2012 MLB Thread

A-Rod appears to be on his way out of New York. He gets all the blame for the Yankees not scoring runs, yet 4 other guys are hitting below .200.

A-Rod appears to be on his way out of New York. He gets all the blame for the Yankees not scoring runs, yet 4 other guys are hitting below .200.

It might have something to do with his enormous contract that was supposed to mean championships raining down upon New York, when he's hit under the Mendoza line with 0 home runs in the playoffs from 2010-2012. Not that I'm saying that was a realistic expectation anyway, at any point (it wasn't), but he got paid like it was.

The Miami rumors are interesting. It sounds like the kind of thing Loria would do, because boy does he ever love people talking about him. Then again, he might have just started the rumors so that people would talk about him. Who knows?

The simple fact is, A-Rod is in decline. He's posted worse and worse offensive numbers every consecutive year from 2007 forward. Frankly, the time has come to bite the bullet and deal with the issue - the guy can't hit righties. The easy solution? Platoon him. It may sound unthinkable, given how much money he makes, but when it comes down to it, money doesn't win you a thing. The product you put on the field does. Find a third baseman who can post at least respectable numbers against righties. Eric Chavez isn't a savant against righties or anything, but he has a .275 career line against them (with .298 in 2012). To do better, they'd have to go outside, I think - neither Nunez or Nix is any good against righties. I think a top priority for the Yankees this offseason is resigning either Chavez or find a guy out there who can do well against righties. Make it a permanent platoon and take it into the playoffs next year - it'll get you a lot further than A-Rod will.

By the way, if you want proof that platoons can and do work - look at Oakland's first base platoon this year. That's a huge part of them getting to the playoffs.

I know the season is over, but since this is still kinda the official MLB thread (even with 2012 season over) there's a big trade rumor coming out from Miami and Toronto. Official trade:

John Paul Marosi said:
One source told me Johnson, Buehrle, Reyes, Buck and Bonifacio are all going to #BlueJays. I am working to confirm this. @MLBONFOX
Ken Rosenthal said:
Confirmed to #Marlins thus far by me and @jonmorosi. Escobar, Hechavarria, H. Alvarez, Nicolino.

So yeah, Marlins make a big salary dump only one year after making their big FA splash. A big move that if you're the Blue Jays you really have to make. Every team in that division has made the postseason at least once since 2008 aside from them. Johnson should give them a nice #1. Buehrle is a decent mid rotation guy. Reyes is an improvement over Escobar, and Bonifacio is a nice utility player. As for Miami, as Jim Bowden says, it'll be tough to see any big name FA come to them again. Giving guys away one year after their big contracts isn't a good idea. Big move. Does this make the Blue Jays potential contenders? Do the Marlins ownership ever learn to stop becoming a joke?

tumblr_m4pq170hkS1qcv2z3o1_250.gif

Marlins made flashy moves last year and created buzz to go along with their new ballpark. Other than Reyes, the moves they made were not very intelligent for their roster needs and finances.

I also hear that the Marlins may be getting Anthony Gose and JP Arencibia. If this is the case, then I see this move as being fair for both sides, but Marlins coming out very strong.

Well...my hopes of Boston signing Torri Hunter are up in smoke considering he signed with Detriot, That lineup is gonna be 1 of the best ones in baseball next year with Jackson, Cabera, Prince, Victor and now Hunter in there, Plus Berry doesn't seem too bad from what I saw during the playoffs.

Rumor has it there going after Hamilton that would be great even though he has some personal issues.

Wow, a busy week for the Toronto Blue Jays. Right on the heels of the still-to-be-approved trade with the Marlins that landed them Mark Buehrle, Josh Johnson, and Jose Reyes while only costing them unproven prospects, it appears that they have acquired Melky Cabrera as well. While the jury may be out on the success of these recent transactions, is nice to see the once dominant Blue Jays at least do something to attempt to contend in the highly competitive AL East. Since their back to back World Series Championships, the Jays have been an absolute joke, always building for the future but never getting there. At least they are finally trying to contend this year, which personally I think with the nucleus they had, combined with their new additions, they are more than capable of pulling off.

And the Toronto Blue Jays' rebirth continues still. R.A. Dickey, last year's NL Cy Young award winner, the newest addition to the steadily improving roster for the once proud franchise in Toronto. As I said before, the results of all of these transactions are yet to be determined, but it's awesome to see the team at least take steps to improve for the first time since their back to back World Series Championships two decades ago.

When your number one and number two starters from last season are all of a sudden numbers four and five, it's safe to say that at least they are headed in the correct direction.

Even though the Hot Stove season is nearing it's end of impact players being signed (only 4 of ESPNs 20 top FAs are unisgned), there's still a few decent pitchers and one real potential impact player in Michael Bourn. Only problem with Bourn is that there might not be a great market for a guy who has skills that normally don't age that well (speed/defense) and he's already on the wrong side of 30. I'm hard pressed to find a team that's the perfect fit to give Bourn, especially since most CF-needy teams have addressed that need already. I see him signing a 1 year deal and re-entering the FA market, even though that team offering the 1 year deal would be out a draft pick.

There are some other gems out there such as Kyle Lohse, Rafael Soriano, and Adam LaRoache, but I'd say Bourne is the only one likely to get more than 3 years (and ideally will get something like Upton got from Atlanta).

Even though the Hot Stove season is nearing it's end of impact players being signed (only 4 of ESPNs 20 top FAs are unisgned), there's still a few decent pitchers and one real potential impact player in Michael Bourn. Only problem with Bourn is that there might not be a great market for a guy who has skills that normally don't age that well (speed/defense) and he's already on the wrong side of 30. I'm hard pressed to find a team that's the perfect fit to give Bourn, especially since most CF-needy teams have addressed that need already. I see him signing a 1 year deal and re-entering the FA market, even though that team offering the 1 year deal would be out a draft pick.

There are some other gems out there such as Kyle Lohse, Rafael Soriano, and Adam LaRoache, but I'd say Bourne is the only one likely to get more than 3 years (and ideally will get something like Upton got from Atlanta).

I agree that a one year deal might be what it takes, but they also said Fielder would sign a one year deal last year too. I think if the Rangers don't get the impact outfielder they want - Upton or Stanton - they'll go after Bourn, and probably get him. They don't have to - Gentry is better than most people give him credit for, and Leonys Martin could turn into a great center fielder. But the Rangers will want to answer the salvo fired by the Angels in signing Hamilton, and need to stay competitive in a division that's being bolstered by improving Athletics and Mariners teams. Speaking of the Mariners, they're definitely players here and I think they might be exactly what Boras wants - a team desperate to win and ready to (over)commit money (just like Fielder and Detroit last year). One long shot suitor could be the Cubs. The Cubs are sending mixed signals as to what their plans are; they signed Edwin Jackson to a four year deal, but otherwise appear to be rebuilding. But with impact prospects a year or two away, they could commit to Bourn for around five years and have him ready when the time comes. It's not a great fit, but Boras can sell - though maybe not to Epstein & Co.

I think he signs for big with the Mariners in the end, personally, while the Rangers will either settle for Kubel or stand pat and wait until the trade deadline to go after Stanton or even David Price. They'll probably try to avoid exposing Jurickson Profar anymore than necessary in such a scenario, to keep his prospect value sky high.

But, suppose a one year deal is what happens? What teams can afford to sign Bourn for one year and surrender a draft pick? What about the team that doesn't have to give up the draft pick - the Atlanta Braves? The Braves want another outfielder so Prado can take over third. Maybe they'd prefer a more long term fix, but a Bourn return for a high value ($15+ million) for one year would probably be the best pillow contract out there.

Other free agents are perplexing. What is the market for Lohse? Hell if I know. The Orioles are the team that needs to sign him, but they haven't signaled much interest. The Rangers could be interested as well. Maybe some more surprising teams like the Brewers could get involved, but I doubt it. I think he's the Orioles to sign if they'll just jump on him.

I think Soriano ought to sign with the Jays. Their payroll has already exploded - would a one year, $14 million dollar to Soriano to close be so much more? Their bullpen was very much in transition last year and an established closer would help; Sergio Santos being allowed to set up can help him work his way back into form.

LaRoche will probably just head back to the Nationals, I imagine. The only team that can both afford him and wants a first baseman is the Red Sox, but they appear to have committed to Napoli, pending the hip problem thing. The Orioles are a fit too, but they appear rather inept this free agency.

I think the Redsox should be taken more seriously as a threat to win the division in 2013. Yankees and O's have done little to nothing this off season, Rays lost 2 of their best pitchers and Jays are forced to rely on Johnson who sucked last year and Dickey who I honestly think was a fluke. Speaking of the Sox with things falling apart fast with Napoli, I hope they scoop up LaRoche to play 1st he's better than Napoli anyway and would be a great addition to the lineup, Giving Papi a good bat to back him up maybe.

I'm surprised Bailey lost the closer job but happy about it. His ERA was over 7 in the short amount of time he played in 2012. That trade with the Pirates was awesome, We basically robbed them blind!

I think the Redsox should be taken more seriously as a threat to win the division in 2013. Yankees and O's have done little to nothing this off season, Rays lost 2 of their best pitchers and Jays are forced to rely on Johnson who sucked last year and Dickey who I honestly think was a fluke. Speaking of the Sox with things falling apart fast with Napoli, I hope they scoop up LaRoche to play 1st he's better than Napoli anyway and would be a great addition to the lineup, Giving Papi a good bat to back him up maybe.

I'm surprised Bailey lost the closer job but happy about it. His ERA was over 7 in the short amount of time he played in 2012. That trade with the Pirates was awesome, We basically robbed them blind!

Eh. Not really. It's a trade of small value for small value. The Pirates got solid players at positions of need in exchange for an overrated closer due to implode. It's sort of neutral for both teams, beyond each plugging perceived holes.

Johnson was actually pretty good last year. 3.81 ERA/3.40 FIP/3.73 xFIP, 3.8 WAR, 7.76 K/9. And that was less than a year after his injury. And Dickey wasn't a fluke. Compared to the big catch of the free agency Zack Greinke, Dickey's stats 2010-2012 were:

R.A. Dickey, 2010-2012: 91 starts, 617 IP, 2.95 ERA, 468 Ks, 150 walks
Zack Greinke, 2010-2012: 95 starts, 604 IP, 3.83 ERA, 582 Ks, 154 walks

Not a lot of fluke there, if you ask me.

Eh. Not really. It's a trade of small value for small value. The Pirates got solid players at positions of need in exchange for an overrated closer due to implode. It's sort of neutral for both teams, beyond each plugging perceived holes.

I disagree we didn't give up anybody worth anything and got back a solid closer, Who if he falls apart we have at least 2 guys who will be at the back of the pen to replace him and a prospect who I've heard has some good potential.

I disagree we didn't give up anybody worth anything and got back a solid closer, Who if he falls apart we have at least 2 guys who will be at the back of the pen to replace him and a prospect who I've heard has some good potential.

I'll put it this way - Hanrahan is a minor upgrade at a minor cost. Hanrahan is not as good as you think he is; his peripherals in 2012 scream of an ERA due to skyrocket. Classically, a league and division change is the sort of the thing that triggers that. I can easily see him pitching to an ERA over 4. I agree that the Red Sox didn't give up a lot, but they didn't get much back either.

Sands could end up being a decent hitter. From the little I've spent looking at the deal, Sands has the potential to make the most impact from anyone sent. Not a top prospect by any means, but starter worthy. Melancon should do much better leaving Fenway and the AL East, though.

And I'm glad Hanrahan went to Boston. There were rumors the Tigers were gonna send Porcello there for him, and that would've been a waste of a cost-controlled arm who is a solid #5. Guy racks up saves but isn't a great reliever.

Johnson was actually pretty good last year. 3.81 ERA/3.40 FIP/3.73 xFIP, 3.8 WAR, 7.76 K/9. And that was less than a year after his injury. And Dickey wasn't a fluke. Compared to the big catch of the free agency Zack Greinke, Dickey's stats 2010-2012 were:

R.A. Dickey, 2010-2012: 91 starts, 617 IP, 2.95 ERA, 468 Ks, 150 walks
Zack Greinke, 2010-2012: 95 starts, 604 IP, 3.83 ERA, 582 Ks, 154 walks

Not a lot of fluke there, if you ask me.

Oh I think Johnson will do much better this year because unless your Strasburg you don't have a great year in your first season back from tommy john but him alone won't be enough to carry that team forever. Plus he will be pitching in a lot of hitters parks which will cause another year with a high ERA.

To Harthan: I will agree to a point, I know there's many better closers out there, Hell 3 of them are still in the AL East in Johnson, Rivera and Rodney. But he is still an upgrade from Bailey and like I said if he happens to fall apart we can put Bailey back there or that Japanese pitcher who was in Texas last year. I can't remember his name right now but he had a pretty good year last year.

By fluke I meant this was the first year that Dickey really did great. I will be shocked if he has another 20 win season again in his career, Speaking of which he's not a long term fix there I would not have made that trade they made for them. They gave up 1 of their best prospects for a 38 year old pitcher who has not done much in his career before this year.

Oh I think Johnson will do much better this year because unless your Strasburg you don't have a great year in your first season back from tommy john but him alone won't be enough to carry that team forever. Plus he will be pitching in a lot of hitters parks which will cause another year with a high ERA.

Seeing as how the guy will be entering his age 29 season I wouldn't expect too much of an increase in his numbers. He can K at a pretty good rate (and it should improve on last years numbers sense he'll have a full offseason of health) and has the talent of a top 10 pitcher. Just has health problems. If they get 200 IP from him they'll be ecstatic.

By fluke I meant this was the first year that Dickey really did great. I will be shocked if he has another 20 win season again in his career, Speaking of which he's not a long term fix there I would not have made that trade they made for them. They gave up 1 of their best prospects for a 38 year old pitcher who has not done much in his career before this year.

I wouldn't judge a pitcher based on wins because he can't control the offense or defense behind him. He's posted great ERA and FIPs the past 3 years and, while his K rate took an abnormally great increase from 2011-2012, from the data given it doesn't seem like a total fluke.

I agree they're taking a win-now approach, but when you're nearing 20 years since your last playoff team, you start to get desperate.

Seeing as how the guy will be entering his age 29 season I wouldn't expect too much of an increase in his numbers. He can K at a pretty good rate (and it should improve on last years numbers sense he'll have a full offseason of health) and has the talent of a top 10 pitcher. Just has health problems. If they get 200 IP from him they'll be ecstatic.

I wouldn't judge a pitcher based on wins because he can't control the offense or defense behind him. He's posted great ERA and FIPs the past 3 years and, while his K rate took an abnormally great increase from 2011-2012, from the data given it doesn't seem like a total fluke.

I agree they're taking a win-now approach, but when you're nearing 20 years since your last playoff team, you start to get desperate.

Yeah I agree they needed to make moves, I love the trade they made with the Marlins they picked up some solid players there. A big concern with Dickey though is he's a knuckleballer, If that knuckleball isn't working it's gonna hurt them, Bad. But on the other hand if it's working then he could also do great so I guess we all have to just wait and see what goes down.

I agree also about Sands I didn't wanna see him go but I don't think he had a chance of a starting job in Boston for awhile, I can't see PD leaving for a long time, Bogarts is the future at shortstop, Middlebrooks is our third baseman for a long time.

Should be fun watching AL East baseball this year though. I think the Sox start the year facing all 4 teams in the division so I'll get an early look at the whole division.

I'd still peg Tampa as the early favorites, as I believe I've said in one of these threads on here. I won't say their deal for Shields was a steal because Shields was their #2 guy and while Meyers is a hot prospect he is just that; a prospect. Still, their rotation will be strong, Friedman will find more scrap heaps for bullpen heroes, and if Longoria can stay healthy and Meyers lives up to the billing, I'd take them over anyone else in that division. However, I'd say it is the division that is the most "out there" and can be had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back