2010-2011 Football Thread

So, with the new season 2 days old with the kick off of the Championship, the Community Shield later this afternoon, and Premiership kicking off in 6 days, I thought this the best time to start this thread. Hopefully, everything about this season can be discussed here, from Champions League football, to the Premiership; to the npower Football League. And Scottish football too.

The Championship season got off to an intriguing start this weekend, with a number of unexpected results, most notably Millwall defeating Bristol City 3-0, which left QPR top of the table on goal difference after one game. Today, the unofficial Premiership curtain raiser happens, with Manchester United and Chelsea aiming to draw first blood before the season starts proper. On Wednesday, we have a meaningless friendly between England and Hungary in which Wembley will be half full and the next generation of England stars can experience the might of the Hungarians.

Saturday, a battle of Champions League hopefuls kicks us off with Manchester City looking to stake their claim for being title contenders. However for me, with the impending acquisitions of James Milner and Mario Balotelli, the only world class player they have to show all the money spent is Carlos Tevez. Third place behind Manchester United and Chelsea may be the best they can hope for.

Liverpool have a most interesting match on Sunday against Arsenal, with Arsenal still lacking two or three players to seriously challenge for the title, and Liverpool looking to improve greatly under Roy Hodgson. With the sigings of Milan Jovanovic and Joe Cole, it looks like Hodgson will at least mount a credible challenge for 4th. Well, he can't do any worse than Benitez.

And finally, on Monday night, Newcastle United mark their return to the big leagues with a trip to Old Trafford, a match they will be dying to win.

For now, I shall finish with a prediction for how I think the table will look come the end of the season:

1. Manchester United
2. Chelsea
3. Manchester City
4. Arsenal
5. Tottenham Hotspur
6. Liverpool
7. Everton
8. Aston Villa
9. Sunderland
10. Fulham
11. Birmingham City
12. Stoke City
13. Blackburn Rovers
14. West Ham United
15. Bolton Wanderers
16. Newcastle United
17. Wolverhampton Wanderers
18. Wigan Athletic
19. West Bromwich Albion
20. Blackpool

But really, any from 11-16 are interchangeable.

Looking forward to it. A lot of Stokies have been complaining about a lack of signings. But from the rumours I've been hearing we'll be better off with what we've got. £12 million for Carlton Cole? ***** got dodgy knees already. Jo? Isn't that the Man City twat with the afro? Some French bloke I've never heard of. An Ipswich player and Kenwyne Jones. None of them really interest me. I'll be happy if Tuncay plays regularly (In midfield) and if we can get Emile Heskey.

Mid table again, hopefully and I'll predict we'll make a semi-final in one of the cups.

Jesus Jake, a man that actually wants Emile Heskey! Really?!

I thought the first weekend threw up some crazy results such as Millwall winning in Bristol and Ipswich knocking Boro down as well, I think it just proves what a crazy and entertaining division it is and I'm so glad the seasons back!

As for the Prem this year I think its a two wayer between Man Utd and Chelsea again and I reckon the two games that they have between them this year will go a long way to deciding who the champions will be. I think it'll be Chelsea again this year, if they keep free of injury then I think they can do it, Id rather they didnt but I think they will.

1. Chelsea
2. Manchester United

This is where it hots up for me. As a Spurs fan I would love and honestly think we could achieve third this year, if we shore up the squad before Spetember 1st I think we'll do it. Manchester City have again filled themselves to the brim with expensive talent and although being strong players I cant see them blending together quickly enough and will drop points early on which they will struggle to get back. Arsenal, despite my personal loathing have not added this year, they still need a goal scorer, Im sorry but Nicolas Bendtner is not that! If they hadn't have kept Fabregas it could have been a lot worse. Liverpool have finally got a good manager after years of flaffing with Benitez, but I dont think he'll keep Torres fit or Gerrard interested enough to mount a solid Champions League push.

3. Tottenham
4. Manchester City
5. Arsenal
6. Liverpool

Behind the top six I predict the battle for the last European place to be between Aston Villa and the Toffees. If you'd asked me this morning who'd be 7th I'd have laughed at you and said Villa but since O'Neills resignation this morning I'm playing Swapsies.

7.Everton
8. Aston Villa

Every season we have a few teams that show early season promise and hang around the midtable for most of the season, usually a new newly promoted team hangs in there as well. I've chosen Stoke and Birmingham due to their impressive home forms, their very talented managers and good squad of players who on their day no-one wants to face. Alongside these I can see Newcastle making a good return to the big time. They came back from the Championship very impresively and will hopefully put in some good performances this season.

9. Birmingham City
10. Newcastle United
11. Stoke City

Now the dross begins, the teams that will struggle week in and week out against the bigger teams and then go on to dire 0-0 draws against each other and make their fans wonder why they spend hundreds on season tickets to see another season of midtable mediocrity. West Ham have finally got rid of their cheeky Italian and replaced him with a man who might actually understand the English game better. Blackburn have a manager who does just that as long as it invloves lots of kicking so they should crunch their way to the happy lower mid table safety soon pretty easily. Sunderland always start brightly and fade off, I can see the same again this year but I think that the pool of players they have should just do the job. The same goes for Bolton, I cannot see why Owen Coyle left the adoration at Burnley to join such a mediocre malstrom as Bolton, same old year in year out and it wont change under Coyle just like it didnt under Megson and I can invisage Coyles days being up before the season ends. I think the loss of Roy will hurt Fulham considerably he was the heart and soul of that teams run in the Europa last year and I cant see them playing that well again this year, I think they will disappoint along with some of their stand outs from last season such as Bobby Zamora and Clint Dempsey.

12. West Ham United
13. Blackburn Rovers
14. Sunderland
15. Bolton Wanderers
16. Fulham

Then to the four lowest teams, I think this will be the bottom four, but in what order?! I'm going to follow my heart and say that I can see West Brom staying up. Theyve done it before and I can see them doing it again. Not just because of their experience and character but also because of the level of opposition down at that end of the table. Blackpool should and will enjoy their moment in the limlight but lowest points ever total looks set to be beaten. I think Wigan are just as hopeless as last season and this year will be really punished by the big and small teams alike. The issue with Wolves is that I just cant see any improvement possible from last season, whereas teams around them will have some. A straight local race to 17th that I cant see McCarthy pulling off this year!

17. West Brom
18. Wolves
19. Wigan
20. Blackpool

Thats my prediction lets see what happens! Hopefully it'll be another good long season!

Other predictions;

Teams promoted from Champtionship in May-QPR, Nottingham Forest and Sheffield United.

FA Cup-Chelsea

League Cup-Arsenal

Champions League-heart says Spurs, head says Real Madrid.

Finally, life begins again properly, and with Virgin getting the Sports HD channels I'm happy for the winter.

To me it could be anyone from Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spuds or, at a push, Liverpool or Man City for the title. I say that as Man Utd don't look particularly great, Chelsea are starting to show their age, Arsenal have all the promise but still not sure we can last the distance. Spurs looking close but, again, not sure they can last. Liverpool will depend if the fans accept Woy giving up on trophies to try and get back into the Champo League. City have the talent but there's too much talent and egos there, could easily see the squad implode and would love it if they did.

Think Everton will be lurking but, sadly, I think Villa are in trouble now O'Neils left as well. As for the rest, it's a real toss up as to who will get relegated, and I love it.

I'm just chuffed Southend are still in business, means I get to watch us play against Barnet on Boxing Day!!!

Come on Football!!!!

Jesus Jake, a man that actually wants Emile Heskey! Really?!

Yes, at Stoke City Football Club we have a position, a role that is specific to this football club. Or more correctly, Mr. Tony Pulis. It's called the Mama Role and it is performed by Mamady Sidibe. Only problem is, Sidibe has been shit in that role for a good two seasons now. The role is simple, hold up the ball and play Fuller in. Even though Sidibe can no longer perform this/his role Pulis still insist on playing him. If he's going to continue doing it then he needs somebody who can do it better, Emile Heskey fills that role.

He doesn't work in most teams, but he'd be perfect for Stoke.

This is how I see the Premier League Table Looking on the Final Day:
(Note I made these Choices Before Yesterdays Games)

1. Manchester United
2. Manchester City
3. Chelsea
4. Arsenal
5. Liverpool
6. Tottenham Hotspur
7. Birmingham City
8. Aston Villa
9. Everton
10. Sunderland
11. Blackburn Rovers
12. Fulham
13. Newcastle United
14. Stoke City
15. West Ham United
16. Bolton Wanderers
17. Wolverhampton Wanderers
18. Wigan Athletic
19. West Bromwich Albion
20. Blackpool

Now onto my thoughts concerning the SPL and Dundee United in-particular.
I think that we'll see a tighter season than the last. Hibs, Aberdeen & Motherwell all appear to have improved since the last season while Dundee United have held onto their star players. Rangers have done little in terms of improving their squad and Celtic seem to have swapped the British based players for more foreign stars. Dundee United look to have more competition for the third spot and we really need to focus on cementing our place there before we can consider ourselves as challengers for second place. Jon Daly as our captain is just odd to me but he scored yesterday against St. Mirren so at least he's still hitting the net. I hope that we can maintain third and scare the Old Firm boys. I see Rangers keeping the SPL Title but only just.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back