WWE Region Finals: Bret Hart vs. the Rock

Bret Hart vs. The Rock

• Cowboy Bret Hart

• Flex Kavana

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
The following match is the WWE Regional finals, from Reliant Stadium in Houston, TX. The match takes place under basic WWE Rules.

Bret "The Hitman" Hart
11.jpg

vs.

"The People's Champ" The Rock
54.jpg

The most interesting match up by far. It's a complete toss-up. I think it comes down to the general style of wrestling you prefer.

This thread will eventually become dominated by people arguing really convoluted arguments about how The Rock was slightly wary of the exact shade of pink Bret Hart wore and so on and so forth, so I'll just say this now - let's have a nice, clean popularity contest. Vote for who you like more.

Edit: I'll probably be voting Rock, by the way.

WOW. This is indeed a dream match. I actually think I have to go with the Rock though. Rock can't match Hart in technical skills, but the Rock Bottom isn't about technical skills. I remember a match with Arn Anderson against Ric Flair. Bobby Heenan was talking about how he was pretty sure Flair could get the figure four on him but he didn't think Arn would give up. If Arn DDTed Flair though, it was over. That's exactly what wound up happening too. Arn didn't tap and eventually got the DDT for the pin. I think that's what happens here. Bret has faced people like Rock before, but never one who drew from the people at the levels Rock did. That can play a big role. All it takes is one Rock Bottom to stop Bret cold. Now I don't think Rock can pin him after just one, but it would stop Bret enough to give Rock a fighting chance.

On the other hand, there are two possibilities. Rock has lost by submission before so it's not out of the realm of possibility for the sharpshooter to beat him. Also, if he goes for the Elbow, I think Bret could use a quick move to avoid it and roll him up. Either way I'll be fine with the winner here, but I think it goes to Rock in a fucking war with too many rock bottoms for Bret to get out of.

The best there is
The best there was
The best there ever will be

Thats right: Brett Hart

This is probably going to be the closest of the final 8. I'm going with Brett Hart for a few reasons. Although both these men have very high endurance rates I think Brett can go harder then The Rock. Both are great technical wrestlers but Brett takes this one because of his training in the dungeon. Brett applies a better sharpshooter then the Rock, and can probably survive a people's elbow or rock bottom. So it will come down to Brett winning this one by submission, after wearing rock down in what will most likely be a very long back and forth match.

I'm going with power and strength over technical skills and quickness here. I think that it will be one hell of a match and both guys will really fatigued by the end, but I'm sure that a Rock Bottom would finish off Hart, not so sure about a Sharpshooter or Piledriver on Rock.

This is definately a fascinating match. Bret Hart is the embodiment of a technical wrestler and has all the components that the IWC often defines as a "real" wrestler; he has a thick selection of moves and submissions within his arsenal. He'd masterfully attack his opponents, often times the legs, and ultimately submit them. And, on the other side of the token, you have The Rock, who is undoubtedly a massive, top tier draw. He was largely a brawler with a slight technical edge.

Both men have been numerous time champions and have defeat high calibur entertainers. With all that being said, I'm voting for the Rock. Primarily i'm voting him because he is a better wrestler, indicated by his drawing aptitude. He's got the phycology, emotional involvement, showmanship, stc. I see this being a long, brutal match, that'd see the Rock finally deliver the people's elbow.

It all boils down to who loves what wrestler more. If that's the case, Bret Hart will win. BUT. I'm taking the People's Champion in this one. KB summed it up best. Sudden finishers are better than submissions. Bret Hart doesn't simply have a quick finisher. He has to wear down the opponent to the point of slapping the sharpshooter on the opponent. Plus, The Rock has a sharpshooter of his own. So, Rock can counter fire with fire. Overall, despite the technical aspects of the match with Bret, I have to take Rock. Rocky feeds off the crowd. Bret will DETEST this Houston crowd and that could work against him.

VOTE ROCK!

No-brainer here....Bret's diverse moveset and knowledge of different holds and counterholds make him one of the greatest amatuer style wrestlers of all-time....Bret's shown himself to be very effective working different styles compared to The Rock....Rock is going to have a difficult time countering Bret's strong ground game and could very well submit early....Winner, Bret "Hitman" Hart

Obviously, Bret's credentials in 24 years far outweigh anything Rock has accomplished....Rock was a strong draw but the same can be said for the other main-event calibur wrestlers during the Attitude Era (An Era Bret was instrumental in helping create)....The Rock (unlike Hart) benefited from great timing...Steve Austin's character was mostly responsible for the boom period and The Rock helped sustain it...Rock by no means would have had the same global impact Bret had from 1992-1997....Bret quite simpily was one of the biggest international draws of all-time despite the negative public feelings on wrestling due to steroids....Hart was voted twice most popular athlete in Europe, most popular athlete in Japan, and most popular superstar six times from 1992-2000....The Rock was a strong performer from 1998-2002 but Bret's star shined bright for many more years whether wrestling in Stampede for his father, the UK, or the USA.

The Rock shined on wrestling's biggest stage, Bret just shined brighter.....Bret's Wrestlemania matches with Owen, Austin, HBK are not only considered three of the best in Wrestlemania history but three of the best period....The quality of Bret's matches completely dwarf anything The Rock....The Rock may have the edge as far as showmanship is concerned but overall Bret takes the cake.

This goes to the Rock, and here's why. If we take Bret Hart's prime to be his WWF era from 1990 to 1997, he had the oppurtunity to wrestle some of the most charismatic wrestlers of all time in Hogan, Warrior, Savage et a. Hart never faced Hogan at this time, nor the Warrior, and he lost to Savage. The principal reason for this is that he wouldn't have been a believable contender for these men. It's as simple as that.

If nothing else, we can look at the match that Bret Harthad against Rocky Maivia. Bear in mind that that was in March 1997, in the height of Bret's prime, and when Rocky had been in the company for less than 5 months. Hart couldn't put him away, and then people ran in. If Rocky Maivia could handle Bret Hart, then the older, wiser, and less green The Rock, would be able to beat him comfortably, I reckon.

If we're talking popularity, I've never heard anyone say "I stopped watching wrestling when Hart got injured", and the viewing figures confirm this. I've heard a big hoard of people say "I stopped watching wrestling when Rock left", and the ratings show that it's not only people I know who think this.

I'm going with Bret. I like KB's argument about how the Rock Bottom can finish Bret, quicker than the SharpShooter can finish Rocky, but I don't think it's valid here. First, The Rock is not as tough as Arn Anderson. Arn would never tap, because it's not in his blood. Rock has quit. Also, the DDT is a tougher move than the Rock Bottom. And, Bret beat Flair, so through the process, we can say that Bret would take the Rock Bottom, better than Flair took a DDT.

Besides all that (^^), I just think Bret is a far better wrestler. Had he been able to have a prime during the Attitude Era, I'm sure he would've been just as big as Rocky. Maybe not on Stone Cold levels, but he would've been big. He's just too good in the ring for Rocky to beat. It'll be a hell of a match, and will have fans torn, but I think Bret takes the win.

Bret Hart is the better wrestling in this match and he is going to get my vote. I really don't think that the Rock throws are Hart will keep him down for the 3 count and win. Hart is a god when it comes to being a technical wrestler and he is one of the best if not the best technical wrestler that ever lived. I think he would more than capable of holding his own in this match and I think he could reverse and counter everything the Rock tries to do. In my opinion this would make for a very good match and I will be voting for the person who in my opinion is the better wrestler of the two which is Bret "The Hitman" Hart. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rocky get the win but at least I am hopeful that Bret has a pretty good chance of winning this match.

Bret Hart is along wide Kurt Angle the best technical wrestler in history. However, Rock has beaten Kurt numerous times showing he can deal with technical wrestling. I am not saying "Rock beat Angle so he beats Hart", I am implying there is no evidence that Bret could win by his superior technical skills.

People are saying the Rock does tap out, but if you are looking at his prime he didn't. In his pre prime he tapped out numerous times, during his prime (2000-2002) I don't remember him tapping in a match up. He took the ankle lock, which I would deem more dangerous than the sharpshooter. He has a high threshold to pain so Bret would have to nearly kill him to make him tap.

Let's not forget The Rock has his own version of the sharpshooter so will have witnessed first hand how it is reversed, and will have picked that up. And on a light hearted note, last time Hart was put in a sharpshooter he lost didn't he? Tapping like a baby in Montreal.

As for the match it will be a war. The Rock would start on fire as he always does. hart would definitely work this one as the heel, dominating the middle part with various holds and moves. One Rock bottom might not put Hart away, but when The Rock Bottom is kicked out of, another one is hit before the opponent knows what's hit them. Two, or even three, Rock Bottom's will put Hart away in the most epic of battles.

Bret Hart, arguably the greatest technical wrestler of all time, going against The Rock, a man who could make a case for being the greatest wrestler of all time. I dont think Bret would ever have been as big as The Rock had he remained in WWF for the attitude era, he'd have been up there with Undertaker, dependable but not one of the mega stars.

Bret's technical ability is fine, but it really isnt the huge advantage some of the IWC would have you believe, it's no better than being a good power wrestler or brawler, just means you know a few more holds than your opponent, Rock's used to good technical wrestlers, he's beaten enough of them.

It'd be one hell of a match, people talk about Hart vs Angle, this is the one I'd rather watch. Both men would make the other look amazing, Rock would sell Bret's wear downs and Bret would make Rocky's comeback look heroic. In the end I think a Rock Bottom and People's Elbow would put The Hitman down.

Bret Hart vs. The Rock is a great match, a dream match. Whoever wins deserves to go through because they are both great professional wrestlers. However I am backing Hart all the way to the end.

In terms of kayfabe I will admit that Rock might have an edge, as he was a bigger star than Hart. There may be an argument that a prime Rock won't submit to the Sharpshooter, and admittedly it will be hard. But if I remember correctly, Rock has tapped out to Benoit and Angle, so it's definitely possible for him to tap out to Hart. And also, Hart is known for being able to finish his opponents off in so many different ways, so if Rock won't tap, Hart could still have a great chance to win, by catching Rock off-guard with some kind of pinning combination.

As far as who is the better professional wrestler, I think it's very close. There is no doubt in my mind that if Rock would have stayed in wrestling he would have been the clear 2nd greatest wrestler of all time by now, behind Hogan. He was simply that good. But the fact is, he was only around for about 7 years. Hart wrestled for over 20 years, had more great matches than anyone, and was the best storyteller the business has ever seen.

There is no wrong winner in this match. This will be very close, but I'm backing Hart all the way.

This one goes to Rock, plain and simple. The Hitman is probably a better wrestler move for move, hold for hold, but lucky for the Rock, that doesn't always win matches. Women's basketball players are better fundamentally, I still wouldn't pick a one of them over a cocky arrogant SOB like a Kenyon Martin or Allen Iverson.

Bret Hart was the top dog in what was arguably the lowest point for the WWF. His title reigns pretty much consist of big matches agaisnt his Brother In Law, and Brother, and a bad feud with a 40 something 20 year out of his prime former Wrestler.

Bret Hart has never, ever been in the ring with someone as cocky as the Rock, and the ability to back it up. The Rock has a smash mouth style that simply will over whelm the Hitman in this match up. I'd imagine the Rock can beat him with one, if not two or three Rock Bottoms, and then the Hitman goes home.

It should be pointed out that Bret's feuds in the 90's (Austin, HBK, Owen) were some of the best of all-time....Bret's achievements in the business completely dwarf The Rock....Both men are widely respected for the right reasons but the fact is Bret in 24 years in the business did more for the game than Mr Rock.

Oh, the Austin/Rock lovers are gonna love me for this one. I'll be voting Bret Hart, for no other reason than because he's simply better. Much like most people believe Austin carried a Company in its greater time frame than Edge.. Bret Hart was the torch that went on from Hulk Hogan, the Ultimate Warrior, Randy Savage and Ric Flair. Hart means just as much, if not more to the business than Rock ever will.

This match-up is all about skill and the Rock barely holds a candle to what Bret Hart can showcase here, especially in an opening round match-up. I seem to recall Hart defeating Scott Hall, followed by Curt Hennig and then a well rested Bam Bam Bigelow - all to become the first (official) King of the Ring. Rock, in the one-night version of the tournament, defeated Dan Severn, then lost to Ken Shamrock. But I suppose that's neither here, nor there.

Klunker seems to think the Rock Bottom is a finisher that Hart won't be able to escape. Because apparently no one's repeatedly busted the Rock upside the head enough times to counter it. :headscratch: Oh, but this is the best part. Rock has applied the Sharpshooter to countless victim's, but has he ever made anyone submit from it? I'll assume so, since he kept using it..

HOWEVER, to counter-act Klunker's assumption that Hart can't keep countering the Rock Bottom - the Rock wouldn't be able to counter and escape the true master of the Sharpshooter. Oh, but this is where it gets good. Rocky is cocky and arrogant enough to believe he can make Hart quit from the Sharpshooter. Hart, (like he's done to Owen) will sweep Rock's legs and reverse directly into a Sharpshooter of his own - thus, making Rock tap to the true master of the submission hold.

Rock is the entertainment aspect of the Industry, no arguing that. So when Hart beats him and moves on, Rock can go to the back and cut some more classic one-liners on how he's gonna eat some jabroni's pie, in his aptly named Hotel, down the street on a corner that doesn't fucking exist!

The Rock takes this one.

I am a Hart fan as well as a Rock fan. Did Bret Hart put on more 5-star classics than The Rock did? Yes. But putting on 5-star matches does not automatically make him unbeatable in the ring. Rocky is very underrated as an in-ring performer, in my opinion. No, he is not as good as Hart in the ring, but he is still good. But really, there is nothing that Hart can throw at Rock cannot handle.

I seem to recall Hart defeating Scott Hall, followed by Curt Hennig and then a well rested Bam Bam Bigelow - all to become the first (official) King of the Ring. Rock, in the one-night version of the tournament, defeated Dan Severn, then lost to Ken Shamrock.
- This was also before what I would consider The Rock's prime, while he was a cowardly heel and still pre-World Champion. From The Rock's true prime, which I consider to be mid-'99 through '02, The Rock did not ever, not once, lose cleanly to anyone except for one man: Brock Lesnar, who in my opinion should also still be in this tournament but I digress...

But from that time period, mid-99 - 2002, The Rock did not lose cleanly to Austin, to Taker, to ANGLE, to Triple H, to Benoit, to Jericho, to Kane, to anybody. While during Hart's prime of what I would consider 92-97, he lost plenty of matches clean: including to the likes of Owen Hart and The British Bulldog, who while may have been great wrestlers never had any real great success in the WWF, and countless other clean losses.

For those that say The Rock has and will submit, I say bullshit. This tournament is about wrestlers' primes, and during The Rock's prime, he did NOT tap out. 99-02, Rocky did not tap out once. Sure, when he was the cowardly heel of 1998 he tapped to Ken Shamrock, but that's about it. The Rock has withstood several submission holds, including the Sharpshooter itself by men like Steve Austin at WrestleMania 17, and no, Austin is not the master of the Sharpshooter but give me a break. Its the same move, it could not be applied that differently by different men. Rock withstood the Ankle Lock, which has made men like Austin, Jericho, Benoit, Edge, Cena, Lesnar, and countless others tap out, including The Undertaker (Summer of 2002, check it). Rock never once tapped to the move. The argument of The Rock tapping out to the Sharpshooter is not a feasable one, in my opinion; Rocky just won't give up.

Then there comes the impact to the business. Sure, Hart may have influenced several men throughout his time in the WWF, and he may have been the top man (during some of WWF's weakest years, mind you). But guess what The Rock did? With Austin, Rock turned the end of the 1990's into the biggest boom period of pro wrestling since the Hogan era. And guess what else? When Austin left to get neck surgery in November of '99, who carried the WWF even further than it had albready been? The Rock. I have heard that 2000 was the most succesful year in WWF history, and who was the main man that year? That's right, The Rock.

Whether you want to admit it or not, The Rock, in a career that was less than half the length of Bret Hart's, did more for the business than Hart ever could. Like I said, I am not discounting that Hart put on a ton of classic matches, feuds, and moments, but in the big picture, that's not what matters. What matters is money, ratings, buyrates, merchandise, etc. And in all of those categories, The Rock tops everyone (other than Austin/Hogan) ever, including Bret Hart, who is not even near The Rock in that category.

- Kayfabe, you cannot vote against The Rock here. He has beaten better men than Hart, he never lost clean during his prime. Unlike "The Hitman."
- Historical impact, you can not vote against The Rock. Nobody can deny that The Rock is more important to the WWF's success than Bret Hart.

Sorry to Bret Hart, whom I am a big fan of; he puts on a great fight/match, but in the end he does what his main job was throughout his career: he makes his opponent look good. In this match, Bret Hart will do what he does best, and that's put on a 5-star classic, and put The Rock over.

The Rock wins, end of story.

I'm going with the People's Champion for this.

Why? Because if I have to be honest, I feel Hart's style and method is slow and dull. Sure he's a brilliant technical wrestler, but then so is Angle and Benoit and they're quicker at applying technical moves compared to Hart.

I think The Rock is an all-round complete competitor, he has speed, strength and a great range of ring moves. Granted he has a variation of Hart's finisher it there and I think there's only ever been one person who tapped out and lost in a hold (and it was an elimination match). I just think that Hart's finisher is not enough to finish Rocky off, the one point I make is because Austin did not tap out to Bret, so why would the Rock in his prime do that now? I just think that Bret's technical abilities make him too slow compared to The Rock would be able to get in there and out quicker than JR saying "slobber knocker".

Also, Rock has countered the Sharpshooter before, granted it was a version applied by Austin, I just think Rock has Bret covered with his moveset. It's a WWE ring and The Rock is home here, it's a 1-2-3 win for him and his people.

Also, the DDT is a tougher move than the Rock Bottom. And, Bret beat Flair, so through the process, we can say that Bret would take the Rock Bottom, better than Flair took a DDT.

Rock uses the DDT n his regular move set, as well as the Spinebuster, the two moves Arn is known for using he uses as set up moves for the Peoples Elbow an Rock Bottom, Rock also knows how to lock in the sharpshooter, so you have to imagine he'd use it here, if Bret kicked out of the Rock Bottom Rock would just hit him with another, eventually Bret would stop kicking out, I mean Hogan and Stone Cold did...

Rocky is just cocky enough to try and go for the sharpshooter here. He won his first WWF Championship with it, it eventually became one of his signature moves, and now he has the chance to beat Bret Hart with it. It would be too much to pass up. And at that point it's just a matter of Bret reversing it.

Bret takes it.

Rocky is just cocky enough to try and go for the sharpshooter here. He won his first WWF Championship with it, it eventually became one of his signature moves, and now he has the chance to beat Bret Hart with it. It would be too much to pass up. And at that point it's just a matter of Bret reversing it.

Bret takes it.

Bret takes it by reversing a sharpshooter? How would that finish The Rock off. Hart has lost more matches by sharpshooter than Rocky has. Yeah The Rock might go for sharpshooter, and it won't help him win but neither will Bret's. It ends with two or three Rock Bottoms and maybe a People's elbow for the finishing touch after a war.

The Rock has lost via submission to all of the wrestlers with submission finishers he has ever faced. Mankind, Ken Shamrock, Benoit, Jericho, Angle. Why wouldn't he lose to Bret Hart's Sharpshooter, which is very rarely escaped/came back from?

The Rock has lost via submission to all of the wrestlers with submission finishers he has ever faced. Mankind, Ken Shamrock, Benoit, Jericho, Angle. Why wouldn't he lose to Bret Hart's Sharpshooter, which is very rarely escaped/came back from?

When did Jericho, who has the finisher most like the sharpshooter, make The Rock tap out? Angle never made Rock tap out during a match. Mankind and Shamrock was before The Rock's prime. Benoit was after The Rock's prime during Benoit's massive push.

The Rock has his own sharpshooter so he knows how the move it works and will have witnessed first hand how the move is reversed meaning he will know how to do it. Forget any notion of this match ending by submission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back