegated to the bench, but that's wishful thinking. A RH COF would be a nice piece to add to at worst platoon with Boesch/Berry/Dirks. Who's available and a good fit I couldn't tell you, but let's not act like just because he's on a hot streak Boesch hasn't been bad this year and Delmon is a pathetic excuse for a DH. All the other positions aren't going to be changed, but both COF spots could use improvement.

As for Sanchez, I like the move because he can K guys and to be a successful pitcher on this team it's much more beneficial to K guys than rely on your defense. Porcello and Duane Below are the only two guys that don't K at league average and Rick is the #5 now and Below is the long relief guy. This move definitely fills in some holes and should push them into the division champions, but they still need a RH bat before we can say they're WS favorites.

They certainly aren't great or even good at the COF spots but I wouldn't consider it a hole. The combination of Berry, Boesch, and the returning Dirks is more then good enough to get the job done. Berry's bat has cooled down but he is still hitting better then expected. He's also a tremendous fielder and easily the teams best base stealer. Boesch's recent hot streak may just be a fluke but it also may be a sign of things to come. And let's not forget how good Dirks was before his injury.

Delmon may not be a good DH but he isn't completely horrible. I'd also rather have Martinez wait until next year to come back. With the amount of time he was away it would take him a while to get back into the swing of things (pun intended) and by not coming back until September he wouldn't have much time to do so. No team is perfect and there are always positions that could use improvement but Detroit no longer has any glaring holes like they had at second and in the rotation.

They certainly aren't great or even good at the COF spots but I wouldn't consider it a hole.

I'd say it's a hole in that other than Jackson you don't have a clear cut starter that you should run out there every day. We thought Boesch could be that guy but he was awful the first 3 months of the year and has lost that designation. Berrys been ridden on his hot streak until he cools off fully (and it's slowly starting to come). Dirks was hot for his time playing but 140ish AB is still not a very large sample size. And Raburn is, well, Raburn.

It's not a coincidence the Tigers were having rumors that they may move up top prospect Nick Castellanos this year to a COF spot even though he's just started playing there and really should be waited on till at least next spring training. Their OF is a big question mark and a decent COF RH bat would be nice, so you can at least platoon one of those 3 with the RH.

He's also a tremendous fielder and easily the teams best base stealer. Boesch's recent hot streak may just be a fluke but it also may be a sign of things to come.

Berry's actually a pretty poor defender. He takes poor routes but can make up for some of it with his speed. The only reason he's made some of those spectacular catches is because he read the ball poorly.

Delmon may not be a good DH but he isn't completely horrible. I'd also rather have Martinez wait until next year to come back. With the amount of time he was away it would take him a while to get back into the swing of things (pun intended) and by not coming back until September he wouldn't have much time to do so. No team is perfect and there are always positions that could use improvement but Detroit no longer has any glaring holes like they had at second and in the rotation.

Delmon can't even post a .700 OPS as a primary DH. Thats quite below the average .766 by all DH's. If V-Mart takes rehab assignments and is medically cleared I don't see why he shouldn't be used. He's not getting paid the big bucks to sit around.

I'd say it's a hole in that other than Jackson you don't have a clear cut starter that you should run out there every day. We thought Boesch could be that guy but he was awful the first 3 months of the year and has lost that designation. Berrys been ridden on his hot streak until he cools off fully (and it's slowly starting to come). Dirks was hot for his time playing but 140ish AB is still not a very large sample size. And Raburn is, well, Raburn.

I see a hole as something that could prevent you from winning a championship. A couple corner outfielders hitting in the .250-.280 range with depth coming back in the form of Andy Dirks isn't bad at all. Your second basemen hitting in the low .200's and high .100's will. Your fifth starter constantly being in limbo with ERA's over 6, will as well. They aren't great in the OF outside of Jackson but they are competent enough to get the job done.

Berry's actually a pretty poor defender. He takes poor routes but can make up for some of it with his speed. The only reason he's made some of those spectacular catches is because he read the ball poorly.

As long as he makes the catch in the end I don't care what route he takes. Berry is a center fielder who has had to play left because Jackson obviously has CF locked up. For the most part he has done a good job and he is only going to get better as he continues to make that adjustment. He is also by far the Tigers best base stealer which ups his overall value as a player.

Delmon can't even post a .700 OPS as a primary DH. Thats quite below the average .766 by all DH's. If V-Mart takes rehab assignments and is medically cleared I don't see why he shouldn't be used. He's not getting paid the big bucks to sit around.

Rehab assignments aren't going to prepare a guy who has been missed an entire season. If he comes back and they put him in for a few games and he does well then great, but the chances of that aren't high. If he comes back in September they can only afford to give him a short amount of time to get back in the groove of things. No need to rush him unless he is at 110%.

I see a hole as something that could prevent you from winning a championship. A couple corner outfielders hitting in the .250-.280 range with depth coming back in the form of Andy Dirks isn't bad at all. Your second basemen hitting in the low .200's and high .100's will. Your fifth starter constantly being in limbo with ERA's over 6, will as well. They aren't great in the OF outside of Jackson but they are competent enough to get the job done.

I agree 2nd was their biggest problem, but having essentially 3 spots (LF, RF, DH) produce much below standard isn't going to help either and could hinder them. Plus a RH OF bat would help anyways in that you aren't stuck playing 2 lefties in the OF no matter what and gives you some versatility. A cheap rental would be nice but the options out there likely are limited.

And idk where you're getting fifth starters with ERA over 6. Smyly's been the 5 for pretty much all year (save spot starts from Turner/Crosby/Wilk - some which were for Fister anyways) and has been more than a pleasant surprise. Again I think it needed to be addressed because Smyly wasn't going to be throwing 180+ innings this year and has been on the DL twice now, but ERA over 6 hasn't come from the guy that was #5 most of the year in Smyly.

As long as he makes the catch in the end I don't care what route he takes. Berry is a center fielder who has had to play left because Jackson obviously has CF locked up. For the most part he has done a good job and he is only going to get better as he continues to make that adjustment. He is also by far the Tigers best base stealer which ups his overall value as a player.

Yes it's all fine and dandy when he makes the catch but he puts himself in bad position to make plays often with poor routes and will get burnt by it. His speed makes him a better defender than Boesch, but let's not act like he's a Gold Glover out there. I'd take someone like Raburn out there defensively because he's got the best arm out of them all and he takes better routes to it.

I like Berry and think he's a great story, but there's a reason this guy was a 27 year old rookie. He's got some huge flaws in his game that will end up making him a 4th OF sooner rather than later. Not that there's anything wrong with that. That's a key piece to the team. But he's not a superstar in the making.

Rehab assignments aren't going to prepare a guy who has been missed an entire season. If he comes back and they put him in for a few games and he does well then great, but the chances of that aren't high. If he comes back in September they can only afford to give him a short amount of time to get back in the groove of things. No need to rush him unless he is at 110%.

If Victors at 75% I want him in over Delmon. He would only be hitting and if he can run and replicate anything even slightly worse than what he did last year, it'll be an improvement at DH. Give me a more consistent 'professional' slightly unhealthier hitter in Victor over a streaky free swinging out of shape hitter in Delmon. If Victor can go, you don't waste that bat on the bench.

As for other news, Hanley Ramirez was traded to the Dodgers in exchange for 2 pitching prospects. It was a move LAD had to make because they couldn't simply rely on Kemp and Ethier the rest of the year and a change of scenery could be good for HanRam. I think Hanleys best days are well behind him but he should be able to add some more pop to the offense. An aggressive move that I like by a team that knows they can make some moves with the extra Wild Card.

Along with that, the Phillies reportedly resigned Cole Hamels to a 6 year extension. Big signing for them because it allows them to keep the guy who should take over the role as 'ace' in a year or two from Halladay. Although he could've hauled in a load for them I usually think that if you got a stud (which I believe Hamels is) you have to do whatever you can to keep him and build around him, especially if you have the type of payroll that the Phillies got. Plus, it's not like prospects are ever sure things.

And idk where you're getting fifth starters with ERA over 6. Smyly's been the 5 for pretty much all year (save spot starts from Turner/Crosby/Wilk - some which were for Fister anyways) and has been more than a pleasant surprise. Again I think it needed to be addressed because Smyly wasn't going to be throwing 180+ innings this year and has been on the DL twice now, but ERA over 6 hasn't come from the guy that was #5 most of the year in Smyly.

Smyly is still in the midst of his second stint on the DL for the season. Turner, Wilk, Crosby, and Below have combined for 10 starts this season with a combined ERA in the 8-9 range and those were more the numbers I was going with. With Smyly's ability to stay healthy in question, the Tigers needed a 5th guy in the rotation that they could rely on.

Yes it's all fine and dandy when he makes the catch but he puts himself in bad position to make plays often with poor routes and will get burnt by it. His speed makes him a better defender than Boesch, but let's not act like he's a Gold Glover out there. I'd take someone like Raburn out there defensively because he's got the best arm out of them all and he takes better routes to it.

Last time I checked Raburn couldn't even hit in the .200's so I don't want him anywhere near the field. And again, Berry is still transitioning from being a center fielder his entire career so there are going to be some growing pains. He was much better when playing center in place of Jackson. With his speed and big catch ability, I'll still take him as a defender in the outfield over anyone not named Jackson.

I like Berry and think he's a great story, but there's a reason this guy was a 27 year old rookie. He's got some huge flaws in his game that will end up making him a 4th OF sooner rather than later. Not that there's anything wrong with that. That's a key piece to the team. But he's not a superstar in the making.

No one said he was a superstar in the making but until his inevitable drop off I'm going to enjoy the ride. At the end of the day his average is still currently at .289, he is doing just fine in the field, and he is easily the teams best base stealer. When it comes to Boesch, he was horrendous to start the season but he is hitting .370 in the month of July so until he cools down I want him playing every day.

If Victors at 75% I want him in over Delmon. He would only be hitting and if he can run and replicate anything even slightly worse than what he did last year, it'll be an improvement at DH. Give me a more consistent 'professional' slightly unhealthier hitter in Victor over a streaky free swinging out of shape hitter in Delmon. If Victor can go, you don't waste that bat on the bench.

If he can go and is 100% healthy then they should put him out there but there is no reason to risk further injury if he is less then 100%. They also can't wait around for him to find his swing considering he'd be returning with less then a month to go in the season. A lot of things have to go right in that situation.

Smyly is still in the midst of his second stint on the DL for the season. Turner, Wilk, Crosby, and Below have combined for 10 starts this season with a combined ERA in the 8-9 range and those were more the numbers I was going with. With Smyly's ability to stay healthy in question, the Tigers needed a 5th guy in the rotation that they could rely on.

Those starts weren't all filled for Smyly though. Fister has been on the DL twice as well and Smyly has still made more starts than Fister to this point (although that will change soon). I agree they needed another starter because Smyly was going to have an innings limit anyways, though.

Last time I checked Raburn couldn't even hit in the .200's so I don't want him anywhere near the field. And again, Berry is still transitioning from being a center fielder his entire career so there are going to be some growing pains. He was much better when playing center in place of Jackson. With his speed and big catch ability, I'll still take him as a defender in the outfield over anyone not named Jackson.

I was referring to Raburn being a defensive replacement. And Berry has spent time at LF before in the minors (over 650 innings worth) so it's not like they were throwing him into a new position. And LF is easier than CF, so it shouldn't be a tough transition. Fact remains is both statistically and with the eye test he takes poor routes, has a pretty weak arm, and gets away with his gambles for now. He's got good range, but just because he's on the highlight reel doesn't mean he's a great defender. If that was the case, Derek Jeter would be a top 3 defensive shortstop ever.

No one said he was a superstar in the making but until his inevitable drop off I'm going to enjoy the ride. At the end of the day his average is still currently at .289, he is doing just fine in the field, and he is easily the teams best base stealer. When it comes to Boesch, he was horrendous to start the season but he is hitting .370 in the month of July so until he cools down I want him playing every day.

I didn't say you, but people on other Tiger boards I visit think he's got a future starter potential. This isn't a guy like Josh Hamilton who didn't get his start till later and always had the talent. His ceiling will be a 4OF but the Tigers don't have a lot of good options right now, so of course I'm gonna ride him out until his hot streak cools (although his slash lines have dipped every month he's played). And same with Boesch - better suited as a 4OF but stuck as a starter because of the lack of depth and his hot streak. You keep him going until it runs out.

I hope these guys keep it up, but I'm a realist. If they wanted to platoon the guys with a RH bat and ride them out when they're hot I'd have absolutely 0 issue. But if you are playing for a title and want your team as strong as possible you try to find a cheap RH OF bat to at least platoon with one of them.

I was referring to Raburn being a defensive replacement. And Berry has spent time at LF before in the minors (over 650 innings worth) so it's not like they were throwing him into a new position. And LF is easier than CF, so it shouldn't be a tough transition. Fact remains is both statistically and with the eye test he takes poor routes, has a pretty weak arm, and gets away with his gambles for now. He's got good range, but just because he's on the highlight reel doesn't mean he's a great defender. If that was the case, Derek Jeter would be a top 3 defensive shortstop ever.

I don't want Raburn on the roster period. He is a huge liability defensively at second and while he may have a strong arm, he makes too many defensive mistakes in the outfield as well. Raburn was always on the roster for his hitting and considering his average is .172, he can't help the Tigers win games. Berry has some experience playing left but considering 598 of his 682 career minor league starts came at center, it's safe to say that is where his comfort zone is. Left is obviously easier then center but that doesn't mean there still isn't a transition. Shortstop is a tougher position then second base but if a guy is used to playing short every day and he gets moved over to second, he isn't going to be as good right away.

I hope these guys keep it up, but I'm a realist. If they wanted to platoon the guys with a RH bat and ride them out when they're hot I'd have absolutely 0 issue. But if you are playing for a title and want your team as strong as possible you try to find a cheap RH OF bat to at least platoon with one of them.

If Dirks wasn't coming back soon then I believe they would have gone after another outfielder but with him coming back and the hot streak Boesch is on, they went after two needs that were more important. If Scherzer keeps pitching the way he is capable and Sanchez has a smooth transition to the AL, then the Tigers rotation in the playoffs will be deadly.

Disappointing loss today to drop us 1 GB, but the promising thing is it's still a 5-2 homestand and the White Sox dropped 2 of 3 to KC. Another nice thing to see is the rest of the schedule for the Tigers. Of the 50 games they have left, 32 are against the AL Central (64%) compared to just 28 of 52 for the White Sox (54%). I still stand by the belief that 90 wins will be more than enough to win the division, and say they go 21-11 (not a ridiculous belief in my mind) against the AL Central they just have to go .500 against everyone else which includes the likes of Toronto, Baltimore, LA, Texas, and Oakland. Granted, 7 of those games are against the White Sox, so I'd be willing to take a 20-12 if they go 5-2 against the White Sox. In the end I still think the Tigers will end up winning the Division due to the many question marks of the Sox (is Sale going to pitch more often than every 10th day, is Peavy going to stay healthy, can you trust Liriano for serious innings) and the fact that the Tigers really have played a lot better baseball of late.

The Tigers remain 2 GB the White Sox after tonights victory over the Twins, and there's a few points I want to make:

1) Doug Fister is back to pitching like the stud he was in the 2nd half of last year. He gives us a nice 1-2 punch with Verlander and should we find any sort of consistency by Scherzer I think it wouldn't be an awful idea to go to a 3 man rotation should they make the playoffs. I know they have Annibal Sanchez there as well but he hasn't adjusted to AL hitting as of yet (I know it's only 4 starts, but 3 of them were awful) and the more starts I can get out of Verlander/Fister, the better. A 3 man rotation worked for the Yankees, so I wouldn't put it out of the question with those 3, although I doubt they do just because otherwise that'd render Porcello quite useless.

2) Omar Infante has been the real catch of that trade for Turner. He's only had 70ish PA so far, but he still has produced better than the crap they had at 2b before (I'm only slightly exaggerating on the production but not by much). His versatility and good defense is good on a team that needs some.

3) They still are throwing shit out there often with Delmon Young and Brennan Boesch. Boesch has been terrible against lefties and below average against righties. We have 400 PA of evidence with him. He should be a platoon in RF at best with Baker. Even then, I'm not fully happy with him against righties since a .700 OPS is just awful from a corner OF.

Young has surprisingly not been that bad in over 100 PA against lefties with a .813 OPS, but Leyland continues to run him out there everyday when he really shouldn't either. I know their options are limited since they basically have to create two starters out of Young, Boesch, Baker, and Berry, but you would think after nearly 300 PA against RH Leyland would recognize that Young shouldn't be the fulltime DH. Hopefully Dombrowski can find another steal on the waiver wire as a LH platoon with Delmon, but sadly I think we'll be stuck with Boesch/Delmon in the lineup for a good portion of the rest of the season.

Something worth talking about:

Who'd have thought that maybe the best move the Nationals made last offseason would be the one they didn't make? Well, alright, acquiring Gio was their best move. But after that, I think the non-signing of Prince Fielder has to be looked at as a great decision. The WAR difference between Fielder and LaRoche is only 1.3. If the Nationals had ponied up the kind of contract Fielder got from Detroit, it's safe to say they'd have severely overpayed for the wins. Would LaRoche have seen playing time in that scenario, the same way that Cabrera moved to 3rd? It's doubtful, as he's never been anything but a first baseman. He'd probably have been either traded or benched. While Fielder might have been better for the long term health of the franchise, that remains to be seen, and in 2012 at least, they made a great call to hold off and put the vote of confidence in LaRoche.

WC Playoffs tonight. Anybody got any predictions?

Either way, these are two great matchups. As a neutral fan for all intents and purposes (I live in Canada), I'm a little partial to the storylines. The NL matchup interests me because I'd like to see the Cardinals make the playoffs, and get a chance to defend their title, but I wouldn't mind seeing Chipper Jones' career go on.

As for the AL matchup, I'd like to see the Orioles make the playoffs, but I'd probably feel bad for the Rangers if they lost this game considering they've been in the WS 2 years running, and they were twice a strike away from winning it all last year.

I love the WC playoff idea as a fan, but if I was a player on one of the teams that won the first WC spot I wouldn't be very happy.

If I was to make a prediction, bI think the home teams will have a 50% success rate tonight. I think Baltimore and Atlanta are going to the playoffs. Now watch as I get both my predictions wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back