Papa Shango

Frontman of the WZ Band!!
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 1990's Bracket Finals

Schindler's List

schindlers-list-DVDcover.jpg

vs.

Forrest Gump

510018~Forrest-Gump-Posters.jpg

As a reminder, there will be NO voting polls this round. In order to vote, you must leave a NON-SPAM post, with your vote in bold, and your reason for voting for that movie. Voting will be open until Friday, when the threads will be closed and the votes given a final tally.

both of these movies gave a amazing back story. i will go out on a limb here and vote for Schindlers list. this movie cant suck if you have not seen it first off. the drama is so great i cried i wont lie. it deals with the Holacaust now this movie was so moving because it was about a man who was with the Nazis. he ran a concentration camp. he killed thousands. but once he saw what was going on and what he was doing he changed his ways and saved millions without even being claimed a hero. he saved lives that he was suppose to destroy. this movie is so moving and deserves to be here. it wins because of the fact that it was based on real history one and a real person two.
Gump while great in its own right is fiction and is seen through the eyes of a mentally handicap man. the list is far more moving and makes you fell like you were there to witness it yourself.

Here's a funny story.

While I was writing up my BigWill-sized disertation on Schindler's List, I was doing so believing full well that I was going to be voting for Forrest Gump anyway. I told myself "Gump was a better film, with a better story." The reason I had to do the write up was to extol the film to those who had never seen it, despite my firm belief that it is the most important movie of the last 30 years, possibly ever.

And then something strange happened.

I DRANK MY OWN KOOL-AID!

I looked back on the movie and did some extended research on it. I remembered it. It brought me back to how I felt when I first saw the film, and I remembered just how emotional and how impactful that film was. It can teach generations of young people of the horrors that simple bigotry caused.

Forrest Gump was an infinitely more fun and entertaining film. But Schindler's List is a far more important film, and for that, I vote for Schindler's List.

I love both films and hope whichever moves on wins the whole thing. In the end I choose to vote for the film that I have been supporting since day 1, and that's Schindler's List!

Forest Gump is a great story and Tom Hanks really shines in the film. I was entertained by it, but Schindler's List moved me in a way that Gump didn't. The movie is a masterpeice in all aspects(writing, directing, acting, sound, ect), with Neeson giving an amazing performance that should have gotten him an Oscar. Gump is heartfelt in it's own way but I just enjoyed the Schindler's List more and believe it is the superior film(even though Gump is a fave of mine aswell).

Here's how the films stack up:Schindler's List:
12 Acadmey Award Nominations(Won 7 including Picture & Director, Liam Neeson lost to Tom Hank's in Philadelphia)
Made 321.2 Million Dollars at the Box Office
96% fresh rating on Rotten Tomato(reviews from critics and fans alike)
#8 on AFI(American Film Institue Best films of all time)

Forest Gump:
13 Academy Award Nominations(won 6 including Picture, director, and actor)
Made 677 Million dollars at the box office
72% fresh rating on Rotten Tomato(reviews from critics and fans alike)
#76 on AFI(American Film Institue Best films of all time)

Forrest Gump.

To me, its much more difficult to make up your own story and try to weave your own thoughts and skills into something original rather than to just do what is essentially a documentary that doesn't break the fourth wall. Schindler's List is the latter. Sure, horrible time in our history, interesting subject...but that doesn't necessarily mean its a great film off the bat. There have been plenty of films that deal with real-life situations and they're just tanking in creativity and, well, worth. Schindler's List is better than those, no doubt.

But see, if you analyze it, there's a rift. In most categories, they can essentially be equals. Good acting, good direction, good visual look, good blah blah blah. However, what's easier to do...a research paper when you're given all the information and you just need to format it into your own words, or if your assignment is to just use your imagination to create something that will itself become a part of history?

That is where Gump trips Schindler in their race and leaves it in the dust, because it was something original and SL wasn't so much better than Gump that it negates the fact.

Forrest Gump.

Im going to vote against schindlers list out of spite. If there is anything I absolutely despise its people overkilling something, and trying to suffocate you with their opinion. For fucks sake, just becuase its old, slow, boring as fuck and shows a bunch of messed up shit doesnt mean I HAVE to vote for it over an incredible movie that I love. fuck that. its the HBK/Bret Hart ironman match syndrome at its finest. I find the Gumb-Bubba relationship and how it ends, tons more moving than I do anything in schindlers list. As Xfear so excellenntly put it, anyone who has any kind of education on the holocaust new what was coming. if you want some fucked up shit on the holocaust, read the book "crystal nacht". Forrest Gump FTW.

Forrest Gump.

To me, its much more difficult to make up your own story and try to weave your own thoughts and skills into something original rather than to just do what is essentially a documentary that doesn't break the fourth wall. Schindler's List is the latter. Sure, horrible time in our history, interesting subject...but that doesn't necessarily mean its a great film off the bat. There have been plenty of films that deal with real-life situations and they're just tanking in creativity and, well, worth. Schindler's List is better than those, no doubt.

But see, if you analyze it, there's a rift. In most categories, they can essentially be equals. Good acting, good direction, good visual look, good blah blah blah. However, what's easier to do...a research paper when you're given all the information and you just need to format it into your own words, or if your assignment is to just use your imagination to create something that will itself become a part of history?

That is where Gump trips Schindler in their race and leaves it in the dust, because it was something original and SL wasn't so much better than Gump that it negates the fact.

Forrest Gump.

I actually would like to point out that your "originality" argument isn't all that good, seeing as Forrest Gump is an adaptation of a novel of the same name. True, there are some major differences between the film and the book, but I think those differences make the film actually less original. The book is not a sentimental one. Forrest Gump is not nearly as sweet, charming, or likable. In fact, he's quite cynical and abrasive. And he's not ******ed, he's actually a savant. So, the film adaptation takes this character and completely spins him around, they add all sorts of the typical Hollywood "feel-good" ingredients. Forrest Gump the book is like a good lemon. Sure it has a sour taste, but it still tastes good. Forrest Gump, the film, is a poorly made batch of lemonade. They added way too much water and sugar.

Schindler's List.

Forrest Gump, while a great movie, has lost some of it's quirkiness that made it great. Whether it be the cynical nature I view the movie in now, I'm not sure.

Schindler's List won't lose the impact it had. Sure it's long, sure it's very self aware, but that shouldn't effect this movie. Yes, we know the holocaust happens, and yes we know the ultimate fate of most of the characters, but that didn't stop other movies based on real life events from being any less impactful either. Hell, the most successful movie of the last 50 years was Titanic, and everyone knew what was going to happen then.

So My vote is for Schindler's List. I love Forrest Gump, I really do, but it doesn't matchup at all to what Schindler's List brings tot he table.

Forrest Gump
Well I would like to pick Forrest Gump here. I have nothing to say negatively about either movie. In fact I have had in depth conversations about both movies with some friends. Both movies will last forever and be influential for years to come. But what it all came down to for me was this. Schindler's List is one of the reason's why I love history. My future is based around history. But Forrest Gump contains more social history than Schindler's List, a field I am narrowing in on. All in all, Forrest Gump is just the better movie.

I have to go with Schindler's List, but it's close.

Forrest Gump is without a doubt a tremendous film, but it doesn't have the impact on you Schindler's List has.

Schindler's List is one of the greatest movies of all time and my favorite Spielberg film outside of Empire of the Sun. There are other movies I would vote over this, but Forrest Gump, while a great, great film, just isn't one of them. IC has already wonderfully gone over what makes Schindler's List so spectacular, so I'll just add that Schindler's List was also Spielberg finally walking away from his Peter Pan, shark, dinosaur, alien and other kiddy fascinations, and he did a hell of a job doing it. Most writer/directors who make that transition, more often then not, fail miserably, but Spielberg showed his range with this film and it couldn't have been better for him. It’s ten times the movie The Color Purple is in my opinion and like I said, one of the greatest movies of all time.

Also, and this is just my extreme dorkiness coming out (a lot just might consider it gay, lol), but one of my favorite scenes in television history was brought to me mainly because of Schindler's List. I am a huge, huge Dawson's Creek fan. Now, for those of you not familiar with the show, the main character Dawson is an inspiring film maker who heavily admires Steven Spielberg. Now, in the show's pilot, at the very end of the program, there is this tremendous moment that revolves around the characters of Dawson and his best friend Joey (who is a girl, by the way; she just has a boy's name) where they're talking about to growing up and Joey says, "We're growing up, that's all. I mean even Spielberg outgrew his Peter Pan syndrome." She says this while very quickly pointing at a poster (which you don't see; also keep in mind that it seems Dawson has nearly every Spielberg film poster ever made hanging all around his room). So anyway, they get in this argument about where Joey says they're getting too old to talk about "everything" anymore and too old to sleep in each other's bed every night, and Dawson completely disagrees with her. So, to prove her point, Joey says if you can tell me anything, how many times a day do you *********e (she actually said "Walk the dog" but *********ing is what she meant by it). Dawson can't answer so she hops out of the window and starts to go home. Dawson then gets up and bangs his head on the Schindler's List poster, which you now clearly see is the poster Joey pointed at and is completely symbolic of people growing up, and then heads for the window to yell out the answer to Joey's question. It is an awesome fucking scene. Well acted, and revolved completely around about how this movie, Schindler's List, was Spielberg’s ticket to growing up.

Schindler's List

I'm voting for Schindler's List this round. Everything about it is just all around better than Forrest Gump. Tom Hanks', portrayal of Forrest Gump may be more iconic, and I'm not denying that it isn't a good performance, but Liam Neeson as Oskar Schindler is one of the best performances of our times. Add to it the powerful supporting performances from Ralph Fiennes and Sir Ben Kingsley, and Schindler's List edges out Gump in the acting department. Everything about this film is powerful, and really makes you think. I urge everyone who hasn't seen this movie to see it, just once. You will not be entertained. You will not feel good watching it. But you will appreciate what you see, and the context. Strangely, I did not cry until the very, very end. Once you see the movie, I think you'll know why.

Schindler's List is a more important film, and probably one of the most if not THE most important film of all time. But it was very boring. Forrest Gump was a great movie that had you rolling with emotions from sad to happy to crying to jubilance. Schindler's List left me feeling one emotion...Heartbreak. I see movies to be entertained. Not for cultural significance or anything else. So for that I have to vote for Forrest Gump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back