Your Favorite Boxing Rivalry

People's Champ

Bleeding Teal
In honor of Isreal Vazquez vs Rafael Marquez IV this Saturday, I fugred I make this thread. These guys had a huge rivarly in 07-08 and will have their final fight Saturday. So the question posed to you is, which boxing rivarly or trilogy was your favorite. Here are two of mine.

Isreal Vazquez vs Rafael Marquez

These guys had an epic battle at the featherweight division, with their 2nd and 3rd fights winning Fight of the Year. Here's a look at those fight.

First Fight: March 3, 2007

Here's the link if you want to see highlights of this fight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69q-eRYDnAI&feature=youtube_gdata

This was a tremendous fight. Vazquez and Marquez went at it toe to toe for 7 solid rounds. In fact Vazquez scored a knockdown in the 3rd. But as you watched the fight, Marquez looked to be the better fighter. He landed more and looked like he had the harder punches. And it happened that he did. Vazquez couldn't take anymore and they stopped the fight before starting the 8th. While Marquez looked better, Vazquez still was fighting and doing it well. He was able to connect on Marquez, but as you heard in the video he tell Roach he couldn't breath. If you watched that fight night, then you felt the same way I did in thinking "they need to do this again!!". It was a awesome fight and it just got better.

Second fight: August 4, 2007

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZihnpaSJHKU&feature=youtube_gdata

What a fight. Watching the hightlights got me all pumped up again. Round 3 was an unbelievable round. Vazquez hurt Marquez bad, real bad. It looks as if Vazquez is going to put Marquez away. Instead, Marquez comes out and turns the tables, hitting Vazquez with some hard shots. Both guys took a huge amount of punishment. Vazquez and Marquez both were able to connect with great shots, but Vazquez was stronger and you saw it in the 6th. Vazquez was relentless and really got Marquez with some clean shots to knock him down. And with so much time left, Vazquez did finish off Marquez. After only 5 months removed from their first fight, they go at it again with Vazquez winning. So that lead to the 3rd fight.

Third Fight: March 1, 2008

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6Di2j1z9xw&feature=youtube_gdata

This was the most exciting fight in recent history. In fact I go so far as to say one of my top 5 fight in boxing history. These went back and forth for 12 rounds. Marquez looked better in the opening rounds. But Vazquez was a fighter, a warrior. In the 4th, Marquez scored a knockdown, the first time Vazquez went down in their 3 fights. But not even 1t seconds after that, when they went back at it, Vazquez came back and hurt Marquez. Back and forth these warriors went. And finally in the 12th, with 10 seconds left, Vazquez scored a huge knockdown. Marquez would get up and the fight went to the scorecards. After a burtal 25 rounds of action, it was fitting that the 3rd fight was the best and came down to the end. Vazquez:s 12th round knockdown ened up being the difference as he won a very close decision.

These two fighters were a perfect match for each other. They poured their hearts and souls into these fightsand gave us one of the best rivalries we have ever seen. These fighters were never the same after. They spent much time in the hospital and both have the scars of a incredible 3 fights. This trilogy will go down as one of the greatest of all time. If you haven't seen these fights or want to relive the action, I strongly suggest you check out the links I put up. You will not be disappointed.

Now I know there are many others that can be mentioned.
Gatti vs Ward (another personal favorite; Top 5 all time)
Ali vs Frazier
Corrales vs Castillo
De la Hoya vs Mosley
Duran vs Sugar Ray Leonard
Leonard vs Hearns
Barrera vs Morrales
I could go on but you get it.

Now its your turn. What was your favorite boxing rivalry? I don't expect everyone to write essays or anything but bring some substance to your answers. I look forward to hearing what your picks are.

A great british rivalry from the 90s was Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank.In Benn you had the working mans pick the type of boxer who didnt give a shit and was 1 bad mofo who when he stepped into the ring had some bad intentions.In the other corner you Chris Eubank,the up his own arse dont really care if i endear myself to the fans type.The guy wore a fucking MONACLE when not in the ring.These 2 absolutely hated each other and it showed in there 2 fights.With Eubank winning the 1st and a draw in the 2nd.

Other rivalries that i loved were gatti,ward trilogy.Obviously the 2 controversial pac-marquez fights were awesome with pac starching JMM in the 1st round putting him on his ass 3 times and JMM coming back using his counterboxing to arguably win the fight.

great thread buddy.

A great british rivalry from the 90s was Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank.In Benn you had the working mans pick the type of boxer who didnt give a shit and was 1 bad mofo who when he stepped into the ring had some bad intentions.In the other corner you Chris Eubank,the up his own arse dont really care if i endear myself to the fans type.The guy wore a fucking MONACLE when not in the ring.These 2 absolutely hated each other and it showed in there 2 fights.With Eubank winning the 1st and a draw in the 2nd.

Other rivalries that i loved were gatti,ward trilogy.Obviously the 2 controversial pac-marquez fights were awesome with pac starching JMM in the 1st round putting him on his ass 3 times and JMM coming back using his counterboxing to arguably win the fight.

great thread buddy.

Thanks for the support.

You know I knew there was one I was missing that I really wanted to add and the Eubank-Benn one was it. Yea they had a freakin hatred for each other, something you don't see too much of anymore in boxing, unless you were fighting Myorga. But yes these guys let each other have it when theey stepped into the ring. Those were some great fights.

Definitely Arturo Gatti vs. Micky Ward.

One of my favorite images in the history of sports is seeing Arturo Gatti and Micky Ward both laid up in hospital beds right next to each other right after one of their classic, brutal fights, and both just laughing up a storm having a great time.

This feud was truly built on mutual respect and admiration between both fighters. If you ask me, it was the Magic vs. Bird of Boxing. Sure, their names aren't as big as a lot of others in the sport's history, but both always came to fight, and both always put on a fantastic show. And man... when you put them in the ring with each other, all 3 times you witnessed an absolute war.

Here's a tribute to the feud so you can see for yourself just how special it was. Enjoy:

[YOUTUBE]xJ3mP98Y28E[/YOUTUBE]​

I love watching the ward,gatti trilogy,i seem to watch any 1 of there fights whenever im bored and want to be taken back to better times lol,which fight is your favourite?
I miss Arturo :sad:

WAR THUNDER!!

I love watching the ward,gatti trilogy,i seem to watch any 1 of there fights whenever im bored and want to be taken back to better times lol,which fight is your favourite?
I miss Arturo :sad:

WAR THUNDER!!

Definitely the first one, which contained easily the greatest round in the history of Boxing:

[YOUTUBE]71tRlcy5Nbo[/YOUTUBE]​

And yeah... it sucks how Arutro went. He was clearly murdered by his bitch of a girlfriend, and she got off completely scott free. Makes me fucking sick just thinking about it.

But, he still gave a lot to this World with his fights. And it's just not the Ward trilogy, but this guy was in COUNTLESS classic fights all throughout his career. He had perhaps, pound for pound, the best chin in the history of the sport, and his toughness was just unreal. I definitely, definitely miss him as well. It's truly a shame he's not with us anymore.

With out a doubt in my mind. Vazquez/Marquez Trilogy.
All three fights never had a boring round. Even though the first one was stopped early, it was still a great fight to witness. My favorite fight of the trilogy would have to be the third one.

The only one, so far, to make it all 12 rounds, was just, as the saying goes, a boxing clinic! All 12 rounds of action, just no-stop!..That third left me speechless, just seeing two amazing boxers go at it. A fight to remember. I can't wait for number IV

while i have loved the vazquez/marquez trilogy.I dont hold out much hope for this upcoming 4th fight as i simply think neither have much left with Vazquez being the more shot of the 2.I think it will be decent while it lasts but the main thing i am happy about is that these 2 warriors are finally getting the big pay day that they deserve,sources say that this is BY FAR the biggest pay day any of the 2 boxers have recieved and it is fucking truely deserved by both men.My prediction is Marquez by ko round 5/6.

Hey Yo!
My favourite feud although they have only had one fight is the Anthony Mundine v Danny Green feud. Now they still occassionally have a war of words and there's always rumours of a rematch which i am dieing to see. It's special to me because it's the only time i was into boxing in Australia because boxing is not as big here as the U.S as these guys made me watch every conference interview you name it becuase i wanted to see who was gonna be the better man and so far it is Anthony 'the man' Mundine

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back