WWE Region, Third Round, 2/3 Falls Match: (1) Hulk Hogan vs. (9) Batista

Who wins this match?

• Hulk Hogan

• Batista

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a third round match in the WWE Region. It is a 2/3 Falls match. It will be held at the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts. Assume one week has passed since the first round matches.

800px-TD_Banknorth_Garden_rainy.JPG

2/3 Falls Match Rules: The rules are the same as a usual match but it's best two out of three falls. The match can be won by pinfall, submission, countout or disqualification.

hulk_hogan_sex_tape.jpeg

#1. Hulk Hogan

Vs.

batista-muscular.jpg

#9. Batista

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Hogan's known for winning matches. Batista's known as being the gassed up gorilla for Evolution who had moderate success in his career.

I'm not going to berate Batista like I normally would because it doesn't need to be done. Hogan's one of the winningest wrestlers in the history of the business. And if wins don't matter, he resurrected a company that was simply a territorial company trying to make a dollar and helped turn the WWE into a national powerhouse.

Hogan also has the longevity factor going here, too. He wrestled in WCW and helped that company become bigger than the WWE at one time.

Hogan is simply the bigger and better superstar than Batista and in a 2 out of 3 falls match, Hogan would win this.

Vote Hogan.

Well since the universe is gonna implode because of this match IT DOESNT REALLY MATTER who we all vote for.

Neither man is known for their stamina. Hogan is, of course, Hogan.....But Batista > Warrior, and we all know what happened with Hogan and the Ultimate Warrior. Ill wait a bit before casting my vote.

Like NorCal said, neither man is known for stamina but in my mind there's a chance Batista could pull this off. If it were 3 Stages of Hell, I genuinely would've let Batista take my vote right there and then. 2/3 falls though and I'm torn. Leaning toward Batista.

Hogan should win comfortably here. I'm a Batista fan I guess, as much as I respect his work and thought he did a great job carrying Smackdown in 2005. I don't love him, but I certainly think he is underrated by the IWC.

Equally, I could see a case being made comparing Warrior to Batista - thing is, that was a passing of the torch. A prime Hogan is nowhere near ready to pass the torch yet. I'm not doubting that Hogan was close to his kayfabe best at WM6 and he certainly had a lot more in him (as was needed when Warriors reign flunked), I just think the Hogan of WM3 is a tougher animal. Basically, Batista needs to be better than prime Warrior to be considered. Maybe he is, so I'll continue.

2/3 falls definitely favours Hogan. Plenty have conquered Batista over his tenure at the top of WWE, very few have got a fall over Hogan. Two in one night? Seems a big ask. Look at it this way - Hogan in his prime, vs every other wrestler in their prime, is STILL the #1 babyface in the world in North America. He should only be losing if the gimmick really doesn't suit, or if he is against a guy who is amongst the best in this elite field of wrestlers. Batista isn't that man, as great as he was. There is no one other than Cena that I'd even consider putting over Hogan here; Batista isn't even close to second best. HHH, Angle, Orton, Edge>>>> Batista.

Dave's not the one to stop Hogan here, but I am glad he made it this far. In a better gimmick he'd of stood a chance. This is just an equalise that means the better kayfabe wrestler should win more often - that's Hogan.

I'm not hurting in getting rid of Batista here. Hogan is a lot like Batista, but Hogan has always been much better at it than Batista has. Hogan was wrestling in the late 80s, Batista split the reactions with John Cena and got he worst of it.

Hogan does have the most trouble with guys like him. The other mega-faces > Warrior, The Rock. I don't know if Batista was ever on the level of those two guys at their height, but Batista lost to Cena a lot. I'm just inferring that Hogan would win this because in these matches it was usually the top of two faces who went over. Rock and Cena last year. Warrior and Hogan (at the time Warrior was rivalling Hogan for reaction and needed to go over). Bret and Michaels at WM 12.

I just think this is still a case of Hogan being Hogan until he comes up against someone close. Batista is not close enough to beat Hogan in this match. Heel or face here, Hogan would take this match for the majority of his career. Had they met when Hogan was still around in the early-mid 00s, Batista probably would've won, but any other time. Not enough of a loophole to cause upset for big Dave.

This has Hogan written all over it. Batista dominates the first fall. Hogan backdoors his way into winning the second fall, something like a DQ, countout or roll up. Then, when all hope is lost in the third fall, Hogan hulks up and shortly thereafter drops the leg and gets the pinfall to win it.

Definitely not going to see a lot of flippy flops & suicide dives in this one. In this one, I don't really care who wins as I've never been all that interested in either guy. I highly suspect, however, that Hogan will go over here because of his superior star power, which is probably the right way to go.

Batista would be a tough opponent for Hogan even in his prime. From an overall standpoint, Batista is the more athletic of the two and strength would probably be a toss up. Neither wrestler is a technical marvel so expect each man to wear his fist out on the other's head.

I can see the first fall going to Batista. I could honestly see a scenario in which Hogan goes into the match taking Batista a bit lightly. Batista overwhelms Hogan in the first fall by coming out with his guns blazing, just taking it to Hogan in a highly aggressive manner. Hogan holds his own for a while but was caught off guard and hasn't been able to really get over Batista's onslaught. I see Hogan sending Batista into the ropes to deliver the Big Boot, but Batista grabs his foot before he runs into it. He delivers a stiff kick to the gut, positions Hogan, picks him up and delivers the Batista Bomb for the three count and the first fall in about the 7 minute mark.

In the second fall, Hogan has to really start to rally himself or he's simply not going to make it. I'd see the second fall being generally more even as Batista has tired himself out significantly just going after Hogan like a rabid dog. I figure this part of the match is about 50/50 when Batista hits Hogan with the spinebuster and sets him up for another Batista Bomb. Hogan is able to block the move and manages to roll Batista up in a somewhat sloppy small package, taking him by surprise. It's just enough to give Hogan the win & the second fall at about the 13 minute mark in the match.

The third fall is pretty much a back & forth encounter with both wrestlers just giving it all they've got, even though both are pretty tired by this time. The ending sequence is set up when Hogan manages to hit the Big Boot. Instead of going for the Leg Drop right away, he poses for the fans for a few seconds, giving Batista time to recover. Batista pops up and catches Hogan in the spinebuster. Batista then sets him up and delivers another Batista Bomb only for Hogan to kick out at the last instant. He starts to "Hulk up" and the crowd goes nuts. He shrugs off Batista's shots as if they're nothing, points at it, gains control, whips him into the ropes, hits the Big Boot and then successfully delivers the Leg Drop for the win and the third fall at around the 18 to 19 minute mark.

Batista gives him a very tough fight, but Hogan moves on.

I might have to side with Batista. Sure, Hogan is... well, Hogan, but when has he ever been known for success with gimmick matches other than the cage with Bundy? That is what's key here. Even though it's a very barebone form of a gimmick match, a 2/3 falls match is still a stipulation nontheless, and Batista has an excellent track record with those:

Hell in a Cell victory over HHH
Hell in a Cell victory over Undertaker
Stretcher Match victory over HBK
Bull Rope match victory over JBL
Punjabi Prison victory over Khali
Street Fight victory over Mysterio

And the list goes on. Hogan's greatest moments have always come in straight up one-on-one bouts with the basic ruling, so to think he could win a match like this (especially where Batista has the stamina advantage because of athleticism) is a bit of a stretch for me

I might have to side with Batista. Sure, Hogan is... well, Hogan, but when has he ever been known for success with gimmick matches other than the cage with Bundy? That is what's key here. Even though it's a very barebone form of a gimmick match, a 2/3 falls match is still a stipulation nontheless, and Batista has an excellent track record with those:

And the list goes on. Hogan's greatest moments have always come in straight up one-on-one bouts with the basic ruling, so to think he could win a match like this (especially where Batista has the stamina advantage because of athleticism) is a bit of a stretch for me

Those are all gimmick matches, which can favor someone who is strong enough to hit the other guy with weapons really hard, like Batista. The two out of three fall aspect plays perfectly to the type of match Hogan would have with monsters, which Batista could be classified as, throughout his career. Hogan starts hot, monster beats down Hogan, Hogan has one or two failed comebacks, Hulk Up, Leg Drop, match over. This will be no different. Stamina won't come into play, seeing as how matches in Hogan's era were almost always longer than they were during Batista's time.

It's hard enough to imagine Hogan losing one match to Batista, but two in the same night? No. I can't imagine Hogan losing two out of three falls to any man, ever. Dave isn't close to being the guy I imagine taking him to that limit.

Hogan moves on.

Those are all gimmick matches, which can favor someone who is strong enough to hit the other guy with weapons really hard, like Batista. The two out of three fall aspect plays perfectly to the type of match Hogan would have with monsters, which Batista could be classified as, throughout his career. Hogan starts hot, monster beats down Hogan, Hogan has one or two failed comebacks, Hulk Up, Leg Drop, match over. This will be no different. Stamina won't come into play, seeing as how matches in Hogan's era were almost always longer than they were during Batista's time.

But then you're not only giving Hogan two comebacks (when he is already at a stamina disadvantage), you're also assuming he can either not get pinned once or will get the 2nd and 3rd fall in succession, neither of which seem plausible to me.

Lets see, cage victories over Muraco, Orndorf, Kamala, Race, One Man Gang, Andre, Big Boss Man, Savage, Perfect, Flair, Vader and The Giant.

Texas Death Match victories over The Iron Sheik and Harley Race.

Strap match victories over Vader and Flair.

Too many handicap matches to mention.

No DQ victories over Studd, Kamala, Jericho and Flair.

So you are right, all Hogan has is a cage match with Bundy.

But then you're not only giving Hogan two comebacks (when he is already at a stamina disadvantage), you're also assuming he can either not get pinned once or will get the 2nd and 3rd fall in succession, neither of which seem plausible to me.

You are completely incorrect here, but I'll give you a chance to save yourself.

Since this is basically a series of singles matches in a row, how many people can you name that pinned Hogan in a one-on-one match more than once, much less twice in the same night?

You are completely incorrect here, but I'll give you a chance to save yourself.

Since this is basically a series of singles matches in a row, how many people can you name that pinned Hogan in a one-on-one match more than once, much less twice in the same night?

I agree with you and will raise you. You asked how many people can you name that pinned Hogan in a one on one match more than once. I say how many people can you name that pinned Hogan even once? He did lose a bit more in WCW, but during his prime run in WWF it just didn't happen. Warrior is the only one I can think of clean. I never was a fan of Batista, but I will give him credit. He was a beast and really carried Smackdown for a while, but beat Hogan twice in one night? This really shouldn't even be a discussion. Hogan wins.

The "Hogan is... Hogan"-argument is a strong one! Batista is arguably stronger than Hogan, but the stamina-factor complicates it a bit.

2/3-falls matches may also follow the ancient Eastern philosophy of getting dq'ed once to incapacitate the opponent. If Batista wrestles heel, Hogan still has a chance of overcoming the odds, but if Hollywood Hogan uses that first dq... Dave's going down, brother!

The "Hogan is... Hogan"-argument is a strong one! Batista is arguably stronger than Hogan, but the stamina-factor complicates it a bit.

2/3-falls matches may also follow the ancient Eastern philosophy of getting dq'ed once to incapacitate the opponent. If Batista wrestles heel, Hogan still has a chance of overcoming the odds, but if Hollywood Hogan uses that first dq... Dave's going down, brother!

None of that really matters in the realm of kayfabe. Savage was obviously superior in the stamina department, and how did that turn out for Savage? Same goes for Mr. Perfect. And in Hogan's prime, no one was stronger than the Hulkster. Not Dino Bravo. Not Andre. Not even the Ultimate Warrior (he won, but wasn't booked as "stronger").

Batista's a top babyface, but was he ever a big enough star to make you think he'd actually go over Hogan? No way.

I came in here thinking Batista has the edge. But come to think of it, I just imagine the match in my head. Batista massacres Hogan for the first fall. Hogan be bleeding. Hulk Hogan somehow takes the second fall. But wait! BATISTA BOMB! One...two...th-NO! HULK KICKS OUT! HE'S HULKING UP!!!

Now from here is where you take it...this could go the normal route and end with the leg drop and pin, OR, Hogan goes for the leg drop misses, Batista capitalizes and another Batista Bomb for the win ala Warrior Mania 1990.

I'm fencing for the moment.

Yeah. Hogan. Over one fall there's arguments that you can make for Batista - he's like warrior or he beat Cena etc, but when you get down to it it's fairly straight forward that Hogan hardly ever lost one fall, let alone two in a night to the same guy. Is there anybody at all that beat face Hogan more than once? Andre maybe, not sure. Anyway, Hogan wins.

The two men who beat Hogan clean were jacked up unstoppable monsters like Batista...you see where I am going with this? I feel a Hogan win here though.

Great match but an obvious win for Hogan. I hate to simply repeat what others have said but they've already stated the obvious. Hogan was rarely defeated so to think someone is going to defeat him twice in one night is a little hard to believe. I do have one question. Why do I keep seeing people mention stamina? I realize that a two out of three falls match would likely go longer than a regular match but where does the idea that Hogan doesn't have much stamina come from? He was in as good of shape as anybody. He trained like a beast. People just assume a power guy doesn't have stamina. I don't know why.

Look man, I know it's lame to use the gimmick as to why someone would lose a match, but unless someone can show me a match where Hulk Hogan was able to "Hulk Up" twice, then I think Batista takes this. And this is coming from someone who likes Hogan a hell of a lot more than Batista.

Hogan kicks out of Batista's finisher, Hulks up, and then hits the big boot and leg drop. We all know it happens in any style of match, and it would usually win Hogan the match. But not here, he has to beat Batista twice. Can he "Hulk Up" twice? Batista sure can nail his Powerbomb more than once. Hulk will kick out the first time, but could he do it the 2nd or 3rd? I have my doubts about that.

Legacy and career wise Hogan trumps Batista in every way imaginable... there's no argument there. And that does play a factor in my voting, but this isn't a wash by any means. Batista's a big, tough motherfucker and in a 2 out of 3 falls match, I think he has the slight edge over Hogan. It's a really intriguing match-up.

Hogan barely gets pinned once let alone twice in a match and Batista isn't gonna be the guy to do it. Frankly, I've seen Batista lose to Edge a shit ton of times, Batista has beaten Cena but Cena beat Batista on the biggest stage passable, Taker has beaten Batista clean, in short Batista can easily be beaten, Hogan? Not so much. He has one clean pinfall loss in his entire run as top guy in WWE and since Batista needs 2 to win I don't see him going over Hogan.

Batista would give Hogan a run for his money but wouldn't beat Hogan. Batista gets more gassed than Hogan ever has and frankly I don't know if he's capable of wrestling a 3 fall match without tearing something. Hogan doesn't need to hulk up twice, just on the last fall, Hogans won without hulking up before.

Look man, I know it's lame to use the gimmick as to why someone would lose a match, but unless someone can show me a match where Hulk Hogan was able to "Hulk Up" twice, then I think Batista takes this. And this is coming from someone who likes Hogan a hell of a lot more than Batista.

Hogan kicks out of Batista's finisher, Hulks up, and then hits the big boot and leg drop. We all know it happens in any style of match, and it would usually win Hogan the match. But not here, he has to beat Batista twice. Can he "Hulk Up" twice? Batista sure can nail his Powerbomb more than once. Hulk will kick out the first time, but could he do it the 2nd or 3rd? I have my doubts about that.

Legacy and career wise Hogan trumps Batista in every way imaginable... there's no argument there. And that does play a factor in my voting, but this isn't a wash by any means. Batista's a big, tough motherfucker and in a 2 out of 3 falls match, I think he has the slight edge over Hogan. It's a really intriguing match-up.

Hogan doesn't need to Hulk Up twice. The third fall will definitely end after a Hulk Up, big boot, and leg drop. The other fall could be a DQ, a countout, or even a roll up. No Hulk Up needed, and it even could go along with the formula in Hogan's matches, where he usually has at least one mini-comeback before he Hulks Up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back