Frontman of the WZ Band!!
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 1990's Bracket;
Round 4, Match 2

Saving Private Ryan

saving_private_ryan.jpg

vs.

Forrest Gump

510018~Forrest-Gump-Posters.jpg

I pretty much said before why I'm not as big of a fan of Saving Private Ryan as I am of other films, and it essentially boils down to how I think the best part about it is the cinematography in the opening fight sequence, and then the rest of the film goes downhill. Whereas Forrest Gump, the entire film from beginning to end is amazing. I'm not really sure what else to say by now.

Forrest Gump.

yeah Forrest Gump wins for me to. this film had it all. won a lot of awards and is one of my favorite movies ever. saving private ryan just cant compete all around if you ask me.
Hanks just does a great job of giving us a visual of a mans life through war and his whole life almost like were right there with him. with a side of good humor to.

Two Tom Hanks movies that involve war. One is a great story that parallels World War 2, and the invasion of Normandy by the Allied troops. The other is the inspirational journey of one man in the south of America. It is a hard choice, Saving Private Ryan is a great film, great cinematography, great storyline, and all that jazz. But it does not match up with Forrest Gump. I think Forrest is the greatest story line ever in a movie, it will make you laugh, it will make you cry, it will affect you like no movies.

i go with Saving Private Ryan. I enjoyed Forrest Gump a lot, but really feel strongly that it should have lost to Silence of the Lambs. It's a nice movie, but Saving Private Ryan is a fucking great movie. Both tellt he stories of a generation, but the World War II story is a better story then the Baby Boomer Story.

I'm torn on this one. Both are fantastic movies. Both have great performances by Tom Hanks. I love war movies. Essentially because I like to see the direction that the director takes them. Then again Forrest Gump had war and it also had a struggle for a guy trying to find a place for himself. It had comedy, drama, emotion. Everything that makes a good movie, plus a fantastic cast. Forrest Gump gets this one for me, but only by a close margin.

This isn't nearly as close as people make it out to be. Forrest Gump is a thinly veiled Hollywood "feel good" movie. In fact, the only way they were able to sell the movie was to completely change the core of the character. I'm about to drop a bomb on you, kiddies. Santa ain't real- The REAL Forrest Gump, the one from the novel and the original scripts, is not a sweet, naive man with a low IQ. He is an abrasive, cynical, slightly crude autistic savant. Try putting THAT guy in the film, and it ruins the magic. The whole movie hinges on the studio hoping you pity a ******. Only an actor the caliber of Tom Hanks could have made that movie work. Forrest Gump is more of a testament to the actors (Hanks, Gary Sinise, Robin Wright Penn), then to being an actually great film.

Saving Private Ryan, however, IS an acheivement in modern film making. Yes, the opening sequence is the most intense. The movie never quite reaches that same intensity. And for some reason it's had it's detractors in this tournament for that sole reason. The entire film is gripping. I find it funny that it LOSES points with some people, just because the first scene in the film happens to be the greatest sequence ever filmed in the history of film, and the rest of the film just happens to be fantastic, just not on the EPIC scale of the first scene.

I was torn here, should I vote Tom Hanks or Tom Hanks! From an acting point of view, I think Forest Gump is one of the greatest acting roles ever done. As a movie I think Gump is far superior. One movie is basically one storyline, and one time. Gump has so many different characters and is a wonderful history lesson. I go with Gump!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back