Your Favorite Obscure Matches

The Dragon Saga

Whale in a Teardrop
Yesterday afternoon I found myself pretty bored, I'd nothing to do so I said I'd crack open YouTube and watch some 'rasslin matches to kill time. What I found annoying is, every match that came straight to my head I'd seen already. I've seen just about every match WWE have had on weekly television and pay-per-view since '96 but I do like looking back in time a bit.

So, I said for a thread I'd ask people to give me a few of the matches which haven't gotten the notoriety you feel they may deserve. From any promotion past or present, so throw in some WWE, TNA, WCW, ECW, NWA etc, etc. Go for some Japan or Lucha Libre even, I'm not fussed.

Sting vs Ric Flair - WCW/NWA Heavyweight Championship - WCW Great American Bash 1990
WCW Starcade - Ric Flair vs Dusty Rhodes
WCW Great American Bash 1989- Sting vs The Great Muta
WCW Starrcade 1997: Eddie Guerrero vs. Dean Malenko
WCW - Rey Mysterio vs Jushin Thunder Liger
WCW 1996 -Randy Savage & Hulk Hogan vs. Ric Flair & Arn Anderson
WCW 2000- Kevin Nash vs Sid Vicious

Rey Mysterio vs. Batista on Smackdown in January 2010 made me a wrestling fan. I've never seen it mentioned on here before, so I guess it's "obscure".

Sting vs Ric Flair - WCW/NWA Heavyweight Championship - WCW Great American Bash 1990
WCW Starcade - Ric Flair vs Dusty Rhodes
WCW Great American Bash 1989- Sting vs The Great Muta
WCW Starrcade 1997: Eddie Guerrero vs. Dean Malenko
WCW - Rey Mysterio vs Jushin Thunder Liger
WCW 1996 -Randy Savage & Hulk Hogan vs. Ric Flair & Arn Anderson
WCW 2000- Kevin Nash vs Sid Vicious

Seen all of them, wouldn't say any of them are obscure.

Барбоса;3736854 said:
The Tag Team elimination match at Survivor Series 1988. It went over 40 mins and was tremendous fun

If that's the one with the Conquistidors, I have seen it, but not in a long time.

I can't remember the date but one night on NXT, Yoshi and Tyson Kidd had a hell of a match.

They had several matches on NXT, pre-Tatsu turning into a poor Great Muta wannabe or post?

¡Roján!;3736888 said:
Trent Baretta and The Usos vs. Tyson Kidd and Slabriel on the 30th of June 2011. You're welcome.

I remember it. I actually started a thread complimenting it. May take another look at it.

Rey Mysterio vs. Batista on Smackdown in January 2010 made me a wrestling fan. I've never seen it mentioned on here before, so I guess it's "obscure".

That is what I'm talkin' 'bout right there. I remember the feud well but this match doesn't stick out to me. Good suggestion.

Edge vs Matt Hardy Steel cage match (Unforgiven 2005). I thought this was a hell of a fun match to watch. The emotion going into it was unbelievable!

The Rock Vs Mankind - December 1999 pink slip on a pole match because it was the first ever match i remember watching.

[YOUTUBE]vYtJCnVUbHM[/YOUTUBE]

I want to like William Regal. I want to.

Note how they had to send The Nexus out after Punk to balance the awesome:shit ratio.

John Cena vs. Umaga - Royal Rumble 2007, Last Man Standing Match. Vicious, violent, and the match that made me a John Cena and Umaga fan. It's also the match that restored my faith as a wrestling fan after the horrors on 2006.

[YOUTUBE]zDXU6HfjC_c[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]jmtkL4lPNFk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]1RHuobHnt-Q&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

I want to like William Regal. I want to.

It's because he moonlights as a blackpool bus driver isn't it. Either that or the love handles.

Note how they had to send The Nexus out after Punk to balance the awesome:shit ratio.

You wanna talk about balancing out the awesome:shit ratio? They had to pair McGillicuty with Otunga before the Universe imploded. And that slapstick WWE one, the Brian Cox one.

Like I said, I became a big Umaga fan, so I really wanted to see him get that world title push. Such a shame he never did get there.

I thought he could have been a huge heel back then. His match with Jeff Hardy at Backlash a few months later is a memorable Umaga match to me, it was his move to Smackdown and allowing him to talk which almost instantly made me go, "Meh". Shame about the dude really.

Akiro Hokuto Vs. Meiko Satomura from GAEA 6th Anniversary Show (4/29/01) which is my favorite women's match of all time.
Yuji Nagata vs Akira Taue from NOAH 6/6/03
Samoa Joe vs Necro Butcher IWA-MS 6/11/05
Kenta Kobashi vs Tamon Honda NOAH 4/13/03

Go on - you've piqued my interest. Tell me more.

There isn't much to tell. It made me a wrestling fan not because it's a great match, it just happens to be one of the first matches I saw. But in retrospect, it is a great match.

Batista worked with Mysterio better than any other big man. Even better than The Undertaker, in my opinion.

¡Roján!;3736956 said:
Sanka, the steel cage match or the number 1 contender match?

Steel cage. I don't remember them having a #1 contender match in January 2010 that wasn't in a steel cage. Weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back