X-Men: First Class

JGlass

Unregistered User
The first trailer for X-Men: First Class is out, and can be watched here: http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1434032665/

It looks like Magneto and Professor X are teaming up to take on those commie bastards, which is a decent idea, except Magneto and Professor X were already at odds when Xavier created the X-Men. Still, it looks like it'll be more about the X-Men facing off against supernatural forces like Azazel (the red dude) and his minions.

Things I like about the trailer

The X-Men are wearing their classic outfits
It looks like it'll be action packed with all the mutants getting to use their awesome powers.
Looks like it'll have a lot of backstory

Things I didn't like about the trailer

Where's Iceman? Angel? Marvel Girl? It looks like they're replacing Iceman with Havok, Angel with Angel Salvadore (Tempest), and Marvel Girl with Emma Frost. This is just all all wrong.

Why does Professor X ALWAYS have an English accent? He's from New York.

Magneto and Professor X were not friends during the days of the original X-Men.

Mystique is in it. Why? She came into the picture in 1978, and the X-Men formed in 1963.

The beast wasn't a furry blue cat in the original X-Men, he was still normal. He only turned blue and fuzzy after a science experiment gone wrong.

Emma Frost replaces Jean Grey? I'm all for Emma Frost and her ****ty outfits, but I wouldn't mind having a hot red head in skimpy outfits either. Not only would she turn me on, but I'd also get a woody for continuity.

After seeing the trailer, I'm a little disappointed and skeptical about how much I'll like it as a comic book fan, but excited to see it none the less.

I suppose I'll offer my two cents. I think it looks pretty solid. You have to remember that this is going to be a prequel to the films and explain the relationships between the characters relating to the films, not the comics. So stuff like Mystique being in there and Xavier having an English accent are more to do with them trying to retain the continuity of the film. McAvoy's a good choice to play a young Xavier and I like the casting of Fassbender as Erik/Magneto, he has the acting talent and I he looks menacing enough. My biggest problem is that some of the characters are odd choices. Emma Frost, like you said, is a poor replacement for Jean. I would rather have seen Storm in the film but I guess they wanted another telekinetic mutant. Kevin Bacon's going to be playing Sebastian Shaw here too so that's going to be an interesting one to watch. Overall I'd say it looks solid, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

I think it looks pretty awesome, and while hardcore fans of the series are obsessed with continuity aspect of the series (and I would prefer the timeline to be accurate, even though I just an average fan), changes do have to be made to make the movie more marketable and in line with the previous movies rather than the comic books. You need to remember that most people who have seen the films will not have read the comic books.

I like the idea of the original suits, I was never a fan of the X-Men in their all-black outfits, and the ommision of Jean Grey is a bit of a kick in the balls, but this new woman looks hot anyway.

I have really enjoyed all the previous X-Men films, and I expect I will love this one too

Sure there are quite a few things wrong with it, being an X-Men comic fan myself. However the movies are in a different marvel-verse than the comics, which gives them more reign over what they do in them. I do like how everything looked in the movie though. I wasn't looking forward to it when I first heard about it, but I am looking forward to it now after viewing that trailer.

The beast wasn't a furry blue cat in the original X-Men, he was still normal. He only turned blue and fuzzy after a science experiment gone wrong.

This comment, I agree with you but I believe in the trailer at about the 1:16 mark you see Hank turning into the Beast, quite possibly after the science experiment, then again with the way he looks it could very well be his actual secondary mutation taking place.

Yes there is alot of confusion on Beast going blue. Originally the blue fur thing was just believed to be a failed experiment but later on the writers decided the experiment simply happened to be something that triggered his secondary mutation.

This movie lookslokay but honestly it just looks something they quickly scrapped together.

Ugh, and I thought my expectations for The Green Lantern were incredibly low.

The bulk of the cast doesn't excite me at all here. I don't have a problem with McAvoy playing Charles Xavier, but I'm not high on everyone else. The special effects don't look all that great, and the action scenes look kind of cheesy. Also, they're going to use Emma Frost instead of Jean Grey! I don't hate Frost, but I think Grey's character is much more compelling. I know I might sound very bitter about this film, but the last two X-Men films left a bad taste in my mouth. X-Men 3: The Last Stand was very bad, and I thought X-Men Origins: Wolverine was a horrendous piece of shit.

Trailers are supposed to help build your excitement for an upcoming film. You're anticipation level should be through the roof, as you wait on the movie. This trailer just disappoints me so much, and I might wait for this one to be released on DVD.

I saw the trailer recently and, as much as I love the X-Men, I wasn't impressed at all. In fact, I was more confused than anything.

The film looks somewhat low budget, the story seems all over the place as well as the characters. It's like they had a dart board of X-Men characters and just picked whatever was hit. Hell, mid-way through the trailer, I half-expected to see Gambit flirting with Dark Phoenix on Asteroid M.

The Hellfire Club is an interesting choice of villains; can't wait to see where that goes. One minor complaint: I wish they would have stuck with Magneto's helmet design from the first three films instead of the faithful yet overly cartoony version they went with.

I really want this to be good, but my expectations are pretty low right now. Hopefully they can surprise me.

I will say the only excuse they have for it being low budget is that it takes place in the past and I think the reason they chose Magneto's old helmet becuase probably he was still young and since this was the 60s he was still developing the concept of the helmet. Remember we saw how Cerebro looked in the trailers and since the helmet idea was branched from Cerebro lets not expect the helmet to look too good either.

I think it looks pretty good actually.

Like others though, the continuity seems a bit off. I get that the movies are different than the comics, but a teenage Emma Frost meets a "middle-aged" Charles Xavier (balding and all) but in this Emma is a young woman and Charles is a young man. It just gets annoying then you ignore what you yourself have already done (like in X-Men last stand when Dark Phoenix, who was literally dissolving people out of existence, could only peel back Wolverine's skin [which healed in real time] whereas it took Wolverine a good 20 seconds to heal a cut on his forehead after getting hit with a tree by Sabertooth in the first movie).

By all means, deviate from the comics. I don't expect a literal translation. But please stop ignoring what has happened in prior movies in your own series.

Also with Emma Frost if they wanted to get viewers and stay true to the comics 1. they should've sticked with th eold girl. she looked better. the women they're using looks too old and two they should've like amplified her booty and breast. Seriously this is Emma Frost we're talking about who in the comics has said to use plastic surgery. the women in here looks flat chested a bit for the role.. though iwont make a big deal about this caus im no pervert.

Well at least this one has some things going for it.

First, it's following X-Men Origins: Wolverine (in terms of release), which was an insufferable piece of shit and therefore by default anything that follows it has to be better.

Second, the cast is pretty sweet. I don't know how well they'll fit into their respective roles but McAvoy and Fassbender should definitely play off each other well. There's also the fact that they're uh... actually good actors. So I'm hoping at the very least, they'll be engaging and interesting. And they've got some up and comers in there as well to keep it fresh.

Third, the films events take place way before all of the other (recent) X-Men films so it's a clean slate and there's a lot of potential there.

Four, unlike X-Men Origins: Wolverine, it looks like they've spent more than $20 on their special effects so it won't look like it was put together by a bunch of tenth graders in Windows Movie Maker.

Of course it could end up being nothing more than a typical Marvel action film but I'm hoping Matthew Vaughn can do better than that.

This trailer doesn't excite or build anticipation. It feels too low key. Maybe it was the choice of background music. I think comic book movie trailers should more or less be loud and flashy. Props for them trying to be different but it didn't work well imo. The special effects wasn't that impressive. CGI in a Final Fantasy looked and felt more epic. I think the reason that there is no Iceman is because they want to keep continuity in the storyline with Iceman being younger than this generation of mutant.

But I will still watch the movie because a) It is X-men. If I can tolerate Wolverine Origins I can tolerate any comic book movie. b) The storyline of friends becoming foes because of different ideology always make for good drama. c) The cast seem to contain solid actors. d) EMMA FROST WOOT.

Just got back from seeing Paul (very funny btw, not Spaced funny mind you, but funny.) and they had the X-Men: First Class trailer.
Lots of things about the chronology (of the films and/or comics) don't add up in seemingly very big ways. Regardless, I found the preview engaging. From the trailer I should assume the X-Men's first big mission is the Cuban Missile Crisis (or something similar)? Seeing as this is The Avenger's prequel summer, I'm not too concerned about the X-Men: First Class attempt no matter what happens. Thor and Captain America, however, better not suck.

On the X-Men front, if anything I'm more upset to see Darren Aronofsky leaving the helm of The Wolverine.

And finally, speaking of trailers, they also showed a Her Highness trailer. Natalie Portman + Metal Thong = wonderful.

i think they may be taking X-men to far now. making another prequel to the movies. why wont they throw in the towel? they had 3 sucessful movies, an anime thing on tv and comic books. i will watch this movie cause it is X-Men, but i dunno if ill like it or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back