• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Your Favorite Wrestlemania Opening Match

the troop

Occasional Pre-Show
For the most part, the wwe has done a very good job putting on very good Wrestlemania openers that really get the crowd going, which at the end of the day is one of its jobs; to get the crowd excited and jumpin' for the rest of the card. If the match doesn't get the fans' blood going, the rest of the night might suffer(This usually doesn't happen much considering that crowds are already hot because they are, you know, AT WRESTLEMANIA. But I digress).

Anyway, the question I pose to the forums is quite simple. What is Your favorite Wrestlemania match that opened the show?

With that being said, I will tell you what my personal favorite is and what I believe is the greatest Wrestlemania opener of all time.

Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart WM X- I am anticipating most members will agree with me on this match, which isn't too shocking. This match is truly awesome. I mean, what could you have expected from these two other than a technical masterpiece, which is what they gave us. This match just had a flow to it which very few wrestlers can pull off together. These two had the chemistry to do it.

I loved the storytelling of the match. It's brother vs. brother, so they go counter for counter trying to get the upperhand. It gave this match a feeling of constant struggle meaning that one truly couldn't get the better over the other until the ending, which I loved also. Owen countering Bret's victory roll for the pin, showing that Owen was just 3 seconds better than his brother that night.

This might be the greatest match of all time, let alone greatest opening Wrestlemania match. I don't know what can beat this as best Wrestlemania opener, but that's just my opinion. I'm surely others will come up.

What say you? What is your favorite Wrestlemania Opening match of all time?

Well you sunk my bearbattleship right away with Wrestlemania X. Bret Hart versus Owen Hart isn't only one of the best opening matches, it is one of the best matches ever at Wrestlemania. So yes, when those two put on that great match, where Bret put over Owen, I don't know if it is ever beatable.

I also liked the Wrestlemania XSeven match between Jericho and Regal as a match. That one was a decent opener, but didn't touch the WMX match. I am not sure with doing the MITB matches first, if it will be beat.

In my honest opinion I believe that WM8 has gotten the moniker of greatest WM, because of the great undercard. However, that night in Indianapolis we saw a star born: "HBK". Everything was perfect from his music to his long entrance with Sherri in the Hoosier Dome to his match with Tito Santana. While Tito was at the end of his career, as a kid you thought the El Matador would finish this mullet wearing- tiger cladded jerk that through Marty Jannety through a window. (But that was NOT the case) Even though, the match wasn’t the greatest WM match it launched Shawn into the IC title contention and eventually put him the upper echelon of wwf superstars.

Since it seems that Bret vs Owen is pretty unanimous for best all time opener, I'll say the best opener since I've been watching (Wrestlemania X9) would have to be the Wrestlemania 23 MITB. I love Kenderson, and Jeff's jump was great, and there were so many RKO's, and Booker T did spinebusters, and their were an abundance of spears, and... and... *hyperventilates* Anyway, that's the best Wrestlemania opening and best MITB ever, IMHO.

I'm gonna go back a few more years than some here have stated.

WM5--Rockers @ Twin Towers.

For me it was memorable for the one the nastiest looking finishes in Mania history!!

Shawn Michaels came off the top rope for a high-body thesz-type press,
Big Boss Man managed to catch him in midair,turn him and use the momentum for quite possibly the most awesome powerbomb-type manuever I ever saw!!

Each time I see it.....I still cringe!!

this is a great topic. owen vs bret is def a great pic. I personally am goin to go with eddie vs. rey mysterio from wm21. Probably one of the most overlooked matches in wm history, given the matches like orton vs. taker and angle vs hbk on the card that year. I do have to say tho, i truly believe that this years wrestlemania, the opening match, as long as it isnt a divas match has the oppurtunity to take the title. i would love to see cm punk and rey open the show this year.

id have to give my vote to wrestlemania x8 DDP vs Christian for the european championship. Not only was it for a championship but was also a very good wrestling match. DDP always puts on the best he can, and the entire fued, did help christian as a singles wrestlers, (even if it was ddps motivational speaker gimick) a shame DDP never got the main event run in the wwf that he deserved.

I must admit I'd have to look back to pick my favorite, but as far as recent years go, my favorite WrestleMania opener is John Cena vs The Bigshow at WrestleMania XX

What a way to open the show! Cena's gimmick was better back then and ending the match with the FU on Show was amazing. A WrestleMania Moment I'll never forget.

I just remember being glad that match opened the show and it was exciting for me hoping Cena would pull out the victory. I think it was a great way to open WrestleMania 20, in a very big way. It was to me anyway

Dang it Degree, you took mine!

Well, because Hart v Hart and MITB at WM 23 are already said, I'm gonna go with Rey v Eddie at WrestleMania 21. Not only was it Eddie's last Wrestlemania match but it was a great technical match with a lot of high flying for Rey and mat stuff from Eddie. I really enjoyed seeing these guys go at it and this match began in my opinion my most favorite storyline of that year.

1. Bret Vs Owen- It was just an awesome wrestling match with a great storyline and a nice finish that gave Owen some credibility as a singles wrestler.

2. Eddie vs Rey- This was another great technical match that would lead into a long rivalry between both men. The crowd seemed into it and I don't think this match gets the recognition it deserves because of some of the other matches that night.

3. HBK vs Tatanka- This match deserves some kind of mention because quite frankly it was probably the only good match that took place at Wrestlemania 9. It used Sherri and Luna very well, I just would have liked a better finish.

WM XX - John Cena vs. The Big Show

Not necessarily because of the in ring action (that award would go to Bret vs. Owen at WM X) but for what the match stood for. It meant that change was finally upon us and with Cena winning the US Championship that night, it symbolized that Cena would be the future of the WWE for years to come. I'm sure you guys are gonna slam me for this one. haha :p

For me it's got to be:

Wrestlemania X8 - IC Title - Regal(c) vs. RVD

This match is probably overlooked my many wrestling fans, but these two really put on a top quality match to kick off one of the best Mania's for sure. Some of the moves in the match, especially Regal's half nelson into a German suplex on RVD, were sick to say the least but made it memorable and special. On top of that, it was RVD's first Mania and he walked out as the IC Champion.
I love watching this match, and it does exactly what a Mania opener should do, and that is get you amped up for the rest of PPV. :)

I have to agree that Bret vs Owen is an excellent match. I actually only saw this match for the first time fairly recently as I wasn't a fan yet in 1994. This match just blew me away. The storytelling was great by both men as usual and I thought Owen in particular really stepped up and put in a great performance. So I have no problem in this being considered the greatest Wrestlemania opening match of all time, but my personal favourite is one that I actually watched live after becoming a fan and that is Rey vs Eddie at WM21. I know these two have had better matches against each other, but this one was still very good and the crowd were really into it. I particularly liked the sudden ending as this helped progress the story from a rivalry between friends into a bitter, personal feud. A great way to start Wrestlemania 21.

I'm going to say one of my favourite's was Rob Van Dam defeating William Regal for the IC title at WM 17 I believe. Not one that most would choose but here's why.

It was a great technical match up with Regal bringing the brute power and RVD bringing the fast pace and action. I don't know why but it was just the right match to start the PPV with.

RVD ended up winning his first WWE IC title that night and the PPV could not have started better in my opinion.

There have been four opening matches at Mania I have really liked. The three honorable mentions go to the Battle Royal at Mania 4, where Bad News and Bret Hart wanted to kill one another. At Mania 17, Regal and Jericho had an AMAZING match. Two of my favorite guys, as well. At Mania 23, MITB opened. I was there live, that's probably why I liked it so much. But number one is...

Wrestlemania 10- Owen Hart defeats Bret Hart
This was a main event calibur match. These are two of the best in-ring performers we have ever seen, and with them being brothers, it was really personal. I also like that Bret put over Owen, knowing he would win the title later on that night.

And BTW, it was Mania 18 where Regal and RVD went at it.

I have to say that WMX was the best with Bret vs. Owen. But there are several other matches that would be a great 2nd place. Not in any order but first I'd say John Cena vs. Big Show at WMXX, it was the beginning of the Cena era. Another favorite that wasnt mentioned here was the 15-team battle royal at WM 14 with the return of the Legion of Doom with Sunny, that was awesome and fan base was pumped for their return. Jericho and Regal at WM 17 was another really good technical match and it quite hard to see on a regular basis now a days. And lastly would be Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio at WM 21, great high flying match to open any type of Pay per view.

may not be the best match or the most rememberable, but id have to say the best was tito santana vs the executioner. why you ask? because it was the very first mania match ever. it was the match that kicked off wrestlemania 1 and set the tone for the rest of the evening which in turn created wrestling history.

My favorite WrestleMania opening match that I have watched was the Money in the Bank Match at WrestleMania XXV. It was a fkin crazy match. High flying all over. Everyone jumped on eachother at one point. It was every man for himself and there was somethings that we have never seen before ( Killswitch off the ladder, Kofi climbing a closed ladder, etc.). From the WrestleMania's that I have watched, it was a crazy WrestleMania opener.

For me it's got to be:

Wrestlemania X8 - IC Title - Regal(c) vs. RVD

This match is probably overlooked my many wrestling fans, but these two really put on a top quality match to kick off one of the best Mania's for sure. Some of the moves in the match, especially Regal's half nelson into a German suplex on RVD, were sick to say the least but made it memorable and special. On top of that, it was RVD's first Mania and he walked out as the IC Champion.
I love watching this match, and it does exactly what a Mania opener should do, and that is get you amped up for the rest of PPV. :)

Yep yours gets the nod from me bub. Believe it or not, Regal v RVD has a few parallels to Bret v Owen! Bret was the technical wrestler, Regal was the technical wrestler. Owen and RVD were the "high-flyers" of the match, most people would have expected Bret and Regal to get the win in the match....feel free to draw a few more if you so choose.

Back to the topic at hand: Any match that involves Regal gets a big nod in my book. Mr. Barrett was talking about learning "QUALITY" from Jericho...He needs to watch some of Regal's matches. Jericho's only got 2 main ways to beat you (in the US anyway): Walls of Jericho/Liontamer and Codebreaker. Regal's got the Regal Stretch, the Knee Trembler, and the Regalplex (which I've decided to give y'all a peek at, I couldn't find one used on RVD, not sure if there's any clips of that)

[youtube]dUM6K6j7BLs[/youtube]

Nasty looking huh? In any case, Regal punished RVD in that match but RVD still managed to get up and pull off the win. I'm a Van Dam fan but he shouldn't have won that one.

i would have to say the first one that comes to mind is
Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart Wrestlemania X. that was so big for owen hart so this is my 1st pick. others i cannot think of at this... ill think about more... i also liked rey vs eddie but its wasnt like the harts

Mania 3, Can-Am Connection vs. Don Muraco/Bob Orton.

This was a perfect choice for an opener. You have a team of rather over faces vs. two good heels. The point here was that it was just above a dark match as it had more or less zero meaning. This did a great job of getting the crowd going as it was a rather fast paced match and set the stage for the rest of the show. The idea here for me wsa that it didn't waste a big match on a crowd that wasn't totally awake yet. This was a well done match too as it was basic power vs. speed. What more can you ask for?

Mania 17, Jericho Vs Regal. very solid match to begin wat most believe to be the best mania out there. both men show cased their talent, and hyped up the fans for all the awesome matches to come later in the night. The match had build up, and really set the tone for the show.

my fav wrestlemania opener is errm Finlay vs JBL in a Belfast Brawl it has some sort of weapons i love it but in this case Finlay and JBL they arw not popular they are average in extreme rules

WrestleMania VII - The Rockers v Barbarian & Haku

It was the first wrestlemania i watched and i loved the opening match. Tons of high flying action by The Rockers and double teams like double superkick or double dropkicks. Was tons of fun way back :D

I'm going to go with Rey vs Eddie at WM 21. I thought it was technically sound and had some nice high flying spots. It also led to a feud that lasted throughout the summer. It was a nice fast paced match to kick off the show. Defintely an underrated match on the card IMO. I think everything gets overshadowed due to the HBK/Angle match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back