Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 1980's Bracket;
Round 1, Match 4

Raging Bull
ragingbull.gif

Vs.

Blue Velvet
Blue-Velvet-Poster-C10080070.jpeg

I am not a Laura Dern fan by any stretch. I did not like Blue Velvet at all.

Raging Bull is a classic, and it is still shown. DeNiro has more talent that the entire cast of the other movie. Blue Velvet seems like a throw in. Raging Bull should go far, but ultimately, the 80's are a tough bracket.

I've actually never seen "Blue Velvet", but I've watched "Raging Bull" more times then I can count. It's a fucking classic and one of my all time favorite movies. De Niro gives one of his best performances ever in it (it could be argued it's his best period, but I'm not sure if I want to put it past "Taxi Driver"), and Joe Pesci is spectacular in it like he is in everything. Also, the chick in it, Cathy Moriarty, was fantastic as well, and I believe that was one of her first movies ever. The fact she never did anything after that worth noting (besides "Kindergarden Cop", lol) is a shame because she was not only very beautiful, but seemed to have a ton of talent in that picture as well.

But yeah… “Raging Bull” is awesome. Scorsese did a tremendous job telling LaMotta’s story and this derseves to go very far in this tournament.

I'm going with the crowd here and saying Raging Bull. While I prefer Rocky, Raging Bull is hardly secondary. De Niro was dead on and told a story that not a lot of people may have heard of before seeing the movie. This is seen as Scorsese's best, and that's an amazing thign to say for possibly the best director of all time. Blue Velvet was good, but its just in over its head here.

Raging Bull. Deniro like I said before is a GOD among men. This is one of the best sports films of all time. God knows I love me some boxing films too. Blue Velvet I thought was god awful. I have no fear that Raging Bull goes over here. As well as far into the tournament. Raging Bull pulls no punches...pun intended. RB all the way.

I love Raging Bull, I really do. Against most anything else I would vote for it, with maybe the exception of Die Hard. But I'm going against the grain and voting for Blue Velvet. Hopefully this can stir up some discussion.

I really was hoping to give Blue Velvet a chance in this thing, and I'm afraid this may be my only chance to do it. Blue Velvet is easily one of the best, most influential, and yet also possibly one of the most under-appreciated films of the 80's.

For those of you who don't know, Blue Velvet is a mystery neo-noir film directed by David Lynch, starring Isabella Rosselini, Kyle MacLachlan, Laura Dern, and Dennis Hopper, about a young man named Jeffery who happens upon a severed ear in his neighborhood. After deciding to investigate the ear on his own, he stumbles upon a criminal underworld gang, run by Frank Booth, an eccentric, sadistic, gas-huffing sociopath who has kidnapped a man and his son, and is holding them hostage in exchange for bizarre sexual favors from the man's wife Dorothy. Jeffery finds himself with no way out except to help Dorothy and bring down Booth.

It's a classic neo-noir tale with all the best David Lynch has in him. It's gritty, dark, surreal, nightmarish, disturbing, thrilling, and masterful. It's style and design have influenced essentially every neo-noir, every thriller, every crime film, in one way or the other, since it's release.

If there is any film in this tournament that you have yet to see, THIS is the one you MUST seek out.

I cannot find a good enough trailer (80's trailers all sucked). And I don't want to post any clips, because I don't wanna give too much away. Just trust me. Look it up on your own. Rent it. Buy it. Borrow it from a friend. Find it on the internet. But WATCH IT.

I am not a Laura Dern fan by any stretch. I did not like Blue Velvet at all.

Raging Bull is a classic, and it is still shown. DeNiro has more talent that the entire cast of the other movie. Blue Velvet seems like a throw in. Raging Bull should go far, but ultimately, the 80's are a tough bracket.

DeNiro is one of the most talented actors of all time, but I'd hardly call a cast including Dennis Hopper, Brad Dourif, and Isabella Rossalini suspect.

And Blue Velvet a "throw in"? Are you even slightly aware of the impact that film has had on the movie industry?

Raging Bull is a classic. It's amazing. It's one of the greatest films of all time.

But Blue Velvet has something Raging Bull doesn't. Originality. There have been dozens of films just like Raging Bull since the dawn of film. The great thing about it was how well it was done.

But Blue Velvet on the other hand; there's nothing like it. It creates its own universe.

Blue Velvet is getting written off by 9/10ths of the people here simply because it's facing Robert DeNiro and Martin Scorsese. I guarantee 90% of the people that say Blue Velvet doesn't even touch Raging Bull haven't even seen the film. Or maybe it was too complex for them, and not enough things blowing up to keep their attention.

Raging Bull is great. But it's overrated. It's not even one of Scorsese's top 3 films. And it's certainly not better then Blue Velvet.

Raging Bull is an excellent film. Along with Taxi Driver and Goodfellas, this film is the reason why people consider Scorsese to be one of America's greatest directors. And, I will always hold a grudge against AMPAS for giving the Best Picture to Ordinary People over Raging Bull in 1980.

However, Blue Velvet is my second favorite film of all time (right behind Michael Mann's Heat), and not without reason. Only someone like David Lynch could so uniquely juxtapose and subsequently entangle the naive and innocent facets of American life with their seamier and more violent counterparts to create a film that shows us the all-encompassing "grayness" we enter into when we reach adulthood (although, admittedly, the film seems to end on a "white" note). And, while I think Raging Bull matches up quite nicely with Blue Velvet in terms of its execution, I think it (only to a moderate degree) pales in comparison to the imaginative and daring nature of Blue Velvet. Hence, why I chose Blue Velvet.

I'll go with Raging Bull. It's not the best sports moving in the tournament, because of Rocky. Its not the best Martin Scorsese moving in the tornament because of The Goodfellas. Its not the best De Niro movie because of Taxi Driver, and it's not close to being the best moving in the 80s. But it is better than Blue Velvet. Both movies deserve to be in the top 32, and both should have a good fight to see which is the better of these two movies.

There's not really a wrong choice here. But I think it probably all comes down to which is more iconic, which had the biggest impact, or possibly just popularity. Scorsese is by far the bigger name director. But would Raging Bull be his most popular film? I doubt it. But you can almost guarantee that the most popular Lynch film is Blue Velvet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back