• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Zema Ion Fundraiser Ends

scottyshowman82

Getting Noticed By Management
Zema Ion Fundraiser Ends, Doesn't Get Much Money

The Zema Ion fundraiser officially ended on June 20th and only raised $6,648 of the requested $30,000. This is 22% of the goal.
As previously reported, Ion does not have medical insurance and went in for emergency surgery for appendicitis and a tumor in his colon.
No word on if they might try to extend this fundraiser or start another one.
(Personal note: I don't usually include my personal thoughts in the news items, but I just want to say that I genuinely feel bad for Zema Ion, whose real name is Michael Paris. I hope things will work out for him in the end. But to whoever did contribute to that $6,648, I'm sure that Paris appreciates it. I know I would. 22% of their goal is definitely better than nothing.)

I echo those sentiments, big props to all the people who put in and hopefully they're reopen the funding soon. For more information here's the original link to his fundraiser:https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/6hd2/zematna

Being in the UK I may be a bit ignorant for asking this but as a pro wrestler why wouldn't he have medical insurance?

Many Americans don't, which is part of the reason why the Affordable Healthcare Act (b.k.a. "Obamacare") was pushed hard by President Obama. The way things are now, it's very easy for insurers to deny or charge exorbitant rates to someone like a professional wrestler due to the nature of their work and/or pre-existing injuries.

All that aside, kudos to those who donated. Personally, though, I wouldn't do it. There are uninsured individuals out there who are much worse off than Zema Ion and don't have wealthy friends. Why Zema or whoever is behind this fundraiser is hitting up the fans for cash rather than Dixie Carter, Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff, or any of the wrestlers backstage at TNA is beyond me. No offense to Zema Ion, but there are simply more needy people and more urgent causes to donate to.

Being in the UK I may be a bit ignorant for asking this but as a pro wrestler why wouldn't he have medical insurance?

To put it simply so an insurance debate doesn't ring out, there isn't universal healthcare in the U.S. He would have to pay out of pocket for his own insurance, and most places would either turn him down or make him pay out the ass since he's a pro wrestler and that makes him more likely to need the insurance and, in turn, cost the company money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back