• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE vs WCW: Hulk Hogan

Which one?

• WWF/E

• WCW

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ruthless-RKO

F*ck Friends, Rather die wiv ma AK!
Simple enough thread, and it will bring a good debate to the topic aswell..

Hogan was in WWE from 79-80, 83-93, 02-03..
WCW from 94-00...

He was the top babyface in WWE and really bought pro wrestling to life, then he jumped ship to WCW started as a babyface, until 1996, when he turned heel and joined forces with the Outsiders...

Taking in his accomplishments, feuds, the impact he created when he was there etc.. What would you say: Hogan in WWE or WCW??

WCW Championships and Accomplishments
6 time WCW World Heavyweight Champion

WWF/E Championships and Accomplishments
6 time WWF/E Champion
1990, 1991 Royal Rumble Winner
1 time WWE Tag Team Champion w/ Edge
WWE Hall of Fame (Class of 2005)

I would have to say WWF/E, he made a huge impact, brought pro wrestling to life, had more accomplishments and much better feuds...main evented Wrestlemania god knows how many times and put on some spectacular matches...

So what would you say??

I would have to say Hogan in WWE........ I remember sitting on my living room floor and watching Wrestlemania III and when He slammed the 8th wonder of the world I went crazy... I was a young boy at the time but ill never forget that moment.

I'm gonna have to say WWE. The reasons why is that he meant something in the WWE. He completed so many accomplishments in the WWE and considered a legend among many and people get shivers down their spine when they hear the words...... "Whatcha gonna do, when HULKAMANIA RUNS WILD ON YOU!!!". In the WCW he didn't complete much accomplishments. The only things he did was become a 6 time WCW Champion.

tough call.

in WWE, Hogan made wrestling a global thing. everyone knew Hogan.
in WCW, Hogan re-made wrestling a global thing. everyone knew the nWo.

super tough call. the accomplishments are super similar too with 6 Heavyweight Titles in each company.

i might have to give the edge to WWF though for the few more accolades and final matches. i really enjoyed the Wrestlemania match with Rock and McMahon those back-to-back years and his matches with Orton and HBK at Summerslam were also good.

then again, Mr. America was pretty terrible. so maybe that re-gives the edge to WCW.

then again, the Fingerpoke of Doom was super terrible. so that re-re-gives the edge to WWE.

i'm gonna stick with WWE for the following reasons: his match with the Warrior in WWE was much less terrible than the match with the Warrior in WCW, no fingerpoke of doom, major moment for the Andre slam at Mania 3, match with the Rock, match with McMahon (not a technical classic, but for some reason i just love seeing McMahon get beat up and bloody), match with Orton, match with HBK and two title losses to the Undertaker. pretty good stuff.

but it was a close call.

For me, I'm going with Hogan's time in the WWF. In terms of his ability to draw, nobody could touch Hulk Hogan during most of his second run in the WWF. While he may not have been the best in-ring performer, he was the most dominant wrestler of them all. Hulk Hogan had the right character, in the right organization and hit at just the right time. Hulk Hogan helped change what it meant to not only be a wrestler but what a wrestling company could attain. Don't get me wrong, I'm not really a Hulk Hogan fan. I think most of his matches were crap and were severely overrated. But, there's no arguing that the man had charisma. Hulk Hogan is still the longest reigning WWE Champion of the past 25 years, his first run lasted more than 4 years. Hogan will always be more identified with the WWF because that was where Hogan was in his prime both as a wrestler and a personality.

In WCW, Hogan was a force. There was no question of that. However, by this time, Hulk Hogan was older and a lot of his fans were older as well. For me, when Hogan was in WCW, I was really able to gauge just how limited he was in the ring when I may not have been able to circa 1987 at the tender age of 7. I saw that Hogan really wasn't as good in the ring as I thought he was, and that was made even more clear when watching wrestlers like Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, Rey Mysterio, Eddie Guerrero and Dean Malenko. Hogan was still a big draw but, in spite of the propoganda of the Hulk Hogan marks, it wasn't just Hogan that made WCW competition for the WWF. WCW had attracted a lot of talent from the WWF, wrestlers that were still viable inside of the ring, still relevant and had been made into big stars by the WWF. They all played a huge role. While Hogan did the WCW World Heavyweight Championship 6 times, it just never felt "epic" to me in the way that it did in the WWF. As I said earlier, I was older and a little wiser and what made Hogan appealing to me at 5 and 6 years old wasn't nearly as strong when I was in my teens.

i do have to agree with giving the edge to wwf\e. he made wrestling famous. red\yellow was everywhere. he had the greatest feuds (andre, warrior, piper, taker, etc...) the mega powers were great, mr america not so much. lol. people go friggin nuts when his old music hits. he became an icon & helped make wwf\e a huge company.

wcw did have its share of hogan moments. but as big as the heel turn was, you cant count that over his many history making moments w\ wwf\e. plus his title runs werent that great with wcw. imo, the best fued he had was with the giant(show) & the highly anticipated sting battle. but not nearly as great as his matches in wwf\e.

edge: wwf\e

It's tough cause Hogan was the whole F'n show (sorry RVD) for the WWF and WCW. I'm gonna go with WWF cause it was here where Hogan got his fame. And boy did he have it. Hogan in WCW was pretty darn good as well when he formed the nWo with Hall and Nash, but the original is always better, so I say the original incarnation of Hulk Hogan in WWF was the best.

I would definately have to go with WWE becauseHogan was the star of WWF. He was the main reason people most fans watched WWF from 83-to 93. Sure, he was big in WCW too, but only because of the nWo. I'm pretty sure that even if he hadn't been around, WCW would have still been a big success in the late 90's. Although I'm not sure who could have taken Hogan's place and been a credible leader of nWo. Sting perhaps?

Ill go with his WWF years because when I think back on Hulk Hogan, the first thing that comes to mind is him in the red and yellow, coming down to the ring while real american is blasting, it is the first thing that I remember when I think of Hogan. Hogans time in WWF is what made Hogan the most successful wrestler in history and it was also a huge reason why his heel turn worked as well as it did. I always loved the Hollywood Hogan character but if I had to pick one over the other its Hogan as the real american hands down.

His WWF/E run is the right answer, but his time in WCW is being SEVERELY underrated. HOgan did what NOBODY thought as possible, and not only competed with, but DOMINATED Vince for a couple of years. Nobody had done it before, or since, and probably never will as long as Vince is alive. People are trying to dismiss his time, saying it "wasn't JUST him." Well, of course it wasn't JUST him, but it wasn't JUST him in WWF/E either. HOgan jumping to WCW has been widely acknowledged as legitimizing the company on a national scale, and a viable option for other stars to jump ship. Then his heel turn ignited the hottest angle of the 90's in a way that NOBODY else could have.

His time in WCW was incredible and epic. BUt still, his time in WWF/E was better, and that just serves to show how incredible his run in this industry is. The WWF/E, with Hulk HOgan the undeniable forefront and by far the biggest star, completely changed the face of wrestling. Hulkamania gave us some of the most epic moments in pro wrestling history. You'll be hardpressed to find any moments/matches with a more electric feeling then Hulk-Andre, Hulk-Savage, Hulk-Warrior, Hulk-Rock...all of these matches felt like LEGITIMATE life events as they happened, and the crowds were as hot as possible, and there's one common thread: Hogan. He deserves a LOT of the credit for those moments, and he deserves more respect than he tends to get on the internet (not necessarily calling out anyone on this thread), where people whine about workrate when it's really the least important thing for wrestlers.

I'm gonna play the devil's advocate for the sake of argument and say WCW. Sure Hulk Hogan was WWE and made wrestling what it is today. He helped pushed the boundaries of wrestling when it started getting stale in his tenure in WCW and turned wrestling upside down on its head a second time as a much older man. While in WWE, Hogan has epic matches against Andre, Savage, Warrior, Taker, and Piper (three of the four he also faced again in WCW in lesser hyped matches) but also against guys who weren't all that big a deal like Slaughter, Earthquake, Sid Justice. Sure these guys were big at the time, but nowhere near as big on average as the competition Hogan faced in WCW. Hogan wrestled perhaps once every three months while champ in his first major WWE run as champ from 1984 to 1990. In WCW, he defended the title about twice a month and against much stronger competition in Goldberg, Sting, Luger, Flair, Big Show, DDP, Nash, Hall, etc. Mind you most of his matches ended in DQ with an NWO run in. But there was so much talent there and so much more competition that guys like Guerrero, Benoit, Jericho, etc never had the opportunity to climb up the ranks to get to Hogan while he was champ. Hogan was world champ for an entire year, fending off about 30 of the best 40 wrestlers in either promotion.

Hogan was also the leader of the greatest stable in wrestling history, the New World Order, and his Hollywood persona made him hands down the most entertaining and hated heel in history. Nobody before or after could get garbage thrown at him like that, nobody before or after could get senior citizens in the crowd to stick up their middle fingers and stop coming to the shows, nobody before him or after could create so much heat that it would destroy his chances in the future of ever being able to achieve any long term success as a babyface. Hulk Hogan was the biggest face in WWE history but he was by far a better heel in wrestling history period in the WCW as leader of the NWO. If Hogan were to go back to his heel character now, Hogan could very well change wrestling for a third time, even as a 60 year old overexposed cripple.

I know this isn't how a lot of recent wrestling fans and WWE marks see it, but I watched Hogan from 1984 till 2003 and his performances on WCW Nitro, Thunder and at pay per views were just as epic to me as his Survivor Series' and Summerslams. When I want to watch old wrestling, I just youtube WCW Nitro. I could care less about his so called epic matches with Tugboat. However, nothing WCW did could match Wrestlemania and therefore Hogan's epic WM performances (like against Andre, Savage, Warrior, Rock) beat out WCW by far in it's grand stage epicness (vs Sting, Savage, Goldberg). But on a day-to-day, month-to-month basis on live TV and at pay per views for a 3 year period (the WWE equivalent of Hogan's first 9 year run) I found his WCW time just as memorable as his WWE run.

I feel the only good reason fans here think its WWE hands down is that in 1984-1993 WWE was watched and loved by everyone and Hulk Hogan was the WWE..during his WCW run he was WCW but there was also 30 big names alongside him helping carry the company. Some were young guys who were amazing wrestlers (Benoit, Jericho, Guerrero) and some were very well established and almost as big (Flair, Savage, Sting). Hogan didn't have to be the entire focus of WCW because wrestling had changed. Not everyone loved WCW, a lot of people refused to watch and still hate it to this day. In fact, some people look back and see WCW as a blip on the wrestling radar. Since only about half of the wrestling audience Hogan had his first WWE run wasn't watching his big WCW run, one could argue Hogan had a better run where he was loved and watched by an undivided audience rather than where he was watched and appreciated by WCW fans while usually watched and despised by WWE fans.

This is almost impossible to answer bacause Hogan in WWE and WCW were almost exactly the same.

The only difference between the two would be the storylines that he featured in for each company, and overall, the storylines in WWE were far better and more memorable than anything in WCW

In WCW all he did was turn heel with the nWo and the fingerpoke of doom.

In WWE he had his fued with Andre, Savage, Warrior, Shiek, DiBiase, Jake Roberts, Slaughter, the Rock, Undertaker, Vince and many others.

Any one of these fueds is more memorable, and better to watch than anything he did in WCW

Hogan was, at different points in his career, the biggest face in the history of pro wrestling, and possibly the biggest heel in the history of pro wrestling. Hogan's heel run in WCW as Hollywood Hogan was flat out AMAZING. However, without his success as a monster face in the WWF, it never would have been possible. Hollywood Hogan was built on the foundation the Immortal Hulk Hogan laid down. My vote goes to the WWF version.

Cookie 14
Hogan did a whole lot more than WWE home video would leave you to believe by focusing only on his heel turn and the fingerpoke of doom. And you talk about token losers like the Iron Sheik, Ted Dibiase, Jake Roberts, Vince, and Sergeant Slaughter as if they had better matches and feuds with Hogan than WCW guys like Sting, DDP, Luger, Big Show, Ric Flair, Goldberg, Piper, Nash (this list really could go on and on).

Davi 323..you're reasoning is logical but its what you say below that leaves me having a hard time taking you seriously. I have a problem with your little tagline. TNA Impact moved to Mondays as a test run to gauge short term interest..I don't think TNA had serious intentions of competing in a war when they weren't even drawing more than a 1.0 rating. I wonder if there were people like you saying R.I.P. to WCW in 1994 when Hogan came to WCW but couldn't propel WCW out of Orlando until 1996.Right now TNA is like a small weak country or like a store like Kmart and WWE is like the U.S. or like Walmart. I don't think TNA could just come out of nowhere and demolish WWE, just like Kmart couldn't just do everything in its power to put Walmart out of business or New Zealand just couldn't overcome the odds and conquer the U.S.

Seriously? You write a whole paragraph to discuss my signature, and tried to use that as a reason to dispute my logic in Hogan being better in the WWF than he was in WCW? Really? I must have hated Hollywood Hogan. I said such vile things, afterall, I must hate a guy if I make him my avatar. I obviously can't stand someone that I gave credit to as perhaps having the best heel run ever...I must seriously despise a guy who I called AMAZING. I even made the word AMAZING all caps, to emphasize how impressive I thought his heel run in WCW was...But, you can't take it seriously? A dude that has made 5 total posts ever?

My signature came about not because TNA moved to Mondays, but because with all the pompous, arrogant attitudes that TNA management and its fans developed as a result of it. They all made outrageous claims about how it was going to be a war, about how they would overtake the WWE's ratings in no time, about how they were going to do this and that, and they delivered exactly NONE of what they claimed they would.

Rather than write a long spiel about everything, I suggest that you go peruse the WWE vs TNA threads, find all of the topics about comparing TNA to WCW, why TNA failed and WCW succeeded, etc, and then read what I had to say, instead of making assumptions when you know exactly two things...jack and shit.

But back to topic. To expand on my earlier statement, because some people are obviously too ignorant to read what is plain right in front of their eyes, Hollywood Hogan, in WCW, was made possible because of the Immortal Hulk Hogan. If Hulk Hogan in the WWF had just been another wrestler, and not the face of the entire company, a Hogan heel turn in WCW would have been underwhelming, because he would just be another guy. What made Hogan's heel turn so special was the assumption that Hulk Hogan was the ultimate good guy, the one guy who ALWAYS loved the fans, said his prayers, trained and took his vitamins. It worked because Hulk Hogan was expected to be a stalwart bastion of goodness. And Hollywood Hogan shook that stereotype to the ground. Hulk Hogan, the one guy that could never turn heel, turned heel.

And not only did he turn heel, but he was brilliant as a heel. It worked far better than anyone expected. He completely transformed himself, and made it believable. A lot of long time faces try to turn heel, and they suck. They just aren't very good at being bad. But not Hulk Hogan. Hulk Hogan was (here is that word in all caps again) AMAZING at being hated by the crowd. But, he needed that face run in the WWF to set it all up. Without the long time uber good guy status, his heel turn wouldn't have been nearly as shocking. The effectiveness of the heel turn was payoff for the years he spent wearing the red and yellow, as a good guy.

Hulk Hogan was by far greater in WWF, he made wrestling mainstream, he was a part of the reason to why WWE/F is so large today, the popularity he rode on being build for him in WWF is one of the sole reasons he was so popular in WCW if you ask me.

Hulk Hogan accomplished things in both companies, but the accomplishments he had in WWF where he was in his definite prime, the length of his championship reigns, the dominance, the popularity, everything he did in WWF succeeds the legacy he had in WCW, he was insanely over with both promotions, but he was build in WWF, and remains one of their biggest stars ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back