Your "Popcorn" Wrestlers/Matches

Aeon Mathix

Has Ascended
The title may come as a head scratcher, but never fear as here comes the power of elaboration!

We all have those movies or TV shows that we like to pop in every now and again when we are bored or maybe when we have some good food and feel like watching something that we know will be entertaining because we have seen them before. Most of us call these shows or movies "Popcorn" movies. Now I ordered a pizza tonight and found myself with nothing to do, so I decided to browse Youtube for some matches. These were matches I had already seen numerous times, but that was fine because I know that I love them.

Sometimes I will look up matches I had never seen before involving a wrestler I am very confident will not disappoint. Some of those names including Shawn Michaels, Kurt Angle, John Cena, etc. Those would have to be my popcorn wrestlers. Wrestlers I watch because I know i like their work.

So perhaps some of you find yourself in these very same situations. Ever just browse youtube or the internet in general just knowing what match or wrestler you want to watch because of boredom or maybe even because of a pizza meal?

Well ladies and gentlemen, if thats you, then I invite you to share who your "popcorn" wrestlers and/or matches are with the rest of us. Who do you like to watch no matter what? What matches do you like to watch knowing they do not disappoint?

Wrestling in and of itself for me is something I call a comfort show. If I am having a bad day or bad week I just watch Raw or put in a DVD and it makes me feel a lot better. My go to match would have to be Savage/Warrior from mania 7. So much goes on there it is almost like watching a movie. As far as a wrestler it would be HBK. I can pick any of his matches and I know I will be entertained.

There's a few from the Attitude Era (hush your booing) that I often go back and watch for the nostalgia factor and for the jollies of feeling marky again.

Benoit w/ Shane McMahon against The Rock, which I think was at a Fully Loaded but I'm not entirely sure. I loved the build up to their match with Benoit getting the upper hand on The Rock on several occassions and baiting him with his "prove me wrong" mantra. The Rock had had enough of Benoit and Shane, and resorted to using a chair to somewhat level the playing field. Foley in his role as the commissioner set the ruling that if Rock used the chair then Benoit would get the title. Pretty sweet match.

Jericho v Kane in a last man standing match. Again, not sure which PPV it was at but this was part of the angle that started with Jericho spilling coffee on Kane, the fool! Attitude Era Jericho is still my favourite incarnation of his character as he was outspoken, brash, cocky and wasn't deterred by the beatings he would often take. A pretty enjoyable match.

My third and final is another Jericho last man standing match, but this time it was against HHH. At the time, HHH was dominant and just powering through opponents with help from Stephanie along the way too. JR's commentary is one of the things I remember about the match as he put over Jericho's never-say-die attitude in a huge way due to Jericho's ribs being taped up but acting as a bullseye for Trips, as well as urging Chris to stay down and to think of his career.

As I am sure it comes as a surprise to no one, my "popcorn" wrestlers would have to be Ric Flair, Shawn Michaels and Dusty Rhodes. I rely on these people to lift my spirits whenever I have a bad day. Nothing better than an ice cold pizza, some chinese food, and a Dusty Rhodes promo. For that matter, as someone as already said, wrestling as a whole is often used as therapy during troubled times.

I also have "go-to" moments or matches. Ric Flair vs. Randy Savage at WMVIII and the promos that followed, I probably have seen 3 dozen times and I can still pull it out of the DVD collection and get goosebumps. The promo at the end of that match is probably the best exchange between two pro wrestlers ever.

Other matches include Flair's retirement bout at WM24, Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart from WM12, and Flair vs. Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back