WZ Hall of Fame Induction: Randy "Macho Man" Savage

Should Savage go in the WZ Hall of Fame?

• Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Yeah! (Yes)

• The Vince McMahon option (No)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tastycles

Turn Bayley heel
With almost twice as many votes as anybody else in the initial voting, Randy Savage is the first man up for induction in its new inception. The nominations process is ongoing and as soon as somebody reaches the level of support I deem necessary, they will get one of these threads, so keep your nominations coming at the link below, but without further ado, let us get on to Savage.

Nominations Thread

Randy Savage

RandySavage068.jpg

Randy Savage is by far one of the biggest names of his era. Born to the recently deceased Angelo Poffo, he debuted in the 70s before moving to Poffo's own outlaw ICW promotion where he feuded his brother Lanny. There, he won the title many times, before moving to CWA, an AWA affiliate. There, he and Lanny teamed and had a noteworthy feud with the Rock 'n' Roll Express that included a huge table spot in 1984.

However, it was in 1985 that he made his first big splash, debuting in WWF alongside his wife and manager Miss Elizabeth. Early in his WWF tenure, he was second in The Wrestling Classic 16-man tournament. Savage was a heel when he arrived, and even managed a countout win against Hulk Hogan in a WWF Title match, before lowering his sights to the Intercontinental Championship.

Following a lengthy feud with Tito Santana, he won the title in early 1986, and defended it at WrestleMania 2 against the veteran George "The Animal" Steele, who had developed an unhealthy obsession with Elizabeth. He spent the rest of 1986 feuding with the legendary Bruno Sammartino and Jake "The Snake" Roberts, before engaging in a lengthy feud with Ricky Steamboat, culminating in one of the greatest matches of all time at WrestleMania III.

Having lost the title, he turned face, winning the King of the Ring tournament later in 1987, before attempting to win his title back from Honky Tonk Man, who had won it off Steamboat. He was subject to a beatdown from Honky and the Harts, but Elizabeth got Hogan to save him, planting the seeds for what happened next.

After a few more failed attempts at beating Honky, he entered the tournament at WrestleMania IV. After big wins in the early rounds, he faced Ted DiBiase, supported by Andre the Giant in the final. Again, Hogan came to help him and the Mega Powers were born as Savage won his first WWF title.

1988 was spent with Savage defending his title and fighting various heels alongside Hulk Hogan until turning heel after Hogan's perceived closeness with Elizabeth got too much for him. The MegaPowers exploded at WrestleMania V and Savage dropped his title. After a bit of a continuation of his feud with Hogan, he beat Jim Duggan for the "King" title that had come through Harley Race and Haku and replaced Elizabeth with Sensational Sherri.

He plodded through the rest of 1989 and 1990 with largely pointless feuds, most notably with Dusty Rhodes who he faced in the WWF's first intergender match alongside Sherri, while Rhodes was accompanied by Sapphire at WrestleMania VI. He then started to feud with WWF Champion Ultimate Warrior, eventually costing Warrior the title at the Royal Rumble in 1991.

This led to a retirement match at WrestleMania VII, which Savage lost. He was beaten down by Sherri after the match, until Elizabeth saved him. He stayed around on the product without wrestling, even marrying Elizabeth at Summerslam, before beginning a feud with Jake Roberts, who crashed the wedding reception. He returned to the ring and beat Roberts at This Tuesday in Texas, though the feud continued into 1992.

He then embarked in a feud with Ric Flair, beating him for his second WWF Title reign. He held the title over the Summer, feuding with Warrior, before dropping the title to Flair. He faced Flair and Razor Ramon at Survivor Series 1992 with Perfect, a replacement for the sacked Warrior.

The rest of his WWF career was on the wind down, mostly performing as a commentator on the new Raw show, though he did come second in the 1993 Royal Rumble, becoming the first man to ground Yokozuna. Following feuds over ex-Demolition luminaries Crush and Repo Man, Savage left the WWF for WCW in late 1994.

He debuted as a face at Starrcade, and didn't do much for his first few months in the company. Eventually he started to feud with Flair again, and won the vacant WCW World Title at World War 3 in 1995. He and Flair exchanged the title back and forth over the next couple of months. Savage's next major storyline was being a part of the WCW's defense against the nWo.

He briefly left the promotion, only to return in early 1997, having joined the nWo. He was reunited with Elizabeth, despite being divorced in real life, and feuded with DDP. After this, he won his third WCW title, setting in motion the events that caused the nWo to split into the Wolfpac and Hollywood factions, but he lost the title the next night and left the company for knee surgery.

He redebuted with his new girlfriend and valet Gorgeous George, named for the 1940s wrestler whose trademark Savage owned, in tow. Shortly after redebuting, he was joined by more valets, Madusa and a young Molly Holly as "Miss Madness" forming Team Madness. Sid Vicious helped him to win his final World title in a tag match, only for him to lose it to Hogan the next day. Team madness disbanded,and following a feud with Dennis Rodman, he joined the Millionaires Club until he left the company.

That was it for Savage in wrestling, except for a brief toe in the water in TNA in a tag match. He has spent the rest of the time since his career as a voice for a few cartoons and had a brief role in Spiderman.

So, there we have it, Savage in a nutshell. If you believe the man who only ever dropped World Titles to the two men already in the Hall should join them in there, then vote in the poll. Votes backed by a post shall count double, in order to increase participation.

I voted YES & there was ZERO doubt in my mind about it. Being older now, im more of a fan of the heels- they are just more entertaining to me. But when I was younger- it was all about the faces: Hogan, Hart, British Bulldogs, guys like that. BUt even when I was a kid- my main man was The Macho Man, hands down!

The fact that we shared the same first name was obviously very cool to me at age 7 or so. Being with Miss Elizabeth didnt hurt the cause either. I loved how FIRED-UP he got in every interview. Then 2 seconds later...he's basically whispering. Then screaming again 5 seconds after that. He worked the stick like it was going out of style! & back then- I didnt even know what mic-work was.

I loved the music he came down to the ring to. I loved the glittery 'robe' ...I guess you would call it. I always wore my sunglasses when I watched him, does that tell you anything about how much Randy Savage was my boy? The elbow drop off the top rope, always preceeded by the fixing of the tights & the swirl of the finger!

My favorite wrestler EVER!! "Cuz- Im The Macho Man Randy Savage. Im the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. Im funky like a monkey. Skyyys the limit & space is the place!"

OHHHHHHHH YEAHHHH! DIG IT!

No doubt about it. Savage is easily one of the best wrestlers to step foot in a WWE ring. He had great success in the WWE during the Hogan era. That was pretty tough to do if you ask me. Savage was a two time WWE champ, plus we can't forget what he accomplished in WCW as well. He had one of the best matches in Mania history against Steamboat and one of the best feel good moments after he lost to Ultimate Warrior. Him and Liz reunited was truly special and was a great moment. An easy OHHHHHH YEAHHHHH!!! from me.

There is no doubt Savage is hall of fame worthy. Aside from Hulk Hogan, Savage was the biggest star in the WWF from 1985-1992. He had the famous “it” factor that’s so hard to define. Savage owned the arena when he entered it and he just came off as a star. He held the IC title for over a year back when it was a very prestigious title. He was fantastic as both a heel and a face and really knew how to work the mic. Savage was definitely one of the better in ring workers during his time with the WWF and was a master of psychology. The emotion and intensity that Savage put in his feuds is unmatched. It didn’t matter if he was in a main event feud with Hogan or Flair, or a mid card feud with Duggan or Beefcake. Savage always sold his feuds in a way that truly made you feel the hatred he had for his opponents. I’ve often said Savage was the original Mr. WrestleMania. Take a look at WM 3-8. Savage has had a big WrestleMania moment in each while shining in big matches. All this was only from the WWF and is enough to warrant a HOF induction. Factor in WCW and that even furthers the case. I think the votes tell the story. I’d like to hear the argument from the guy who voted no.

There should be no doubt in anybody's mind...Macho Man Randy Savage is a first-ballot Hall of Famer. He meant so much in the WWF during the 80s in his classic feuds with Ricky The Dragon Steamboat culminating with their epic match at WM 3 and then later becoming the perfect foil to Hulk Hogan as the Mega Powers exploded at WM 5.

After his departure from the WWF and moved onto the scene in WCW, he had some epic battles with DDP and of course fighting against, and alongside, the nWo.

He is one of the most influential wrestlers in the history of this great sport.

According to the polls, there are two people that voted no. I would like to call you out right now and please state your reasons why you don't believe that Randy Savage should be inducted into the WrestleZone Hall of Fame. It's mind-boggling to say the least.

Probably trying to be unique or are 'shareholders' or something :)

I see absolutely no reason at all why Randy Savage shouldnt get in, he had a glorious career and some fantastic matches that are well praised decades later. Seems like this hall of fame is going to be inducting the predictable wrestlers at first, though that makes sense, it shall be very interesting when we get to a more heated induction such as Chris Benoit or Sting.

First ballot is right! I'm obviously biased because I'm a huge Savage fan, but how can he not be in the HOF. Koko B. Ware is in the HOF for christ's sake. Savage and Steamboat had arguably the greatest wrestling match at a Wrestlemania and possibly even of the entire 1980s. Savage not only was a huge wrestling star, he crossed over into the mainstream. People knew who he was. He was on Arsenio. He was the voice of Slim Jims for a number of years. Everyone knew who The Macho Man was. The voice alone brought countless parodies by every teenage boy during his run.

Honestly, I cant even believe we are debating this. Is there really any debate?

no disrespect to the one who started this thread but whats the point here? any one with half a brain would vote yes, you cant deny savages importance to pro wrestling he is easily one of the top 10 guys ,maybee even top 5 in the history of the sport, at least as far as name recognition and popularity goes.

When it comes to Savage being in any wrestling HoF, it's a very simple "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" The guy pulled memorable matches out of everyone he worked with. Heel or face he connected with the crowd. He was a face that won the title while Hogan was around. He was that good.

There isn't much of an argument against Savage getting in, however, i know there will be those who say his career is greatly overshadowed by Hogan and that Hogan was more over, better, blah, blah, blah. None of that has anything to do with why or why not he should get this honor, because the fact is: Randy Savage was one of the top in ring performers of all time, and not only did he engage in classic feuds in both WWE and WCW, he was a huge draw for WWE, and was so well know he became an advertising spokesperson. His contributions to wrestling are huge, in that he was one of the first to introduce a more fast paced style that truly changed the way many young wrestlers performed. He is also a top ten or better promo man. Randy Savage is one of the most recognizable people in the annals of wrestling history and absolutely deserves HOF induction, in fact any HOF that would deny his entry would be, in my opinion, questionable to say the least.

no disrespect to the one who started this thread but whats the point here? any one with half a brain would vote yes, you cant deny savages importance to pro wrestling he is easily one of the top 10 guys ,maybee even top 5 in the history of the sport, at least as far as name recognition and popularity goes.

The point of this thread is democracy. I could put whoever I want in the Hall of Fame, but then it becomes the Tastycles hall of fame, and it isn't fair. The first few inductees will obviously be in without much trouble, but it is the ones that come later where the issue arises.

Anyway, Savage got a yes vote from me for the fact that I don't think anyone has been as good an all rounder as him. What he lacked in popularity to Hogan, he made up for in technique and he has had some of the best matches ever, particularly those at WrestleManias III & VIII. Randy Savage is one of the greatest wrestlers ever, and as a result, I think he is more than worthy of being inducted into the Wrestlezone Hall of Fame.

I'd like to know what Ferbian and the other voter have against Savage to not be voted in.

Seriously, he was the guy right behind Hogan in that time period. He was an awesome heel or face, and was one of the best performers during that time. Like we all know, and Tasty I think pointed out, he and Ricky Steamboat had arguably one of the greatest wrestling matches at Wrestlemania III. And just for the sake of the man either being insane or all out for the business, he allowed a snake, I don't care if it was de-venomized or not, a frickin' cobra to bite his arm in the ring. Fuckin' ballsy man. Savage has my vote and it shouldn't even be a question.

Yes, yes, sigh, squeal, and all that junk. Look, Savage deserves a spot in the Hall of Fame, and I believe this is merely a formality. So let's be realistic, and say exactly what "tier" of a Hall of Famer Randy Savage truly is.

To me, in the grand scheme of things, Savage is behind a tier that includes Andre The Giant, Harley Race, The Undertaker, and other such names. I'd say he's on the same level of a Shawn Michaels, who while put on great matches, will never be remembered as a legend among the names of Hogan, Flair, et. all. And that's not a bad thing, many superstars would kill to be in this position. But Savage by himself simply wasn't that great of a draw. He was absolutely behind Hulk Hogan in the pecking order of what would become Vince McMahon's WWE, and was serviceable as World Champion while Hulk Hogan was in the picture. He was never the main guy, but merely a complementary piece. People came to WWE House Shows to see Savage, but it wasn't as though the guy didn't have every trick in the book to get his drawing power. When you're arm in arm with Hulk Hogan, and arguably the most beautiful woman in wrestling in Elizabeth, of course you're going to draw. The guy's matches were fantastic, but if anything, his promos were as bizarre, if not more so, than even The Ultimate Warrior's. I still remember, to this day, a crazed Randy Savage getting into an argument with Gene Okurlund over what Savage assumed to be a crooked mustache. It was then that I realized the man was absolutely the most overrated man on the microphone I've ever seen. Everyone raves about his intensity, but the guy really rambled in everything he said. If it wasn't for his distinct voice, we'd all think he was damn awful on the microphone.

Having said all that, of course he should be in the Hall of Fame. His matches were second to none as it pertained to his Era in the WWE, and began to start a movement for guy's to incorporate the top rope into their arsenal. Think of how many careers were made off being labeled "high fliers"; that, in itself, was ultimately due to Randy Savage, and his unorthodox moveset. He had a great family name, and it only made sense that the guy knew psychology. A former heavyweight champion, and arguably wrestled the best Wrestlemania Match ever, the guy was always a reliable worker for Vince, Eric, or whoever he was working for. You won't get an argument from me as to whether or not the guy deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

But Tasty, if you're going to take this matter seriously, there are plenty more names that deserve the induction before Randy Savage. Andre the Giant comes to mind, so does Lou Thesz, and definitely either Antonio Inoki or Giant Baba. He's a great one, indeed, but he's nowhere near the aforementioned men, in my eyes.

Hulk Hoga, The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin and Randy Macho Man Savage are the 4 most recognized names in wrestling period. These 4 men are known world wide regardless if you watc wrestling or not...no excuse as to why Savage isent ALREADY in the HOF. Vince needs to swallow his pride for wunce n do the right thing. Hell he brought Bret Hart back. If Bret Hart is actually under contract with WWE and is scheduled to WRESTLE at wrestlemania, i believe ANYTHING is possible...come on vince,

I'd like to know what Ferbian and the other voter have against Savage to not be voted in.

I most actually say I felt quite stupid after actually realizing what the poll was all about, because I was seeing that if Randy Savage would've been chosen to enter the Wrestlezone Hall of Fame, that would leave out any other nominations, (as far as I understand it now, the amount that gets enough nominations will get a thread like this) and therefore leaving out the wrestlers I personally nominated to enter the Hall of Fame because those are wrestlers I would much rather see in the Wrestlezone Hall of Fame.
All thou I have no words of praise towards Randy Savage, because I simply have to admit I am absolutely with no knowledge of the WWF days in the 80's other than the fact that Randy Savage and Hulk Hogan was actually around during that time.
And yes you are so very welcome to call me an idiot because of my failure at the voting, and I must admit had I known the true purpose of the poll, I would've voted yes.

Agreed but at some point the younger generation (those people that think WCW/ECW/WWF were the "original wrestling promotions") might not have the respect/understanding of the Macho Man Randy Savage. Reading the induction..i guess we can call it induction post... yes that is the jist of his career but the only way to really appreciate it was to live through it..and people who didn't live through Macho's career wouldn't have the same respect for him.

I voted yes because Savage was a tremendous performer. Both on the Mic and in the ring. I remember his diving elbow and his "dreaded" forearm smash. And the way he turned Elizabeth (RIP) into the vicious valet she was. Absolutely incredible! Savage was truly a mega star that deserved a few more title reigns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back