• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWF VS WCW: John Tenta

John Tenta in...

• WWF (Earthquake, Golga)

• WCW (Avalanche, The Shark)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ruthless-RKO

F*ck Friends, Rather die wiv ma AK!
I know Tenta will really enjoy this thread...so this ones for you pal...

You may know him as Earthquake, Avalanche, The Shark and Golga, but he will be most remembered by his name...

John Anthony Tenta (R.I.P.)
01.jpg

Years in Promotions
WWF: 1989-1993, 1994, 1998-1999, 2001...
WCW: 1994-1997...​
------------------------
Looking at matches, feuds, impact created and accomplishments, what would you say...John Tenta in WWF or WCW???
------------------------
Lets break it down!
------------------------
Feuds
WWF
Ultimate Warrior, Hulk Hogan, Jake Roberts, Money Inc., Yokozuna, The Headbangers...

WCW
Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, Sting, Big Bubba Rogers...
------------------------
Championships & Accomplishments
WWF
1-time WWF Tag Team Championship w/ Typhoon
Royal Rumble Runner Up (1991)

WCW
No accomplishments!
------------------------
My Opinion
Okay, I have to really be one sided here..I have only seen him wrestle in WWF...and also the 2001 Gimmick battle royal. I have seen a lot of his fights on Vintage Collection..and before I made this thread, I did some research about his WCW days and watched a few videos as well...now looking back I have to say much better in WWF. The Natural Disasters deserved a real Tag title run...not the 2 and a half month reign they had...the team was good, they defeated names such as The Bushwackers, Money Inc., Beverly Brothers, The Legion of Doom...His singles run wasnt bad either...coming as a runner up to a Royal Rumble is quite an achievement and to be with Yoka is really good, on top of that he beat Yokazuna a year and half later in a Sumo match(Yes, I do know Tenta was a sumo wrestler)...they could have really built him up I think..
Then he moved to WCW because of Hogan, I'm not really sure it was a good move but then again I don't know if it was a bad one either...His first feud was with Sting, he lost all his matches I believe..He then became known by the name Shark!! Again losing more his matches...So he began wrestling under his real name John Tenta...This is where he began to actually win his matches had a few World title matches against The Giant etc..
Im going to stop their...I'm not going to talk about him and the Human Oddities...(you might know why)...so I'm going to leave it there...
Unfortunately John Tenta passed away on June 7, 2006, after a 2-year battle with bladder cancer at the age of 42..
------------------------
So you know my pick...What would you say??
------------------------
Go on Tenta be the first to reply, tell us why you like him so much!!
Please keep thread on topic..thank you!

In WCW John Tenta was just a knockoff of Earthquake. There was no creativity there. He also didn't really do a lot of memorable stuff there. In WWE he killed Jake's Snake, he seriously injured Hogan and was an upper carder throughout his run there.

:blush: <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Now that we got out of the way, it's indisputably John Tenta, and there's no question about it. Now, in terms of combined gimmicks, WCW may have the edge over Earthquake and Golga. In WCW, he had feuds with Savage, Sting, Hogan, and was a pretty over heel in the earyl days of Hogan's run in WCW. But that doesn't mean the audience wanted to see it. Sadly, by this time, Hulkamania had run its course, and the story of Hulk fighting the Super Heavyweight were no longer interesting. People wanted wrestling matches with cartwheels and flips and shit, and damnit, Tenta wasn't able to provide those.

In the WWE, Earthquake was able to get the heat on Hogan, and put him out of action for a couple months. That right there is as solid a push as you can get for being a SHW in wrestling. He put Hulk Hogan on the sidelines, something no wrestler had ever done in the history of the WWE. It has to be Earthquake, based sheerly on how dominant he'd come to be. He had feuds with Warrior, Hogan, two of the biggest names in the Fed in the day, and did get his Tag Team Title run. I'll argue in another thread, coming soon, that Earthquake deserved to go over Hogan in the 1990 Summerslam, and I stick by that. Still, Earthquake was the exact definition of a monster. WCW was a nice little run, but nothing special. In WWE, he was the man to take Hulk Hogan out.

"He put Hulk Hogan on the sidelines, something no wrestler had ever done in the history of the WWE. It has to be Earthquake, based sheerly on how dominant he'd come to be."

King Kong Bundy put Hulk Hogan on the shelf before their feud at Wrestlemania 2...

However to answer the question Earthquake is how he would and should be remembered... His credentials are Main eventing Summerslam vs Hulk Hogan and becoming a tag team champion.. WCW he was just Ted Turners slap in the face to Vince that I got another one of your WWF established stars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back