¿Sami o Generico?

• Sami Zayn

• El Generico

• Other?

Results are only viewable after voting.

cm ben

Pre-Show Stalwart
zg.jpg

A few months ago, word came out that independent superstar El Generico signed to WWE, and seconds later, the IWC began questioning how the company would screw this one up. Matching expectations, WWE dropped his extremely over gimmick--masked Mexican luchador who obviously isn't Mexican--for the ever popular "generic white guy with a sort of strange name." Fast forward a few months, and...

Sami Zayn is doing great? He's putting on consistently great matches in NXT and seems to be winning crowds over in house shows and dark matches for WWE.

I have to admit, I was one of those who rolled his eyes when I heard that they dropped the Generico gimmick. But now I'm doubting my gut feelings; maybe switching over to a more relatable character was the way to go. That being said, a lot of people can play Sami Zayn's character--they could give it to any number of guys they have signed in NXT right now, to be honest. Only one person can play El Generico, though, and as one-dimensional as the character could be argued to be, passing it up might be a missed opportunity for the WWE.

What do you guys think? Are you liking the arguably more vanilla but undeniably still entertaining Sami Zayn? Or would you like to see the return of the ridiculous masked luchador El Generico?

Well El Generico might have been interesting for a while, the problem is that it's too ridiculous of a character to do much. Would you prefer he becomes a Santino or possibly become a big player sometime down the road?

I see nothing wrong with Sami Zayn. It sounds like it can be someone's legit name. His real name is Rami Sebei, so I can't say that there's anything wrong with using Sami Zayn as a name.

While some people would prefer he used the El Generico gimmick, I don't think it'd get him over on a major stage like WWE. Why? Well...frankly, it's kind of a joke when you think about it. El Generico is a red headed, nearly as white skinned as Sheamus Canadian of Syrian descent wrestling as a Luchadore from Tijuana, Mexico. It almost sounds schizophrenic. Also, the name "El Generico" pretty much translates into "the generic." Something like that works well on the indy circuit but not on a bigger stage. TNA did something kind of similar with Amazing Red a few years back in which they put him in a mask and called him Sangriento and it didn't exactly get over.

If "El Generico" showed up in WWE, people wouldn't take him seriously. They'd get a kick out of him doing his thing and the whacky aspects of his character, but they also get a kick out of Santino Marella. "El Generico" would most likely be a comedy jobber who could entertain fans and that fans could see is probably capable of being much more than his current role. They'd like the guy and he'd probably earn success as a mid-card and tag team wrestler, but would usually be jobbed out to the much bigger stars on the roster.

Zayn is getting rave reviews from fans and officials at NXT for the work he's doing, and rightly so because he's not only shown that he can actually wrestle and talk on the mic rather than be limited to being someone who flips & flops all over the ring like a squirrel on PCP.

Why? Well...frankly, it's kind of a joke when you think about it.

In this thread: Jack-Hammer realises that a Canadian bloke wrestling as 'the generic luchadore' in a cape with "Olé!" slapped across his arse is meant to be funny. Well, he comes perilously close anyway, so I say we give him credit.

I was pretty concerned when it was revealed that... let's call him Sami... was going to be wrestling without the mask. It wasn't that I'd grown attached to El Generico - I hadn't yet formed that bond with him; the sort a father and a son might have, or a supermodel and a tapeworm. I just thought that El Generico was marketable and easy to do. I mean, this guy was coming from the indies - of course he didn't have any charm or charisma, so it's best to leave the mask on, let him talk gibberish and let him get popular that way.

Like everyone who doubted how good Sami Zayn would be without the mask, I've been dramatically proved wrong. Sami is ridiclously entertaining to watch. Try any of his matches with Cesaro or his most recent one with Swagger if you're such a heathen as to doubt his brilliance. His inevitable (televised) match with Bo Dallas has fluids dribbling from nearly every orifice - I'm like a manga character that's just seen a schoolgirl's cameltoe.

Sami's taken to WWE like a fish to water. The Best of El Generico is the latest addition to my larger-than-it-needs-to-be wrestling DVD collection and, while there's obviously some overlap, Generico is very much an ROH wrestler and Zayn a WWE one. Even look at those pictures at the top of the page - he won't be winning any Mr. Universe competitions, but Sami Zayn is built like a human being, whereas Generico was built like an anorexic on a diet. Not a huge change in muscle mass, but a significant one. I've nothing against El Generico (in fact, I've become quite fond of him as I've gone through his back catalogue - and was delighted to find that the 'valiant loser' bit wasn't a recent development), it's just that Sami Zayn could be WWE Champion, and El Generico's a bit too much Saturday Morning Slam and not enough Monday Night Raw.

Maybe if there's a house show in Mexico or there needs to be an extra hook for a Main Event match or, shit, even if Sami needs a Mick Foley style alternate persona, bring El Generico back. I'd be more than happy to see him. Otherwise, all aboard the Sami train. Olé chants welcome.

The difference between El Generico and Sami Zayn is like the difference between Santino Marella and Daniel Bryan, or like the difference between Eric Young and Eddie Guerrero.

As El Generico, he may be very talented with a gimmick that's over with the crowd, but could such a ridiculously comedic gimmick ever be seen as any kind of main eventer? He'd certainly get an Intercontinental or US title reign or two, but he wouldn't so much as sniff of a world title. He would be like a Santino or EY guy. Talented and over, but not over in any meaningful way.

Without the mask, he may be more vanilla, but it gives him more of an opportunity to really connect with the audience like he has on NXT. He couldn't give those promos that he has given on Cesaro and Dallas, showing his very underrated speaking skills with the El Generico gimmick. It gives him a serious side that makes people into real stars. He's generally a smiling, lighthearted guy but when he's pissed off, he'll let you know about it, much like Eddie Guerrero and Daniel Bryan.

Do I need to point out the difference between EY/Santino and Bryan/Guerrero? I hope I don't. El Generico may be what got him to the WWE, but it's Sami Zayn that'll make him a star there.

Olé chants welcome.

I just realized how much this is gonna fuck over Los Matadores. I am very upset about it.

I was infuriated when the WWE stripped him of his character, but this is before I had seen him work anything other than ROH spotfest shitnado matches. He is an excellent worker, has a unique look, and does one HELL of a job connecting with the crowd.

You win this one, WWE.

I definitely prefer Sami Zayn because of his promo skills, natural likeability and his wrestling skills. El Generico was a good character but if he debuted that way, he'd be relegated to dance segments with Tons of Funk. He's really carried the ball with this Sami Zayn character and it looks like he'll go far in the WWE with the way he's taken NXT and the WWE by a storm overall.

I have always been a big fan of El Generico and if Rami were to use the character in WWE, I'm sure it would catch on very quickly and I can even see him having some very funny match ups with the likes of 3MB, But for me that would be about it. Sure he might end up getting a shot at the IC or US title at somepoint, but his El Generico character is just too comical to ever break into the main event. As Sami Zayn, I really think Rami has a shot at being a really star in WWE and give it a couple of years and I am sure you will see Sami as World Champion.

I love the gimmick and was worried at first. But the man is oozing with talent and can obviously get a crowd behind him no matter what. I don't care what his name is, he'd one of the most talented guys WWE has.

I like Sami Zayn but I can see why he needed a gimmick to get over in the indies. He's boring on the mic and his fued with Cessaro, while it provided some great matches, lacked passion on his part.

People say El Generico won't get over, but I don't see Sami Zayn getting over either. He's talented but so was Tyson Kidd and Justin Gabriel.

I like Sami Zayn but I can see why he needed a gimmick to get over in the indies. He's boring on the mic and his fued with Cessaro, while it provided some great matches, lacked passion on his part.

People say El Generico won't get over, but I don't see Sami Zayn getting over either. He's talented but so was Tyson Kidd and Justin Gabriel.

Eh, I don't necessarily agree with you, but I see your point. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of his promos in NXT, but it's hard to say whether they'll translate in the "big leagues." Tyson Kidd and Justin Gabriel are two unfortunate examples of how that might be the case (at least at this point--they still have time).

I'm holding out for Sami, though! I think he's got something.

I will say first that I haven't seen this guy with either gimmick. However, it seems that the crowd has quickly gotten behind his current gimmick and if it's working, I say leave it as is. I could see has masked gimmick turning into a comedy act and he seems too talented to be wasted in that role. Also, it would be harder to add depth to the faked masked luchador.

The point I was trying to make in my initial post was that people tend to only pay attention to something the first couple of times it happens. People have already seen several guys come up from the indies with incredible talent. Sami Zayn, although incredibly talented, isn't exactly exploring any new territory. El Generico however, is something most people haven't seen before. Like most people, I have no faith in El Generico amounting to anything other than a comedy bit given WWE creative's track record. In the proper hands, however it could be done. I'm not trying to shit on the guy either. I want to see Sami Zayn succeed. I just think he needs a little something extra to put him over. It also wouldn't hurt to put a little edge on his character. In his promos he comes across as the type of guy that helps little old ladies cross the street.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back