WWE Region, Miami Subregion, First Round: (2) Bret Hart vs. (31) Umaga

Who Wins This Match?

• Bret Hart

• Umaga

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the WWE Region, Miami Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WWE Rules. It will be held at the American Airlines Arena in Miami, Florida.

newaerial.jpg

bret-hart.jpg

bret-hart-picture-3.jpg

#2. Bret Hart

Vs.

Umaga.jpg

#31. Umaga

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

This works out to be a pretty easy call for this matchup. Harts' superior ability and conditioning, plus his overall ring generalship allow him to survive the brawling tactics of Umaga for the early going of the match. Bret lulls the big samoan into a false sense of security about the matches outcome, taking him into the deep waters, match length wise, and then takes over on him around the 20-25 minute mark. somewhere after the 30 minute mark,(not very long), a fatigued Umaga succumbs to the sharpshooter, allowing Bret to advance to the next round. It's not like Umaga is a bad wrestler, but he's up against the excellence of execution. Bret takes this one without too much of a problem.

We've seen this kind of matchup so many times before in the past: intelligent little guy vs. not-so-intelligent big guy. I see Umaga starting this match off strong and hitting a lot of power moves, making it seem like Bret is down and out for good but then Umaga does what all heels (And seemingly every villain in every movie, ever) do when they have their opponent in a critical position, he gets cocky. He starts shouting things in Samoan, slapping his belly, etc. But this 2 minute bout of showing off gives Bret a chance to recooperate a little from Umagas earlier offense. So once Umaga refocuses his attention on his opponent, Bret starts to trick Umaga into making careless mistake after careless mistake, and he starts to capitalize on these. Eventually he finally starts mounting some of his own offense on Umaga and gets him worn down enough that he can apply the sharpshooter on him for the win at the 20-minute mark.

Santos Prediction: Bret Hart beats Umaga by way of submission with the sharpshooter at around 20 minutes in.

Is this even a close match? I mean talent wise, Bret is just under guys like HBK and Rock. Umaga is a good big man, but that's all he is. He's a monster, but Bret has dealt with Taker, Kane and other big guys.

Bret Hart relatively easily in about 12 minutes.

Bret wins this as that's what he did against giants. He sells really well, bounces around, makes Umaga look like a million bucks but when its time for the finish Hart makes the comeback, probably gets a quick roll-up and wins. That sums up a lot of Bret Hart vs. <Insert Giant Here> matches and I don't see this match going any different.

Umaga had some title matches but when he fought the main eventers he went down. It didn't matter if it was John Cena or HHH, at the end of the day Umaga loses. Umaga had a good run, would look great until he fought a bigger name face only for him to lose. That was what Umaga did, he played the monster character very, very well but like monsters of the past they are built big so the fans believe they can beat the big faces but when the match actually happens the monster falls.

Bret wins.

Umaga is ok but Bret's ring intelligence wins here. He doesn't win by submission but this ends up being a long match that ends with Hart outsmarting umaga and winning by pin.

This is the type of match where Bret would have to batter and destroy himself to win. He definitely wins, but Umaga puts a solid hurting on him.

Remember Bret's matches with big guys - Bam Bam, Nash, Yankem, Undertaker, etc. In every one of those matches, Bret had to go a long, long time to win. He'd have to do the same here.

In the end, Bret wins with a roll up... or something like it.

No picture of Bret :(

It makes no difference Bret Hart by a mile I'd probably think 15-20 minutes I think Bret would probably win with the sharpshooter. I'd think Bret would have a problem doing the Russian leg sweep on a guy like Umaga but that isn't relevant in terms of victory/defeat.

Bret wins this as that's what he did against giants. He sells really well, bounces around, makes Umaga look like a million bucks but when its time for the finish Hart makes the comeback, probably gets a quick roll-up and wins. That sums up a lot of Bret Hart vs. <Insert Giant Here> matches and I don't see this match going any different.

Umaga had some title matches but when he fought the main eventers he went down. It didn't matter if it was John Cena or HHH, at the end of the day Umaga loses. Umaga had a good run, would look great until he fought a bigger name face only for him to lose. That was what Umaga did, he played the monster character very, very well but like monsters of the past they are built big so the fans believe they can beat the big faces but when the match actually happens the monster falls.

Bret wins.

My thoughts exactly, specially the one concerning Umaga. Umaga, just like many monster heels, was build in a way that he seemed unstoppable until he faces the big babyface. At the end in every paper view, Umaga lost every single time. Except for that time where he go over Punk (because WWE basically hate him at the time and wasn't exactly the face of the company) but not agianst a babyface like Cena HHH and in this case Bret the Hitman Hart.

As a babyface, the Hitman is probably one of the biggest names in wrestling (obviously it is even more in Canada) to the likes of today's Cena, HHH etc. Hart wins by a simple booking monster heel/babyface overcomes the odds.

I think your see Umaga dominate in the early stages of the match, But as the match goes on, Hart's superier in ring abilitie will get the better of the big guy and I see Bret getting the win with something like a small package or roll up after Umaga makes a mistake.

Yeah, there's no way Bret is going down here. As much as I thought Umaga was awesome and a complete bad ass, he could never get it done against the top talent, unless it's against Ric Flair past his prime. If Bret was a midcard talent then I could see Umaga getting the win, but if Jeff Hardy could defeat him before he was a main eventer then I can't see Umaga winning.

Bret wins with a school boy or something like that and Umaga and his shitty finisher goes out.

When Bret was in his prime guys like Umaga existed to put him over.

This would go the same route as King of the Ring '93 against Bigelow, or Wrestlemania X against Yokozuna.

Umaga would get chances to look strong in the contest but no one would ever believe he was going to get the win. Bret advances, not a shocker.

Umaga is probably one of the most, if not the most, underrated performers of the last ten years. Everything about the way he conducted himself shouted out savage, and despite the fact he obviously could speak English etc, he was totally believable in the role. I mean, honestly, look at this:

But, this is Bret Hart, not Maria Kanellis. Truth be told, Umaga never really got any truly massive wins, something Hart did do. So, vote for Hart, he's the bigger deal, but while you do so, spare a thought for Umaga, an overlooked wrestler.

Bret wins.

This. I'd just leave it at that if I could get away with it but i don't want to spam. This is exactly how I feel though.

I really liked Umaga. His progress from Rosey to Umaga was nothing short of remarkable. Back at a time when Cena still needed to be carried, he put on a great match at the Rumble. Umaga really was great.

Hart's better though. I'm actually kinda anti-Bret. I'll say something about his ringwork though - he has absolutely no weakness. Short term selling, long term selling, consistency and realism of moves, vast moveset, pyscholigically, just every box he ticks. I really can't criticise a thing, I just think Angle/Benoit/Flair/Storm/Regal/Malenko/Guerrero/etc are technically superior and calling Hart "the best technician ever" is a fallacy.

He's far, far too much for Umaga though. Exactly as d+t said, Umaga always fell to the main event babyface, and Hart is undeniably one of the best babyfaces of all time. There is 0% that Umaga would go over despite dominating the match

Anything can happen in pro wrestling. Umaga beating Bret Hart isn't one of them. Hart is a big match guy who knows how to pull out wins when it doesn't seem possible, and for a few minutes in this bout, you'll think Umaga will pull out the win, then Hart does his moves of doom, and manages to get Umaga in a sharpshooter for the victory.

Umaga would give Hart a helluva scare though. But Umaga's managed to make crucial mistakes in major matches, like running into the turnbuckle or hitting his head on the steel ring post.

Bret Hart can adapt to any style. The bigger and more vicious Umaga would not be a threat. Hart is known for his wrestling intellect and you can bet he'd have the perfect game plan for taking down Umaga. Because of his technical reputation people often overlook Hart's brawling ability. He can fight with the best of them and would have no problem moving on to the second round.

Plain and simple: if you vote for Umaga here, you're a dumbass and shouldn't participate in any other matches of the tournament.

It's an overnight, tough-guy versus one of the greatest wrestlers to ever grace the business and a wrestling ring. No brainer.

Bret Hart. That is all.

Bret Hart could have a great match with pretty much anyone, regardless of their style, size or strength. I have no doubt that this would be an entertaining match.

Hart has always been a great seller and would absorb a good deal of punishment from Umaga early on, like a babyface does. But the superior technical skill of the Hitman would shine through as the match went on and Umaga got tired. The Sharpshooter would get Bret the submission victory after about 13 minutes.

Umaga was a good talent, but he was never going to go through against one of the all time greats in Bret

I think Bret will win this around the 12 minute mark. He will get hit with the usual power moves that any big man will hit before starting to make his comeback by moving out of Umaga's way when he go's for a big splash off the ropes, Bret gets up hits him with a Russian leg sweep followed by elbow off the middle rope and the comeback is on

This will be your typical 12-15 minute monster heel vs. smaller babyface match, of which Bret Hart teaches a masterclass.

Umaga will dominate for the most part, with Hart using his resilience to kick out of pin attempts, but there'll be plenty of near falls. Then, Umaga will get over-confident and mistime a top rope move, Hart will capitalise and get a 3-count, a la vs. Yokozuna at Wrestlemania X.

Hart advances clinically.

Umaga gets my token pity vote of the tournament. Umaga is one of my personal favourite wrestlers ever and his Last Man Standing match with Cena remains one of my all time favourite matches. That said, he would, and will lose to Bret Hart. It won't be by submission, but Bret will put this one to bed. He could probably lift Umaga (for reference look up Bret vs. Vader from Raw in 1997 and you'll see what I mean) and with that ability, Bret is able to take down the Samoan Savage...dammit.

Out of all the 1/2 seed vs 31/32 seed match-ups, this is the one I would want to see. It reminds me of when Umaga feuded with Cena in 2007. Like Cena then, the Hart in this bout would have been the guy in WWE. And Umaga would have been the monster getting pushed to the moon. Well, nearly to the moon.

Hart wins. Obviously. He has all the criteria to be considered a great wrestler, and Umaga just doesn't. But let's not get it twisted - it would be a very close match. In his prime, Umaga was shit hot and would have definitely given Hart a good battering over the course of 15 or 20 minutes. There would be false finishes aplenty, but Umaga would not put him away.

Umaga gets my token pity vote of the tournament. Umaga is one of my personal favourite wrestlers ever and his Last Man Standing match with Cena remains one of my all time favourite matches. That said, he would, and will lose to Bret Hart. It won't be by submission, but Bret will put this one to bed. He could probably lift Umaga (for reference look up Bret vs. Vader from Raw in 1997 and you'll see what I mean) and with that ability, Bret is able to take down the Samoan Savage...dammit.

I pretty much agree with this. Well, at least in that he gets a pity vote from me too. I've nothing against Hart in particular, but Yoomanga entertained me enough to give him a vote here. It's not like it'll make any sort of difference in the long run.

Bret would take a lot of punishment in this match, but his superior ability would ultimately win him this match. Bret is one of the top stars ever imo, and his all around skills would take him over Umaga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back