Your personal Genesis

Pigeon Life

Dark Match Jobber
We all love wrestling, I think that’s safe to say. So I was wondering, what was your very first experience of wrestling? Personally mine was of the old coliseum video of UK Rampage 1991. I remember the first thing was of the ring announcer mixing up the name of The Warlord and Jim Neidhart. It was also my first time seeing my all time favourite male wrestler Shawn Michaels and my all time favourite female wrestler and manager the late Sensational Sherri. I was hooked and haven’t looked back in 28 years.

my very first experience was as a small child being chokeslamed and powerslamed by my older cousins cos they were much bigger than me.
my first actual experience was going to a friends house while a random episode of RAW was on so nothing too exciting but the first event that made me love WWE was the 2004 Royal Rumble event.

My older cousin was heavily into wrestling when I was a small child in the late 80's. The first match I can ever recall watching was Razor Ramon vs. some random jobber on an early episode of RAW.

I would watch WWF on TV Saturday mornings when I was a kid but what got me hooked was going to the live event at the Lansing Civic Center in Michigan watching Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat defend his Intercontinental Title against "Macho Man" Randy Savage in a steel cage. I was a huge Steamboat fan after that and I've been a pretty devoted wrestling fan ever since. Of course back then the World Champion Hulk Hogan wasn't there because he was working the Brock Lesnar schedule.... LOL

We all love wrestling, I think that’s safe to say. So I was wondering, what was your very first experience of wrestling? Personally mine was of the old coliseum video of UK Rampage 1991. I remember the first thing was of the ring announcer mixing up the name of The Warlord and Jim Neidhart. It was also my first time seeing my all time favourite male wrestler Shawn Michaels and my all time favourite female wrestler and manager the late Sensational Sherri. I was hooked and haven’t looked back in 28 years.

Funnily enough it was the same show for me (that later came out on VHS). It was just after WM7, and some school mates had taped that show off Sky, and then the UK rampage followed in Apr 1991, again taped off sky which was the first proper WWF show I'd seen in full.
If I remember Andre the giant came out on crutches to assist the Rockers vs Orient Express (where Fuji kept hitting Shawn & Marty with his cane) ... Hogan beat Slaughter in a MW7 rematch ... and Hulk cut a promo about drinking tea with the Queen in Buckingham palace (I am sure he did haha), Roddy Piper quoted Gazza (UK footballer) in a promo!,
Davey Boy Smith beat Berzerker, Ted Dibiase beat Kerry Von Erich, Jim Neidhart beat the Warlord ... pretty certain the lights failed when Jimmy Snuka was on.
Jake and Earthquake wrestled to a DQ I think.

I remember that ring announcer too... he looked petrified when Earthquake started jumping on the ring apron (causing it to shake) .
After that watched the preceding WM7 show... and loads of collesium videos from the late 80s

WCW Worldwide in the early 90's. It was shown in the UK late at night during the week so I got my parents to tape it. Eventually ITV repeated it on a Saturday afternoon anyway.

I remember Brian Pillman being the Yellow Dog, Cactus Jack being lost in Cleveland, guys like Rip Rogers, Tom Zenk, The State Patrol etc. being on the TV.

The first time I can remember watching was Wrestling Challenge in the fall of 1991. I remember not understanding how Hogan and Ric Flair were both the champion. I can remember an interview with Bret Hart as intercontinental champion. I also remember what must have been a local tv spot for a house show with Savage and Jake Roberts both doing promo from a steel cage.

Within a few weeks of watching, was the barber shop segment with Shawn and Marty, the snake biting macho (which scared the shit out of me), and going to see Hogan/Flair in the spectrum. I was hooked from there.

Great thread :)

Though I had seen wrestling in passing in the years prior, it was the summer of 1989 that I truly became a fan. My grandparents were up from Florida and my grandpop in particular watched quite a bit of WWF and NWA/WCW while they were staying at our house. I can't say I remember the specific match or show I watched first, but it was either WWF Superstars of Wrestling / Wrestling Challenge or the two hour NWA "World Championship Wrestling" show on TBS at 6:05. I was completely hooked :)

I remember begging my parents to call our cable company so I could see Hogan and Beefcake take on Macho Man and Zeus at SummerSlam. Ultimately that didn't happen as our area didn't have PPV capabilities just yet. Between that and the time we finally got PPV about a year later, I consumed all of the wrestling programming I could get my hands on... the Saturday morning WWF shows, Prime Time Wrestling on Monday nights, the aforementioned WCW Saturday Night show, Power Hour on Sunday, Clash of Champions, Saturday Nights Main Event, you name it. I also think I rented (or begged my mom to rent) every single wrestling tape they had at the local grocery store, likely twice over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back