WWEs Main Even Scene is in trouble

Hyorinmaru

Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
I've been watching wrestling since 2002 and I've seen pretty much the same people in the Main Event.

Triple H
HBK
Undertaker
Edge
John Cena
Randy Orton
Batista
Jeff Hardy
and a few others like Goldberg and Kevin Nash thrown in there for the hell of it.

Now Triple H, HBK, Undertaker & Batista are/should retire within the next 5 years, some a lot sooner than that.

That leaves us with Edge, Orton, Cena & Hardy and possibly Punk if they build him up the the MITB briefcase the right way this time.

What they should do is be building up people like Kofi, MVP, Christian, Jack Swagger to take the place of the people in the Main Event that are retiring not giving us the same crap we've been watching for years.

I was watching Superstars the other week and the Main Event was Kofi Vs Edge and I was blown away by the match. here it is for the people that haven't seen it

[youtube]FJCPAT6HMGM&[/youtube]

This is the type of match that should be Main Eventing PPVs not the same matches we've been seeing.

My point is that if WWE doesn't cultivate their younger talent and get them ready for the Main Event then they will be in trouble

In 2002, Edge, Cena, Orton, Batista, and Hardy were nowhere near the main event. They were being built towards the main event in the time that you've been watching. In addition to those men, the following stars have had stints in the main event:

-Chris Benoit
-Eddie Guerrero
-JBL
-Chris Jericho
-Rob Van Dam
-The Big Show
-Rey Mysterio
-King Booker
-Kurt Angle
-Brock Lesnar
-Bobby Lashley

And I'm certain I've missed some. The point is that the WWE is always building up new midcarders who will be the main eventers of tomorrow. We have new stars in the tubes now, but there's no reason to rush a guy like Kofi, whose isn't ready to headline and carry a PPV, into the main event. The WWE isn't the most efficient company in the world when it comes to building new guys, but this is a two way problem in that some fans expect new stars to be built overnight. Your expectations aren't in line with reality.

The WWE will be fine.

In 2002, Edge, Cena, Orton, Batista, and Hardy were nowhere near the main event. They were being built towards the main event in the time that you've been watching
Those are the last guys that WWE has built up to the Main Event Properly. I enjoy watching people like Edge, Cena, Orton and Batisat work there way up into the Main Event
The point is that the WWE is always building up new midcarders who will be the main eventers of tomorrow.
Right now they aren't building up anybody. if they were we wouldn't be seeing the same handful of people in the Title Scene
We have new stars in the tubes now, but there's no reason to rush a guy like Kofi, whose isn't ready to headline and carry a PPV, into the main event.
I never said put him in their now I said get him ready. When people like HBK and Undertake retire then there will be a huge void the the Main Event that guys like Kofi should jump into but only if there built as legit Main Eventers, Which is not something i see happening at the moment
The WWE isn't the most efficient company in the world when it comes to building new guys, but this is a two way problem in that some fans expect new stars to be built overnight. Your expectations aren't in line with reality.
I never said overnight I said start. I know building stars into Legit Main Eventers takes a while. Edge had the MITB briefcase for almost a year and had feuds with some of the best while he ad it and when he was ready to cash it in and jump into the main event he did and he's been their ever since. The opposite if this is Punk who won the briefcase last year and beat Edge to win the title so they could keep it on RAW that is the only reason he won it. He lost to everyone and wasn't even in the match that lost him the title.

They don't need to do it fast they need to do it right and they need to start soon.

the main event scene will be fine.

i dont think people need to worry about when taker,hbk,hhh and batista will retire.

they already have guys that can and probably will replace them.
guys like Orton,Cena,Edge,Jericho,Hardy will stick around for a while. some longer than others.

but then you have benjamin,kennedy,swagger,christian,mvp, and punk ready for the next level.

Guys who the WWE are building properly at the moment:

CM Punk: Two time MITB winner (might as well be on the level of the KOTR these days), good ECW title reign, beat JBL as world champion twice and was gaining steam every week, sells plenty of merch, and is a triple crown winner on Raw. He's being built up at a great rate, and has beated Edge two weeks in a row. It's not as though Triple H's first reign was all that. At least Punk is making more for the company now than Hunter was back then. That would mean at this point in his career, Punk has a leg up on the Game at a similar point. And that Triple H guy did okay for himself.

MVP: Has been built in the midcard for a couple years with fueds against heavy hitters such as Chris Benoit, Rey Mysterio, and Jeff and Matt Hardy. Recently he had the chance to call out the WWE Champion Randy Orton. This guy is pegged as a future star, and he's being built well despite my hatred of him.

Christian: Returned at the top of the ECW brand and became the champion very quickly over another hot future prospect. Considering former ECW Champions Big Show, CM Punk, Bobby Lashley, and Matt Hardy went in the right direction when they switched shows, and considering how over the guy is, I'd say I like Christian's chances.

Jack Swagger: Gets decent mic time on ECW on a regular basis, draws decent heat for such an unknown, has victories over Christian, Matt Hardy, Finlay, and topped Tommy Dreamer in their rivalry. Oh, and he survived in the ring for over 15 minutes with the top wrestler in the company. The guy is a prospect and is being booked well.

The Miz: Came up from comedy jobber status and became a modern-day tag team great. Now he's on Raw being booked protectively against John Cena. Dependent on how he's treated by creative, he's got a future.

John Morrison: Involved in two great tag teams, has been the Intercontinental Champion and ECW Champion, and since coming to SmackDown has gotten the rub of a scuffle with Jericho. He's in a fued and has a direction. Odds are he's gonna make it some day.

Don't think the likes of Bourne and Tyson Kidd can't be hot shit in the future, either. And I haven't even mentioned Matt Hardy.

So there are future prospects being built. You just aren't seeing it.

I think the main event and the mid-card picture will become less crowded now that the WWE is trying to re-establish its tag scene. Having the same 15 guys via for the top two belts murks up the water a little bit. Also please don't count out The Miz at this point. He's young, brash, and he's got main event mic skills which is something the WWE loves. Time will tell if he can get it done when the bell rings.

I think they are definately experimenting with The Miz a little bit. Giving him a small "rub" from John Cena is going (and already doing) great things for his career/image. He's got a gimmick that absolutely makes you HATE him. His heat is legit, and I think the WWE senses that and is "testing the waters" with him a bit. Where it will take him? Only time will tell, but its obvious to me that they are testing the waters with The Miz.

The problem isn't building up the main event. I can understand why it feels that way but the WWE has actually done a very good job of slowly building up guys and working them into the rotation when they're ready.

The problem is that while a lot of guys get worked into the rotations there's a few people that are always dominate in the main event. Those names would be Hunter, Cena and to a slightly lesser extent Batista. You always know that the big events will circle around them. Since Cena first won his title both he and Hunter have been in the WWE/World title matches at five 'Manias straight minus Hunter at 23 because of an injury. When any of these guys get near the title they stay near the title for a long time.

This is why so many people have such high hopes for SD!. All three types of poison are on RAW now. SD! is pure. The main events for SD! are never going to involve them so with less so-called star power the likes of Benjamin, Morrison and others who deserve big spots on the card will have to get them.

The WWE's main event scene in trouble? How do you figure? Right now Randy Orton is the man on RAW, Edge is the man on SD, and Jack Swagger is the man on ECW. All of these guys are young and, barring injury, will be main event talent for years to come. Also, let's not forget John Cena, Christian, Jeff Hardy, and CM Punk who are also main event talent who are still young. I also think it's safe to assume that guys like Batista, HBK, HHH, The Big Show and The Undertaker will be sticking around for at least another year or two.

The WWE has done a great job of building main event talent. They have a long list of young guys who have all the potential in the world to reach main event status. Ted Dibiase, Cody Rhodes, Kofi Kingston, John Morrison, The Miz, Evan Bourne, MVP, etc. have all been involved in fairly major storylines over the past year and have shown great talent and skill.

In my opinion, the WWE has too many options and not enough space and time for the talent that could be used in main event matches. The talent pool is deep and the future of the main event scene looks bright.

I don't agree with the fact that the main event scene is trouble but RAW is heading that way more than Smackdown is.

The draft really benefitted Smackdown as you have Jericho, Hardy, Edge, Taker in the main-event with Punk, Morrison, and Umaga working their way up so I have no worries about them.

Christian and Swagger are holding their own in ECW and you always have Henry as a fallback plan and with Bourne's increasing popularity, it is just a matter of time before he makes that jump.

However, RAW really has Cena, Orton, Show, HHH, Batista, and HBK. The latter three could be retiring in the next couple of years and their midcard isn't that strong to develop new main-event talent. MVP is slowing making that transition and Miz will stay in the midcard for a while as will Matt Hardy. After a while it will get repetitive with the Cena/HHH, Orton/HHH, Orton/Batista matches and that will be time for the younger guys to step up.

Well I'm shocked about the whole Swagger thing. I got a feeling that he will be the last of the midcarders to become a main eventer since hes still young and hasn't had the it fued. He had one match against Cena and thats it for terms of guys who are concidered main eventers. On the other hand you got the younger guys like mz, kofi, punk, morison, and mvp.All of these men had more then enough matches with main eventers and all can make a big jump if they get the proper push. Swagger needs allot of developement, mamby another year or two then he can test the waters in raw. As for matt he had his chances to be pushed to main event, had his fueds, worked for a while for WWE, but hasnt made it to main event and isnt likely to get that jump anytime soon.As for the main event picture its in decent shape but needs to establish 3 younger guys to take over whenever HBK, Batista, and Taker leave do to injuries and later retirement. Also establishing 3 guys will be great since Cena is gone for movies and well one main eventer like orton, HHH, Mysterio, or Hardy might get injured. So basically they need a back up plan.

I think WWE has been so boring this Decade! We may have a couple of great matches, but for the most part, very boring stuff!

I dont understand why HBK has not had the WWE TITLE, Taker has had it a few times, and they come from the same ERA!

Main Event Matches that havent Happened!

CENA vs HHH (We need to see more)
Edge vs Y2J
Mr. Kennedy vs Y2J
Orton vs Edge
Taker vs Cena
R-Truth vs MVP
R-Truth should have gone to Raw (major Talent)
R-Truth vs Mr. Kennedy
John Morrison vs Edge
John Morrison vs Jeff Hardy
MVP vs Y2J
CM PUNK ( I dont see him as a main eventer, A mid Card Talent)
Edge ( would have been a mid carder at best in the late 80's early 90's)
HBK vs EDGE
There are still a few great main events left!

WWE's problem is not main event stars, theres plenty that still have a few years in them yet (Edge, Jericho, Orton, HHH, Hardy). The problem is that the company only has 1 megastar (Cena). WWE needs to manufactuer more megastars than it has been doing.

As for pushing the younger talent thats easier said than done though, its easy to say that they should push the younger talent but I really belive that it quite frankly isn't good enough. The only young star that has shown consistant potential is Swagger.

Kofi Kingston is a spot monkey without charisma.

MVP is a one dimensional heel who's style is boring and doesn't appeal to a modern audience.

Christian for all his consistancy and work effort has struggled to make the step up.

CM punk is also a 1 dimensional character who lacks charisma and ring psycology/awareness.

And Orton for all the hype last year and in the run up to wrestlemania is still boring.

WWE is trying to bring up new stars but they aren't good enough compared to what they already have in the main event. Of course a time will come if WWE fails to develop talent which is good enough that they are forced to try guys like MVP and Kingston in the main event. However from what I have seen most of the people you mentioned are not good enough for the main event, and will ultimately be another CM Punk (a fail)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back