WWE: The New York Sub-Regional

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
If you don't feel comfortable looking too far ahead in the WWE Regional section, come in here to breakdown this sub bracket.

The First Three Rounds Take Place In: New York, NY
4. Mick Foley
61. Ted DiBiase Jr.

29. Rikidozan
36. Chris Sabin

13. "Ravishing" Rick Rude
52. The Warlord

20. Bruiser Brody
45. Wahoo McDaniel

5. "The Legend Killer" Randy Orton
60. Riki Choshu

28. "The Gold Standard" Shelton Benjamin
37. Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake

12. The Ultimate Warrior
53. "The Taskmaster" Kevin Sullivan

21. Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka
44. Nigel McGuinness

Round 2 Matches:
Long Island, NY

4. Mick Foley
29. Rikidozan

13. Rick Rude
20. Bruiser Brody

5. Randy Orton
37. Brutus Beefcake

12. The Ultimate Warrior
21. Jimmy Snuka

Round 3.
Long Island, NY

4. Mick Foley
13. Rick Rude

5. Randy Orton
12. Ultimate Warrior

Throwing this into the New York Crowd has made this a different game for Mic Foley. Sure he is heavily outmatched, but this is New York. They cheer for Mic Foley like he is God. Ultimate Warrior will be smarked the fucked out if he tried to miss with Mic here. In fact, if it looked like Mic was going down, the home crowd will pick him up. Tables have turned. Orton will look to shut them up though, like he has done to Mic supporters time and time again.

Yeah Foley just got a bump here. Warrior has never done well in front of rowdy crowds, I mean just look at some of his public speaking events, and New York is the ultimate smark city. Orton and Foley was a classic at Backlash. You put them on Foley's home turf in Foley's prime, and the Legend Killer is killed dead. I don't know who Foley is going to have to go though, but unless it's a big surpise, no one is going to stand in his way here.

I agree with the Foley/New York topic. Foley, at his prime, in New York, as a face could easily upset just about anyone. This is Foley territory. I don't think he'll have too much of a problem making finals, unless he bumps into another big name with a fan base. That remains to be seen though.

I'd turn my attention to the underside of the bracket, where many interesting matchups could occur. This could be a big step for Orton, likely meeting Ultimate Warrior and other big legends. While the Warrior isn't a big favorite on the IWC boards, some people will mark out for him. On the flip side, Orton has just come off a huge year, and is heading into another one. Many people could view this as a big boost for Orton, as it is fresh on everyone's mind. I don't think this excuses throwing votes Orton's way, but I do expect him to push a few rounds into this tournament.

Overall, I think this bracket could produce some great matchups, where each vote is really essential.

This is all going to come down between Foley and Orton. Orton has proved he can excel in hardcore matches even beating Foley in 2004. If it's a wrestling match I'll favor Orton. The right kind of gimmick match could favor Foley but even with the crowd behind him I think Orton will come out victorious.

This is interesting; Mick Foley is definitely getting a boost in this environment. However, someone like Orton or Warrior could still beat him possibly, Orton in particular. I'd like to see who else is going to be in this bracket before I predict a winner.

The Ultimate Warrior's best chance at moving on, is against Foley, but he won't get that far. Orton is the Legend Killer for a reason, and Warrior won't stand much of a chance. Orton has never seen someone quite as crazy as him in the ring, and if he gets to shaking the ropes and running full speed, he could cause an upset. He should make it through easily until that point though.

I won't beat a dead horse. We all know the bump Foley gets by wrestling in his hometown. That doesn't change his talent, or give him any extra momentum against guys like Orton or Warrior. When he loses, it'll be sad, but it'll be expected. He could at least win his first match, unless he gets a bad draw. If he wins, he may do something special in the gimmick matches, but I don't see how he gets there yet.

Orton won't have any problems getting to the match up with Warrior, and will live up to his name then. The RKO can put out just about anyone, and his in-ring smarts will work to his advantage. On the grandest stage, in the biggest company, this is Orton's to win. I don't know who he'll end up facing to win the bracket, because I don't see Foley making it quite that far. He's overly capable of winning any gimmick match that gets thrown at him, so there's a chance he could knock off one of the upper seeds if things fall his way.

Warrior isn't going to fair well in the New York. Most on these boards dislike him, therefore he won't make it through. This should come down to Foley and Orton. I understand home field advantage and that Foley has it huge here, but Orton also thrives when the crowd is completely against him. Besides, I don't care where the match is, Randy Orton will not lose a normal one on one match to an overweight, out of shape, sloppy wrestler such as Mick Foley.

Mick Foley in his Prime, in New York City... he has this one without a doubt. The eventual match with Orton will be interesting, but the basis of the arguement for Foley to win is that Orton only just managed to beat him in 2004, four years after he had officially retired.

Randy Orton will not lose a normal one on one match to an overweight, out of shape, sloppy wrestler such as Mick Foley.

Too much emphasis is put on Foley in Gimmick Matches, sure he excelled in them... but he was not a bad wrestler by any means.

This all depends on how Mania goes. If Orton beats Triple H for the belt, and Orton Mania is running wild on the boards, I can see him taking this by a long shot.

Foley has the NY home crowd advantage, what I think would be interesting if Shocky drew out of a hat which four of Foley's personalties would fight in the match (mankind, Dude Love, Cactus Jack or Mick Foley) as that in turn would have a baring on the outcome.

Warrior I can't see going anywhere, he has no love on these boards, whether that is warranted or not is a different matter.

I still think it is WAY too early to tell in this bracket. Foley, while being huge in NYC, can't necessarily be seen as a lock to win the bracket. Orton very well could take him out, and he definitely has the credentials to back it up. Warrior poses no threat, here. I'll be surprised if he makes it past the second round. If he does, Orton should handily dispose of him. But like the other brackets, the spots that still have yet to be revealed could prove to be the demise of some. This, however, is not going to be as significant as it will be in the ECW bracket...as the extreme rules really evens the playing field significantly. Nonetheless, if there's a guy that pops into the bracket that's sound technically and/or has a good record in the Garden, it might be a bracket buster.

As a side note, this isn't in New York City. It's in Long Island, at Nassau Coll. Bug difference from MSG.

But anyway, Warrior vs Orton will be the definitive 5 vs 12 match up outside of Vader vs Andre. And it'll be a pick'em situation. But if anyone can derail the Legend Killer, it's the sentimental choice in Warrior.

Ultimate Warrior doesn't lose in standard matches ever. Orton's legend killer aesthetic has been overturned before, and it could be again here, but I doubt it. Even though everything is seemingly on Warrior's side, everybody thinks he is an ********, and Orton being on the hottest form of his career will more than help him here.

Orton and Foley will meet up in the first gimmick match, a generic gimmick match, in Round 4 assuming they both go through. The gimmick match environment will work in Foley's favour massively, and any doubts about his progression will probably be allayed.

That being said, I think the outcome here is far from obvious, but am still going to say Foley makes it to round 5.

This is 2009. That match happened five years ago. Orton has since accomplished everything that Foley has. He's been World Champion, he's beaten the best.. Orton has come a long, long way since then.

I don't think he has come far enough to beat someone like Foley when he was in his prime and in his Home Town. Say for example Orton had come far enough to beat Foley, I think the hometown advantage will win out here... IC Posted above that this is in Long Island, this is literally Mick Foley's back yard. The only thing that may count against Mick is the misconceived notion that he has next to no actual wrestling ability and the only thing he can do is take insane bumps.

Foley against Rude could be something very interesting to see. The two are about as polar opposite as you can getbut I could see there being some freaks chemistry here. As far as wrestling goes, Rude is better and I could see him winning here. Should he win though? Not sure. Foley's resume is much better, but it's still going to be good. In New York, I think FOley has to take it, but this would be a great thing to see.

It pains me to say this, but Orton is still my favorite here. I don't know if Foley will make it to the match with Rude, and Warrior doesn't seem to get any love around here.

My dream match-up would be a Rude v. Warrior rematch in a steel cage, but Warrior may not get to Orton, let alone actually beat him. It's looking like Rude v. Orton in the final, and in any gimmick, outside of an old school steel cage, the match is Orton's for the taking.

He earned the name "The Legend Killer", and he'll definitely have his opportunity to keep it with the way this bracket is shaping up.

This is one case on where I don't give a shit who is the hometown favorite. Mick Foley hasn't always won in his home, and he even lost at WrestleMania XX, in New York, when he was making an eagerly anticipated return.

Rick Rude is a major underdog in my eyes. He was one of the only men to make the Ultimate Warrior look truly weak. This was during the time when Warrior was "unstoppable", mind you.

Randy Orton is indeed the "Legend Killer", but that title is honestly overrated. The only legend's Orton's "killed" are those that're past their prime. And when the stakes are as high as they can be, Orton normally fails. He failed to defeat Hogan, even when Hogan had a bad hip. And he failed to defeat the Undertaker at Mania, even with his Father's help.

In my opinion though, the Ultimate Warrior (while sucks, badly) in his "prime" was still very untouchable. He kicked out of the Leg Drop from Hulk Hogan, on the grandest stage of them all. Someone mentioned Warrior being bad under pressure. How the fuck does it get any more pressure filled than against Hogan, at WrestleMania?! Where Warrior shined!

Warrior should honestly take this, in my opinion. He had incredible endurance, and the ability similar to Hogan and the Undertaker, to be on the verge of defeat, only to find his way to the ring ropes and suddenly come back to being just as healthy and full of life as if he just began the match.

Orton can't do that, Rude can't do that, and I'm sure as fuck Foley can't do that. Warrior should win.. but won't, because people don't like him since they found out he's a loon. Real life FTL.

Anywhere else, I would say Rick Rude for the win but in NYC, Foley takes the cake. he'd just batter about everyone with barb wire. Ultimate Warrior wont win because he just can't wrestle and in NYC, no one is going to like him. Orton may be great by todays standards but he isn';t going anywhere fast with huis old rival Foley at home.

Anywhere else, I would say Rick Rude for the win but in NYC, Foley takes the cake. he'd just batter about everyone with barb wire. Ultimate Warrior wont win because he just can't wrestle and in NYC, no one is going to like him. Orton may be great by todays standards but he isn';t going anywhere fast with huis old rival Foley at home.

If Foley busts out any amount of barbwire, he's DQ'd. I can see him winning a match or two in this bracket, but I don't think he'll get past Rick Rude.

I do agree that if barbwire were legal, he'd be a shoe-in to win over any of these guys, but not in a straight wrestling match. This is all Orton's for the taking.

If this was in the ECW region where anything goes, Foley would definately get my vote. But sadly, he doesn't. As Will pointed out, Foley isn't the greatest at winning in his hometown, and the WWE match rules certainly work against him here.

Rick Rude is probably the weak link in this because I just don't think he can possibly win against the other 3 guys. The Ultimate Warrior has a very good chance here, and I hear he is very underrated and from some of the matches that I've seen, I agree with his fans. Warrior against Foley would be interesting, and I think that match could go either way.

But my favourite has to be Randy Orton here. He's a "legend killer". He is just now entering his prime and he has been listed as the next big thing, right next to John Cena. He definately deserves his #5 ranking. Orton's match with Foley at Backlash 2004 was amazing, and Orton won that in extreme rules, so why can't he beat Foley in a singles match? He is still young, athletic and strong. I think Orton will win this region but only just, mainly because he is heavily being focused on in the WWE right now.

Bruiser Brody falls under the same category as Inoki or Muta for me. I haven't seen much, but I've heard tons. If I've heard right, than he could get past Rick Rude, and definitely Mick Foley. Considering he won't have nearly enough of the fan vote, he may not get out of the blocks. I'd like to see him win a few matches though.

I'm sticking with Orton here, until I see someone that can match everything he does in the ring. You can discredit the nickname "The Legend Killer" all you want, but it's a reputation, and he'll walk over all the legends listed so far. the RKO is a devastating move, and will take any of these guys out of their boots.

Well as the bracket isn't complete, nothing is assured. But from what I see, I think Orton has to be the early favorite. Foley may have an advantage depending on match type but I think with Orton currently showing how great he truly is and will continue to be, he has the advantage. He is actually one of my favorites to win the entire tournament based on how red hot he is right not, I see him getting alot of support.

But of course, we have to see how the bracket fills out as we may never see Orton vs Foley.

Bruiser Brody was one of the best hardcore wrestlers out there but this ain't ECW. I think Rude has a chance to make it to the finals with Randy Orton. He has beaten Warrior so that shouldn't be a problem depending on the kind of match. Rude/Orton would be a great match and I don't know yet who I would vote for if that happens.

I am definitely in agreement with kamikaze that being in this region is to Brody's disadvantage. If this were ECW and the bracket was still the same, I could see Brody rolling over everyone, even Mick Foley. But, alas, this is a WWE sub-region. I think the final match in this sub-region will be Rick Rude vs. Randy Orton. Mick Foley has the home town advantage, but he has never fared well against well-toned, arrogant heels (in fact, I'll have to look for a match where he has actually beaten one). If it comes to Rude vs. Orton, I'll be pulling for Rude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back