2010 Oscar Watch (Discuss All Things Oscar In Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cena's Little Helper

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Yes, it's that time of the year. The National Board of Review, the first significant critical organization to release motion picture accolades every year, announced its picks this past Thursday.

As for every organization, I'll only be posting the winners (and nominees if applicable) for Best Film, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Adapted Screenplay.

National Board of Review

Best Film
The Social Network

Top Ten Films (In Alphabetical Order)
Another Year
The Fighter
Hereafter
Inception
The King’s Speech
Shutter Island
The Town
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter’s Bone

Best Actor
Jesse Eisenberg, The Social Network

Best Actress
Lesley Manville, Another Year

Best Supporting Actor
Christian Bale, The Fighter

Best Supporting Actress
Jacki Weaver, Animal Kingdom

Best Director
David Fincher, The Social Network

Best Original Screenplay
Chris Sparling, Buried

Best Adapted Screenplay
Aaron Sorkin, The Social Network

I find it interesting to note that Black Swan wasn't even mentioned by the National Board of Review. Of the Top Ten movies I have seen about half of them so far and Black Swan was definitely better then the five I viewed. I can't comment on if it was better then the others I have yet to see but I just find it baffling that it wasn't even mentioned. I am biased though since I am backing Black Swan for any and every Best Picture awards it will be nominated for.

You're not alone in your love for Black Swan, jon. The film just blew me away, and It's been a while since a film managed to take me on an emotional roller coaster like this one did. As far as the top ten goes, the only films that I haven't seen are Another Year, Winter's Bone, and Toy Story 3. I'm going to try and watch these films in the near future, because I want to see what all of the fuss is about. But when it comes to Toy Story 3, I just want to watch that one and have as much fun with it as I possibly can.

I'm pulling for Black Swan to take home some major awards, but I think The Social Network might steal the show at the Oscars this year. Everyone has seemingly fallen in love with this film, and I can't deny how brilliant this film was. The acting, the directing, and the writing was superb. Plus, the story of how Facebook began is sure to captivate a lot of people. Facebook is a worldwide phenomenon. I'm sure a lot of people were waiting for this story to be told, and it was executed to perfection.

You're not alone in your love for Black Swan, jon. The film just blew me away, and It's been a while since a film managed to take me on an emotional roller coaster like this one did. As far as the top ten goes, the only films that I haven't seen are Another Year, Winter's Bone, and Toy Story 3. I'm going to try and watch these films in the near future, because I want to see what all of the fuss is about. But when it comes to Toy Story 3, I just want to watch that one and have as much fun with it as I possibly can.

I'm pulling for Black Swan to take home some major awards, but I think The Social Network might steal the show at the Oscars this year. Everyone has seemingly fallen in love with this film, and I can't deny how brilliant this film was. The acting, the directing, and the writing was superb. Plus, the story of how Facebook began is sure to captivate a lot of people. Facebook is a worldwide phenomenon. I'm sure a lot of people were waiting for this story to be told, and it was executed to perfection.

I agree, while I want Black Swan to bring in some big awards, The Social Network was a very good film that has a ton of hype surrounding it right now. I have yet to see 127 Hours but I have heard some brilliant things about it and wouldn't count it out. I think this could be the year of James Franco, which I wouldn't mind one bit. As long as Natalie Portman wins Best Performance by a Female and Christian Bale wins for supporting actor I will be happy. I also really hope Red wins best Musical or Comedy at the Golden Globes this Sunday because it was by far the best film of that grouping.

Social Network was indeed a great film (I own it on dvd AND blueray), however it was confusing at times. I just don't see it winning the Oscars this year. MAYBE Eisenberg will, his performance was outstanding. There were better movies last year than just The Social Network.

Like most years it won't be until the middle of the year until I get to see the majority of the films that'll be gaining Oscar buzz about now. However I did see 127 Hours the other day and James Franco deserves a Best Actor nom at the very least.

First off, I've just seen the Black Swan and I found it astonishing and beautiful and possibly the scariest film I've seen in a good long time. I loved it. Excellent acting, masterful directing and a quality script.

The nominations were announced today:

Best Motion Picture of the Year
127 Hours
Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The Kids Are All Right
The King's Speech
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter's Bone​

Most of these are no surprises. The only surprises for me were The Kids Are All Right and Winter's Bone. I haven't seen either but it seems to me that The Kids Are All Right is getting a token comedy nomination. Winter's Bone is a surprise as it seemed to be overlooked so I'm a little surprised. I fully expected Hereafter and The Town to get nods here but neither did. I do think that The Social Network will win with it's main competition being The King's Speech but I see Black Swan as a dark horse here.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Javier Bardem for Biutiful
Jeff Bridges for True Grit
Jesse Eisenberg for The Social Network
Colin Firth for The King's Speech
James Franco for 127 Hours​

I must say that I didn't expect Bardem to get a nomination and was pretty much certain that Mark Whalberg would get a nod. He didn't and as such we have the same line-up as the BAFTA's. It's Firth's to lose and I don't think anyone doubts that. Bridges won last year and I really don't see back-to-back wins for him. Eisenberg is your dark horse and Franco is the main competition for Firth.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Annette Bening for The Kids Are All Right
Nicole Kidman for Rabbit Hole
Jennifer Lawrence for Winter's Bone
Natalie Portman for Black Swan
Michelle Williams for Blue Valentine​

This is Portman's in my opinion. I think she's a lock but then again that's what people said about Mickey Rourke. I don't see her losing at all but she does face some decent competition here. I think Portman is a clear cut above the rest in terms of other wins but you never can tell. Kidman and Bening will more than likely be the main challengers but again I don't see anyone beating Portman.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
Christian Bale for The Fighter
John Hawkes for Winter's Bone
Jeremy Renner for The Town
Mark Ruffalo for The Kids Are All Right
Geoffrey Rush for The King's Speech​

Much like Christoph Waltz last year, Heath Ledger two years ago and Javier Bardem the previous year, this has one massive favourite and that's Christian Bale. Bale's performance has earned him most other awards (including the Golden Globe) and seems to be the juggernaut here. Rush & Renner will be the stiffest competition as both were very good in their performances. This will be an interesting category to watch.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
Amy Adams for The Fighter
Helena Bonham Carter for The King's Speech
Melissa Leo for The Fighter
Hailee Steinfeld for True Grit
Jacki Weaver for Animal Kingdom​

I must say I've never even heard of Animal Kingdom so that nomination shocks the hell out of me. I was fully expected either Mila Kunis or Barbra Hershey to get nods for Black Swan and neither did which disappoints me as both were very good. Hailee Steinfeld is supposed to be excellent so it's nice to see her getting a nod but I suspect this one goes to one of the actors from The Fighter. They're both highly praised and I suspect it'll fall into their laps. I still don't understand the praise that Bonham Carter. I didn't find her performance that good at all actually but she's gotten yet another nomination here.

Best Achievement in Directing
Darren Aronofsky for Black Swan
Ethan Coen, Joel Coen for True Grit
David Fincher for The Social Network
Tom Hooper for The King's Speech
David O. Russell for The Fighter​

Well this is interesting. No Christopher Nolan which is very surprising to me. Instead he gets replaced by the Coens. The Brothers are very good at what they do but I just don't see it on the cards for them this year. The Fighter is a real underdog here and I don't believe has a chance. I still find the direction of Cooper for the King's Speech to be pretty mediocre and I don't think he'd win anyway. To me it's between Aronofsky and Fincher. Fincher is the hot favourite and I think he'll more than likely win but I honestly believe that this should go to Aronofsky. It'll be an intriguing battle.

You can find the othe rnominations here: http://www.imdb.com/features/oscars/2011/nominations

I was disappointed Ryan Gosling didn't get nominated. I still need to see Blue Valentine, but from all accounts he was superb in it and deserved at least a nod. And I don't doubt that for a second since his performance in Half Nelson was easily one of the best performances from the past decade, and one that should have won him an Oscar already, but he was snubbed that year.

I will finally watch The Social Network sometime in the next couple of days, but I have to wonder how is Jesse Eisenberg's performance Oscar nod worthy when after all the clips I've seen of the film is him basically being essentially the same character he always is? I mean, I like Eisenberg a LOT and he's much more tolerable than the likes of Michael Cera and all these other young leads that are constantly getting shoved down our throats, but man... I just can't picture his performance in The Social Network being all that incredible. Like I said though, I plan on watching the movie finally real soon, so if I change my opinion, I'll make sure to state it here, but I'll be shocked if that ends up being the case.

Anyways, I have no problem whatsoever with the rest of the nominations. I was surprised to see True Grit get as much love as it got after the Golden Globes didn't give them anything, but then again... the Academy loves the Coens, so I guess it's not really that shocking, nor does it bother me. I just hope it doesn't get the same ********ing treatment that overrated piece of shit No Country for Old Men got a few years ago.

But yeah... rooting for Black Swan for Best Picture, Darren Aronofsky for Best Director, Christopher Nolan for Best Original Screenplay, Annette Bening for Best Actress, and Christian Bale for Best Supporting Actor. Since Gosling wasn't nominated for Blue Valentine, for once I don't care who wins Best Actor this year (unless, like I said, Eisenberg blows me away when I watch The Social Network later).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back