WWE Region, Lexington Region, Second Round: (6) Ultimate Warrior vs (11) Dory Funk Jr

Who Wins This Match?

• Ultimate Warrior

• Dory Funk Jr.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tastycles

Turn Bayley heel
This is a second round match in the WWE Region, Lexington Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Rupp Arena, Lexington.

An-extravagant-start-for-Kentucky-hoops-QHFOPA5-x-large.jpg

UltimateWarrior.jpg

#6. Ultimate Warrior

Vs.

doryfunkjr.jpg

#11. Dory Funk Jr.

This match takes place 1 week after round 1.

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Yes, Ultimate Warrior beat Hogan on the biggest stage, but how long did his title reign last. Dory was the NWA champ for 4 years. Add to that the fact that he trainned my favorite wrestler Edge and you get 1 vote for Dory Funk Jr.

I think Ultimate Warrior was a waste of space at the start, and a little less than that at the end. I really found him talentless. So having said that, Dory Funk gets my vote here. In my opinion the far better of the two, would have found a way around Warriors strength.

Dory Funk Jr is a legend but he is going up against a guy who just didn't lose and in the rare occasions that he did, it was always against a heel due to interference. Funk was a face when he was at his best so interference wouldn't be a factor. Warrior was the only guy to beat Hogan clean during his prime and he would go over Funk especially in the WWE region.

I think Ultimate Warrior was a waste of space at the start, and a little less than that at the end. I really found him talentless. So having said that, Dory Funk gets my vote here. In my opinion the far better of the two, would have found a way around Warriors strength.

How? Show me one other face that was able to beat Warrior clean. You can't do it because it didn't happen. Not even Hulk Hogan in his prime could beat Warrior. If you don't like Warrior then just state that is your reason for not voting for him and move on. No reason in trying to come up with a legitimate argument for Funk because there isn't one.

If we go with the 'No one beat the warrior, not even hogan' argument than Warrior wins the tournament. Thats the end of it. What I am saying is that when a someone came up against a superstar who was bigger and stronger they worked legs, used some speed, used their wits to outsmart their opponents.

Warrior was an idiot at best, a dominant idiot, but an idiot none the less. Warrior didn't lose in his prime? Andre barely jobbed, Hogan barely jobbed, Nash almost never jobbed, Stone Cold didn't lose all that often.

Warrior is capable of losing and in my Opinion Dory Funk Jr. Was the better of the two.

Funk outsmarts the big man. Just how I see it.

If we go with the 'No one beat the warrior, not even hogan' argument than Warrior wins the tournament. Thats the end of it. What I am saying is that when a someone came up against a superstar who was bigger and stronger they worked legs, used some speed, used their wits to outsmart their opponents.

Warrior was an idiot at best, a dominant idiot, but an idiot none the less. Warrior didn't lose in his prime? Andre barely jobbed, Hogan barely jobbed, Nash almost never jobbed, Stone Cold didn't lose all that often.

Warrior is capable of losing and in my Opinion Dory Funk Jr. Was the better of the two.

Funk outsmarts the big man. Just how I see it.

Warrior is capable of losing, just not to Dory Funk. IF Warrior is going to lose in this tournament then it is going to be in either an environment he isn't familiar with or against a heel opponent who has outside help. This is in the WWE region and Warrior is taking on a guy in Dory Funk Jr who was a face in his prime. None of that adds up to a defeat for Warrior. Warrior has faced plenty of intelligent opponents and come out on top. This would be no different.

Big Sexy nailed it on the head here. Funk was a face for the most part of his career. As was Warrior. But Warrior in his prime plowed through whoever he was in the ring with. He even bested Hulk Motherfucking Hogan in a test of strength. If you can out power the guy who lifted Andre the Giant, I don't see you losing to a face like Dory Funk Jr.

Not only do I agree with Big Sexy, but I'm going to add something to it. Warrior wasn't nearly as bad in the ring as made out to be. Actually, in big matches he did quite well. At 3 straight Wrestlemanias he had great matches. Yes, I said great and I mean it. Against Rude, Hogan, and Savage, he put on great matches and he beat Hogan and Savage respectively. Those are two huge names to go over on major stages. Hogan's been talked about but retiring Savage (the first time)? That's a pretty big deal.

I know that Funk held the NWA belt for 4 years and is great. However, Warrior's run is one of the best ever and in the WWE region, Warrior isn't getting beat easily. It's a big match and he'll come through, eventually summoning the "powers of the Warriors" to win.

Warrior for the win here.

If we go with the 'No one beat the warrior, not even hogan' argument than Warrior wins the tournament. Thats the end of it. .

So? If that's the case, then so be it. There's a few people who were big enough to unseat a juggernaut like Warrior in his prime. Those were crafty, snaky, dirty heels. Not a super clean baby face. Warrior NEVER lost to a babyface in his prime. Or out of his prime for that matter.

The "idiot" thing wasn't just some thing exclusive to Warrior, all faces of the 80s were like that. They never seemed to prepare for the possibility of their opponent cheating, despite them doing it every damn time. But Dory, in his prime, was a face, so he's going to be just as dumb and try to beat Warrior straight up like a man. And he will lose. Like a man.

Dory Funk Jr. definitely has some moves that would stun the Warrior, such as the piledriver, but I can't see him tapping to the Texas Cloverleaf. Warrior would probably need a few splashes to put Funk down, but once he does, it's a 1-2-3 for him.

Winner: Ultimate Warrior

Warrior runs to the ring, gets kicked in the guts,piledriven, gets up, gorilla press slam, big splash, kneels on Funk's chest, 1..2..3

Winner: The Ultimate Warrior

I wrote a nice big post, then deleted some spam and it's gone. The bane of the moderator's existence.

Anyway, Dory Funk was lucky to get his chance when he did, very early in his career. He did a good job, but he was never the man to really make waves in professional wrestling. People will rightly point to Warrior's unblemished record and his win over Hogan, but more important than that win is the fact the crowd cheered him in doing so - not only was he able to beat Hogan clean, no mean feat, he was also able to challenge him for the audience's affection. That cannot be undersold.

This draw is tough for Dory Funk Jr. He deserves better, but there's no way he can beat Warrior at his prime. In the dictionary under "superpushed", there's a picture of Warrior. This guy was through the roof, losing only one prominent match to Rick Rude.

Unfortunately this will go the way of the traditional Warrior squash, with Funk getting in a small amount of offense before Warrior goes nuts and potatoes Funk all over the ring.

Warrior by splash. 8 minutes.

We have quite a contrast in styles here. I think Funk is more likely to end up wrestling Warrior's style rather than the other way around. Once that happens Warrior's strength and agression will be too much for Funk to handle. It would take a special kind of face to beat Dory Funk Jr. and with the charisma and popularity Warrior had in his prime he would be that special kind of face. I'm shocking even myself and voting Warrior.

As much as I would like to pick the OG Funker, I just can't, in good conscience, make it happen without being intellectually disingenuous. Warrior would slaughter Funk. Warrior going against another face is almost impossible to defeat. It's either a dastardly heel or a very, very strong face. FUnk doesn't have either.

In all honesty, legacy wise, Funk should certainly be within a shout here, perhaps more, he was a World Champion for four years, although Tasty has already addressed that.

I think if Hogan oozed charisma, Warrior was charisma incarnate, he was nonsensical half the time, but everybody loved it, everybody cheered his comebacks, and his wins. It's only in later years that various goons try to run down how good he was and his achievements (most of these probably think Hogan was crap as well, or voted Bulldog over Luger but will rave about how awesome Andre The Giant was)

The thing that puts him above other such tremendously pushed but ultimately short lived wrestlers was the fact that he had some outright classics as well, against Hogan, two agaisnt Savage and Rick Rude, in fact, outside of the Halloween Havoc match against Hogan (which was actually brilliant for its botchedness, plus it takes two people to have a match that bad, and Hogan was the only person in the world that couldnt sell the shoulder block, I still maintain Hogan botched most of if not all the spots anyway) I cant actually think of a bad Ultimate Warrior match. He was always entertaining and far from a squash artist.

Maybe Warrior wins this because he doesnt lose to faces, I dont know, I am more inclined to vote Warrior because he was awesome, and well worth the push he got and accolades collected.

Not much to say here. Dory Funk was an outstanding competitor whose accomplishments in the business may dwarf his brother's, which is saying alot. But he was never dominant the way Warrior was, and he certainly never had the career making victory that Warrior had over the "man" that Warrior did in Hulk Hogan. He only lost the title due to interference, and how many people can say they retired one of the legends in the business(for a time, anyway), in Randy Savage? Not Dory Funk Jr. Funk didn't lose much, but Warrior lost less during his dominant stretch. Funk has longevity on his side, but Warrior has the dominance factor. Funk would be forced to wrestle Warrior's style rather then vice versa, and that wouldn't bode well for him. Warrior wins this one and moves on to an incredibly complicated match with Cena.

Not only does Warrior go over here, but I am wondering in good conscience how he doesn't go over outright through the tournament when you think about it realistically. Unless some kind of over the top stipulation or gimmick is employed where some shadow of a doubt can be made, how do you really go against him? Never being beaten clean is kind of hard to argue against, and what can you really say? The Ultimate Warrior was a beast of the highest degree. To me at least, even against people with great longevity in their careers and multiple title reigns here, there, and everywhere, you just can't beat Hogan vs Warrior, WrestleMania VI, at the Skydome in Toronto, with Warrior beating Hogan. Maybe it's because I was just the right age at the time and they were my two favorite wrestlers, but I don't think much of anything tops that. The fact that Warrior owned the night, and The Power of the Warriors actually eclipsed Hulkamania makes a bigger statement than pretty much anything else you can hold next to it. How do you reach any higher or highs through any point in wrestling history?

Ba-Bomb I am inclined to agree with your assertions that if we use the 'Never beaten' argument that he will walk through the tournament. BUT people seem to flip between, oh he would win in a match, and 'he is more important historically and more talented in the ring'. When he comes up against someone like Hogan or Austin then talent and historical significance will take precedence over the actual likely result of the match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back