Your favorite cult classic

Hyorinmaru

Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
for those that don't know what classifies a movie as a cult classic here is the definition as stated by Wikipedia
Wiki said:
A cult film is a movie that attracts a devoted group of followers or obsessive fans, often despite having failed commercially on its initial release. The term also describes films that have remained popular over a long period of time amongst a small group of followers. Although they may only have a short cinema life, cult films often enjoy ongoing popularity through long runs on video, thus being issued in video "runs" with more copies than other movies. Usually, cult films have limited but very special, noted appeal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_film
when I thought of doing this thread about 10 minutes ago 1 movie popped immediately in my head and that movie is non other than...

Evil_dead_ver1.jpg
The budget for this movie was only $400,000 tops and it shows. Not only that it was banned in countries throughout Europe. It's one of the few movies I know of to actually be given an NC-17 rating by the MPAA. This was the first movie to be labeled Video Nasty in the UK during the 80s. Then there's the scene in the movie where the woman was raped by a tree.

Now I'm not trying to turn anyone off of this movie I was just trying to explain why it wasn't received by a more main stream audience. I personally love this movie but I can understand why most people don't. I urge everyone who hasn't seen it to give at least give it a try.

Definitely The Warriors. One of my top three films of all time, probably the one that is most fitting of the term cult classic. If anyone hasn't seen this, you're doing yourself an injustice by not doing so. Great performances from David Patrick Kelly and Michael Beck, truth be told there isn't really anyone bad on the cast as much as I can remember.

Wikipedia has told me that the film was a "mild commercial success on its initial release, the film was panned by many critics as exploitative and superficial" but this perception has changed over time, Entertainment Weekly named The Warriors the 16th greatest cult film on their "Top 50 Greatest Cult Films" list and as of April 22, 2011, the film has garnered a 94% "fresh" rating at Rotten Tomatoes. Honestly, this is a film I would define as a must see and a true cult classic.

clerks.jpg

Only had a budget of $27,500, was one of Kevin Smith's cult classics, and he has a few to his name. To get the money to make it, Kevin Smith sold his extensive comic book collection in, maxed out eight to ten credit cards with $2,000 limits, dipped into a portion of funds set aside for his college education and spent insurance money awarded for a car he and Jason Mewes lost in a flood. That's how determined the guy was to make this happen. And it paid off big time. Great movie, funny as fuck, shot in black and white and the editing is shit, but who cares? Great movie.

a90c67c829636c5dab47ed173bc0ecc1.jpg

The Big Lebowski is perhaps one of the most well known cult classics of our time. It has attracted such a following that it has became it's own religion. Yes, this movie has brought forth the great teachings of Dudeism, the most abiding religion in society today. It's just freaking cool, man. So many quotes and such an awesome music soundtrack it's amazing that this movie didn't do so well in the box office.

BILL & TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE

This even had a cartoon series, and Keanu Reeves went on to be a Hollywood superstar.

I absolutely love this movie, I must have seen it a couple of times. Using a Dr Who style phone booth, Bill and Ted go back through time to gather up famous historical figures in order to pass their school history report. If they fail, then Ted is to be shipped off to Military school. The "DUUUUDE!" and "Totally Bodacious!" lines always make me laugh, and it is funny seeing Keanu as a teen/early 20s waster.

They were given the phone booth to ensure they do not fail the report, as the 2 failed musicians are destined to save the universe with their band Wyld Staylyns!! The music in the film is great, the script is cheesy but brilliant and I do not know anyone who has seen this movie and not enjoyed it. Just harmless, enjoyable fun

Would "The Cable Guy", "The Thing" (1982), "Batman Forever", or "Wild Wild West" count as cult films?? :shrug:

If they count then they are my favorites with "The Cable Guy" and "The Thing" would be my top favorites.

"The Thing" was freakin creepy and was well written.
"The Cable Guy" was dark, humerous, and very emotional. I could relate to Chip.

Would "The Cable Guy", "The Thing" (1982), "Batman Forever", or "Wild Wild West" count as cult films?? :shrug:

"Wild Wild West" just counts as an abortion of a film ;)

Going by the definition used in the OP then I must say The Shawshank Redemption
519NBNHX5BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The film BOMBED in it's cinema run but garnered popularity through it's rental sales and slowly but surely became a "must-see" film on it's home-cinema rebound. Also, and if I'm wrong then please correct me, wasn't this the first film Morgan Freeman narrated (partially mind you)? Nowadays his voice is associated with narration of films and I believe it all started from Shawshank.

!BeNQrW!BGk~$(KGrHqIH-EYEreFH6oSSBK8VY+hEvw~~_35.JPG

I think another true element of a cult film is the 'either love it or hate it' dynamic. As such The Blues Brothers is easily my favourite cult, the music and the humour are lost on many people who just don't 'get it' but I simply adore it, whether it's the Illinois Nazi's, Bob's Country Bunker, the most insane pile up ever or the endless cameos from Blues and pop icon legends like Twiggy, Carrie Fischer and a certain Mr Spielberg. Over two hours of cinematic gold.

The Warriors

images

I've always loved this film and just for the violence. I absolutely loved the PS2 game and that's how I found out about the movie. Turned out the movie's plot and story-line was half of the game's. However I still loved the movie and the cast was pretty good.

"Wild Wild West" just counts as an abortion of a film ;)

Going by the definition used in the OP then I must say The Shawshank Redemption
519NBNHX5BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The film BOMBED in it's cinema run but garnered popularity through it's rental sales and slowly but surely became a "must-see" film on it's home-cinema rebound. Also, and if I'm wrong then please correct me, wasn't this the first film Morgan Freeman narrated (partially mind you)? Nowadays his voice is associated with narration of films and I believe it all started from Shawshank.

I just watched the Shawshank Redemption last night for my first time. If it is a cult film then I definitely think that it is one of the best!!

I'd agree with The Cable Guy. Perhaps my favorite Jim Carrey movie. However, my personal choice would be Wet Hot American Summer. While it's following is probably very small, I just love the film. Anyone I've ever talked to about it seems to find it pretty funny and just strange overall. I'd say the same about the movie "Orgazmo."

Two, goofy films that will always hit the mark with me. Fun stuff.

Following the TS definition, I'd go with Clerks. Funny movie and though it wasn't the biggest debut or what have you, helped launch the careers of both Kevin Smith and Jason Lee. Pretty good for an independent movie that was the biggest hit.

Cube.

I believe this fits the definition. It's a pretty straight forward horror/thriller movie, the graphics are poor by todays standards, it's provides a number of laughable moments; but it's just a really fun movie.

I watched it with my brother ages ago, and for me personally it has more sentimental value than anything else. It's not the best, but it's my favourite. Quentin is a crazy motherfucker.

boondocksaints.jpg

Boondock Saints

This is without a doubt the greatest cult film in history, amazing movie all around from an exellent cast(Willem Dafoe is priceless) and so many hilarious moments. This movie was all I every talked about back in the day, I was so obsessed with it that I got the Celtic cross tattooed on my chest and soon I'll finish it with Veritas to the left of it and Aequitas on the right :blush:

How has this movie not been mentioned?

Donnie Darko

THat movie I had to watch 3 times to fully get over its epicness.I can watch it any time and still be enthralled in it.

While I love both Boondock Saints and The Big Lebowski. My choice would be

images

This film was epic and still stands the test of time. It was a real shame that Brandon Lee died during the making of this film as he had great potential. Also we wouldn't have had to suffer the awful sequels to this great movie.

Honourable mention also to Memento

Depends on the definition of cult classic. But for the sake of not getting caught up in definitions I'll just go with the original Piranha film. My god did I love it. It came out a few years after Jaws, was way more violent and just a fun film to watch. I would never say it was a better creature feature then Jaws or any other big creature films but it certainly holds it's own. I put it in the category of B-level horror from the 70's and 80's that was just fun to watch. Mutant piranhas that are lose in a lake and killing people, does it get any better? I think not. The acting isn't very good and the story is ludicrous but I still love this film to this day. While the remake far surpassed the original, Piranha will always hold a special place in my heart.

Other films I considered were The Big Lebowski, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Fast Times At Ridgemont High and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. The reason I didn't go with any of them was because of their success, while not as great as the big blockbusters, in theaters. Whereas, Piranha truly does have a cult following and that is the only reason a remake was made and the original has stayed semi relevant for 30 years.

Love the Boondock Sanints, love The Crow, love the Big Lebowski, love Donnie Darko and love Evil Dead series..

Great picks guys.

What about Blade Runner, one of my all time favourite films and bombed on its first release at the box office. It's one of the best looking movies still to this day in my opinion!

And Mad Max 2: the Road Warrior is just an awesome movie also.. the original is great but the sequeal outshines it.

Edward Scissorhands is by far my favorite cult flick, even though it did really well in the theaters. I went as Edward for Halloween two years ago and I must say, I did a fuckin' killer job.

On the topic of cult gems, has anyone seen Sleepaway Camp? If not, rent it immediately. One of the most ridiculous scary movies to come out of that huge cluster in the early-to-mid '80s. If nothing else, YouTube the last 30 seconds. You'll never sleep again.

How could anyone really call Shawshank Redemption a cult classic? That's got WAY too huge of a following for that. It's rated #1 on iMDB for a reason people. Geez.

Anyways, I have to agree with anyone who mentioned any Evil Dead/Army Of Darkness movie, Boondock Saints or The Big Lebowski. If I had to pick, I'd probably pick Army Of Darkness. But since the Evil Dead series was already thrown out there, I'm gonna have to go with:
A70-3478

Most movie critics tear this movie apart, but I loved it as a kid and it has such a cult following they finally made it into DVD form a few years back. For a long time they never made it in DVD.

Hackers

I've gotten berated pretty badly on /tv/ for even remotely enjoying it (which is redundant considering that it's essentially just Fight Club for nerds)

Also, Angie looks pretty damned delicous.....
Angelina-in-Hackers-as-Acid-Burn-angelina-jolie-7821599-540-575.jpg

I'm also fond of Legend Of The 8 Samurai, Abraxas:Guardian Of The Universe, The Last Dragon and Kung Pow: Enter The Fist, but those are other stories for other days.....

Most movie critics tear this movie apart, but I loved it as a kid and it has such a cult following they finally made it into DVD form a few years back. For a long time they never made it in DVD.

How familiar are you with the source material?

I have two. Bakaroo bonzi across the 8th dimension. Sorry it its spelled wrong been so long sense I've seen it need to find it on dvd.
The second one would be dr. Straingelove, or how I learned to stop caring and love the bomb. The seen with the cowboy riding the a bomb will always stay in my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back