WWE Semi-Finals: Hell in a Cell; Kurt Angle vs. Keiji Mutoh vs. The Rock

Kurt Angle vs. The Great Muta vs. The Rock

• Angle

• Muta

• Rock

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
The following match is a Semi-Final match in the WWE Region, from Madison Square Garden, in New York City.

Hell in the Cell: Thank you Wiki

wwe-hell-in-a-cell-20081014020956809-000.jpg

A Hell in a Cell match is a match seen in World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) in which the ring and ringside area is surrounded by a 20-foot-high roofed steel cage (or "cell") structure weighing over 5 tons.

The winner of the match will be the first person to score a pinfall or submission victory. Pinfalls or submissions must occur in the ring or on the top of the cell.

Kurt Angle
kurtangle.jpg

vs.

Keiji Mutoh
greatmuta1qr0.jpg

vs.

The Rock
TheRock.jpg

I don't see how anyone but Muta takes this one. Kayfabe, he's virtually impervious to pain and he's known to always do whatever it takes to win. If this were a simple match-up between Muta and either Angle or The Rock in the HIAC, I think one of them might have a chance. But, with both Angle and Rock having two opponents to worry about (each other and Muta), neither of them will be able to keep their eyes on Muta the whole time.

Simply put, a win over Muta requires your full attention and that you be at the peak of your game physically. I have no doubts about Angle's or The Rock's athleticism and physical fitness, but I do question their vigilance.

Pick: Muta

I said that RVD would be the spot monkey in an Ultimate X match, and I'll say the same here about Muta. Rock simply can't beat Angle on his own in this match, and he won't have any help from Muta. He'd be the first one eliminated from contention. While Muta may be more hardcore than Angle, he's in over his head here. Angle will use the cage better than his opponents, and will be smart enough to avoid the top of the cell, where a hard bump could end your day, even if you were meant to win. I'm predicting this ends with Angle using an Ankle Lock on Muta, while Rock lies on top of the cage, blood dripping through onto Angle's forehead.

How great of a visual is that...

Have to go with Angle here I think, but certainly not the Rock. Rock has lost to Angle in the cell before in a multiman match, so why should we expect something else here? I think I'm going to go with Angle over Muta, but I'm not sure. Both guys can crank it up to a very high intensity level when they have to and be more or less invincible. In this atmosphere though, I think I have to go with Angle, but I could be swayed.

Come on, The Rock losing in the 6 man Hell in a Cell doesn't eliminate him from contention. It's a lot easier to focus on 2 guys then it is to focus on 5. The only reason Angle won the 6 man HIAC was because Austin gave the Rock a stunner. As far as Muta goes, he's great but he has also lost to less talented guys then The Rock and Angle so he shouldn't be an overwhelming favorite by any means.

My pick to win the match is the Rock. He is beaten some of the best in the business including Kurt Angle on more then one occasion. Also the Rock has a lot of experience in triple threat matches.

Breakdown 1998- The Rock defeated Ken Shamrock and Mankind in a triple threat steel cage match.

Raw 1999- The Rock defeated Triple H and Undertaker

Survivor Series 1999- Big Show defeated the Rock and Triple H

Smackdown 2000- The Rock beat Triple H and the Big Show

Raw 2000- Triple H beat The Rock and the Big Show

Raw 2000- The Rock beat Triple H and Kurt Angle

Summerslam 2000 The Rock beat Triple H and Kurt Angle

Vengeance 2002 The Rock beat Kurt Angle and the Undertaker

Global warming 2002 The Rock beat Triple H and Brock Lesnar

That is a 7-2 overall record including 4-1 at pay per views. He is also 3-0 in triple threats involving Kurt Angle.

The Rock is also no stranger to gimmick matches. He has competed in a HIAC, steel cages, ladder matches, and the I Quit match with Foley at the Royal Rumble in 1999.

I see this being a very close match, but The Rock gets the win.

One of those fun ones where either guy has the potential to pick up a win. Multiman matches have shown that all it takes is to hit your finisher on a guy you have dominated the whole match, only for the guy that was taken out early to swoop in and steal it, citing Jericho in Championship Scramble as my source.

Muta doesn't have to be dominated to lose, he just has to walk into a Rock Bottom after nailing a Shining Wizard and boom, it's over.

Downside for Rock... Kurt beat him in HIAC before and Muta's no slouch. Rock thrives in one-on-one environments where he can control all aspects. As good as he can be in gimmick matches, I'm afraid that Kurt would take this for me.

He's resiliant enough and technical enough to resist Muta's submission reportoire, whilst having a move that can incapacitate Muta in the Angle Lock. Throw in an Olympic Slam, experience of HIAC and WWE in the big match.
Not to take away from Muta, he is a class act, and blood and violence are something he excels at scarily well, but he's against a master of picking his moments in Kurt Angle

I really like the Rock's chances. In this tournament, Muta and Angle have just fought to a gruelling draw, so will be very focussed on trying to put each other out.
Rocky just had a big match as well, but he has beaten his opponent, so he will have no grudge in this match. He'll be equally focussed on his opponents. The quickness with which he can drop a Rock Bottom, especially in a multi-man match, where you need eyes in the back of your head, means that Angle and Muta will be distracted by each other long enough for him to pounce and put either one away for the 1-2-3.

Plus I have it on very good authority that if Rock wins the WZ tourney, he's going to re-sign with the WWE. ;) So vote smart, vote the People's Champ.

This is about as good a draw as Muta can get. A regular cage match would probably hurt Muta more than it would help him, but the cell affords him access to the area outside of the ring, which is the place where Muta is stronger than any other athlete I can think of.

Hell in a Cell is just about the most violent match in the civilized wrestling world and The Great Muta is just about the most violent superstar ever to reach the highest echelons of the industry. HiaC history suggests it to be very likely that the match will spill outside the cell, and once that happens (and rest assured, Muta will make it happen by brutalizing a cameraman or similar) Kurt Angle and the Rock will find themselves stranded in another man’s world.

Angle is a credible threat, so I’ll deal with him first. Technical wrestling is utterly null and void when the rulebook is not there to help it function. Additionally, it is practically impossible to mat wrestle an opponent when there is another man in the ring. Scientific wrestling hasn’t advanced to the point where three men can go at it together, and as such the argument that Angle will “take it to the mat and dominate” does not hold any water. Anyway, assuming that Rocky gets thrown off the cell or called to Hollywood or otherwise eliminated from the match, history has proved to us multiple times that Muta could go hold for hold with Angle. Angle is a dominant armature wrestler, but as a professional technician it is unusual to see him utterly outclass an opponent. Benoit, Nagata and Nakamura have all easily gone gold for hold with him, and Muta is easy at that level as well. If this were a one on one ultimate submission match then I’d hand the edge to Angle, but in a contest specifically tailored against him and towards Muta, I’m giving the edge to Muta.

I’m not of the opinion that the Rock is on the same level as the other two, and I don’t really have too much to say on his subject. His elbow drop is better than Muta’s, and he can cut a better promo, but after that he simply isn’t on the same level, be it in terms of experience, ability, success or the majority of other scales. Rocky doesn’t win here.

So year, the gimmick favors Muta. The multi man setting favors Muta (in so far as it hurts Angle). Muta is a bigger, more successful wrestler with a more decorated career. Muta is more violent, more athletic (in case this turns into a climbing contest) has far better concentration and awareness than his two easily distracted opponents (quite a profitable skill in a triple threat match), and I haven’t even had to mention the fact that he was cause paralysis by spraying yellow mist in people’s eyes.

Voting Lou Thesz is impossible, so vote Muta instead.

I think The Rock and Kurt Angle 2 very smart wrestlers. So I could see both The Rock and Angle putting their differences aside and teaming up in order to eliminate the outsider who is Muta. They will make sure to eliminate him for the whole match by any means necessary. So they will eliminate Muta for the whole match not just part of it but all of it and then they will leave the match down to just both of them battling it out to see who is going to get the win.

So if it goes the way I said it than Angle has my vote. He has been able to defeat The Rock in a multi-man match inside the Cell before so like KB said why would this be any different? Out of both Rocky and Angle, Angle is the better wrestler and he should get the win here. Angle can do it all. You want him to do some aerial moves, then he will do it. You want him to go technical on Rock's ass then you got it. You want to see some submission well Angle can do that too. You don't want him to do aerial moves, technical wrestling, or submission moves, but you want him to go hardcore well he can do that too. My point is that Angle can do just abut everything while the Rock can't. So Angle is going to get my vote because he is the better wrestler, he is more versatile, and he has The Rock beat in almost all aspects of professional wrestling, if not all.

Vote Kurt Angle

First of all, Kurt Angle & Muta are the toughies in this matchup. The Rock has no chance in hell since one is more hardcore and the other is just better....
For Angle and Muta Imma gonna go with Angle just because I think he would lock in the Ankle Lock.

It's true that Angle has beaten Rock in a Hell in a Cell match but he pinned him after Austin gave Rock a Stunner but I'm not trying to discredit his win. However, at Vengeance 2002 Rock pinned Angle with a Rock Bottom to win his last WWE Championship even though it was a triple threat match. I believe that this match favors Muta as much as it does the other two.

In that 6-man HIAC, you had 3 separate matchups going at it most of the match. I see this somehow as a rotating one-on-one match as most triple threats generally turn out to be. I can see Rock and Angle focusing so much of their energy that Muta can slide in, do some damage, and slide back out. They may even go to the top of the cell and all hell can break loose from there. Since pinfalls can occur on top of the cell, I believe that all three will climb up top, either Rock or Angle will get thrown off, and Muta pins the other person to pick up the win.

Rock has lost to Angle in the cell before in a multiman match, so why should we expect something else here?

Oh yes, that time when Rock had Angle beat but Austin broke up the pin, gave The Rock a stunner, then got distracted by HHH whilst Angle pinned The Rock. So as I see it, how can Angle beat The Rock? He needs at least two other men to get it done. Angle can't make The Rock tap, he can't pin him off the Olympic Slam, Angle simply cannot beat The Rock.

I don't know enough about Muta but I do know The Rock has a great record in triple threat matches (pinning Angle usually).

Voting Angle here is stupid though as there is no way he can win. It is between The Rock and Muta

I was expecting a Hell in a Cell. There was a 50% chance, but I wouldn't rule out mystical powers on my part.

Who wins? Anyone. It's a triple threat Hell in a Cell. It's an absolute clusterfuck. It's a stupid match and any scenarios you come up with are inevitably mental because of the very nature of the match itself.

So yeah, I'm probably gonna abstain from voting and you're all insane for even bothering to argue. Vote for whoever you want.

I am going to take a different approach here, both Angle and Muta are very proud athletes and they've just fought a grueling one on one match with neither could win. They'd want to settle it is what I am saying.

That could work for or against them, they could take Rocky out of the picture and settle it, or more likely in my opinion they take Rocky out of the picture, kick the shit out of each other and Rock comes back in to pick up the peices.

Rock generally has Angle's number when they meet, so if they were to get Muta out of the picture Rock would win, no doubt in my mind there. Muta is impervious to pain and has that mist stuff, that being said, it's not like he's unbeatable.

My moneys on Angle putting Rock in the ankle lock, Rock refusing to tap, Muta spraying the mist in Angles face, Rock recovers to Rock Bottom both men people's elbow whichever one doesnt roll out of the ring (usually Angle) and pick up the win. Purely hypothetical of course.

Kurt Angle beat Taker, Triple H, Stone Cold, Rikishi, & the Rock in the 6 man clusterfuck HIAC match, in fact he pinned the Rock in that match, that right there shows that Angle has what it takes to win this match, as for Muta, who cares they guy should've been knocked out last round, I mean for fuck sake every match we here the same shit for him, he's a legend in Japan, and he spits mist, A.) this isn't fucking Japan, an B.) if Mist was all that big of a deal, then why the fuck didn't Tajiri make it this far, at least he was entertianing

anyway Muta sucks, Angle gets the win here

Kurt Angle beat Taker, Triple H, Stone Cold, Rikishi, & the Rock in the 6 man clusterfuck HIAC match, in fact he pinned the Rock in that match, that right there shows that Angle has what it takes to win this match, as for Muta, who cares they guy should've been knocked out last round, I mean for fuck sake every match we here the same shit for him, he's a legend in Japan, and he spits mist, A.) this isn't fucking Japan, an B.) if Mist was all that big of a deal, then why the fuck didn't Tajiri make it this far, at least he was entertianing

anyway Muta sucks, Angle gets the win here

Have you not read any of the posts I've written, or that Gelgarin has written? Muta usually finishes people off with the mist, yes, we can't deny that. But, how is that not an effective strategy?

Also, since this is kayfabe, how can Muta lose? I've already said before that one of the most significant aspects of his gimmick was that he was virtually invincible. The only way you would be able to win this argument is if you could show that Muta has never faced a challenge as great as Angle or The Rock. But, see, the thing is, he has faced similar challenges, and on multiple occasions. Come up with any objection, and I'll post a match for that objection. I'm not just going to post matches willy-nilly, though. If someone has a hesitation or a question about Muta, I will be glad to answer. But, I fail to see how I could combat a "he sucks" argument. If you think that, that's cool. But, I don't see how I can argue against your personal choice. Thus, I don't see how it can play in as a factor here.

Also, since this is kayfabe, how can Muta lose? I've already said before that one of the most significant aspects of his gimmick was that he was virtually invincible.

Muta can lose because he has lost to less talented guys then Rock and Angle before. He lost to guys like Arn Anderson and Barry Windham, who are great but not on the same level as either the Rock or Angle. If you back to Starrcade 1989 Muta lost three straight matches to Ric Flair, Sting, and Lex Luger. Those guys with the exception of Luger are more on par with Rock and Angle, but Muta lost to all three of them. Muta is far from invincible.

I'm going to agree with Sam that this match is pretty much unpredictable. You can come up with tops of scenario's like and Angle Slam followed by a Rock Bottom through, or Mist followed by an Ankle Lock, or 3 guys being thrown through the cell and Rock hitting the People's Elbow for the win, etc.

There are hundreds of ways that this match can end, and every guy has a chance. In the end, I'm going to vote for the most talented wrestler in this match who has also participated in, and won, a clusterfuck match similar to this, and that is Kurt Angle.

And between them the Rock and Kurt Angle have secured losses against names such as Gregory Helms (As the Hurricane, which makes it worse), Scotty 2 Hotty, Taz, Ken Shamrock, Jay Lethal and a number of other interesting blemishes who certainly aren’t dominant international legends. Fortunately the rule of thumb in this contest is to look at all individuals in the prime of their careers.

At no point in his career did The Rock truly look dominant. I'll confess that it’s probably down to him not being a self promoting douche backstage, but the fact of the matter is that Rocky lost matches more often than the vast majority of main eventers. Angle has a better record, but it still falls short of The Great Muta.

During his prime, when fighting as The Great Muta, Kejij Mutoh has been able to outthink and outfight almost every man he’s ever crossed paths with. He’s held the IWGP championship for longer than any other man alive and displayed a great ability to adapt to different environments and promotions. This is a gimmick match that specifically favours him, and I’m yet to hear a real argument as to why he shouldn’t advance.

Muta can lose because he has lost to less talented guys then Rock and Angle before. He lost to guys like Arn Anderson and Barry Windham, who are great but not on the same level as either the Rock or Angle. If you back to Starrcade 1989 Muta lost three straight matches to Ric Flair, Sting, and Lex Luger. Those guys with the exception of Luger are more on par with Rock and Angle, but Muta lost to all three of them. Muta is far from invincible.

When was Muta's prime? I think most would agree that it was between 1993 and 1999. So, that would throw out losses in 1989 and 1990 right there (so, goodbye losses to Arn Anderson, Ric Flair, and Lex Luger; his loss to Luger was only a DQ, by the way). Of course, you can choose to include these matches if you want, but then we'll just bring out The Rock's earlier career. I can't really say anything about Angle, as he was booked as a legitimate threat to anyone from the get-go. But, he has had some pretty embarrassing losses as well, and he doesn't even have the excuse that these were at the beginning of his career; both The Rock and Muta do have this excuse.

So, that leaves you with a loss to Barry Windham, a one-on-one match where it basically took Windham, an ox of a man, ten minutes of brutal suplexes and slams to finally put Muta away for a three-count that Muta sprung back up from as soon as it was over. Should we look at the differences between this type of match and the one Muta is in right now? Let's.

One, this is a no-disqualification match, in a cage. I can't even imagine the kind of havoc Muta would be able to wreak on his opponents in this type of match, given that so many foreign objects would be available to him and that he wouldn't even have to be cautious of using them. One might say that this limits Muta's evasion tactics, but this assumes that Muta's opponent would be able to concentrate on Muta at all times, which leads me to my second point. Two, this a triple-threat hell in a cell match, and the overwhelming outcome of such a match is that there is no strategy (that is to say, none of the two men decide to cooperate and take out their mutual threat first before going after each other). So, this essentially gives Muta a free ticket to hang around and only interfere with the fight between Angle and Rock when it's necessary to break up a pin or submission attempt.

What strategies do Angle and Rock have? Do they have experience with someone like Muta? I would say no, because there has never really been a wrestler like Muta in WWE; that is to say, a wrestler who relies much more on his smarts and psyching out his opponent than on seeing if he has the athleticism necessary to do nothing more than physically outdo his opponent.

Keep the objections a comin', please.

When was Muta's prime? I think most would agree that it was between 1993 and 1999.

If that is his prime then for the most it was all in Japan and mostly against Japanese wrestlers. Now I'm not going to pretend I know a lot about Japanese wrestling because outside of a few guys like Liger, Muta, and Inoki, I don't know that much. However, if you ask me I believe guys like The Rock, Kurt Angle, Steve Austin, The Undertaker, and Triple H are better then the guys over in Japan. When it comes to comparing these two different groups of wrestlers it's really a matter of opinion. If you truly believe that the competition over in Japan was better then it's understandable that you would want to vote for Muta. If you think the competition in the WWE is better then you're going to vote for either The Rock or Angle.

If that is his prime then for the most it was all in Japan and mostly against Japanese wrestlers. Now I'm not going to pretend I know a lot about Japanese wrestling because outside of a few guys like Liger, Muta, and Inoki, I don't know that much. However, if you ask me I believe guys like The Rock, Kurt Angle, Steve Austin, The Undertaker, and Triple H are better then the guys over in Japan. When it comes to comparing these two different groups of wrestlers it's really a matter of opinion. If you truly believe that the competition over in Japan was better then it's understandable that you would want to vote for Muta. If you think the competition in the WWE is better then you're going to vote for either The Rock or Angle.

But, during his prime, Muta/Mutoh beat quite a few American wrestlers. He had wins over Paul Orndorff, Scott Norton, Steven/William Regal, Steve Austin, Sting, and Ric Flair.

We can agree to disagree on which country has the better wrestlers overall (I would probably give that edge to America, actually, since, although I believe that there are a few more outstanding wrestlers in Japan, I think that America still has more good to excellent wrestlers than Japan), but, nonetheless, Muta/Mutoh more than beat his fair share of renowned American wrestlers.

But, during his prime, Muta/Mutoh beat quite a few American wrestlers. He had wins over Paul Orndorff, Scott Norton, Steven/William Regal, Steve Austin, Sting, and Ric Flair.

Orndorff, Norton, and Regal are not on the same level as Rock and Angle. Muta beat Austin when he was Stunning Steve Austin. I'll give you Flair and Sting, but he has also lost to both guys before.

I am by no means saying Muta can't win this match because he very well could, but I believe with all factors being taken into consideration that The Rock would win.

Since Muta is invincible, I think the other two look at each other, think "fuck it" and do rock, paper, scissors for who takes a dive.

I stick by my argument that there is no way you can predict this match. It's a clusterfuck of TNA proportions. Vote for whoever you want.

I'm just going to pop up and say that there has been one multi man hell in a cell match ever. It featured two of these guys, and one of them won. It was Kurt Angle. Now, I like Muta, I'm aware how good he is and ho much of an innovator he is, but he isn't more of a hinderance to Angle than Undertaker, Austin, HHH and Rikishi, who he also beat in that match.

The one thing that is noticibly different about Muta is his speed. None of those guys have it. His mist is useless, if he spits it at one guy, he's going to get nailed by the other. If he spits it at the Rock, he'll get Angle slammed. I'm not convinced Muta's advatages are enough, especially not in a WWE arena with two WWE favourites. I'm going Angle on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back