WWE RAW!-Why does it work?

TSG

Too Sweet To Be Sour
WWE RAW! is a simple concept: a weekly prime time program that showcases wrestling. But what made it catch fire so easily? Was it the escape from real life? The exciting prospect of the wrestling? The prime time slot combined with nothing else to watch? Something as simple as the color scheme? But with something as simple as an idea like RAW!, you wouldn't think it'd catch on like it really did. So what caused it to catch fire?

I think it could be any combination of things. For me it was the escape. it was something I could sit down and watch every week and just get away from life. I think that's what it is for most people also. Just a way to relax and escape once a week.

So what do you think it was? Discuss away.

The factors you named are all valid, and I would add two more things: Today, WWE produces 5 hours of original programming per week. Back then, it was only 1 hour per week. That's all there was and it made watching RAW a must-see experience for those who wanted to keep up on the latest developments. In today's climate, if you miss RAW, you can see it's highlights by watching Smackdown (and vice-versa), thereby reducing the urgency of watching all 5 hours of programming every week. Back then, if you missed, RAW, you lost out.

Additionally, the way they set up the show was terrific. The Manhattan Center was a cozy, intimate venue for a wrestling show, in contrast to the huge, cold arenas that are used today. You felt that the product was being brought right up close to the fans.....because it was! Remember that Afro-American guy who wore the Bob Backlund t-shirt? He was there every week, for pete's sake. I wish the company still did shows there.

Right from the start, Monday Night RAW was unique in it's format and delivery. It took a Vince McMahon to come up with it.....and it remains his finest "hour."

I still remember January 11th 1993 I was getting ready to watch WWF Prime Time Wrestling and all of a sudden 9:00 P.M. comes around WWF Monday Night RAW come on in a way I was mad but shocked and happy at the same time with a new WWF show anyone who don't know what WWF Prime Time Wrestling was it was basically a studio show with Vince McMahon Hillbilly Jim Bobby '' The Brain '' Heenan and Mr. Perfect talking about WWF Superstars Of Wrestling or All American Wrestling or talking about Survivor Series Wrestle Mania Summer Slam or The Royal Rumble. Now fast forward 18 years later and why does it work because every week is different you have different story lines now then you did WWE travels to different arenas back in 93 they stayed at The Manhattan Center now they have 2 hours and 5 -20 minutes ( depending ) back in 93 1 hour of RAW the set really basic a hugh RAW Sign where the wrestlers come out from now they have a BIG Stage and Pryo so the question is why does it work different times from 18 years ago to now plain and simple.

It had the right progression really. Before MNR you had the top guys in squash matches on Superstars and you'd get a little more with primetime wrestling. To get a card full of top matches you either had to buy the ppv or watch SNME, then all of a sudden Raw came on and it was all top guys facing each other. It wasn't really till WCW started Nitro that monday became a wrestling night to me though. Ultimately though, it was that shift from squash matches to ppv quality every week filled with surprises etc.

The timing of the shows may have something to do with it, if it were not for monday night raw, i would have nothing to look forward to and mondays would suck worse. The same goes with the pay per views, sunday is the worst weekend day because you know monday is right around the corner but pay per views more than make up for sundays. Smackdown enhances the excitement that friday brings, you have the weekend ahead of you and yo get to watch smackdown. There are many other factors but i think the timing was an important factor too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back