Xbox 360: Red Rings of Death

TheOneBigWill

[This Space for Rent]
Okay, I'm unclear on if anyone has encountered this issue before or not. I'm making this thread to help those of you out, incase you haven't and do in the future.

Microsoft are morons. I need to make this statement very clear, so there isn't confusion. They will attempt somehow blaming you for this accident, when in fact it is purely and 99.9% of the time, their doing because they rushed a bunch of their systems to market early.

My first xbox system worked fine without any problems for around a year. It randomly one day decided to freeze up on a game. (Madden 2007, I was playing at the time) I reloaded the system, and it gave me the three red lights. I heard about what I thought was a random occurance in which only happened to a couple. I turned it off, then back on.. system started up normally. Then froze about 15 minutes into the game, again. Turned it off, then back on.. once again, it froze about the same amount of time in. Turned it off, then back on.. and nothing. Red lights came back and stayed back.

This is an internal issue that microsoft has been apparently unable to prevent in all the regular xbox 360 consoles. The Elites apparently don't have this problem. (Or so I was told) So this is the point..

How to Fix It: The first thing you're going to need to do, is make sure it isn't in the cords. Check to make sure everything is hooked up properly, then make sure the power supply box isn't fried. If all is well, then its the console. If thats the case.. call this number.

1-800-4MY-XBOX

Assistance by phone seven days a week.
1-800-4MY-XBOX

International (direct dial to U.S.): 425-635-7180

Hearing Impaired (TDD device): 1-866-740-9269 or 425-635-7102

Hours of operation (every day):
9:00 A.M. to 1:00 A.M. Eastern Time
6:00 A.M. to 10:00 P.M. Pacific Time

Just follow the machine instructions, you'll need to say "repair" then "set-up repair." (unless you're checking status of a current repair) It'll send you to a customer support tech, at which point you'll have to give them a bunch of information about your system.

If they try giving you crap over your warrenty being expired, and trying to get you to pay, re-explain to them very carefully that its the 3 red lights problem, and they SHOULD explain the repairs will be completely free of charge. They'll ship you a box to put your console in. Its free shipping, but you MUST have a U.P.S. Store nearby, because thats where you'll have to take it, to ship it back.

Upon receiving the box, you'll need to put your console (or anything extra if they instruct you do to so) into their box. You need to seal the box with the tape they've sent to seal it with, then you'll have to write down the "reference number" they give you, on the box. (They should tell you where) Upon doing all this, immediately get it to the U.P.S. store.. if you do NOT send the package within 5-10 days after receiving the box from them, the order will be cancelled and you'll either be screwed, or have to start over.

When you ship it, everything will be fine and it'll be a waiting game. They'll either fix your system, or ship you a new one. This process takes roughly 1 month, if you do it as soon as you get the box. IF you've somehow attempted to fix the system by taking it apart, they'll ship your original back, still broken, and they'll explain that you will have to buy a new one because they have no way of knowing that you didn't screw it up yourself.

Personal Note: I sent mine away back in December/Jan. and received it about a month later. Its June, and I was playing Assassin's Creed earlier tonight. I paused the game to go downstairs, upon coming back up, the screen was blurred, and the television was making a buzzing noise because the game had froze. I turned the system off, and upon turning it back on.. received my second set of 3 red rings.

They tried swerving me by saying my warrenty had expired, but they'd be "nice" and fix it for free, since it was regarding the rings. Since this is also the second time, IF this was my original system (I truly don't know) they might be sending me a complete new one. I was told to send in the power supply box and cord as well this time, whereas the first time I didn't have to.

All in all, I'm definately not happy that less than half a year after this issue happened the first time.. and its once again happened. If I get it back, and it happens again.. I'm demanding they send me a whole new system, or an Elite that won't screw up at all.

Hmm, I almost had to deal with the Three Lights the first day I got mine. It was Christmas, and we decided to move it while it was on. As soon as I heard a weird buzzing noise, I turned the console off. Turned it back on, and it was fine. I narrowly escaped that situation.

I have to ask, if they send you a new console, do they send it with the original hard drive? I personally think it's totally stupid if they screw you out of all the time you put into their games. I think it would be enough for someone to "jump ship" to PS3 or Wii.

the red rings is pretty much only a problem with the first run or 2, baring a few exceptions, and with all the new releases of the 360, to make up for this problem all xbox 360's come with a 3 year warrenty, so if you have that, its pretty much impossible for your xbox to have its warrenty expired, as the 360 was only released November 2005, so any 3 year warrenty no matter were you get it, can't have expired yet

also to big ben, it would of only made the weird buzzing sound when you moved it as you made the disc move which causes it to spin out of place, not a system problem, that was your own fault there

I just got my second three red rings recently, except this time microsoft said "they were not able to replicate the problem." They sent my system back still broken, and I am now without a 360.

It sucks because I had both ps3 and 360, and was one of the biggest 360 supporters at work and with my friends. In the end I was wrong because while I enjoyed my 360 more, at least my PS3 actually works. This is the one factor that Microsoft fans fail to bring up in an argument, the fact that an overwhelming number of systems from launch will fail.

I've had a red ring once in a year of owning the 360, and my girlfriends brother had a red ring. However, these rings were only caused by an electric surge or the power cord not being in correctly and was soon quickly fixed. I about shit my pants when it came on and it would have wound up thrown threw the window, but I wiggled it a little bit and it worked.

I also own both, and was really big on the 360, but things like Red Rings of death just don't happen on the PS3. It's Microsoft trying to get a quick jump on the competition and they put an inferior product on the market in almost any way shape and form. If it weren't for XBox Live, My 360 would just be sitting and collecting dust.

This is why I don't own an Xbox. I bought a Wii a few months ago, and it's fine. I bought a PS3 a few days ago, and it only froze on me once while online. I have a friend thats always bitching at me to buy an Xbox, but I already told him I fear the Rings of Death, and he told me it would only happen if I dropped it or somthing... Oh that poor bastard...

^^ Any 360 currently being sold new is fine. They have the new hardware and you will not get the red rings, unless you drop it. What you have to watch out for is if you are buying a used system. Some people will even buy an Elite, change the outer case with their broken system and sell it as an Elite on Ebay while they keep the real thing in a white case.

This whole situation was BS to begin with, so Microsoft has lost a lot of support.

I brought my 360 about a year ago and its only displayed the red lights once, however i managed to save it, but now about 2 months later it keeps on freezing but the red lights dont come up does anyone know whats going on with it?

I brought my 360 about a year ago and its only displayed the red lights once, however i managed to save it, but now about 2 months later it keeps on freezing but the red lights dont come up does anyone know whats going on with it?

Thats what happened to me the second time and Microsoft refused to fix it. The red rings would come on, but with the harddrive off, they wouldn't. Microsoft requires you to keep the hard drive and send just the unit. After I did that they told me they couldn't replicate the problem and sent my broken unit back. Try complain a lot and see what they do. I was trying but I don't have the time to argue with them. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back