Your favorite tag match?

LSN80

King Of The Ring
Pretty simple I suppose, the title pretty much says it all. Tag team wrestling is an art that's been pushed to the background these days, especially in WWE. But there was a time where tag team wrestling was thriving, and often outperformed some of the singles matches on the card.

So my question is: What is your favorite tag team match of all time? And why?

I have to go with Edge and Rey Mysterio vs Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit, at No Mercy 2002. WWE was in the midst of pushing the tag team division, as they were adding a second set of belts via this match. They ended with five fantastic minutes of momentum changes, four-way action, reversals, and believable near falls. In the end, Angle had Edge in the Anklelock. Edge reversed it and applied the Anklelock himself. Angle then reversed it and reapplied the Anklelock for the tap out. Awesome match in every way possible. All four guys worked their asses off, and every spot was perfectly timed and well executed. Four of my favorite wrestlers of all time going all out. Wrestling Observer's match of the year for 2002, the first time a tag match from WWE has won match of the year. Just awesome in every way.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2baXiRfvW8

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGTL9HT9a6s

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhVa6oj_bZc

No limits, it can be from any company, at any time. Sooooo.... What's your favorite tag match of all time, and why?

Me, simple...

AJPW, 1995: Misawa and Kobashi vs Taue and Kawada

I have the Best of 1995 double disc set from Highspots. I believe that it had the awesome Kobashi vs Kawada match (an awesome 60 min "Hollywood", which laid the groundwork for the story in this match) and the Taue vs Misawa match (which, again, laid out the story in this match).

It was a freaking storyline so simple, that it would make Russo's head explode. Simply put, Kawada wanted to beat Misawa, and BAD. I believe that this lead into the collision course of the AJPW Tag Team title match. In the prior singles matches, Taue injures Misawa's left eye, and Kawada focused on the injured leg of Kobashi.

It lead into this 43 minute WAR, Taue and Kawada was outmatched until about 10-15 mins into the match when Kobashi got a basement dropkick to his heavily wrapped right thigh, then got both knees dropped on that leg. This caused Misawa to basically fight a 2-on-1 match, getting beat up, having his eye focused on, trying to avoid Kobashi from getting hurt worse to his leg.

Then the most awesome spot happened in the match, it was something SO SIMPLE, but something SO AWESOME.

Taue chokeslammed Misawa right into the injured leg of Kobashi!

Think about it. It's awesome for 10-MILLION reasons, but mainly it let the people know that Taue and Kawada were ruthless, and solidified their heel roles in this match. I mean, that was such a simple, KISS-induced method, that I REALLY don't see in American wrestling anymore. It made PERFECT sense and told a story without really putting the other person's life in danger (like the 15-20 high risk finishers per match no-a-days).

Then, you had the Kobashi, willingly throwing himself over the badly beaten Misawa, to signify how he didn't want to see his best friend recieve any more punishment. And Kawada FINALLY getting the 1,000-Lb gorilla of never being able to beat Misawa by finally getting the win.

Awesome match, simple logic, simple story, made for a PERFECT match by great performers!

Freebirds-Von Erich's 7-4-84 : In my opinion the best match between the best rivals of the 1980's this "Bad Street Rules" six man tag match had it all ! Wild brawling, blood, a SUPER HOT crowd, and an intensity that you'll never see today ! Just great non-stop action from the opening bell and great commentary from Mark Lowrance, it's a must see match and it's on YOUTUBE.

Perhaps a bit cliche but it could literally be any of the original TLC matches between The Hardyz, Edge & Christian and The Dudley Boyz. Great chemistry of a strong-arm team, a high-flying team and a team somewhere in the middle. Great chemistry. High spots, but also just some decent flow to the matches. It wasn't just; walk here, perform spot, rinse and repeat. There was some story involved. Great action, element of danger and never an anti-climactic ending.

Hell, even the TLC with Chris Benoit & Chris Jericho as champions could be thrown in there.

Couldn't really pick just one, loved them all.

The first ever tag team ladder at No Mercy, part of the Terri Invitational Tournament between The Hardy Boyz and Edge & Christian- the night 4 stars were born.

Both competing for the $100,000 which was in a bag high above the ring, and the managerial "services" of Terri Runnels, both teams put on something special, which remains one of my favoruite matches of all time. It was simply a masterclass in Tag-Team action. The Hardys acknowledge this as the time as when they stopped being just WWF "wrestlers" and became WWF "Superstars".

There was none stop action in this match,, with JR stating that all four guys look like they had been ejected from a car wreck. The creativity in the match was astonishing, with the ladder being used in ways never seen before on WWE tv:

Neckbreaker from the ladder
Twist Of Fate from the ladder
Downward Spiral from the ladder
Powerbomb from the ladder
Reverse DDT from the ladder
See-Saw effect with the ladder, jumping on one end causing the other end to bounce up and smash Christian in the face.

It was unique, it was spectacular, it was entertaining, it was fresh and it showcased 4 men who had the ability to be the future of the company, and who showed how much they wanted it by taking so many risks and going all out to impress the WWF head honchos.

That is why I loved this match, and became a firm fan of all four men after this. I have yet to enjoy a tag team match more than this one, not even the TLC matches

Steiner Bros. vs Sting/Muta or Demolition vs Andre/Haku.. either one, but I guess the first cuz Andre was def slowed way down for the match with Demolition, they're both fantastic to me, though

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back