Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 1970's Bracket;
Round 1, Match 14
A Clockwork Orange
a-clockwork-orange.jpg

Vs.

Halloween
halloween-movie-poster.jpg

Right here we have a pair of classic scary movies. Clockwork Orange is straight up justin'ed up. Its a classic still though. An all around head trip, but still incredibly enjoyable. If you're up for a random as hell movie, this is it.

However, its up against what might be the greatest scary movie of all time. There is almost no blood in the entire film, but there is the most eerie feeling imaginable watching this movie. It is flat out chilling. The music is perfect and there's a nearly unstoppable killer. Halloween wins, but its not as much of a beating as it seems it would be.

Oh hands down 100% I can't see how Halloween beats A Clockwork Orange.

So many people claim that Halloween is one of the best horror films out there, but man, I couldn't disagree more. I have a tendency to hate horror films, I'll flat out say it, so I always have a bias going into it. The slasher ones especially get no respect from me. They're just a massive bore. So when I heard that Halloween was "not like the rest of them", I decided to give it a shot. Mind you, I was a child the first time I saw most of these films, including Halloween, and it didn't scare me in the slightest bit. I tried watching it again when I was 16 and again, nothing. What's so scary about a guy who is walking around in broad daylight and when you turn around, he isn't there, like 5 times in a row? He's damn near beaten by a clothing hanger?? Then, he's a normal guy and he's shot and falls a decent distance and still survives? Give me a break. Unnecessary sequel pandering. I'll give it credit for having an AWESOME theme song, though.

A Clockwork Orange is lasagna compared to the empty ravioli of Halloween. There are so many layers of it that work. Whether its painting a portrait of a dismal future, showing the Brutus/Caesar relationship of the gang, just being a study of sick human nature (Singing in the Rain, anybody?) being hilarious (that sex scene in fast motion haha), or examining whether or not torture can lead to redemption...the film is a bit tough to get through at times due to its length and how its dated through technology, but still, I think the fact that it has that foreign sense to it makes it all the more eerie. "I was cured all right."

A Clockwork Orange.

A Clockwork Orange wins this easily, and that's no offense to John Carpenter. He made a classic with Halloween. But A Clockwork Orange is one of Stanley Kubrick's all time best. Alex DeLarge is one of the best movie anti-heroes of all time. A lot of people say that Kubrick was a egomaniac, and that it never showed more than when only his name appeared in the beginning credits. But that's because he directed, produced AND wrote the adapted screenplay. I'll get more into the theme and deeper underlying greatness of the film in the next round. But for now, I'll just say that A Clockwork Orange may be one of the smartest and fiercest satires of all time.

A Clockwork Orange wins this easily, and that's no offense to John Carpenter. He made a classic with Halloween. But A Clockwork Orange is one of Stanley Kubrick's all time best. Alex DeLarge is one of the best movie anti-heroes of all time. A lot of people say that Kubrick was a egomaniac, and that it never showed more than when only his name appeared in the beginning credits. But that's because he directed, produced AND wrote the adapted screenplay. I'll get more into the theme and deeper underlying greatness of the film in the next round. But for now, I'll just say that A Clockwork Orange may be one of the smartest and fiercest satires of all time.

All true, but having read the book, it pales in comparison for me. This movie is great, but to compare it to the book isn't fair I don't think. Halloween at the time shook up a lot. A movie like this hadn't really been done before. The influence it has is insane. It built the idea of atmosphere in a movie. It is the original slasher movie to an extent. Unstoppable killer and a high body count. Clockwork Orange is great but not as influential.

I don't know why you say it pales in comparison. It's a very close adaptation, save a few minor details added or removed here and there. And of course, the final chapter isn't in the film, but that's because the original American publication didn't have Chapter 21, and that's the version Kubrick owned and was inspired by. By the time Kubrick learned of the lost chapter, the screenplay was almost finished and the movie was ready to start production. I agree with Kubrick's assesment that the final chapter is a little unrealistic in it's sudden resolve within Alex to change, however there are times when I feel that without the final chapter, the movie doesn't quite come into the same full circle as the book. But in the end, both deliver the same message, that virtue must be taught and accepted, it cannot be forced.

Idk I'm always just a fan of the book over the film i suppose. Clockwork Orange is still a great movie and Delarge is just freaking creepy. The rape scene still gives me chills (what was that song?) Its a classic movie and Kubrick at his best, but still I would take Halloween. It was one of those films that didn't require a lot of thinking to it, which I usually prefer over deeper films. There was a bad guy and a girl running scared. Classic entertainment to me. Granted, both are. Just to clarify, I'm in no way saying this is a beatdown. It could be one of the closest matches.

Idk I'm always just a fan of the book over the film i suppose.
Oh God, not one of THOSE people lol.
Clockwork Orange is still a great movie and Delarge is just freaking creepy. The rape scene still gives me chills (what was that song?)
Singin' in the Rain. And it was completely improvised by Malcolm McDowell. They were filming the scene and Kubrick, a notorious perfectionist, wasn't pleased with how stiff and "boring" the scene was. He said it needed something really bring out the vile and sociopathic nature of the rape. So McDowell broke into Singin' in the Rain. And it's now one of the most chilling sequences you'll ever see.

In my opinion, The Clockwork Orange movie just never captured the power nor the energy of that the book possessed. Although I will give it credit for trying, as the movie wasn't bad, it just came up short in long run. The storyline had already become synonyms with most of the audience going to see it because the book caused so much controversy and chaos. But in defense of the film, in the time period that it was made, the directors of the film were looking were looking to recreate an accurate adaptation of the book but found that they couldn't because it would be way too violent and extreme for the theaters, so they had to water parts of the story down. The movie gets by on special effects, and while the effects are good, I (being such a fan of the book) never thought that the movie did the book justice

The original Halloween has always been one of my favorites, though both its plot and its storyline are inferior to A Clockwork Orange. Even though I never really did think that the Clockwork Orange movie did the book any justice, it doesn't mean that the movie wasn't a basic recreation of the book. I've changed my mind, I'm going to give my vote to A Clockwork Orange.

What kills halloween here is the fact that its storyline and plot are both inferior to ACO and the effects are about the same. ACO is violent and twisted, just as much if not more so than Halloween.

Just like in the slasher tournament, I am voting for Halloween. Michael is the greatest horror movie character of all time. He will slash his way into the next round. A Clockwork Orange is a well made movie, I haven't read the book, had a friend who read it and she raved about it, so I can't even compare the two. The film just doesn't have that mass appeal that Halloween has. ACO might be the more creative movie, but Halloween is just better.

Halloween has had the problem that most horror films do. The sequels. There's no way you can have over 5 sequels and not diminish the original somewhat. Great film, but if I absolutley had to pick one, it would be Orange. A film set in the future, but a film that never tries to make it look like anything other than the 70's.

A Clockwork Orange, hands down. Malcolm McDowell was tons scarier and messed up than a guy wearing a painted William Shatner mask...seriously, Halloween is really just a slasher, but ACO is a seriously disturbing piece of film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back