WWE Travel Schedule Over The Years

Mr.Fortuna

Luck is on my side
I was reading earlier old archived results from past years in the WWE and the one thing that really stood out was how many shows used to be put on.

That old motto of shows monday through friday and twice on saturday and twice on sunday was very true. It actually happened, there were even occurances of shows being three times a day across states.

These wrestlers must of been through utter hell being on the road all the time away from their families and such. Imagaine having to work every single day of the week without a break, I understand why they got addicted to pain pills and other substances.

Vince mcMahon was a crazy nut for expecting his wrestlers to go through that type of schedule.

Whats your opinion on the matter.?

i remember in the late 80's,( i think 1988) going to a WWE(F) television taping in South Bend, IN. They taped three shows at the Notre Dame ACC and the PLACE was packed. In my opinion the WWE should do the live Raw, go to a Live Smackdown, then have a Saturday and Sunday show. They should let the performers have time during the week to be at home, do promotional work, etc.

I can see how stressful it is, doing so much work 1 day and then having to travel somewhere new and do it all again can affect a person with the stress, maybe not directly but in some other form like painkillers. They could do ways that are so less stressful, and still get plenty of shows done. Take TNA a few weeks ago for example, how they recorded episodes for 1 week then the week after, that's time to relax, go see family, and deal with other things outside of the job which helps a bunch. Now while I realize i'm talking about TNA.. that's just an example of what WWE could do to help the wrestlers.

One reason why WWE makes as much money as it does is because they draw so well across the country and worldwide for house shows. Being a member of the WWE is like being a member of a traveling circus. If you're looking for a job that gets you home on weekends you should probably find another line of work.

Not to mention that it is not financially feasible to have your entire roster leave one end of the country to go to their hometowns (even on a rotating schedule) and back to the next city for the next string of shows. As was mentioned before, the WWE is the "modern day travelling circus". All performers, execs (most of them), staffers, and drivers must all go to the following destination after another on route. They obviously have a financial plan for the next years' events in order to maintain these routes.

It's a tough schedule to be sure, there's no question about that. However, it's not all that different from how a lot of wrestlers earned a living back when the Territory System was flourishing.

You'd have a wrestler and he might go up into Vince, Sr.'s territory and work for a few weeks, then he'd be on the road to work some dates down in Eddie Graham's Championship Wrestling from Florida. From there, it'd be up to working the Memphis & various other Tennessee territories for a month, then you'd be off to work for Pacific Northwest Wrestling up in Oregon for a week or so before heading down to Dallas to work some shows for Fritz Von Erich and on and on it went. That's how the majority of wrestlers did it back in the day to make their money. Sometimes they'd stay in a territory for an extended period of time but, more often than not, they were off down the road in search of their next paycheck.

In WWE, guys want that big money and that rush from wrestling in front of 5,000 or 10,000 fans at a house show then the hellish schedule is all part of it. There's always some sort of trade off for fame & fortune. Ric Flair said it best himself when he said that in order to be a success in wrestling, you have to be a selfish son of a bitch. You put your career and the business ahead of everything else. That's how it always has been and that's how it always will be.

Very much agreed...especially when you see that most marriages and family relationships for wrestlers seem to fail. Not to mention health, financials, etc. I could go on but that would derive from the origial post. Again, like you quoted from Ric Flair, you need to be self-driven and focus only on yourself in this industry to make it and travel is a HUGE part of that drive (no pun intended).

It's a tough schedule to be sure, there's no question about that. However, it's not all that different from how a lot of wrestlers earned a living back when the Territory System was flourishing.

You'd have a wrestler and he might go up into Vince, Sr.'s territory and work for a few weeks, then he'd be on the road to work some dates down in Eddie Graham's Championship Wrestling from Florida. From there, it'd be up to working the Memphis & various other Tennessee territories for a month, then you'd be off to work for Pacific Northwest Wrestling up in Oregon for a week or so before heading down to Dallas to work some shows for Fritz Von Erich and on and on it went. That's how the majority of wrestlers did it back in the day to make their money. Sometimes they'd stay in a territory for an extended period of time but, more often than not, they were off down the road in search of their next paycheck.

In WWE, guys want that big money and that rush from wrestling in front of 5,000 or 10,000 fans at a house show then the hellish schedule is all part of it. There's always some sort of trade off for fame & fortune. Ric Flair said it best himself when he said that in order to be a success in wrestling, you have to be a selfish son of a bitch. You put your career and the business ahead of everything else. That's how it always has been and that's how it always will be.

One thing you will note though is that rosters were very large then... packed with enhancement talents, guys who would work for WWF regularly rather than travel around... Guys like Brooklyn Brawler, Iron Mike Sharpe, Lanny Poffo who would basically be on all those shows for the regular dough and let Vince and the office pick the stars for each venue to maximise revenue... they ran A, B and C shows on the same night sometimes and there would always be a pool of local talent to draw on who would want the opportunity in each city. The names would be obliged to wrestle and the schedules would be hectic, but WWE was paying for flights and expenses for most name talent, if you were on TV in Hogan's era you were generally travelling first class or on expenses and a large chunk of their revenue came from merch... if they weren't in the arenas they didn't make money...

In more recent years it's been harder for Vince to run that kind of system as talent is centrally contracted and has been for the most part hard split... you can't walk into Wilkes Barre and pick up a local name for the night and have it draw...it has to be the top guys on TV each week and even then crowds are often papered...

The travel now is paid for on the whole by the wrestlers, much like their required insurances now... the schedule in some ways is fairer in that there are fixed days on and off for shows in the main... but it means endless airport lounges... its the downside of guaranteed money... you have to show up, pay for it and get home yourself...unless you are in the inner circle.

I've heard the arguement of wrestlers being on the road for too much time during the year, and how hard it must be for them.

Now, I can understand that arguement, but how many hours do you think these guys actually work while they are on the road? If they do three house shows plus a live show (if you say each show takes two hours), then they take an 8 hour day to plan live matches etc, then that suggests they work for 16 hours a week. To make their hours upto the average 40 hour working week, they would have to include travel time (which they already get compensated for).

Once someone reaches the level where they are on regular WWE TV, they are already earning over $100,000 per year(and that is the salary for a referee, not a wrestler, their salary is at least $350,000 per year)

If you think that your average office worker works 260 days a year, for considerably less than $350,000 per year, do you still think a wrestler is under paid for the number of days they spend on the road? Cause I don't

I think it's very hard to maintain to go to the gym, to eat and sleep well if you have to fly to another city almost every day. Sleeping in hotels and in planes, and with that of course the preparing for the matches and the show itself seems like a very hectic life.

I've heard the arguement of wrestlers being on the road for too much time during the year, and how hard it must be for them.

Now, I can understand that arguement, but how many hours do you think these guys actually work while they are on the road? If they do three house shows plus a live show (if you say each show takes two hours), then they take an 8 hour day to plan live matches etc, then that suggests they work for 16 hours a week. To make their hours upto the average 40 hour working week, they would have to include travel time (which they already get compensated for).

Once someone reaches the level where they are on regular WWE TV, they are already earning over $100,000 per year(and that is the salary for a referee, not a wrestler, their salary is at least $350,000 per year)

If you think that your average office worker works 260 days a year, for considerably less than $350,000 per year, do you still think a wrestler is under paid for the number of days they spend on the road? Cause I don't

Seriously?

You think these guys only put in a few hours every week and get paid ridiculously high because of it?

Tell you what. Why don't you take a week off of work, do something physical that pushes you to the brink of exhaustion, then drive a hundred miles or so to another city to do the same thing the next day. Keep that up for a week and you'll get an ideal of a wrestlers life... only they're doing that year round with very little downtime.

The WWE's travel schedule has literally been killer since they went national back in the 80's. At one point it would be common for guys to work over 300 times a year... in different cities every night... sometimes in multiple cities a day.

The problems with painkillers. The cocaine issues. The drug related deaths. Blame the travel schedule. Guys felt it was necessary to medicate themselves continuously to survive this schedule. Too exhausted to continue. Take some coke to wake you back up. Aches and pains getting to be too much to handle. Pop some pills to numb that pain. Take some time off to heal your body properly? Forget it. If you did that, there was always another guy waiting to take your spot and you'd be out of a job. So you keep medicating yourself to get to the next town, work the next match, get your next paycheck, and eventually the body just simply can't take anymore.

Before in the territory days, yes they still were on the road a lot, but the travel was confined greatly because of the size of the territories, and it was a lot easier to live a relatively normal home life compared to post territory workers. A lot of the time, guys could be back in their own bed every night. The exception would have been the NWA champ who was expected to be in a different territory basically every week (before Crockett began monopolizing the belt). Then again, this was a main reason why the NWA championship changed hands more frequently than the localized WWWF or AWA titles. You ever wonder why workers from the territory days have been able to live long lives compared to their younger counterparts from the expansion age? There it is.

I've always felt that the WWE would be best served from a worker safety standpoint of adopting more of a Japanese tour schedule. Book 21 days in a particular loop, then give the guys 21 days off, with the exception of live TV on Mondays and Smackdown tapings on Tuesdays (fit the rest of their shows tapings onto these cards as well). Since a lot of the guys actually live (or at least used to) in Florida, have the tapings during the time off be somewhat localized. With two separate brands, you could even run the RAW loop while the Smackdown loop is off so you consistently have shows running, without killing the guys bodies while you do it. With roster sizes the way they are, guys don't even need to work the full 21 days of their loop. You can sub a few out here and there each week to keep the matchups more fresh.

The benefit would be healthier and more rested workers. Less need for guys to need pills and other drugs to get them from town to town.

I'd never expect them to do it though.

Seriously?

You think these guys only put in a few hours every week and get paid ridiculously high because of it?

Tell you what. Why don't you take a week off of work, do something physical that pushes you to the brink of exhaustion, then drive a hundred miles or so to another city to do the same thing the next day. Keep that up for a week and you'll get an ideal of a wrestlers life... only they're doing that year round with very little downtime.

The WWE's travel schedule has literally been killer since they went national back in the 80's. At one point it would be common for guys to work over 300 times a year... in different cities every night... sometimes in multiple cities a day.

The problems with painkillers. The cocaine issues. The drug related deaths. Blame the travel schedule. Guys felt it was necessary to medicate themselves continuously to survive this schedule. Too exhausted to continue. Take some coke to wake you back up. Aches and pains getting to be too much to handle. Pop some pills to numb that pain. Take some time off to heal your body properly? Forget it. If you did that, there was always another guy waiting to take your spot and you'd be out of a job. So you keep medicating yourself to get to the next town, work the next match, get your next paycheck, and eventually the body just simply can't take anymore.

Before in the territory days, yes they still were on the road a lot, but the travel was confined greatly because of the size of the territories, and it was a lot easier to live a relatively normal home life compared to post territory workers. A lot of the time, guys could be back in their own bed every night. The exception would have been the NWA champ who was expected to be in a different territory basically every week (before Crockett began monopolizing the belt). Then again, this was a main reason why the NWA championship changed hands more frequently than the localized WWWF or AWA titles. You ever wonder why workers from the territory days have been able to live long lives compared to their younger counterparts from the expansion age? There it is.

I've always felt that the WWE would be best served from a worker safety standpoint of adopting more of a Japanese tour schedule. Book 21 days in a particular loop, then give the guys 21 days off, with the exception of live TV on Mondays and Smackdown tapings on Tuesdays (fit the rest of their shows tapings onto these cards as well). Since a lot of the guys actually live (or at least used to) in Florida, have the tapings during the time off be somewhat localized. With two separate brands, you could even run the RAW loop while the Smackdown loop is off so you consistently have shows running, without killing the guys bodies while you do it. With roster sizes the way they are, guys don't even need to work the full 21 days of their loop. You can sub a few out here and there each week to keep the matchups more fresh.

The benefit would be healthier and more rested workers. Less need for guys to need pills and other drugs to get them from town to town.

I'd never expect them to do it though.

I didn't say they only work a few hours a week. I said they perform for a few hours a week. I also said that travel takes up a lot of their time, and means them staying away from home a lot. But there a lots of people, in lots of different jobs that have to travel lots, stay away from home regularly and don't get paid anywhere near as well as your average WWE wrestler

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back