WWE Tag Team Title Match?

KnowMyRole-ShutYourMouth

Occasional Pre-Show
I don't think it's any coincidence on RAW Truth/Kingston defeated the Champs, Primo & Epico; then, Truth/Kingston went on to lose to Ziggler/Swagger the following night on Smackdown. I think the WWE is setting up a multi-team Tag Team Title match, with these 3 teams specifically; perhaps, a fourth.

Now the question is, do you see the Tag Titles making it to the undercard of WM28? I think we'll get those three teams in a match, and I could even see the WWE throwing the ladder match stipulation in as a way to make up for not going in the MITB direction and giving these guys/tag division a chance to shine much like the Triangle Ladder Match @ WM2000 (yup, there's been that many).

I guess there's still time left to build up the tag team champions. But this is how I see it, if the reasoning for no divas match is because they don't want to take up time for matches their audience is actually looking forward to, then there's no reason for a tag match. Primo and Epico aren't over, so it's likely no one will give two shits if they're on the card or not. Like I said, if they're built up properly, then I have no problem with it. Unless of course, Kingston and Truth take the titles off of them before Wrestlemania and defend them against Dolph Ziggler and Jack Swagger in a normal match up. That sounds a hell of alot better than having a random ass ladder match between the three teams, when one of the teams do not even matter – the current Tag Champions.

Nice avatar by the way...

Ever since Air Boom had to disband, I have had my doubts that a Tag Team Championship match at Wrestlemania would even be worth it. Epico and Primo are hardly a team the fans are getting behind. Who would they even face? The random pairing of Kofi and Truth? Ziggler and Swagger? Hunico and that other guy who both suck? Or THE USOS? I cringe at the thought of Hunico's team or the Usos even stepping one foot into a Wrestlemania ring. Without Air Boom the tag team division cannot provide anything worthy of putting on a Wrestlemania card, unfortunately.

They could always do a tag team match as a dark match. Kofi and Truth VS Epico and Primo, perhaps. It's something that could get the live crowd ready and excited for the real show, and it wouldn't take up time on the main card from matches that the fans actually do want to see. They could throw in Ziggler and Swagger I suppose and make it a triangle match like the threadstarter suggested, but Ziggler and Swagger are both likely to be in the MITB ladder match. Why put them in a tag team match too? I just don't see the point in having a tag team title match at all this year due to the fact that too much damage has been done to the division. If Air Boom were still together then things would be completely different. A strong title defense for them could have been a cool moment.

Whatever they plan on doing with the Tag Team Titles, they've got five weeks to do it.

Primo and Epico aren't over and they're only relevant because Rosa Mendez is extremely sexy.

I like H.A.M.'s idea to have either a triple threat match for the tag titles or have Kofi and Truth take the belts of Primo and Epico and defend them against Swagger and Ziggler. I personally like the latter idea better.

Nice avatar by the way...

Thank you good sir. Clearly based on post count, I had it first. Fortunately for you, I've read some of your material and you consistently bring quality perspective to the table. Basically what I'm saying is you can continue using said avatar. But enough of me eating your ass...

I guess there's still time left to build up the tag team champions. But this is how I see it, if the reasoning for no divas match is because they don't want to take up time for matches their audience is actually looking forward to, then there's no reason for a tag match. Primo and Epico aren't over, so it's likely no one will give two shits if they're on the card or not. Like I said, if they're built up properly, then I have no problem with it. Unless of course, Kingston and Truth take the titles off of them before Wrestlemania and defend them against Dolph Ziggler and Jack Swagger in a normal match up. That sounds a hell of alot better than having a random ass ladder match between the three teams, when one of the teams do not even matter – the current Tag Champions.

Ok, perhaps the ladder match stipulation is random and unnecessary. But this is an opportunity for the WWE to use credible stars (such as Ziggler, Swagger, Truth, and Kofi) to get over the Tag Team division. Primo & Epico are one of TWO (Uso's) organic tag teams that haven't just been thrown together.

I think it's best if Primo & Epico are involved, and walk into Miami with the titles. That will help showcase THEM, and if this match leads to a future program, it can help get them over. A team like them and the tag team division in general will never get over if it is not showcased.

Primo & Epico are fantastic workers, and it'd be a bit cheap if they dropped the belts just so WWE could get the aforementioned four (Ziggler/Swagger/Truth/Kofi) on the card. Having both those teams challenging Primo & Epico is not only a much more believable progression, but it also puts those 2 (and Rosa) over as a legitimate threat as a cohesive unit.

With no Money In the Bank match its hard to find a place for Ziggler, Swagger, Kofi, and R-Truth. The only answer is to attempt to beef up the tag team division. Maybe keep these teams together long term and I can't see a 3 way tag match. They will probably scrap up a 4th team. I think the only logical way the tag belts get onto this card is for Ziggler and Swagger to take the belts off them followed by a #1 contenders match of some sort won by R-Truth and Kofi. Setting up Ziggler/Swagger vs Kofi/Truth early in Mania.

I really would like to see the usos in a match for the tag titles whether it involves 2 other things. I think the usos and the colons are in need of a match at mania in order to rebuild the tag division. Theyre the only legit tag teams and it would really help bump the division

I think it's best if Primo & Epico are involved, and walk into Miami with the titles. That will help showcase THEM, and if this match leads to a future program, it can help get them over. A team like them and the tag team division in general will never get over if it is not showcased.

Primo & Epico are fantastic workers, and it'd be a bit cheap if they dropped the belts just so WWE could get the aforementioned four (Ziggler/Swagger/Truth/Kofi) on the card. Having both those teams challenging Primo & Epico is not only a much more believable progression, but it also puts those 2 (and Rosa) over as a legitimate threat as a cohesive unit.

Hmm...I feel stupid for not thinking about this.

Primo and Epico may not be over, but a win against top superstars like Truth and Ziggler, the US Champion, and an upper mid card superstar like Kofi Kingston will make people pay attention and make them actually look like a legitimate tag team.

You mentioned the famous ladder match at WM2000, but what these 3 teams lack is the history that the Hardys, Dudleys and Edge and Christian had. That match was not the start of a feud, those teams had been showcasing their ability for the best part of a year hitherto that match. Sure, something on that scale might be interesting, but will never be an instant classic.

Moreover, what Ziggler, Swagger, Truth and Kofi have in common is that they don't need to be in the tag division. They just aren't tag team wrestlers. You can exempt Kofi from that, but then again Air Boom was just a random pairing of mid-carders that luckily worked.

Ziggler is going to go on to main event level one day, and I hope Kofi will do too. Swagger, unfortunately, is destined for mid-card hell, and Truth should stick to being solo, as his gimmick doesn't match Kofi's at all.

The rejuvenation of the tag division needs to be started from the bottom up. They missed a trick by splitting up Gabriel and Slater; they had good chemistry and with a bit of work could have been something spectacular.

the tag division sucks, is non-existent. I can only see them throwing the tag belts on Truth and Kingston so they get a gig at Mania. This way they may team Swagger and Ziggler up for a tag match, throwaway match but there is ZERO CHANCE Primo and Epico get a Mania guernsey over some of the other guys. Hell Kingston only got a start last year at last minute when they benched Koslow in the 8 man tag mess.

If they were all built-up enough, the WWE's four only legit tag teams could have an AMAZING tag team ladder match. The Colons defending against The Usos, Hawkins and Reks, and Barreta and Kidd. I would love to see that.
Yes, it doesn't have drawing power, but the match itself could get the crowd pumped.

Hmm...I feel stupid for not thinking about this.

Primo and Epico may not be over, but a win against top superstars like Truth and Ziggler, the US Champion, and an upper mid card superstar like Kofi Kingston will make people pay attention and make them actually look like a legitimate tag team.

Don't feel stupid. The last 5 or so years the WWE has conditioned its audience to believe that a championship is not a draw, but the superstars in the match are said "draw." That "idea" makes it extremely difficult to get over new stars. I mean, the only worthwhile tag team feuds over the last several years have featured 2 stars coming together to form super teams.

You mentioned the famous ladder match at WM2000, but what these 3 teams lack is the history that the Hardys, Dudleys and Edge and Christian had. That match was not the start of a feud, those teams had been showcasing their ability for the best part of a year hitherto that match. Sure, something on that scale might be interesting, but will never be an instant classic.

What in the fuck are you talking about? Sure, the Hardyz/E&C had SOME history but that was based off a garbage "Brood/Terri Runnells" storyline. The fact is the majority of the audience did not believe in those 6 men as performers until the Triangle Ladder Match gamble.

A year later, at WM17, those guys were made. I don't even know if Edge & Christian won another Tag Team Championship after TLC2. Didn't Edge go on to win KOTR and the WWE not only split E&C, but gambled on a Hardy Boy split? Sure, the Hardyz split failed, but the WWE damn well tried because those 3 teams were mega over.

Moreover, what Ziggler, Swagger, Truth and Kofi have in common is that they don't need to be in the tag division. They just aren't tag team wrestlers. You can exempt Kofi from that, but then again Air Boom was just a random pairing of mid-carders that luckily worked.

Ziggler is going to go on to main event level one day, and I hope Kofi will do too. Swagger, unfortunately, is destined for mid-card hell, and Truth should stick to being solo, as his gimmick doesn't match Kofi's at all.

Yeah, R-Truth & Kofi don't "need" to be in the tag team division but where else do they fit at this point? There are very few spots on the card, and I don't understand the negative connotation around being apart of a tag team.

If they were all built-up enough, the WWE's four only legit tag teams could have an AMAZING tag team ladder match. The Colons defending against The Usos, Hawkins and Reks, and Barreta and Kidd. I would love to see that.
Yes, it doesn't have drawing power, but the match itself could get the crowd pumped.

Exactly my point. The wrestlers do not have to draw the audience into the match (that's incorrect in a different context). But no one is buying this PPV based on the Tag Titles. Force feeding does not make stars. Let the concept of the Tag belts being up for grabs and the Ladder Match stipulation help put these talents over. That's exactly what happened at WM2000. THIS is a bonus for the card. The undercard simply does not matter. People will watch for the main events.

The rejuvenation of the tag division needs to be started from the bottom up. They missed a trick by splitting up Gabriel and Slater; they had good chemistry and with a bit of work could have been something spectacular.

What? You act like Gabriel/Slater were over. They most certainly were not. You can't lift a division from the bottom to the top with bottom feeders. Ziggler, Swagger, Kofi, and Truth are not penciled in for a damn thing at Wrestlemania. A Tag Team Championship Match makes a ton of sense.

I'll rest my case on the Triple Threat WWE Tag Team Title match that took place tonight on RAW. It's transparently clear that the WWE has plans for at least these 6 (and maybe Kane) to feature the Tag Championship @ WM.

Okay.

What in the fuck are you talking about? Sure, the Hardyz/E&C had SOME history but that was based off a garbage "Brood/Terri Runnells" storyline. The fact is the majority of the audience did not believe in those 6 men as performers until the Triangle Ladder Match gamble.

That audience must not have seen the Tag Team Tables match at Royal Rumble 2000, nor any Raw, Smackdown, or other PPV for months prior to WM2000. These 3 teams were over as hell and had plenty of exposure. I simply don't get how you can think otherwise.

A year later, at WM17, those guys were made. I don't even know if Edge & Christian won another Tag Team Championship after TLC2. Didn't Edge go on to win KOTR and the WWE not only split E&C, but gambled on a Hardy Boy split? Sure, the Hardyz split failed, but the WWE damn well tried because those 3 teams were mega over.

All 3 teams were broken up c.2001/2002, but that had more to do with the aftermath of the Invasion storyline and the Brand Extension.

Yeah, R-Truth & Kofi don't "need" to be in the tag team division but where else do they fit at this point? There are very few spots on the card, and I don't understand the negative connotation around being apart of a tag team.

It's poor booking. Especially when the duo have next to nothing in common.

What? You act like Gabriel/Slater were over. They most certainly were not. You can't lift a division from the bottom to the top with bottom feeders.

You're right, they weren't. You've got to remember that Edge and Christian and the Hardys were bottom feeders and jobbers once upon a time too. I think Gabriel and Slater have the potential to make a good team, like I said, with work; their athletic styles gel well.

Ziggler, Swagger, Kofi, and Truth are not penciled in for a damn thing at Wrestlemania. A Tag Team Championship Match makes a ton of sense.

There are rumours of a Money in the Bank match, and of a Team Smackdown vs. Team Raw match. Swagger is the U.S. Champion and should be defending his title.

I'll rest my case on the Triple Threat WWE Tag Team Title match that took place tonight on RAW. It's transparently clear that the WWE has plans for at least these 6 (and maybe Kane) to feature the Tag Championship @ WM.

Why Kane? He has no partner, and teaming him up with someone would dilute his 'embrace the hate' gimmick somewhat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back