2008: Best Wrestling Match So Far?

Edge vs Undertaker - Summerslam

By far the best match of the year and the best feud of the year BY FAR. These two have had the best matches all year and this one did not disappoint.

John Cena vs. Triple H at NOC and John Cena vs Batista could come in after Edge and Undertakers matches at WM, and One Night Stand, but out of the dumb things WWE has done this year . . . this is one feud they got right

I feel the Taker vs Edge match at Wm was brilliant, even though the highlight was Charles Robinson running down the ramp at full pelt. That was hilarious!

Ah yes, Charles Robinson taking forever to run down to the ring because the ramp was that damn long, my friend I still make jokes about that.

But yes, Edge VS The Undertaker at WrestleMania 24 would definately be my choice. That had a lot of good wrestling and even though you know The Undertaker will win, Edge made me believe that he would beat The Undertaker when he kicked out of the Tombstone and was reversing The Undertakers moves. Even though Edge lost, he gained a lot out of that match and it also set up for some more excellent matches in the future as other people have said their encounter at ONS in TLC as MOTY. I think it was a good match but the WrestleMania encounter was a bit better, in my opinion.

I think it also really solidified Edges status as the best heel on SmackDown by being able to really bring it to The Undertaker at a WrestleMania.

There's two that I remember very well. First was that classic of the HIAC 6 days ago. Those two made the match sound exactly as it should. Those two were in hell with each other. The beating that they gave one another was nothing short of classic. Taker went nuts in there and the beating that he gave Edge at the end was nothing short of epic. That feud is over, plain and simple, which is what a gimmick match like that is supposed to accomplish.

And now for my complete wild card: The fatal 4 way from ECW with Matt Hardy, Miz, Morrison and Finlay. I had already read the spoilers and this match grabbed my attention. These four guys put on an absolute gem out there. False finish after false finish, leading up to what was apparently the wrong ending. It worked very well though, wiht the match never letting up. Great bout, without a moment of boringness.

Gotta disagree Irish. Cena vs. Batista was good, but the Hell in the Cell match was simply epic.

It saw the ending of a feud that surely put finality to the best feud of the year, if not the best feud of the last five years.

The match was amazing from bell to bell, and then some. Edge has finally gone full circle in his heel run, going back to being the mad man he once was, if not even more psychotic then ever. Does anyone ever remember the last time someone got into the ring, and was enjoying being there with the Undertaker? I remember, and that man was Mick Foley. Edge made you believe he was just as sick, if not more sick, then Foley ever was, which said a lot.

Plus, this cell proved another thing, someone doesn't have to juice to make this match good. First time I think ever that no one bladed. Sure there was blood, but the blood in this match was done the hard way. The hardcore elements of this match weren't so ridiculous and over the top as say the Batista vs. Triple H over rated Cell match was, and wasn't as long winded and boring as the Michaels Triple H match, this match was just as good as the first Cell match, if not better.

It showed to guys, so desperate to be rid of the other, that they started to become the other. Both guys began using the others move to finish them off because they couldn't beat them as them self. The Undertaker had to become Edge to finally be rid of Edge. This match had fantastic story telling to it, and spectacular spots in it as well. Clearly this match was match of the year, and it's not even close.

Surely MOTY should go to Santino v Kelly Kelly? No? Ok, ok then obviously it goes to Summerslam's 5 star, grade A wrestling clinic match......... Mark Henry v Matt Hardy? No? Really? What about JBL v Colin Delaney? Well then surely it should go to the best World Heavyweight title match that they've ever had in the 24 year history of Wrestlemania....... yeah...... that's right...... you know what i'm talking about...... the best slobberknocker, highest rated rocketbuster of all time, where the champ and challenger left it all in the ring......... Kane v Chavo Guerrero? WTF?........

Sorry, had to do it.

All jokes aside..........

Eithier Edge And TAker Ons Or The Hell In A Cell This Was The Best Feud In The Last 5 Years And Probably The 2nd Best Hiac Ever Behind Foley And Taker

Dunno if i agree with the final part of that statement. Much like Taker v Batista HIAC and Taker v Orton HIAC, it was more or less a Street Fight with a cage. Yes they went outside of the cage for the first time in what must be 5 years now, but just to do a spear off of one table to another was pretty lame. Don't get me wrong the spot was good, but i'd prefer to have seen Edge get chokeslammed through the cell at the end than have him chokeslammed off a ladder (which must have only been about 3 foot shorter than the actual roof) through what was clearly a hole in the ring. The fact that there was no thud to make it sound like Edge had crashed through wood instead of just through the canvas ruined that spot and then the flames were just stupid, just, just stupid. What exactly is Edge gonna say when he comes back? " Satan and i became great friends and he let me come back, and now Taker, i have the same powers as youooooooooo....." and start throwing lightning around as well? Going through the ring was enough, the flames tainted a solid match, but i don't consider it MOTY by any means, and here's why.

I may be wrong, and may have to watch the match again (well i will anyway because i did enjoy it), but it seemed to me that Taker did fuck all in that match. Edge literally beat the holy high hell out of Taker repeatedly and then from out of nowhere in very quick succession it was chokeslam through the tables, camera to the face, con-chair-to, tombstone piledriver and there was a spear by Taker in there somewhere as well. Taker seemed to play the crash test dummy for 20 minutes and then dished out a restaraunt quality beat down in less than 5.

For the best match of the year so far, i'd probably go with the Orton v Cena v HHH triple threat at WM. Had some excellent spots like the cross body to Cena off of HHH's shoulders, the double elevated DDT by Orton + the ending was just sublime. I doubt few people actually thought Randy would walk out with the belt and it looked like he was going to be the ex-champ until the punt kick and then 3 seconds later it was over. Be-eautiful.

I don't know why but something compels me not to name a gimmick match as the best match, otherwise i'd probably say the RAW EC, or HBK v Batista stretcher match. I wouldn't say Taker/Edge TLC because apart from the result, it was far too predictable. There's been a load of tv matches that have been awesome too, mostly with Jeff Hardy, Shelton Benjamin and Kennedy as i recall but couldn't be specific.

I don't know why, but i get the feeling that SD's championship scramble will b a good contender for match of the year as well. I hope my pick has changed by December 31st

For me, the choice comes down to two matches. First is the amazing HIAC we saw at Summerslam. I was on the edge of my seat almost the whole time. It was the best HIAC I've seen. I dissagree with people who say the flames tainted a good match, I think it only solidified the end of an awsome fued.

My second choice would have to be Shawn Micheals vs Ric flair at WM 24. Two of the best in the buisness went all out to make Ric Flair's last match a memorable one. The wrestling was great, but what stood out the most for me was the raw emotion shown by both of them. That really added to it.

So I'm not really sure which one was better. Honorable mention goes to Randy Orton vs Jeff hardy at the Royal Rumble. Both guys were great, I really thought Jeff had the title won, oh well.

For me it was Edge vs Undertaker at Wrestlemania. The action was fast paced and there was a lot of times where I though the streak was ended! (When Edge speared the Undertaker right at the end). Though I think the way the match ended was a lot dissapointing. (Come on!). The Edge heads intefering and getting the crap beaten out was very funny. (BTW why cannot I make a new topic?)

Edge vs. Undertaker Hell in a Cell... by far.

That match had everything and there wasn't a dull part in the match. Both wrestlers worked so hard to put on an incredible match. Unlike in TNA, they know how to use weapons and make each chair shot, use of a table, etc. seem important. The booking of the match was just... nearly perfect especially with Taker snapping at the end and doing Edge's moves like the spear, taking the camera and hitting Edge in the face like Edge did to Taker in the Hell in a Cell match between Taker/Batista.

I had friends/family over for both WrestleMania and SummerSlam. While the whole WrestleMania event was fun and the people here had fun watching it I don't any match compared to Taker/Edge Hell in a Cell. All of us were on the edge of our seats watching it.

Ric Flair vs Michaels - Mania

The match was amazing... It had all the elements an epic showcase should have.... Michaels showcased his high flying skills... Flair showed us he still had a few tricks up his sleeve..We were treated to that very nice springboard onto the announce table... Followed by a moonsault by Michaels that missed flair by a mile...

The match may not have been perfect in terms of performance.. But overall it had all the keys... The amazing buildup.. The emotion...The action

That to me makes an amazing match..And considering everything involved..That's my 5* match of 2008

(hi guys, it's been a while, isn't it?)
2008 has been a year with lots of good wrestling action, and personally, the best matches are 3:

3.- HBK vs Ric Flair -Mania 24:
In terms of sentimental value, this match is something that should be sold in a separate, special edition DVD. The career of one of the greatest, ended by another legend of the biz. The final moments were simply awe inspiring: watching an almost tearful Flair asking for some more punishment is an image that is still in my mind and that Sweet Chin Music was epic.

2.- Undertaker vs Edge - Mania 24:
Though the build of the match was one of the worst things i've seen in a while, these two gentlemen delivered 100% pure entertainment. Needless to say, whoever watched the last 5 minutes of the match seated, clearly was too drunk or didnt watch mania. Not a match for "the ages" (besides of Taker's streak, of course...) because that match is....

1.- Undertaker vs Edge - ONS (TLC)
Two words (which fit exactly): HOLY SHIT! Let me tell you, this was one of those epic moments that you will see in years to come in endless DVDs compilations. who else thought that Taker were going to lose that match? i mean, "La familia" is a boring angle IMO so I understand that Ryder, hawkins, Bam and even chavo, all these guys need some big exposure, then, what could possibly go wrong where you are interfering a match with 2 of the top 5 wrestlers in the biz?
The result was an epic match, full of spots, old school moves, back and forth action, everything that a wrestling fan can expect for their money.

Honorable mention: Taker vs Edge - Summerslam (HIAC) Sick match overall. I dont know if it was taker or edge's fault, but that final chokeslam was horrible executed and killed the climax IMO. the flames added a little of shock value though. Also, i didnt like the spot when Edge speared taker through the cell. spear looked kinda botched.

and for the record: i think the best match is yet to come. (see: possible hbk vs Jericho at survivor series, nothing to be surprised of, considering that HBK has been in the MOTY for the last 4 years)

I think that Wrestlemania with Flair vs Michaels was the best so far. Just everything that was riding on that match. The "I'm sorry.....I love you." Yes, wrestling is scripted, it's planned, whatever you want to say. At that moment, everything became real. That moment sent chills all around me.

I think one match that has been getting overlooked a lot, and I'm not sure if it was at the end of last year or this year, but leading up to the Royal Rumble. Jeff Hardy in a cage vs Umaga. That Whisper in the Wind from the top and the look on Orton's face made it that great a match, and really helped Hardy grow with the fans. Looking back it honestly made me the most excited to watch because I did not know what would happen. I think it deserves to be considered the best. Definitely the best non-PPV match

Now after watching the three Taker/Edge matches at WM24, ONS and Summerslam, I've come to the conclusion that the best of the three for me personally, and thus also best match of the year, would be WM24.

Why?

Well, it's quite simple - needless to say, the TLC match had a very spectacular ending spot, and no one thought Taker was gonna lose, and the HIAC was good as well... but the thing is, it is not THAT hard to create a good match with those two gimmicks. In both TLC and HIAC you have a ton of options with the weapons and what not to go over the top. I mean, Edge and Taker both pulled out all the stops in those two matches too, and especially the HIAC was great when Taker went for the spear... But I believe it is that much harder to really put on a match of epic proportions if you have "only" a regular singles match encounter.

But WM24 was just that, and here also both men went all out, they did a ton of nice false finishes and good transitions, and the fact that they were so evenly matched throughout the whole bout really made the match remarkable, and reminded me of the glorious encounters of Steve Austin and The Rock, where you just never would know how it would end (even if Taker's streak made his win a lot more likely - the match itself never looked like that). So I have to go with the WM24 match, a very worthy 'Mania headlining match and easily one of the best I've seen in a long time. Both TLC and HIAC were very good as well, but it was this time the gimmick-lessness of the match that did it for me.

On a close second, I'd give the nod to HBK vs Flair. Even if Flair looked really really old in that match, he still managed to deliver an incredible match that was in fact a lot better than what some of the younger guys put out; and considering his age, some of the things he did in that match(like a flying cross body off the top, that for once in his life worked) were nothing short of awesome. Plus of course a brilliant partner in HBK, who could make him look good in even his lesser moments did the rest to make the last match of a legend truly something worth remembering, instead of something that seemed washed up or sorry. Ric Flair could be The Nature Boy one last time, and could be it really really well thanks to HBK - and the great finish with the shot of Michaels before he "pulled the trigger", before Flair once again somehow scrambles back to his feet with his fists raised and tears in his eyes - that was simply priceless and will go down in the annals of the Greatest Moments in Wrestling ever, along with such memories like Hogan bodyslamming Andre, or Hogan squaring off with The Rock at WM18, or Austin battling Rock for a very last time at WM19. For that match, my friends, was once again what wrestling is truly all about - being larger than life, making dreams come true when in any "real" life they would just pop like a bubble; by being a spectacle, by being a drama, by having this cathargic effect I so often talk about. Truly a great great moment, and a great match in and of itself.

Flair vs Michaels was the best so far. The "I'm sorry.....I love you." It just made the whole match feel 10 times more important than it already was...the excitement the emotion the action it was all there i was about to shed tears if it werent for my friends to be around at the moment..but this in my eyes is the moty so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back