WWE signs The Boogeyman to a Legends Contract

BringThePain834

Getting Noticed By Management
boogeyman_article.jpg

As he revealed on Friday via Twitter, The Boogeyman, one of the scariest Superstars to ever set foot in a WWE ring, has signed a WWE Legends contract.

Both through his powerful arsenal and his macabre tactics that included an abnormal affinity for worms, The Boogeyman made quite an impact during his WWE tenure. The creepy competitor terrified opponents in WWE and ECW, which included a heated rivalry with WWE Hall of Famer Booker T that led to a victorious effort for the nightmare-fueled Superstar at WrestleMania 22.

Please join WWE in congratulating The Boogeyman.

Interesting how WWE mentions this signing instead of the more major signings of Graham and Tatanka. But yes, an unpopular opinion, I liked The Boogeyman. Like WWE mentioned, he had that awesome feud with Booker. Also fun feuds with JBL and Miz, which the JBL feud produced my favorite Boogeyman moment. When he bit that thing off Jillian's face.

I wouldn't mind seeing a sporadic appearance from him every now and again, and it's also not too much of a surprise that they signed him since he's been doing a lot of Network related stuff.

This is REALLY stretching the term "legend" in my eyes. The Boogeyman was a glorified jobber who was given a few big wins early in his career (and cost me money at the 2006 Royal Rumble, when they had him SQUASH JBL for no reason whatsoever). I'll admit it was fairly interesting to see him square off with Bray Wyatt at this year's Royal Rumble...for a couple of seconds, and then he was gone.

Knowing WWE, the Boogeyman is going to make the Hall of Fame before Owen Hart does.

I love the boogeyman. I know he was pretty limited in the ring but I thought he was really fun and entertaining. I love his match with Booker at Wrestlemania 22. I don't think he's hall of fame worthy but I would love to see him turn up on occasion.

Knowing WWE, the Boogeyman is going to make the Hall of Fame before Owen Hart does.

Yes probably because he's still alive and didn't die in a WWE ring like Owen Hart did. So he doesn't have a widow who wants nothing to do with the WWE. I have no doubt that Owen Hart would already be in the HOF if it wasn't for his wife. That makes a world of difference.

On topic, not surprised to see him come back. I always thought the "eating worms" gimmick was just a bit over the top, not to mention friggin gross. Don't expect to see much of him really and a lot of the younger fans in the crowd probably won't even remember who he is.

Boogeyman's thing actually made me sick, I used to leave the room when he was around.

I feel like they should make Alumni contracts to differentiate people like the Boogeyman from actual legends.

I am a fan of Boogeyman's, but in no way is he a legend. He had a goofy, but fairly entertaining gimmick that had a very short shelf life. Is Santino next?

This is REALLY stretching the term "legend" in my eyes. The Boogeyman was a glorified jobber who was given a few big wins early in his career (and cost me money at the 2006 Royal Rumble, when they had him SQUASH JBL for no reason whatsoever). I'll admit it was fairly interesting to see him square off with Bray Wyatt at this year's Royal Rumble...for a couple of seconds, and then he was gone.

I agree with this, it's stretching it way to far what is a legend. What is actually a legend?

Top 30? Top 40? Top 50? Boogeyman is maybe on a Top 500 list..

Legends and GOAT is so overused these days, it's getting ridiculous.

Yes probably because he's still alive and didn't die in a WWE ring like Owen Hart did. So he doesn't have a widow who wants nothing to do with the WWE. I have no doubt that Owen Hart would already be in the HOF if it wasn't for his wife. That makes a world of difference.

Yes exactly, that's the problem. Owen Hart is the major concern why WWE hasn't inducted him into the Hall of Fame. So we should respect her verdict and stop bantering about it.

Cheers!!

Legend's Contract? They should really re-name that. It doesn't sit right with me at all for some reason. Just feels weird...

Anyway, any chance he joins Taker? Maybe WWE began freaking out after the Rollins injury and were like, "Shit Boogey, you up for main eventing SS?" Although it may sound funny, I'm not entirely sure I'm joking... As for his appearances, I won't mind them. I thought Boogeyman was a pretty solid hand and he was always good in generating some sort of reaction. His signing should make for some fun future moments.

I liked him but not that much but still he had a limited move-set and limited skill too....
In one word; he is too limited to be legend?
just an opinion... not sure i am right or wrong!

I think WWE mention this more than Tatanka and Billy Graham because WWE fans of today (aged 10 to 20) that would most likely buy a WWE merchandise would remember Marty Wright - the BoogeyMan.

If a 10 year old John Cena Fan was asked if he or she remembers Tatanka - they would wonder who the hell you are on about- let alone Billy Graham.

The timing of it makes you wonder doesn't it ? Signing The Boogeyman a few weeks before Survivor Series. I think he'll probably be used in the Wyatt Family vs Taker's team Survivor Series match. He certainly brings in the creep factor to battle the Wyatt monsters. Though if I was in charge I would've at least kept it a surprise and not announce that we signed The Boogeyman.

A WWE Legends contract has nothing to do with the quality of their legacy or status as a true legend. A "WWE Legends contract" means "retired star still affiliated with the company."

A "WWE Legend" is to a retired star as "diva" is to an active female competitor, and "superstar" is to an active male competitor. It's jargon for retired guy.

The contracts are issued so that WWE can use the retired competitors likeness in future merchandise and use the retired star for fan and PR appearances.

WWE Legend contracts are not issued because WWE is recognizing the quality of work of the competitor. It's a business contract so that they can work with their former competitors under a mutually beneficial agreement.

Don't misconstrue a "WWE Legends" contract with the title legend that is reserved for say a Sammartino, a Backlund, or a Michaels. It's just a deal so Marty Wright shows up in makeup with a mouth full or worms to gross out some kids and sell come crappy merch for a profit.

And that's who Boogeyman was for, the kids. He debuted on the wrong side of age 40 and before WWE officially moved to PG, but that's who he was for, the kids.

I'd say that the WWE Hall of Fame is the true recognition of a legend, but Drew Carey says hey. Legends aren't decided by WWE, they're decided by us, the fans. WWE does however decide who is under their legends contracts.

What is actually a legend?

For one thing, I've always seen a legend as someone who entertained us for a long time as a member of the company. Boogeyman certainly doesn't fit that, having been with WWE from 2005-2009.

Even at that, was the guy really around 4 years? I can't believe it; maybe there was time in between '05 & '09 that he wasn't active? It just doesn't seem he was with WWE that long......but at any rate, 4 years isn't nearly enough to be considered a legend, imo.

Also, you would think a performer would qualify as a legend because of championships he won with the company. I can't recall any won by Boogeyman, although I don't remember Koko B. Ware holding any titles either, at least as a single. I can't remember any accomplishments for Boogeyman except......well, blowing smoke. ;)

Marty Wright's 'legendary' status is built strictly on his gimmick. To me, nothing else was memorable about his time in WWE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back