Yao Ming To Hall Of Fame As A Contributor

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/6847642/yao-ming-join-hall-fame-contributor-early-2012

Yao Ming is being discussed as a member of the Basketball Hall of Fame as a contributor as early as 2012. My question is are you ok with that?

Contributors are added to the Hall of Fame in most classes. Some that have been inducted (in no order):

Dick Vitale: for commentary and bringing attention to basketball

Jerry Buss: owns the Lakers and WNBA's Sparks and has won a ton of championships as owner

Meadowlark Lemon: played for the Globetrotters for nearly 30 years and was known as the Clown Prince of Basketball.

Abraham Saperstein: owner/coach of the Globetrotters

All former NBA Commissioners

Yao would (most likely) go in for spreading basketball and the popularity of the game to China.

Is this something that works for you? Are there any issues you have with this? Are you ok with it?

As crazy as it may sound, I think I am okay with it, especially if they do emphasize the fact that it is for his part in spreading the game to China and not his actual playing career. China is a huge market for any sort of entertainment company, and Yao helped open that door for the NBA and made it one of the largest markets for the NBA. Yao's playing career may not have been much, but I believe what he did for the game off the court by deciding to come state-side is Hall-of-Fame worthy.

It's not crazy at all and I am perfectly fine with it. In fact it would be wrong if it didn't happen. China is a huge global market and the NBA is easily the most popular worldwide of the four major American sports. Yao is almost solely responsible for the popularity of the game throughout the entire continent of Asia. There is a reason he led the all star fan voting almost every year he was in the league.

No other international player has ever had the global impact on the NBA that Yao did and I highly doubt any other future international player will be able to do what he did. This is a no brainer.

I think Yao is a HOFer as a contributor and there is no arguing it. Best and most popular Asian basketball player ever. When Yao would play Yi Jianlian there would be Superbowl like rating in China. Really spread the game to the Chinese market and was like an 8 time all star. As a player, no. As a contributor, yes.

Yao Ming completely deserves to go in the Hall of Fame for what he's done for the NBA's popularity. Let's face, the global impact Yao had really got the NBA some fans. And that's because China hasn't really seen that many dominant players, so to see Yao play greatly for a few seasons, make the playoffs a few times, and overall, be a nice guy, he kept them watching and following the NBA. It would be a shame if he didn't get in for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back